Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban Meyer Hired. It's official!

(01-18-2021, 05:53 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I just don't get the optimism hiring a guy who QUIT (and lied, calling it health issues or family comes first lol) when the times got hard.

He was happy as a pig in crap until Nick Saban got hired at Alabama... got beat in the SEC Championship and then the next season (after losing his OC, Mullen) lost a bunch to a bunch of loser teams and QUIT. Just plain quit. And then did the same exact thing to OSU. Without perfect pieces in place he can't win... and once those pieces leave he quits - cause he knows he sucks and can't compete.

There's a difference between cautious pessimism ("Meyer quit on his previous teams, in two years I think he'll be out.  Then Lawrence will probably have to learn another scheme, and the last thing we want is him ruining Lawrence.")  and unbridled hatred ("OMG I CAN"T BELIEVE HE HIRED A STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACH I'VE NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE!  WHAT AN AWFUL HIRE!  AND HE FIRED JOHN IZDIK?  EVEN THOUGH THAT'S PROBABLY KHANS DECISION AND NOT MEYERS HOW TERRIBLE THAT HE FIRED IZDIK!")

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-18-2021, 07:45 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 05:40 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I know right. How stupid is this team. I don’t know why khan doesn’t consult the members on this board before making every decision. We would have already won at least 5 Super Bowls by now. gosh what and idiot.

We'll to be fair, the naysayers have a point. Everyone knows the college game is different. The field is only 60 yards long, the ball looks more like a softball and college teams don't use quarterbacks. Tackling is also illegal. Meyer will probably really struggle to adjust.

See? SEE?? I knew it!

I wasn’t thrilled about the hire but what’s done is done. Nothing to do now but wait and see. People declaring they won’t buy tickets or support the team are getting way too emotional. Plus, think about all that crow you’ll have to eat if you’re wrong.

(01-19-2021, 08:34 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 07:45 AM)hb1148 Wrote: We'll to be fair, the naysayers have a point. Everyone knows the college game is different. The field is only 60 yards long, the ball looks more like a softball and college teams don't use quarterbacks. Tackling is also illegal. Meyer will probably really struggle to adjust.

See? SEE?? I knew it!

I wasn’t thrilled about the hire but what’s done is done. Nothing to do now but wait and see. People declaring they won’t buy tickets or support the team are getting way too emotional. Plus, think about all that crow you’ll have to eat if you’re wrong.

I don't like the guy but he's the coach now. Go Jags.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-19-2021, 08:34 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 07:45 AM)hb1148 Wrote: We'll to be fair, the naysayers have a point. Everyone knows the college game is different. The field is only 60 yards long, the ball looks more like a softball and college teams don't use quarterbacks. Tackling is also illegal. Meyer will probably really struggle to adjust.

See? SEE?? I knew it!

All of the foot stomping and teeth gnashing...and none of these people know if 'their guy' would do any better.  Especially since...you know...the season hasn't even started yet.

I'd bet nobody knew who the hell Coughlin was prior to his initial hiring.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-19-2021, 08:38 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 08:34 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: See? SEE?? I knew it!

All of the foot stomping and teeth gnashing...and none of these people know if 'their guy' would do any better.  Especially since...you know...the season hasn't even started yet.

My initial concern was the complete lack of NFL experience, but Meyer seems intelligent and disciplined enough to pull it off. 

The other concern is his tendency to abruptly quit, usually under scandal. However, to his credit he doesn’t leave the cupboards bare. 

My expectation at this point is he lasts no longer than five years but builds a decent degree of success for the franchise.

(01-19-2021, 08:49 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 08:38 AM)RicoTx Wrote: All of the foot stomping and teeth gnashing...and none of these people know if 'their guy' would do any better.  Especially since...you know...the season hasn't even started yet.

My initial concern was the complete lack of NFL experience, but Meyer seems intelligent and disciplined enough to pull it off. 

The other concern is his tendency to abruptly quit, usually under scandal. However, to his credit he doesn’t leave the cupboards bare. 

My expectation at this point is he lasts no longer than five years but builds a decent degree of success for the franchise.

I've come to believe that the success (or lack thereof) of a team has way more to do these days with the QB than with the head coach. This hasn't always been the case but it is now. Of course they're both important but if Lawrence is as good as people are projecting then the team will likely be successful. The thing about Meyer is he's pretty famous for his ability to recognize talent, his attention to detail and his demand for excellence. I think that bodes well even if the transition is initially rough.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I am a little surprised with Linehan as top candidate for OC. My 2 cents, his game plans are very predictable. He seems to work well with young QB, Romo, Stafford, Prescott, but then levels off to 8-8 ish. I think he would bring lots of NFL experience and a steady hand plus an adaptable learning environment for a new QB. But it seems like he doesn't adjust well during the game when it's needed. Hope I'm wrong. Linehan was ultimately fired in Dallas due to their passing offense never eclipsing 16th in the league.

(01-19-2021, 09:43 AM)macksfield Wrote: I am a little surprised with Linehan as top candidate for OC. My 2 cents, his game plans are very predictable. He seems to work well with young QB, Romo, Stafford, Prescott, but then levels off to 8-8 ish. I think he would bring lots of NFL experience and a steady hand plus an adaptable learning environment for a new QB. But it seems like he doesn't adjust well during the game when it's needed. Hope I'm wrong. Linehan was ultimately fired in Dallas due to their passing offense never eclipsing 16th in the league.

I mean you have to get to 8-8 and 16th passing offense before you get to 12-4 and top 5. If Linehan can help the new rookie QB get great fundamentals before having to be replaced because the Jags blew a playoff game in 2 years due to vanilla gameplays, that is a win in my books.

Not every OC/DC is great or even above average at both development and winning at the highest level. The benefit of a CEO type HC is that you can maximize what is needed for the situation of the team and players.

I'm not a huge fan of Linehan as OC. I'd like Kafka or Lynn more I think. But we'll see.

(01-19-2021, 10:11 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 09:43 AM)macksfield Wrote: I am a little surprised with Linehan as top candidate for OC. My 2 cents, his game plans are very predictable. He seems to work well with young QB, Romo, Stafford, Prescott, but then levels off to 8-8 ish. I think he would bring lots of NFL experience and a steady hand plus an adaptable learning environment for a new QB. But it seems like he doesn't adjust well during the game when it's needed. Hope I'm wrong. Linehan was ultimately fired in Dallas due to their passing offense never eclipsing 16th in the league.

I mean you have to get to 8-8 and 16th passing offense before you get to 12-4 and top 5. If Linehan can help the new rookie QB get great fundamentals before having to be replaced because the Jags blew a playoff game in 2 years due to vanilla gameplays, that is a win in my books.

Not every OC/DC is great or even above average at both development and winning at the highest level. The benefit of a CEO type HC is that you can maximize what is needed for the situation of the team and players.

I think your right that Urban will need to maximize his resources. He seems like the coach to do just that. It seemed like both Detroit and Dallas hung on too long to an offensive system that was average and predictable. But yes, the QB's picked up the system easily. Linehan worked well with his young QB's. But I believe eventually Romo began changing plays on a regular basis. In other words, he started calling the majority of the plays. In the case of Stafford, (now i'm transitioning into rumor) he worked well with Linehan in the beginning but once he was gone he felt he was able to be more flexible in his play calling and not be so predictable. In both cases, Romo, Stafford had great QB stats with Linehan, unfortunately as we have all learned, that doesn't always mean a win.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 11:17 AM by Upper.)

(01-19-2021, 12:01 AM)Mandeezee Wrote: Earlier in this thread, or perhaps another one, a few people took offense to my criticizing "bumpkins". I present you the example I was referring too!

The outbursts we've just witnessed are an example of a bumpkin...a country, small-time, bumpkin!

These are the people who hold this team, and this city back folks!!! They want the team ran like a HS team, and the city like a town with a population of 500.

They're the reason why the city Jacksonville is a laughing stock nationally, and why people don't think Jacksonville has a big enough mentality to have an NFL team.

What Khan and Urban are about to do, is make BIG BOY moves. And I'm sorry but a large portion of the population here...are bumpkins.

They don't understand WHAT comes with stepping into the big leagues. That you may have scum on your team. Matter fact, you will have scum on your team. But does that team WIN is all that matters.

Sorry, but isn't hiring Meyer the bumpkin thing to do? The idiotic national media constantly says it was a mistake to give Jax a team because it's a college town who likes the gators more than the jags. Now we go and play to their hand by hiring a college coach (oh yeah who coached the gators) with zero NFL experience to basically be the team czar and run it like a college program. That's a lot more bumpkin than hiring one of the hot NFL coordinator names IMO.

(01-19-2021, 11:15 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 12:01 AM)Mandeezee Wrote: Earlier in this thread, or perhaps another one, a few people took offense to my criticizing "bumpkins". I present you the example I was referring too!

The outbursts we've just witnessed are an example of a bumpkin...a country, small-time, bumpkin!

These are the people who hold this team, and this city back folks!!! They want the team ran like a HS team, and the city like a town with a population of 500.

They're the reason why the city Jacksonville is a laughing stock nationally, and why people don't think Jacksonville has a big enough mentality to have an NFL team.

What Khan and Urban are about to do, is make BIG BOY moves. And I'm sorry but a large portion of the population here...are bumpkins.

They don't understand WHAT comes with stepping into the big leagues. That you may have scum on your team. Matter fact, you will have scum on your team. But does that team WIN is all that matters.

Sorry, but isn't hiring Meyer the bumpkin thing to do? The idiotic national media constantly says it was a mistake to give Jax a team because it's a college town who likes the gators more than the jags. Now we go and play to their hand by hiring a college coach (oh yeah who coached the gators) with zero NFL experience to basically be the team czar and run it like a college program. That's a lot more bumpkin than hiring one of the hot NFL coordinator names IMO.

I think your assessment makes sense if Meyer had never gone to OSU and won a NT there. It's not like other NFL haven't asked Meyer if there is interest. I'm sure there have been dozens over the past decade.

The issue is that the the sample size of successful Coach/GM's pairings is so small that it impossible to have a perfect formula. Even the retread path, the hot-shot OC/DC, or GM-centric models have more failures than successes. If anything, that proves that using that using any of those metrics to judge for future success is foolhardy. 

The Jags will gain respect when they win. It doesn't matter how they get there.

And until they do, the national press will always make fun at their expense.

yeah, then when Dallas opens up the checkbook to get Lincoln Riley, its a genius move

Got it

I appreciate Shahid Khan taking this risk. I hope it pays off. If it does he will be a genius. If not he may be reduced to Chaka Khan

(01-19-2021, 11:15 AM)Upper Wrote:

There's an argument to be made that what you say is true.

Bumpkin, I'm referring too are the people who are butt heart because Meyer doesn't appear to be a good Christian man lol.

(01-19-2021, 03:50 PM)macksfield Wrote: I appreciate Shahid Khan taking this risk. I hope it pays off. If it does he will be a genius. If not he may be reduced to Chaka Khan

Tell me something good (Tell me tell me tell me)...
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Just hope that he can succeed. Just give him a chance. BTW love Chaka Khan!
Summertime Is Coming!

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021, 01:08 AM by macksfield.)

(01-20-2021, 12:09 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 03:50 PM)macksfield Wrote: I appreciate Shahid Khan taking this risk. I hope it pays off. If it does he will be a genius. If not he may be reduced to Chaka Khan

Tell me something good (Tell me tell me tell me)...

That was a catchy beat back in the day. Here is something good:
TL
SEASON STATS

[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]CMP%[/color]
+3.4
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]TD/INT[/color]
24/5
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]YDS/G[/color]
+71.0
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]RTG
[/color]

(01-20-2021, 01:07 AM)macksfield Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 12:09 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Tell me something good (Tell me tell me tell me)...

That was a catchy beat back in the day. Here is something good:
TL
SEASON STATS

[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]CMP%[/color]
+3.4
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]TD/INT[/color]
24/5
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]YDS/G[/color]
+71.0
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]RTG
[/color]

(01-26-2021, 09:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.jaguars.com/news/senior-bowl...mmunicator

As a head coach, that is one of the traits you should look for above all else.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]