Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market under President Biden

(02-01-2021, 02:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 02:36 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: You sure are sensitive. You alright, big guy?

Can you please stay on topic Mr AfroPuff..

I thought we established that we are only concerned with numero uno. It's a great policy, btw. Really conducive to civility.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021, 02:43 PM by WingerDinger.)

(02-01-2021, 02:39 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 02:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Can you please stay on topic Mr AfroPuff..

I thought we established that we are only concerned with numero uno. It's a great policy, btw. Really conducive to civility.

You're definitely not numero uno.. I'd say numero dos..

A big ole dos..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(02-01-2021, 02:42 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 02:39 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I thought we established that we are only concerned with numero uno. It's a great policy, btw. Really conducive to civility.

You're definitely not numero uno.. I'd say numero dos..

A big ole dos..

You win the internet today Winger.   Laughing

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-01-2021, 03:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 02:42 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: You're definitely not numero uno.. I'd say numero dos..

A big ole dos..

You win the internet today Winger.   Laughing

Ouch!  GME down roughly 24.5% right now.  I imagine most of the hedge funds have made up their losses by now.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Told my buddy I would have shorted today if I played the stock market and had money to burn. Just don't think you can keep the attention span of the masses much longer than a week.

(02-01-2021, 03:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 03:07 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: You win the internet today Winger.   Laughing

Ouch!  GME down roughly 24.5% right now.  I imagine most of the hedge funds have made up their losses by now.

It’s dropped like this every day so far, but each time not as low. The volume being moved right now is totally artificial.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(02-01-2021, 03:42 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 03:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Ouch!  GME down roughly 24.5% right now.  I imagine most of the hedge funds have made up their losses by now.

It’s dropped like this every day so far, but each time not as low. The volume being moved right now is totally artificial.

Can you explain why you think that the volume is "totally artificial"?

(02-01-2021, 03:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 03:42 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: It’s dropped like this every day so far, but each time not as low. The volume being moved right now is totally artificial.

Can you explain why you think that the volume is "totally artificial"?

This is a short ladder. It only looks like the stock is being sold when really it’s not. Hedge funds sell back and forth to each another at lower and lower bids in rapid succession, tricking algorithms into thinking there is a mass sell off when there actually isn’t. They are trying to scare retail investors to get them to sell. They need them to sell when it’s low. Once the attack is over, the stock will normally go back up due to its demand. If you look at the shares being moved, it’s always in increments of 100, 300 or 500. They are playing a game of chicken to see if anyone will jump.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(02-01-2021, 03:42 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 03:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Ouch!  GME down roughly 24.5% right now.  I imagine most of the hedge funds have made up their losses by now.

Yep, I've been watching GME and AMC for the past 3 days now and +/- 30% increases and decreases are the norm ..... even through the extended hours it fluctuates up and down dramatically.  heck, I almost got back in on AMC at $13.85 this morning but I walked away being happy about my 185% profit on my initial investment --- it sure did help to offset the thursday and friday losses (from the market correction) but it's totally recovering now.   I kind of miss the excitement of waking up to see a 370% increase only to have it drop to 225% by the time i get out of the shower --- that was some crazy [BLEEP].

(02-01-2021, 04:07 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 03:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Can you explain why you think that the volume is "totally artificial"?

This is a short ladder. It only looks like the stock is being sold when really it’s not. Hedge funds sell back and forth to each another at lower and lower bids in rapid succession, tricking algorithms into thinking there is a mass sell off when there actually isn’t. They are trying to scare retail investors to get them to sell. They need them to sell when it’s low. Once the attack is over, the stock will normally go back up due to its demand. If you look at the shares being moved, it’s always in increments of 100, 300 or 500. They are playing a game of chicken to see if anyone will jump.

LOL.  Okay...  I don't think hedge funds would purchase/sell a stock like this in 100 or 300 share increments.  A day trader might, but what do I know?  Meanwhile the loss is down to -28.5% heading into the close.

What goes up must come down...

GME down 30% today.

(02-01-2021, 04:48 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: What goes up must come down...  

GME down 30% today.

I wonder when it's going to go back up due to its demand?  If I would have shorted say 100 shares this morning I could have made a nice little profit.  The "totally fake" volume today was just slightly above the average volume.  IF I was holding this stock at all I would sell it all, take my profits and move on to better things... but that's just me.

Meanwhile I saw an IPO that came out today that may be worth watching.  APPH is a new public company (AppHarvest) with a pretty solid business model (from what I know so far).  This is one that I will watch to see how they do.

LOL.  Reading wsb on Reddit is comedy gold.  They are freaking out because GME dropped another -20% or so in after hours trading.  It's hovering around $180 per share and falling.

This ladies and gentlemen is the stock market under President Biden.  A bunch of people in their basements thinking that with their few shares of a worthless penny stock it's going to somehow bring down the "big bad mean hedge funds" and they will somehow "make it big".  Others claim that it's nothing more than "disposable income" that they would have burned through in Vegas.

Meanwhile... 

(01-29-2021, 10:04 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: You are obviously old school with your market opinions.  The times have changed and the market has been hot since April (after the crash).  Everyone has their strategies, which is fine, but you kind of have a grandpa's type vision of undermining the intellectual levels of our youth.  These kids are 10x smarter than we ever were at their age (and perhaps now) because we never had the incredible resources at our fingertips to educate ourselves according.

I know you like your 25% yield that you recognized in the past 6 months on Boeing but popular innovating companies like Tesla and Roku have seen their stocks up 400% during that same time period as are many others.  Heck, when Biden won, I just on weed, EV, and solar and already cashed in on those.  I do see an added 5-10% drop forthcoming so I may selloff and buy the dip in about a week.

Yes, perhaps I'm "old school" by following a proven strategy when it comes to investing.  Not that it matters, but my overall yield on Boeing is a tad bit higher than 25% since I do take profits when it's up and add to my position when it's down.  I didn't start my position when it fell like a rock last year because I thought that I would "become a millionaire" overnight.  Rather I know that the company has strong fundamentals and will rebound back to it's prior highs in the (then) future.  To use a popular phrase on Reddit, it will "go to the moon", just not overnight.  That's okay because I invest for the future rather than the "now".

I have often said that presidential policy does little to move the market, and I believe that for the most part.  The market will continue it's climb despite having an incompetent President in office, it will just climb in other ways.

So, what’s wrong with the average person cashing in on this GME “phenomenon”? I don’t think, or get the impression, that any one here is trying to “stick it” to the hedge funds or short sellers. So why not make a buck off it?

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2021, 07:47 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-01-2021, 08:26 PM)Jags Wrote: So, what’s wrong with the average person cashing in on this GME “phenomenon”?   I don’t think, or get the impression, that any one here is trying to “stick it” to the hedge funds or short sellers.  So why not make a buck off it?

I suppose there's nothing wrong with the average person gambling their money away if they want to.  When a stock is overvalued, smart money gets out.  When a stock is undervalued, smart money gets in.  

I think a lot of people don't understand what the stock market is, how it operates, and what buying stock really means.  This includes people who think they can "#saveAMC" by buying the stock.  Maybe they can save AMC investors by enabling them to sell out at a higher price that they would have otherwise.  But buying AMC stock does absolutely nothing to put butts in theater seats.  

The "GME phenomenon" is just a pump and dump scheme.  Someone is going to buy low and sell high, and someone else is going to buy high and sell low.  I would bet the average person who tries to cash in on the GME thing is going to buy high and sell low.  Someone was buying GME at 469.  Someone else was selling GME at 469.

If you want to make money in the stock market, there's a really easy, completely reliable way to do it, that involves little effort and no risk whatsoever.  Buy an index fund and forget about it for 20 or 30 years.

(02-02-2021, 07:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 08:26 PM)Jags Wrote: So, what’s wrong with the average person cashing in on this GME “phenomenon”?   I don’t think, or get the impression, that any one here is trying to “stick it” to the hedge funds or short sellers.  So why not make a buck off it?

I suppose there's nothing wrong with the average person gambling their money away if they want to.  When a stock is overvalued, smart money gets out.  When a stock is undervalued, smart money gets in.  

I think a lot of people don't understand what the stock market is, how it operates, and what buying stock really means.  This includes people who think they can "#saveAMC" by buying the stock.  Maybe they can save AMC investors by enabling them to sell out at a higher price that they would have otherwise.  But buying AMC stock does absolutely nothing to put butts in theater seats.  

The "GME phenomenon" is just a pump and dump scheme.  Someone is going to buy low and sell high, and someone else is going to buy high and sell low.  I would bet the average person who tries to cash in on the GME thing is going to buy high and sell low.  Someone was buying GME at 469.  Someone else was selling GME at 469.

If you want to make money in the stock market, there's a really easy, completely reliable way to do it, that involves little effort and no risk whatsoever.  Buy an index fund and forget about it for 20 or 30 years.

You are a danger to people suggesting there is a no risk way to make money in the stock market. That is a total lie.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2021, 08:44 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-02-2021, 08:08 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 07:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I suppose there's nothing wrong with the average person gambling their money away if they want to.  When a stock is overvalued, smart money gets out.  When a stock is undervalued, smart money gets in.  

You are a danger to people suggesting there is a no risk way to make money in the stock market. That is a total lie.

The S&P 500 has never lost money over a 20 year period since 1928.  Pick any date, and 20 years later the market is above where it was on that date.  The average annual return is 10%.  The worst 30 year period, the average annual return was 4.3%, even after inflation. 

I suppose an asteroid could hit the earth and wipe us all out, so if you want me to amend my statement about "no risk whatsoever," I will change it to "very minimal risk."

There is short term risk, it does fluctuate.  But very little long term risk if you have the nerve and the patience to buy an index and just forget about it.  Risk comes in when people try to beat the market.

(02-02-2021, 08:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 08:08 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You are a danger to people suggesting there is a no risk way to make money in the stock market. That is a total lie.

The S&P 500 has never lost money over a 20 year period since 1928.  Pick any date, and 20 years later the market is above where it was on that date.  The average annual return is 10%.  The worst 30 year period, the average annual return was 4.3%, even after inflation. 

I suppose an asteroid could hit the earth and wipe us all out, so if you want me to amend my statement about "no risk whatsoever," I will change it to "very minimal risk."

There is short term risk, it does fluctuate.  But very little long term risk if you have the nerve and the patience to buy an index and just forget about it.  Risk comes in when people try to beat the market.

Sure, but all investment accounts require active management to be successful. I know of several people who took your "set it and forget it" approach and had retirement pushed off due to the COVID market crash. I mean, hell... they were lucky it came back as quickly and strongly as it did. 

As far as "beating the market", of course there is risk, but it's also fun. No different than going to Vegas. Just don't bet more than you can afford to lose.

(02-02-2021, 09:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 08:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The S&P 500 has never lost money over a 20 year period since 1928.  Pick any date, and 20 years later the market is above where it was on that date.  The average annual return is 10%.  The worst 30 year period, the average annual return was 4.3%, even after inflation. 

Sure, but all investment accounts require active management to be successful. I know of several people who took your "set it and forget it" approach and had retirement pushed off due to the COVID market crash. I mean, hell... they were lucky it came back as quickly and strongly as it did. 

As far as "beating the market", of course there is risk, but it's also fun. No different than going to Vegas. Just don't bet more than you can afford to lose.

Which is the issue here, the hedge funds bet and lost, now they want the government to reverse their bad decisions.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-02-2021, 09:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 09:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Sure, but all investment accounts require active management to be successful. I know of several people who took your "set it and forget it" approach and had retirement pushed off due to the COVID market crash. I mean, hell... they were lucky it came back as quickly and strongly as it did. 

Which is the issue here, the hedge funds bet and lost, now they want the government to reverse their bad decisions.

I mean, how many industries can you deal what you don't actually own? I can't sell a house I don't own. I can't sell a car I don't own. Hedge funds can sell stock they don't own? I can't imagine a scenario where I am rooting for the hedge funds and ridiculing the little guy.