Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

Quote:If they draft Clowney, I'll be fine with it.  If they trade back, I'll be fine with it.  But that's mostly because I will trust that they didn't believe Bridgewater was the guy, and that they're far better qualified than I am to decide that.

That's really a different discussion than: If you do believe it's between an elite prospect at DE and an elite prospect at QB, which do you take?  In which case, I don't know how the answer isn't QB.

The answer is BAP.

Some are sold that Teddy is "the" QB, others are not.  Some are sold that Clowney is "the" BAP, others are not.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The answer is BAP.

Some are sold that Teddy is "the" QB, others are not. Some are sold that Clowney is "the" BAP, others are not.

Usually I'm all for BAP but the position has to be taken into aaccount. A franchise, potentially elite quarterback outweighs any other player. Unless you have said quarterback on the roster already.

Honestly in my opinion it wouldn't matter if Clowney is the best prospect ever. This franchise needs a talented quarterback. More than that, this franchise needs a face. Teddy can be that quarterback. He can be that face.

I'm a huge fan of defense. But I am more than anything a fan of winning. Look at SC right now. They have Clowney. But they don't have a great quarterback. Their season thus far has reflected that, and their season hasn't been pretty. Teddy Bridgewater 2014.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Quote:What draft eligible QBs do you believe can be had in the 2nd round that will be franchise level?

First, I'd like to mention again that pick #33 is closer in value to the final pick in round 1 than it is to the 2nd pick in round 2.

Second, I'm not going to predict who the will have late 1st/early 2nd round value come April, but I will say that this class is incredibly deep and if our scouts do their job, they could land themselves a franchise QB at pick 33.

This class is incredibly deep? If that is true, then you know for a fact that qb needy teams will snatch them early before we could even get a chance to sniff our second or third choice in the 2nd round.

I'm incredibly annoyed by people who keep suggesting that we should try to "maximize the value of picks" when it comes to selecting the qb -- a position that we are in desperate need! Just because the media hype this class as deep, doesn't mean that every prospect will prosper into franchise qbs. STATISTICS have shown that almost 1 out of 5 qb drafted will have some sort of long term success with their respective team. For every Drew Brees out there, there are dozens of mid round qbs who could never made it in the big league.

Quote:This class is incredibly deep? If that is true, then you know for a fact that qb needy teams will snatch them early before we could even get a chance to sniff our second or third choice in the 2nd round.

I'm incredibly annoyed by people who keep suggesting that we should try to "maximize the value of picks" when it comes to selecting the qb -- a position that we are in desperate need! Just because the media hype this class as deep, doesn't mean that every prospect will prosper into franchise qbs. STATISTICS have shown that almost 1 out of 5 qb drafted will have some sort of long term success with their respective team. For every Drew Brees out there, there are dozens of mid round qbs who could never made it in the big league.

Lol if you consider pick #33 "mid-round". Man, some of you reach a lot.

And yes, this class is incredibly deep. There are a handful of guys that have potential to drop to pick 33 and still become franchise QBs.

I'm not saying pass on Teddy B. and hope to get a guy at #33 that pans out, I'm saying that if our Front Office likes guys they know will be there later, it is an option. This idea that there are NO other options is "incredibly annoying".

Quote:Usually I'm all for BAP but the position has to be taken into aaccount. A franchise, potentially elite quarterback outweighs any other player. Unless you have said quarterback on the roster already.

Honestly in my opinion it wouldn't matter if Clowney is the best prospect ever. This franchise needs a talented quarterback. More than that, this franchise needs a face. Teddy can be that quarterback. He can be that face.

I'm a huge fan of defense. But I am more than anything a fan of winning. Look at SC right now. They have Clowney. But they don't have a great quarterback. Their season thus far has reflected that, and their season hasn't been pretty. Teddy Bridgewater 2014.

This is obvious to anyone with a brain,

Quote:First, I'd like to mention again that pick #33 is closer in value to the final pick in round 1 than it is to the 2nd pick in round 2.

Second, I'm not going to predict who the will have late 1st/early 2nd round value come April, but I will say that this class is incredibly deep and if our scouts do their job, they could land themselves a franchise QB at pick 33.

Not sure what it being closer in value to the final pick in round 1 than the 2nd pick in round 2 has to do with anything... he asked a fair question -- what QB's will be available with our 2nd pick that can be franchise guys?

It's closer to a 1st than a 2nd.  But it's also still called a 2nd, and asking "What QB's will be available with our second 1st round pick?" will confuse most people.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Teddy can be that quarterback.

Here's the problem with that narrow view.

He could be.  Or, he may not be.  You can't convince me he's the only QB from the class that's going to make an impact on (not just make) an NFL roster.

Any number of guys could be that quarterback.

I simply cannot subscribe to this Teddy or bust mentality, that he's the only hope for this franchise.  Thinking we had our "guy" is what tanked this franchise to begin with.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 10:41 AM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:There are a handful of guys that have potential to drop to pick 33 and still become franchise QBs.

Name them specifically. "Become" is one thing; anyone can become a franchise quarterback if the stars align. Tom Brady was a sixth-rounder, after all. But the guys who get a potential franchise grade from a majority of NFL teams almost assuredly won't make it out of the first round.

Keep in mind that the vaunted "depth" of this class depends heavily on two (or three, if you believe in Manziel's NFL chances) redshirt sophomores declaring.

Quote:The answer is BAP.

Some are sold that Teddy is "the" QB, others are not.  Some are sold that Clowney is "the" BAP, others are not.

I think there is plenty of room for people to disagree about whether either of these are, in fact, elite prospects.  But if you think there is a potentially elite QB on the board and you don't have one, I can't agree with passing on them for anyone else.  I don't care who they are. 

As someone else pointed out, JJ Watt may be the best defender in the league right now, but I wouldn't regret having taken Luck instead at all.  ** Editing that line, because after writing it I realized that was a different draft year.  Point remains though, pick any other elite QB prospect and elite defensive prospect.

Quote:I think there is plenty of room for people to disagree about whether either of these are, in fact, elite prospects.  But if you think there is a potentially elite QB on the board and you don't have one, I can't agree with passing on them for anyone else.  I don't care who they are. 

As someone else pointed out, JJ Watt may be the best defender in the league right now, but I wouldn't regret having taken Luck instead at all.

I agree with all that.  The difference, once again, is how highly folks are choosing to rate the two.

Prior to the injury, Clowney was seen as the highest rated prospect in a long, long time and Bridgewater's grade wasn't close.  Since then, the gap has closed.  Yet, some still feel there's still a significant distance between them.  If the tide continues to turn and the gap continue to close,  then Bridgewater (or whatever QB should be nearly equally rated at the top of the board) would become that choice.

Quote:Name them specifically. "Become" is one thing; anyone can become a franchise quarterback if the stars align. Tom Brady was a sixth-rounder, after all. But the guys who get a potential franchise grade from a majority of NFL teams almost assuredly won't make it out of the first round.

Keep in mind that the vaunted "depth" of this class depends heavily on two (or three, if you believe in Manziel's NFL chances) redshirt sophomores declaring.

I'm not an NFL scout. I don't have to name them specifically. I trust that our scouts can evaluate the guys like Fales, Morris, Murray, Carr, etc. better than you or I can.

Quote:Prior to the injury, Clowney was seen as the highest rated prospect in a long, long time and Bridgewater's grade wasn't close.

That doesn't explain why out of a random sample of 12 NFL scouts over the summer, 11 believed Bridgewater would eventually be the #1 pick. Clowney didn't reveal the bone spurs and his impending surgery until mid-September.

Quote:I'm not an NFL scout. I don't have to name them specifically. I trust that our scouts can evaluate the guys like Fales, Morris, Murray, Carr, etc. better than you or I can.

It sounded like you had some guys in mind.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...back-class

"Quarterback jumps out as a need for the Browns, and they chose a good year to be in the market for one. I don't think any group will ever match the talent of the 1983 quarterback class, but this year the sheer quantity of talented quarterbacks in college football is higher than any year I can remember. In my mind, there are 17 quarterbacks that have a chance to play in the NFL. Right now, I don't see any of them being comparable to Andrew Luck or Ryan Tannehill, but they have the skills that a lot of NFL teams are looking for.

Remember, too, that quarterback is a developmental position. This year's group is filled with guys that currently are just good prospects. But history tells us that one or two will emerge to the top level. At this time two years ago, Robert Griffin III was just another name at Baylor, certainly not the player who would be taken with the No. 2 overall draft pick. Similarly, at the beginning of Tannehill's final season at Texas A&M, I don't think anybody thought he was as good an NFL prospect as he turned out to be. The opposite effect can happen, too. Last year, Geno Smith got hot in his first few games at West Virginia and was highly touted as a draft prospect, but by the end of the year he wasn't talked about as a marquee quarterback."

You don't think that the Jaguars will have a handful of options at pick #33 (which is closer to pick 1.32 than it is 2.02)?

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 11:21 AM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...back-class

"Quarterback jumps out as a need for the Browns, and they chose a good year to be in the market for one. I don't think any group will ever match the talent of the 1983 quarterback class, but this year the sheer quantity of talented quarterbacks in college football is higher than any year I can remember. In my mind, there are 17 quarterbacks that have a chance to play in the NFL. Right now, I don't see any of them being comparable to Andrew Luck or Ryan Tannehill, but they have the skills that a lot of NFL teams are looking for.

Remember, too, that quarterback is a developmental position. This year's group is filled with guys that currently are just good prospects. But history tells us that one or two will emerge to the top level. At this time two years ago, Robert Griffin III was just another name at Baylor, certainly not the player who would be taken with the No. 2 overall draft pick. Similarly, at the beginning of Tannehill's final season at Texas A&M, I don't think anybody thought he was as good an NFL prospect as he turned out to be. The opposite effect can happen, too. Last year, Geno Smith got hot in his first few games at West Virginia and was highly touted as a draft prospect, but by the end of the year he wasn't talked about as a marquee quarterback."

You don't think that the Jaguars will have a handful of options at pick #33 (which is closer to pick 1.32 than it is 2.02)?

Gil Brandt is 80-years-old. This becomes obvious when he says that there isn't anyone currently playing in college that can be as good as Ryan Tannehill.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM by bleedingteal.)

Quote:Gil Brandt is 80-years-old. This becomes obvious when he says that there isn't anyone currently playing in college that can be as good as Ryan Tannehill.

That was were I stopped reading.

I just want someone to give some kind of options/actual names as to a what potential Franchise level QB that they believe will be available at 33 in may?

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...back-class

Wait... there's no QB's in this draft comparable to Ryan Tannehill?

...We're screwed then.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I just want someone to give some kind of options/actual names as to a what potential Franchise level QB that they believe will be available at 33 in may?
potential franchise qbs that could be available for the 33rd pick are carr, murray, fales, manziel, boyd, mettenberger, morris. those are just from the top of my head.