Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!!

(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:38 PM)Mikey Wrote: I'd like to hear from the mods on that one, I have a feeling they were keeping the place clean. My recollection was also that the casual fan was a lot more harsh and unfounded in their criticisms that the board was. Things like being lazy, dumb or apathetic based on how he talked or answered interview questions, taking issue with his choice of clothing, garbage like that swayed their opinions as much as being the guy that got Brunell fired.

Most board members then and now tend to be a lot more even-keeled, or at least focused on actual production to shape their opinions. The dinguses in the stands that sat behind us back in '04? Well, not so much.

It was definitely a lot of cloaked racism.

Aka perceived without evidence. In a time where the boards were directly tied to the team's website, we had reputation options where you could tag posts. I do not recall massive waves of bans, deleted posts and angry posters. People didn't like his wind up the more we lost. Losing gets QBs nit picked and he followed up a beloved franchise guy.

I wanted all of our QBs to succeed. Look at all the time I wasted waiting on Bortles.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-26-2022, 02:36 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Smarter than Couglin?  Lulz

Well, he's already getting question marks from me on that, at least behind the scenes in the front office as it appears he's willing to take the job and work with Baalke.

Exactly
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-26-2022, 02:40 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No one wanted to admit that Leftwich was intelligent. It was sad.

Those same racists thought Garrard was vastly more intelligent. Why? He spoke like they did.

Garrard scored a 6 on the Wonderlic... Leftwich almost at 40.

a quick googling confirms the 25, not sure where you got 40-ish?
also, same googling showed Peyton scored a 28. I wonder if the test was conducted in Gainesville?

Interesting.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 03:01 PM by JAGFAN88.)

Trent just announced it

https://twitter.com/UncleChaps/status/14...fsrc=email

(01-26-2022, 02:51 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If it was a done deal wouldn't you thank the Jags would be very excited and announce the hire of there new coach?  Common sense should tell you it's not a done deal yet.

Who has said it's a done deal? Dilla's tweet said BL will be the next coach. Not that contracts have been signed, not that money's been agreed upon, but that the team is moving in that direction, and that's all.

For all we know, it could take a week to get everything done, especially if it includes working a severance deal with some people currently on the payroll, if'n you catch my drift.

If Shad and or Tony are dead-set on making BL the next coach, Dilla may not be wrong. But nowhere did he specify that anything was final, just eventual.

(01-26-2022, 02:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Stop. Don't smear Coughlin's name like that. It's disrespectful. You can like Leftwich. That's fine. As do I. However, let's not sit there and act like this team has not failed miserably in trying to recapture the consistency that Coughlin spoiled this franchise, city and fanbase with in the 90's. He's got the hardware to show for his football intelligence. He also has the fact that during Khan's 11 years of miserable ownership that he was at least in the building when they were one quarter away from a Superbowl appearance.

...and scared all those players away. Messiah to some is pariah to others.

Did he?  I thought it came out that Ramsey's beef was with Caldwell.

(01-26-2022, 02:27 PM)Ronster Wrote: LOL... I don't understand how anyone can get excited about this pick for head coach. Leftwich has done NOTHING to earn it. He had the pleasure of having Tom freaking Brady as his QB. Tom freaking Brady can make ANY OC look like a freaking genius and dipwads are buying into the hype, hook line and sinker. Whatever, this team is a lost cause anyway, might as well ruin another QB, it is the Jaguar way after all.
Shhhhhhh. Stop speaking truth here.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-26-2022, 02:40 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No one wanted to admit that Leftwich was intelligent. It was sad.

Those same racists thought Garrard was vastly more intelligent. Why? He spoke like they did.

Garrard scored a 6 on the Wonderlic... Leftwich almost at 40.

Byron scored a 25.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 03:11 PM by jaguarmvp. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-26-2022, 02:31 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:27 PM)Ronster Wrote: LOL... I don't understand how anyone can get excited about this pick for head coach. Leftwich has done NOTHING to earn it. He had the pleasure of having Tom freaking Brady as his QB. Tom freaking Brady can make ANY OC look like a freaking genius and dipwads are buying into the hype, hook line and sinker. Whatever, this team is a lost cause anyway, might as well ruin another QB, it is the Jaguar way after all.

Sigh.

I know you're a racist. But I'm still gonna try to educate you.

Byron would be the smartest head coach we've ever hired. Yes. That's right, he's smarter than Coughlin. This man lives and breathes football.

His whole life is football. We should be excited to have a coach that loves football AND our city.
You really are stupid. Nothing in the post you quoted talked about race. Your a trash user. Make things up to argue against yourself. You talked about race first so believe you to be the real racist in disguse.

(01-26-2022, 02:38 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:37 PM)Protozoa Wrote: Someone stuck a nerve.

I am tired of leftist freaks throwing that word out like it is candy. If I am racist, PROVE IT, or [BLEEP]...

Agree with you. Normally racist bring up race first.

(01-26-2022, 02:54 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: It was definitely a lot of cloaked racism.

Aka perceived without evidence. In a time where the boards were directly tied to the team's website, we had reputation options where you could tag posts. I do not recall massive waves of bans, deleted posts and angry posters. People didn't like his wind up the more we lost. Losing gets QBs nit picked and he followed up a beloved franchise guy.

I wanted all of our QBs to succeed. Look at all the time I wasted waiting on Bortles.
I think it was more that the Byron supporters accused others of being racist as a defense mechanism. 

Its the way of the world these days. When backed into a corner, throw the race card out. 

Its funny because the accusers of racism talk about race much more than the accused in many cases.

(01-26-2022, 02:40 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:14 PM)D6 Wrote: In relation to what you mentioned, two things that stood out on the Message Board back then were:

1. The anti-Byron people focused on Byron's 'long windup'.  
2. Many anti-Byron people were not welcoming to the enormous # of Marshall fans that came to the Message Board, because of Byron being drafted by the Jaguars.

As an Ohio grad, I don't see the problem with #2 Big Grin 
TIL, Marshall had fans

Two quick Ohio U tidbits:

1.  Jeff Risdon, one of favorite NFL / Draft writers and podcast hosts, is also an Ohio U grad.
2.  'Stand Up and Cheer' the Ohio U fight song, is also the fight song of the elementary school my late Mom attended 80 + years ago.

(1) Jeff Risdon on Twitter: "https://t.co/zUuSFD6YZL" / Twitter

(01-26-2022, 03:16 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:54 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Aka perceived without evidence. In a time where the boards were directly tied to the team's website, we had reputation options where you could tag posts. I do not recall massive waves of bans, deleted posts and angry posters. People didn't like his wind up the more we lost. Losing gets QBs nit picked and he followed up a beloved franchise guy.

I think it was more that the Byron supporters accused others of being racist as a defense mechanism. 

Its the way of the world these days. When backed into a corner, throw the race card out. 

Its funny because the accusers of racism talk about race much more than the accused in many cases.

Yet they liked Garrard, ist Garrard black?

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 03:27 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-26-2022, 02:38 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:12 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I was on the board as well and don't remember much racism talk. The main concerns were his huge windup and accuracy at times.

I'd like to hear from the mods on that one, I have a feeling they were keeping the place clean. My recollection was also that the casual fan was a lot more harsh and unfounded in their criticisms that the board was. Things like being lazy, dumb or apathetic based on how he talked or answered interview questions, taking issue with his choice of clothing, garbage like that swayed their opinions as much as being the guy that got Brunell fired.

Most board members then and now tend to be a lot more even-keeled, or at least focused on actual production to shape their opinions. The dinguses in the stands that sat behind us back in '04? Well, not so much.

I take issue in general with the bolded above. How someone answers interview questions is important and fair game for criticism.  I don't remember Byron's press conferences or interviews from when he was here as a player.  I did like his demeanor in an interview I watched with him as Bucs OC and it actually warmed me up to the idea of him. 

Alternatively, Thibodeaux's recent interview bagging Alabama kinda raised some red flags for me.  I come away from that interview thinking he's a dumb [BLEEP] and I infer a bit of "I've arrived" out of him which in my experience is a foolish outlook to have and that usually comes back to bite you at some point down the road. Pride cometh before the fall and all.

(01-26-2022, 03:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 03:16 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I think it was more that the Byron supporters accused others of being racist as a defense mechanism. 

Yet they liked Garrard, ist Garrard black?

Garrard was liked until he stopped winning. He was limited for sure but having MoJo, Taylor and that Oline sure was nice. If only we had better receivers. Ah the missed opportunities of this franchise.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-26-2022, 03:22 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 03:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yet they liked Garrard, ist Garrard black?

Garrard was liked until he stopped winning. He was limited for sure but having MoJo, Taylor and that Oline sure was nice. If only we had better receivers. Ah the missed opportunities of this franchise.
Agreed, our defense was really good too

(01-26-2022, 03:07 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:31 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Sigh.

I know you're a racist. But I'm still gonna try to educate you.

Byron would be the smartest head coach we've ever hired. Yes. That's right, he's smarter than Coughlin. This man lives and breathes football.

His whole life is football. We should be excited to have a coach that loves football AND our city.
You really are stupid. Nothing in the post you quoted talked about race. Your a trash user. Make things up to argue against yourself. You talked about race first so believe you to be the real racist in disguse.

(01-26-2022, 02:38 PM)Ronster Wrote: I am tired of leftist freaks throwing that word out like it is candy. If I am racist, PROVE IT, or [BLEEP]...

Agree with you. Normally racist bring up race first.
Guys. Ronster and JaguarLVP are on the same side here.

Choose wisely.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 03:50 PM by Mikey.)

(01-26-2022, 03:04 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:51 PM)Mikey Wrote: Who has said it's a done deal? Dilla's tweet said BL will be the next coach. Not that contracts have been signed, not that money's been agreed upon, but that the team is moving in that direction, and that's all.

For all we know, it could take a week to get everything done, especially if it includes working a severance deal with some people currently on the payroll, if'n you catch my drift.

If Shad and or Tony are dead-set on making BL the next coach, Dilla may not be wrong. But nowhere did he specify that anything was final, just eventual.

...and scared all those players away. Messiah to some is pariah to others.

Did he?  I thought it came out that Ramsey's beef was with Caldwell.

Ramsey said that Caldwell did the talking, but I don't recall if he mentioned whether or not Coughlin was even in the room. Caldwell answered to Tom, so logic would either suppose that Dave was doing Tom's bidding, or Tom would have fired him for overstepping his authority if he didn't have Tom's blessing.

The NFLPA didn't say anything to FA while Dave was in charge.
Dave wasn't fining players for going to their own doctors.
If Dave was the problem, Tom sure tolerated a whole bunch of shenanigans and allowed the implosion to occur under his watch. That's not the decisive, assertive mastermind I've heard the legend of TC be told.

(01-26-2022, 03:19 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:40 PM)Mikey Wrote: As an Ohio grad, I don't see the problem with #2 Big Grin 
TIL, Marshall had fans

Two quick Ohio U tidbits:

1.  Jeff Risdon, one of favorite NFL / Draft writers and podcast hosts, is also an Ohio U grad.
2.  'Stand Up and Cheer' the Ohio U fight song, is also the fight song of the elementary school my late Mom attended 80 + years ago.

(1) Jeff Risdon on Twitter: "https://t.co/zUuSFD6YZL" / Twitter

If I coulda given you two recs for this, I woulda.

Greetings Jaguars Fans, I am a Flo-grown, lifelong and diehard Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan visiting to see the latest with with our neighbors. I have to emphasize this as we have developed quite the bandwagon of fans. (Most seem to be from Massachusetts, I can't seem to for the life of me understand why that is.) I did see the hiring of Byron Leftwich as the Head Coach and hope he does well in Jacksonville! As far as offensive tendencies, looking at stat sheets might throw you a bit as he favors the passing game seemingly out of balance to the run game. The passing game tends to lend itself to intermediate routes that rely on timing, but sometimes require deeper routes. This means you can expect to some big plays (20+), the Buccaneers have seemed to score well in this category under his leadership. This will put a lot of pressure on the offensive line, tight ends, and back on pass protection as well as the quarterback to develop strong pocket presence and step up as needed. I have heard rumblings that Byron has been a product of having Tom Brady as a quarterback which may be true to an extent, but number wise the offense had aggressive and at times reckless tendencies under Jameis Winston as well. Tom who is notoriously careful with the ball did have a little bit of trouble with turnovers this season, but statistically may have had one of the best seasons of his career at 44 years old.

Another thing you may see is a lack of runs, or at least looking at the stat sheet anyway. While the literal carries/runs may be on the lower end and disrupt the statistical balance, expect to see some bubble and/or release screens from Byron. You could call this an extension of the running game designed to keep more aggressive defenses honest. Fortunately in Tampa, we had Chris Godwin (Possible Free Agent BTW) who could take these screens and get yards after contact, so a good physical receiver may do well. Slot receivers typically do well in Arians/Leftwich tree offenses, they used to have Larry Fitzgerald working the slot in Arizona despite being the #1 receiver just because the routes tend to favor that role.

I suspect his personnel groupings are going to favor the strength of the offense, in the playoffs with Godwin injured and Antonio Brown getting a case of the jumping jacks, we found ourselves in 13 personnel packages, but generally speaking, it was 11 or 12 personnel with a tight end occasionally rotating/motioning as a full or H-back. I do believe we ran 10 personnel more than anyone, but that might be the tight end split out, so athletic tight ends would be a must. The blocking is more throwback and downhill, I did not see as many zone blocking concepts.

Buccaneers fans will have mixed emotions about Byron Leftwich leaving. I think a lot of this is that "grass is always greener on the other side" kind of feeling. He does seem to be developing well over the years and working under Arians and with Brady has surely helped his development along. I have seen many of our offenses struggle over the years but then again, I am a fan of when this team wore orange on Sundays so I guess that's not saying much. Byron had our offense performing well with both Winston and Brady, but both were surrounded by weapons (Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Gronk, Brate, Howard, Miller, etc) and I won't say the running back we have as I fear that might be censored on the board here and I don't want to get banned on my first post.

Sorry for the novel Jaguars fans, I wish all the best to Byron, I genuinely hope he succeeds in Jacksonville.

More and more reports saying possible the deal was not done yet another candidate still being considered. Hopefully this is wrong.

(01-26-2022, 04:10 PM)3rd string kicker Wrote: Greetings Jaguars Fans, I am a Flo-grown, lifelong and diehard Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan visiting to see the latest with with our neighbors. I have to emphasize this as we have developed quite the bandwagon of fans. (Most seem to be from Massachusetts, I can't seem to for the life of me understand why that is.) I did see the hiring of Byron Leftwich as the Head Coach and hope he does well in Jacksonville! As far as offensive tendencies, looking at stat sheets might throw you a bit as he favors the passing game seemingly out of balance to the run game. The passing game tends to lend itself to intermediate routes that rely on timing, but sometimes require deeper routes. This means you can expect to some big plays (20+), the Buccaneers have seemed to score well in this category under his leadership. This will put a lot of pressure on the offensive line, tight ends, and back on pass protection as well as the quarterback to develop strong pocket presence and step up as needed. I have heard rumblings that Byron has been a product of having Tom Brady as a quarterback which may be true to an extent, but number wise the offense had aggressive and at times reckless tendencies under Jameis Winston as well. Tom who is notoriously careful with the ball did have a little bit of trouble with turnovers this season, but statistically may have had one of the best seasons of his career at 44 years old.

Another thing you may see is a lack of runs, or at least looking at the stat sheet anyway. While the literal carries/runs may be on the lower end and disrupt the statistical balance, expect to see some bubble and/or release screens from Byron. You could call this an extension of the running game designed to keep more aggressive defenses honest. Fortunately in Tampa, we had Chris Godwin (Possible Free Agent BTW) who could take these screens and get yards after contact, so a good physical receiver may do well. Slot receivers typically do well in Arians/Leftwich tree offenses, they used to have Larry Fitzgerald working the slot in Arizona despite being the #1 receiver just because the routes tend to favor that role.

I suspect his personnel groupings are going to favor the strength of the offense, in the playoffs with Godwin injured and Antonio Brown getting a case of the jumping jacks, we found ourselves in 13 personnel packages, but generally speaking, it was 11 or 12 personnel with a tight end occasionally rotating/motioning as a full or H-back. I do believe we ran 10 personnel more than anyone, but that might be the tight end split out, so athletic tight ends would be a must. The blocking is more throwback and downhill, I did not see as many zone blocking concepts.

Buccaneers fans will have mixed emotions about Byron Leftwich leaving. I think a lot of this is that "grass is always greener on the other side" kind of feeling. He does seem to be developing well over the years and working under Arians and with Brady has surely helped his development along. I have seen many of our offenses struggle over the years but then again, I am a fan of when this team wore orange on Sundays so I guess that's not saying much. Byron had our offense performing well with both Winston and Brady, but both were surrounded by weapons (Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Gronk, Brate, Howard, Miller, etc) and I won't say the running back we have as I fear that might be censored on the board here and I don't want to get banned on my first post.

Sorry for the novel Jaguars fans, I wish all the best to Byron, I genuinely hope he succeeds in Jacksonville.

Welcome and nice insight.  You can say Fournette here.  I think most were ready for him to go when he did anyway though I don't think anyone wishes him ill will with you guys.  If Shenault can learn to catch he fits the description of a physical receiver so perhaps he could fill that role eventually.