Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!!

(01-26-2022, 04:27 PM)Newton Wrote: More and more reports saying possible the deal was not done yet another candidate still being considered. Hopefully this is wrong.
Stay the course bud.

Leftwich will be the Jags coach.

Baalke is probably throwing a tantrum because no one he wanted was hired. He wanted BoB or Eberflus and the Khans wanted Leftwich.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-26-2022, 02:51 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If it was a done deal wouldn't you thank the Jags would be very excited and announce the hire of there new coach?  Common sense should tell you it's not a done deal yet.

Who has said it's a done deal? Dilla's tweet said BL will be the next coach. Not that contracts have been signed, not that money's been agreed upon, but that the team is moving in that direction, and that's all.

For all we know, it could take a week to get everything done, especially if it includes working a severance deal with some people currently on the payroll, if'n you catch my drift.

If Shad and or Tony are dead-set on making BL the next coach, Dilla may not be wrong. But nowhere did he specify that anything was final, just eventual.

(01-26-2022, 02:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Stop. Don't smear Coughlin's name like that. It's disrespectful. You can like Leftwich. That's fine. As do I. However, let's not sit there and act like this team has not failed miserably in trying to recapture the consistency that Coughlin spoiled this franchise, city and fanbase with in the 90's. He's got the hardware to show for his football intelligence. He also has the fact that during Khan's 11 years of miserable ownership that he was at least in the building when they were one quarter away from a Superbowl appearance.

...and scared all those players away. Messiah to some is pariah to others.

Not sure how much all of that was on him. I am pretty sure Coughlin has always given off that "Chaotic Good" vibe, right? Like, he's got good intentions, he means well, he just has questionable methods is all. LOL. 

At the very least. It does showcase that he was at least in the building when this team tasted any level of consistency or success in one single season. There was clearly a cast of characters in that locker room though with gigantic egos. Some justified. Some not so much. 

The biggest talker was Ramsey. I think there were a few instances that involved Telvin Smith (get my world in order, which he didn't), Smoot I think on being late or something to that effect? Then you had the debacle with Ngakoue and his contract situation. 

What did Coughlin in I think was Bortles extension. He probably had to sign off on that. From the other player's perspectives I would have been offended and infuriated as well. With that said. The antics and behavior of Fournette and Ramsey were inexcusable. Throwing punches in games, pushing your coach away on the sideline, just being a total diva. Ramsey is very, very fortunate that Stafford was able to bail him out this past weekend because there's a good chance had they went to OT that Brady pulls that win out of his [BLEEP] and people will remember it was Evans smoking Ramsey one-on-one to set that opportunity up.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-26-2022, 04:10 PM)3rd string kicker Wrote: Greetings Jaguars Fans, I am a Flo-grown, lifelong and diehard Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan visiting to see the latest with with our neighbors. I have to emphasize this as we have developed quite the bandwagon of fans. (Most seem to be from Massachusetts, I can't seem to for the life of me understand why that is.) I did see the hiring of Byron Leftwich as the Head Coach and hope he does well in Jacksonville! As far as offensive tendencies, looking at stat sheets might throw you a bit as he favors the passing game seemingly out of balance to the run game. The passing game tends to lend itself to intermediate routes that rely on timing, but sometimes require deeper routes. This means you can expect to some big plays (20+), the Buccaneers have seemed to score well in this category under his leadership. This will put a lot of pressure on the offensive line, tight ends, and back on pass protection as well as the quarterback to develop strong pocket presence and step up as needed. I have heard rumblings that Byron has been a product of having Tom Brady as a quarterback which may be true to an extent, but number wise the offense had aggressive and at times reckless tendencies under Jameis Winston as well. Tom who is notoriously careful with the ball did have a little bit of trouble with turnovers this season, but statistically may have had one of the best seasons of his career at 44 years old.

Another thing you may see is a lack of runs, or at least looking at the stat sheet anyway. While the literal carries/runs may be on the lower end and disrupt the statistical balance, expect to see some bubble and/or release screens from Byron. You could call this an extension of the running game designed to keep more aggressive defenses honest. Fortunately in Tampa, we had Chris Godwin (Possible Free Agent BTW) who could take these screens and get yards after contact, so a good physical receiver may do well. Slot receivers typically do well in Arians/Leftwich tree offenses, they used to have Larry Fitzgerald working the slot in Arizona despite being the #1 receiver just because the routes tend to favor that role.

I suspect his personnel groupings are going to favor the strength of the offense, in the playoffs with Godwin injured and Antonio Brown getting a case of the jumping jacks, we found ourselves in 13 personnel packages, but generally speaking, it was 11 or 12 personnel with a tight end occasionally rotating/motioning as a full or H-back. I do believe we ran 10 personnel more than anyone, but that might be the tight end split out, so athletic tight ends would be a must. The blocking is more throwback and downhill, I did not see as many zone blocking concepts.

Buccaneers fans will have mixed emotions about Byron Leftwich leaving. I think a lot of this is that "grass is always greener on the other side" kind of feeling. He does seem to be developing well over the years and working under Arians and with Brady has surely helped his development along. I have seen many of our offenses struggle over the years but then again, I am a fan of when this team wore orange on Sundays so I guess that's not saying much. Byron had our offense performing well with both Winston and Brady, but both were surrounded by weapons (Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Gronk, Brate, Howard, Miller, etc) and I won't say the running back we have as I fear that might be censored on the board here and I don't want to get banned on my first post.

Sorry for the novel Jaguars fans, I wish all the best to Byron, I genuinely hope he succeeds in Jacksonville.

Good stuff and welcome. Like was said before, i don't think there is any ill will toward Leonard around here. One issue that we will obviously have to address is weapons because currently it's hard to find words to describe just how bad our arsenal really is. I am happy with the byron hire and am interested to see who he names as his staff. There had been some rumbling about Foote joining him, what would the fan base think about him following byron if he does in fact get the nod.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 05:52 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(01-26-2022, 02:12 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 01:47 PM)rfc17 Wrote: I was on the board back then.  I think the racism talk is way overblown.  There were definitely people in town that didn't like Leftwich.  But I think a lot of fans weren't ready to move on from Brunell and were bitter that the first thing our new front office and coach (Shack and Del Rio) did was draft a QB in round 1.  And it likely would have been different if Leftwich had lived up to the draft status but he never did.  Folks did pick on him for his less than eloquent way of speaking but think it was more of a way to rag on someone you didn't like than anything more insidious.  Back then on the board there were many heated discussions about Leftwich but it was mostly about why we should replace him with Garrard who last I checked isn't white.  At the end of the day I think fans got spoiled with our early success in the 90s and just wanted to win.  Leftwich just wasn't able to replicate that success here.  Nor anywhere else he went.  He stats post-Jax weren't any better.  At best, he was just an average starting QB but likely below average.
I was on the board as well and don't remember much racism talk. The main concerns were his huge windup and accuracy at times.
I wasnt on the board and was talking about the non internet forum fans of the jags who have no idea about this little fancave online

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Maybe there can finally be an announcement and a press conference, so we can all feel even better about this.

(01-26-2022, 03:45 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 03:07 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: You really are stupid. Nothing in the post you quoted talked about race. Your a trash user. Make things up to argue against yourself. You talked about race first so believe you to be the real racist in disguse.

Agree with you. Normally racist bring up race first.
Guys. Ronster and JaguarLVP are on the same side here.

Choose wisely.

You said it before I could lol

(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:38 PM)Mikey Wrote: I'd like to hear from the mods on that one, I have a feeling they were keeping the place clean. My recollection was also that the casual fan was a lot more harsh and unfounded in their criticisms that the board was. Things like being lazy, dumb or apathetic based on how he talked or answered interview questions, taking issue with his choice of clothing, garbage like that swayed their opinions as much as being the guy that got Brunell fired.

Most board members then and now tend to be a lot more even-keeled, or at least focused on actual production to shape their opinions. The dinguses in the stands that sat behind us back in '04? Well, not so much.

It was definitely a lot of cloaked racism.

You had the guy who had the signature that went something like "Remember when the Jaguars had white shoes and knew how to win?"

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 06:29 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

Byron is an offensive coach and although i wanted eric B, im not upset in the least with letting byron take a swing as a 1st yr HC. Jcaldwell made me smile as a choice and sean payton made me wanna throw water in khans face to wake him the hell up to make the call lol.

Byron is cool, and hope as cleatwood said, baalke isnt the cancer that hinders his success.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

If baalke really is holding it up, he’s gotta go man. This dude is a disease who’s only out for himself. Crazy if the khans let him shake their decision. What does baalke have on them? Saxy videos or something? Geesh lol
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 06:37 PM by OzJohnnie. Edited 1 time in total.)

Maybe it will work. Who knows?

I would have preferred an established head coach rather than a first timer. This organisation has so much work to do in order to get the off-field parts working well that it seems a bridge too far to also make the on-field organisation a challenge.

Did TL have a say in the hire like he demanded? And did he approve?

I am really anxious to see the official announcement, but also realize it takes time to work details out. Trying to stay patient .

(01-26-2022, 06:12 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:39 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: It was definitely a lot of cloaked racism.

You had the guy who had the signature that went something like "Remember when the Jaguars had white shoes and knew how to win?"

That is a reference to the football movie "The Best of Times". It's a plot element of the movie.

Where is all this racist talk coming from? I for one don't like the hire because he has zero HC experience and minimal coordinator experience. I was hoping to get someone with HC experience since we have a dumpster fire in Jacksonville that needs some serious work. Has nothing to do with race. Do better with the insults.
Here we go again

(01-26-2022, 05:40 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: Good stuff and welcome. Like was said before, i don't think there is any ill will toward Leonard around here. One issue that we will obviously have to address is weapons because currently it's hard to find words to describe just how bad our arsenal really is. I am happy with the byron hire and am interested to see who he names as his staff. There had been some rumbling about Foote joining him, what would the fan base think about him following byron if he does in fact get the nod.

Foote is from the Pittsburg pedigree, expect aggression. We run a 34, so the outside backers are more pass rusher build (EDGE), we have Jason Pierre-Paul and Shaq Barrett, as well as last year's first rounder JTS who looks the part. Nobody really looked at Shaq as a premier pass rusher, but under Larry he has been one of the best in the league. To be fair, I think a lot of that is a combination of Coach Bowles scheme and Shaq's abilities, but I'd be remiss if Larry doesn't get some credit. Would be sad to see Foote go, especially considering we may also lose Bowles this offseason to a Head Coaching gig. Now that I am saying all of this out loud about everyone we are losing, I am realizing we are likely rebuilding so that sucks. I wouldn't mind him becoming our Defensive Coordinator if Bowles leaves, so that's my stamp of approval.

Wonder who he will choose in the draft... ty or huc

(01-26-2022, 07:05 PM)Preach Wrote: Where is all this racist talk coming from? I for one don't like the hire because he has zero HC experience and minimal coordinator experience. I was hoping to get someone with HC experience since we have a dumpster fire in Jacksonville that needs some serious work. Has nothing to do with race. Do better with the insults.

100% fact and agree with you.

It's always that way.  When nothing else fails pull out the race card to divert the real facts.

Racism exist but from all sides.  I grew up from a very diverse situation and I have seen all sides being racist.  Black, white, and hispanic.  Didn't know many asian people.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2022, 07:38 PM by iHaunting Raven. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-26-2022, 07:05 PM)Preach Wrote: Where is all this racist talk coming from? I for one don't like the hire because he has zero HC experience and minimal coordinator experience. I was hoping to get someone with HC experience since we have a dumpster fire in Jacksonville that needs some serious work. Has nothing to do with race. Do better with the insults.

McVay
Lafleur
Zac Taylor
Sirianni

They all had no HC experience and the same or less experience as a OC as Byron.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-26-2022, 07:37 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

McVay
Lafleur
Zac Taylor
Sirianni

They all had no HC experience and the same or less  experience as a OC as Byron.

Whoa now. Get that outta here. No room for this stuff. We obviously need better insults according to that douche bag. 

I for one am super pissed we haven’t hired Belichick yet. We need experience.

McVay
Lafleur
Zac Taylor
Sirianni

They all had no HC experience and the same or less  experience as a OC as Byron.
Lafleur has Rodgers. Taylor has Burrow. I wonder how successful they'd be with Jared Goff? McVay is the OG there. 

Sirianni gets props for revising his offense to fit Hurts.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

McVay
Lafleur
Zac Taylor
Sirianni

All whites you racist!!!

J/k on the last part.