Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags to hire Leftwich as next head coach!!

(02-03-2022, 11:09 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I am just gonna say that IMO I'd expect 6-8 wins next season with Pederson (aasuming they also hire Spielman and they have a good draft and FA)
If Leftwich is hired I would expect 4-6 wins (assuming the same as above but with Wilson as GM)

Again, just my opinion.

Personally, I would expect more long term success with Leftwich, assuming Baalke is gone (which he won't be.)

I fully expect it to be........

Head Coach- Doug Pederson

Asst. GM- Rick Spielman 

GM- Trent Baalke

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-03-2022, 12:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 11:09 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I am just gonna say that IMO I'd expect 6-8 wins next season with Pederson (aasuming they also hire Spielman and they have a good draft and FA)
If Leftwich is hired I would expect 4-6 wins (assuming the same as above but with Wilson as GM)

Again, just my opinion.

Personally, I would expect more long term success with Leftwich, assuming Baalke is gone (which he won't be.)

Asst. GM- Rick Spielman 

GM- Trent Baalke
Spielman won't be under Baalke

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 12:20 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-03-2022, 10:55 AM)NoShoes Wrote: I’m at the point it’s Byron or bust, and if it’s bust I’m out. Bled teal since I could walk in 96. But getting Lawrence was supposed to be the beginning of something, the mismanagement has felt like it’s the beginning of a funeral. Just unreal.

We've been through HELL here with gene smith, bradley, gabbert, caldwell, coughlin v2.0, bortles and others.  Now you are going to leave?  That's like surviving the Titanic and then committing suicide.

Hang in there.

(02-03-2022, 12:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 12:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I would expect more long term success with Leftwich, assuming Baalke is gone (which he won't be.)

Asst. GM- Rick Spielman 

GM- Trent Baalke

Word has it Baalke will retain his title of GM but will be reporting directly to Johnny, the Mailroom Clerk.

(02-03-2022, 12:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I would expect more long term success with Leftwich, assuming Baalke is gone (which he won't be.)

Asst. GM- Rick Spielman 

GM- Trent Baalke

I don't see any way Khan demotes Baalke, unless he's just telling Spielman what he wants to hear. In the end, no matter what Khan tells Spielman, Baalke will still be in power if he remains with the team in any capacity. He'll just backdoor Spielman every chance he gets. That's the kind of guy he is.

Asst. GM- Rick Spielman 

GM- Trent Baalke

Word has it Baalke will retain his title of GM but will be reporting directly to the Mailroom Clerk.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 12:20 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-03-2022, 12:15 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 10:55 AM)NoShoes Wrote: I’m at the point it’s Byron or bust, and if it’s bust I’m out. Bled teal since I could walk in 96. But getting Lawrence was supposed to be the beginning of something, the mismanagement has felt like it’s the beginning of a funeral. Just unreal.

We've been through HELL here with gene smith, bradley, gabbert, caldwell, coughlin v2.0, bortles and others.  Now you are going to leave?  That's like surviving the Titanic and then committing suicide.

Hang in there.

(02-03-2022, 12:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Spielman won't be under Baalke

Word has it Baalke will retain his title of GM but will be reporting directly to the Mailroom Clerk.

That's may be what Khan wants the fans to believe, but in reality, it won't be what happens.

(02-03-2022, 12:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 12:15 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: We've been through HELL here with gene smith, bradley, gabbert, caldwell, coughlin v2.0, bortles and others.  Now you are going to leave?  That's like surviving the Titanic and then committing suicide.

Hang in there.

That's may be what Khan wants the fans to believe, but in reality, it won't be what happens.
Lol, oh ok

(02-03-2022, 12:15 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Hang in there.

(02-03-2022, 12:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Spielman won't be under Baalke

Word has it Baalke will retain his title of GM but will be reporting directly to Johnny, the Mailroom Clerk.

Can I signature your Titanic and suicide quote? I will credit you for the statement. That is a perfect summation of the bad years.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I’m losing more and more respect for Spielman and Pederson with every hour that goes by. Anyone who will participate in Shad’s lunacy probably isn’t worth hiring.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 12:43 PM by D6.)

(02-03-2022, 12:42 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 10:45 PM)Newton Wrote: To me trying to connect it to the Flores situation is unfair. Byron was offered the job first out of 12 candidates, but he asked for the GM to be fired. Has that ever been granted to a first time head coach? I mean, we let Urban pick and he gave us the disaster that is Baalke. Don’t get me wrong, I think Byron had the right idea (and I hope he proves successful), but acting like the jags did not want him is lazy reporting.

I mean I'm sure that Baalke gives most people reservations you won't see with other GM's. Leftwich probably came in with a plan on how to fix the team, and wanted to bring Wilson with him. I doubt Leftwich was like "I don't want to work with Trent Baalke. I know the dude's sitting right there. But he's just that bad that I'm willing to straight up tell you I don't want to work with him."

He probably laid out a well-thought-out case for why Trent Baalke is bad for the Jaguars. Especially in terms of Free Agent Acquisition. Meanwhile Adrian Wilson is a former player who probably can connect with players. Building this team is going to be about making people want to come here. Not for a vacation. But to be part of something. And I'm sure that's a big part of Leftwich's pitch.

I mean what other owner at this point would be dumb enough to keep Trent Baalke on? Just look at who he signed to be coach in San Fran. Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly. Not a good record. Everyone but Shad Khan seems to know Baalke should go. That Leftwich is willing to fight on that, says to me he's a good candidate tbh.

One thing in particular I admired and respected with Byron Leftwich as a player (  dating back to his Marshall days ) was his leadership.  I think his leadership is on display yet again,  this time as a HC candidate.

(02-03-2022, 12:33 PM)tomfin2022 Wrote: I’m losing more and more respect for Spielman and Pederson with every hour that goes by.  Anyone who will participate in  Shad’s lunacy probably isn’t worth hiring.

I guess I don't understand this. Accepting Baalke as the GM would be lunacy. Putting Spielman over Baalke appears to be the only solution other than accepting someone like Bevel, who would be willing to serve as Baalke's toadie. 

THAT is also lunacy.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(02-03-2022, 12:43 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 12:33 PM)tomfin2022 Wrote: I’m losing more and more respect for Spielman and Pederson with every hour that goes by.  Anyone who will participate in  Shad’s lunacy probably isn’t worth hiring.

I guess I don't understand this. Accepting Baalke as the GM would be lunacy. Putting Spielman over Baalke appears to be the only solution other than accepting someone like Bevel, who would be willing to serve as Baalke's toadie. 

THAT is also lunacy.

We don't have to accept any of that. We should expect the owner to have some common sense to see what virtually every fan, NFL commentator, player and other GM's around the league see. Fire Trent Baalke for God's sake!

(02-03-2022, 12:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 12:43 PM)Sibelius Wrote: I guess I don't understand this. Accepting Baalke as the GM would be lunacy. Putting Spielman over Baalke appears to be the only solution other than accepting someone like Bevel, who would be willing to serve as Baalke's toadie. 

THAT is also lunacy.

We don't have to accept any of that. We should expect the owner to have some common sense to see what virtually every fan, NFL commentator, player and other GM's around the league see. Fire Trent Baalke for God's sake!

I agree completely about firing Baalke. I was one of  the people screaming about Baalke when he was kept as GM last year, and I've been constant about that all along. 

I'm talking reality though. The fans haven't convinced Khan to fire Baalke. The media hasn't convinced Khan to fire Baalke. The coaching candidates haven't convinced Khan to fire Baalke. The entire rest of the league hasn't convinced Khan to fire Baalke. That's our reality. 

I don't believe we have the choice to "accept" what Khan does, other than just bailing on the team. I think the best we can hope for is to have Baalke contained by putting someone over him to make decisions, and hiring a coach who has the experience and ability to stand up to him. 

We can sit here, fold our arms across our chests and say, "I don't accept it." But it doesn't make much difference.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 01:07 PM by tomfin2022. Edited 4 times in total.)

[quote pid="1448504" dateline="1643906615"]

THAT is also lunacy.
[/quote]

I feel this way because all of it comes across as being insincere.  Either you have a GM or you don’t.  What’s the point of keeping Baalke if you don’t have the confidence that he can do his job?  I’d actually have more respect for Shad at this point if he just came right out and said “Trent Baalke is my GM, and if you don’t want to work with him, I suggest you go elsewhere.”

If Baalke needs to be retained for free agency and the draft, fire him and then hire him as a consultant on a contract that ends on June 1st and make it clear that during the life of that contract, he will report directly to the new GM.

Everyone involved here is settling from the fanbase on up to Khan.  I want better than that.  I expect better than that.  This is high school drama.

I guess what I’m saying at the end of the day, for me at least, is it’s “No Baalke or Bust.” It’s not even about Baalke anymore. It’s about earning trust, loyalty, and respect from your fans, your community, your employees, and your peers.

(02-03-2022, 12:56 PM)tomfin2022 Wrote: [quote pid="1448504" dateline="1643906615"]

THAT is also lunacy.

I feel this way because all of it comes across as being insincere.  Either you have a GM or you don’t.  What’s the point of keeping Baalke if you don’t have the confidence that he can do his job?  I’d actually have more respect for Shad at this point if he just came right out and said “Trent Baalke is my GM, and if you don’t want to work with him, I suggest you go elsewhere.”

If Baalke needs to be retained for free agency and the draft, fire him and then hire him as a consultant on a contract that ends on June 1st and make it clear that during the life of that contract, he will report directly to the new GM.

Everyone involved here is settling from the fanbase on up to Khan.  I want better than that.  I expect better than that.  This is high school drama.
[/quote]

I agree with you completely about what I want. I just don't see it happening. Do you see Khan firing Baalke at this point, after everything we've seen the past seven weeks or so? I just don't, much as I hate it.

From everything we've heard about this situation, it appears our only two choices are:

1. Baalke as GM, meaning we get a coach like Bevell who will work for Baalke. Or 
2. Someone is hired OVER Baalke, and we get a coach who can work with the person over Baalke. 

I don't see any other option that seems possible, do you?

A lot of talk by virtually everyone, me included, that if Shad had any common sense he would fire Baalke and move on. Shad is not stupid, hard headed yes but not stupid. He Wants to win. He wants the fans happy. He Wants to stay in Jax. But he Absolutely detests giving money to someone not working for him. He is also very loyal to his people. He understands the concept of paying out a contract after releasing someone in the NFL but I think his inner core is so repulsed by that idea that he keeps people on longer than he should. We are in the end, going to have to endure Baalke for a while longer. My hope is that he is gone soon after the draft if we get Spielman aas an EVP. Unfortunately this isn't playing out today I fear.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 01:14 PM by tomfin2022. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-03-2022, 01:03 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 12:56 PM)tomfin2022 Wrote: I feel this way because all of it comes across as being insincere.  Either you have a GM or you don’t.  What’s the point of keeping Baalke if you don’t have the confidence that he can do his job?  I’d actually have more respect for Shad at this point if he just came right out and said “Trent Baalke is my GM, and if you don’t want to work with him, I suggest you go elsewhere.”

I agree with you completely about what I want. I just don't see it happening. Do you see Khan firing Baalke at this point, after everything we've seen the past seven weeks or so? I just don't, much as I hate it.

From everything we've heard about this situation, it appears our only two choices are:

1. Baalke as GM, meaning we get a coach like Bevell who will work for Baalke. Or 
2. Someone is hired OVER Baalke, and we get a coach who can work with the person over Baalke. 

I don't see any other option that seems possible, do you?

No, I really don’t at this point.

(02-03-2022, 12:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 12:43 PM)Sibelius Wrote: I guess I don't understand this. Accepting Baalke as the GM would be lunacy. Putting Spielman over Baalke appears to be the only solution other than accepting someone like Bevel, who would be willing to serve as Baalke's toadie. 

THAT is also lunacy.

And the superfluous hyperbole just keeps pouring out ...

(02-03-2022, 12:24 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 12:15 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: We've been through HELL here with gene smith, bradley, gabbert, caldwell, coughlin v2.0, bortles and others.  Now you are going to leave?  That's like surviving the Titanic and then committing suicide.

Hang in there.

Can I signature your Titanic and suicide quote? I will credit you for the statement. That is a perfect summation of the bad years.

Go for it.  I'll split any royalties 50/50 Smile

Damn. Still nothing new