Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 02:54 PM by Mikey.)

(11-07-2022, 02:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 01:53 PM)Mikey Wrote: mind your head, lest the shifting goalposts bump yer noggin
What goal posts have been shifted?  It's clear that you missed something as usual.  You're getting old, eyes getting bad

heh, cute. If you've already forgotten all the shifts, I'll help you work through your Alzheimer's.

Post 587 - note that pick was bad because good years spent on 6-win team
Post 588 - copy 587 and suddenly you throw 6-7 year timeframe outta nowhere. (first shift)
Post 597 - double down on the 6-7 year invention
Post 606 - called out on 6-7 year post
Post 607 - copy 606 and redirect conversation to WR because they also have short shelf lives and were part of the criticism of taking RB at 25 (another shift!)
Post 610 - now DJ Moore is suddenly on the same level as franchise RB like Elliot, Barkley, Chubb? (again!)

It's already been said in the thread. We can't say that anyone else at 25 would have been better, worse, or in between. There's so many butterfly effect circumstances that would change the makeup of the current roster, impact the stats that players are getting (or aren't) while playing on other teams, etc. But for some reason there's this insistence to continue grasping at arguments that aren't really making the point that mattered. 

You even said it yourself, you wanted other guys at that spot, so I don't full understand why you've dug in so opposingly toward the conversation.

(11-07-2022, 02:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:19 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Zeke Elliot was the 4th overall pick in 2016 and Leonard Fournette also went just ahead of CMC with us in that same draft. All three of those guys virtually have or continue to contribute at a relatively high level. 

Etienne was worth the pick. I don't have a problem with it at all. I wish he was actually used more in the passing game. If he put up Alvin Kamara type numbers nobody would care we didn't land a top flight WR at the end of the 1st RD on the opening night.

Zeke is a good example, high pick with little return. Lenny didn't play out his rookie deal, is it really considered high level what he's done?

Yeah, I was thinking if ETN were the next CEH, Baalke would be getting burned in effigy.

We got lucky, plain and simple. Missing with the pick would have been disastrous. Thank goodness it looks like we didn't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-07-2022, 02:50 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What goal posts have been shifted?  It's clear that you missed something as usual.  You're getting old, eyes getting bad

heh, cute. If you've already forgotten all the shifts, I'll help you work through your Alzheimer's.

Post 587 - note that pick was bad because good years spent on 6-win team
Post 588 - copy 587 and suddenly you throw 6-7 year timeframe outta nowhere. (first shift)
Post 597 - double down on the 6-7 year invention
Post 606 - called out on 6-7 year post
Post 607 - copy 606 and redirect conversation to WR because they also have short shelf lives and were part of the criticism of taking RB at 25 (another shift!)
Post 610 - now DJ Moore is suddenly on the same level as franchise RB like Elliot, Barkley, Chubb? (again!)

It's already been said in the thread. We can't say that anyone else at 25 would have been better, worse, or in between. There's so many butterfly effect circumstances that would change the makeup of the current roster, impact the stats that players are getting (or aren't) while playing on other teams, etc. But for some reason there's this insistence to continue grasping at arguments that aren't really making the point that mattered. 

You even said it yourself, you wanted other guys at that spot, so I don't full understand why you've dug in so opposingly toward the conversation.

(11-07-2022, 02:30 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Zeke is a good example, high pick with little return. Lenny didn't play out his rookie deal, is it really considered high level what he's done?

Yeah, I was thinking if ETN were the next CEH, Baalke would be getting burned in effigy.

We got lucky, plain and simple. Missing with the pick would have been disastrous. Thank goodness it looks like we didn't.
Confused as usual.  The point was people say people don't value RBs, the main reason because of short shelf life.  We aren't drafting for 6 or 7 years down the road.  If I can get 4 or 5 elite years then it's a damn good pick.  Post 607 my point was teams with very good WRs suck as well.  You can do that with most positions.  On DJ Moore, I said I would take a lot of RBs over Moore even though he is a very good WR.  My point remains the same.

If any pick is a bust in the 1st the GM would get burned regardless of what position he drafted.  Doesn't matter if it's a RB or a QB or any other position

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 03:04 PM by Craigukjag. Edited 2 times in total.)

He’s one of the only players in 10 years we’ve hit on in the first round why on Earth are people complaining it’s absolutely mind blowing

(11-07-2022, 02:33 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I would trade ETN for almost every WR drafted in the 1st round the last 2 years.

Don't be ridiculous.  You'd trade him for Kadarious Toney?  Rashod Bateman?  

Of course anyone would trade him for Jamaar Chase.  But he was taken 5th overall.  Not available at pick 25.
I said ALMOST all of them. Olave, Chase, Waddle, Jamo, Wilson…

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 03:06 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-07-2022, 03:02 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: Only jags fans can complain that picking a rb turned out to be one of the only first round hits we’ve had in 10 years

Exactly. He's contributing yardage, sustaining drives and finding the end zone. Why are we crying about this and playing revisionist here? It's pointless. I already stated my views. Regardless of your position. 

1. Can you produce?
2. Can you find the endzone?

Check & check in those boxes? Cool. You're my pick. Grab a hat with our logo on it and I'll see you on Sunday my guy! That's all Etienne did at Clemson.

My only complaint? I would like to see him used more in the passing game.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 03:08 PM by Craigukjag. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-07-2022, 03:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:33 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Don't be ridiculous.  You'd trade him for Kadarious Toney?  Rashod Bateman?  

Of course anyone would trade him for Jamaar Chase.  But he was taken 5th overall.  Not available at pick 25.

Again all of them were picked much higher than 25, its like saying I’d trade tavon Bryan for Aaron Donald

Curious which wide receiver in that draft who was available would you rather we had than etn

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 03:11 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-07-2022, 03:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:33 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Don't be ridiculous.  You'd trade him for Kadarious Toney?  Rashod Bateman?  

All of those WR were taken way before 25 lol

(11-07-2022, 03:06 PM)Craigukjag Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 03:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I said ALMOST all of them. Olave, Chase, Waddle, Jamo, Wilson…

Again all of them were picked much higher than 25, its like saying I’d trade tavon Bryan for Aaron Donald

Curious which wide receiver in that draft who was available would you rather we had than etn
Rondale Moore is who he really wanted.  A decent slot player but I wouldn’t take him over ETN

(11-07-2022, 03:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 03:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I said ALMOST all of them. Olave, Chase, Waddle, Jamo, Wilson…

(11-07-2022, 03:06 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: Again all of them were picked much higher than 25, its like saying I’d trade tavon Bryan for Aaron Donald

Rondale Moore is who he really wanted.  A decent slot player but I wouldn’t take him over ETN
It was actually Elijah Moore. Rondale was round 2.

This past season I wanted Pickens.

Look. I love ETN. Glad he’s on our team. 

All I’ve been saying (without bashing the player) is that I wouldn’t take an RB in round 1. Simple as that. I don’t think there’s value in it. Look at the Texans and Seahawks. Both have found bell cow backs in round 2 or later. I would rather invest in WRs and OLine if I’m drafting offense in round 1.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 03:21 PM by Craigukjag.)

(11-07-2022, 03:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

(11-07-2022, 03:06 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: Again all of them were picked much higher than 25, its like saying I’d trade tavon Bryan for Aaron Donald

And having that opinion at the time is perfectly fine, but a season and a half later Moore has played 20 games and has 2 tds . Just be happy that for once jags got the call right whether it goes with what people think you should do it not. It worked it really is that simple

(11-07-2022, 03:18 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 03:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: All of those WR were taken way before 25 lol

It was actually Elijah Moore. Rondale was round 2.

All I’ve been saying (without bashing the player) is that I wouldn’t take an RB in round 1. Simple as that. I don’t think there’s value in it. Look at the Texans and Seahawks. Both have found bell cow backs in round 2 or later. I would rather invest in WRs and OLine if I’m drafting offense in round 1.

And that logic is right and a I agree with you but as it’s played out there wasn’t any wide receivers or o-line around that slot that has worked out or look on a better trend that etn is. So it might go against conventional wisdom but it was the right call

(11-07-2022, 03:19 PM)Craigukjag Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 03:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: All of those WR were taken way before 25 lol

And having that opinion at the time is perfectly fine, but a season and a half later Moore has played 20 games and has 2 tds . Just be happy that for once jags got the call right whether it goes with what people think you should do it not. It worked it really is that simple

(11-07-2022, 03:18 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: It was actually Elijah Moore. Rondale was round 2.

And that logic is right and a I agree with you but as it’s played out there wasn’t any wide receivers or o-line around that slot that has worked out or look on a better trend that etn is. So it might go against conventional wisdom but it was the right call
I don’t disagree. It has worked out for them.

It’s just my own personal drafting philosophy (as well as many other people who draft).

My guess is that the Steelers regret taking Najee.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 03:30 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-07-2022, 03:25 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 03:19 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: And having that opinion at the time is perfectly fine, but a season and a half later Moore has played 20 games and has 2 tds . Just be happy that for once jags got the call right whether it goes with what people think you should do it not. It worked it really is that simple

It’s just my own personal drafting philosophy (as well as many other people who draft).

Because they wish they had taken ETN ?

(11-07-2022, 03:25 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 03:19 PM)Craigukjag Wrote: And having that opinion at the time is perfectly fine, but a season and a half later Moore has played 20 games and has 2 tds . Just be happy that for once jags got the call right whether it goes with what people think you should do it not. It worked it really is that simple

Again I agree with you I wouldn’t usually take the approach jags did, but if you look at the players available in that draft jags picked the player who could be special , all the conventional draft position choices havnt worked out, and as much as we hate urban he admitted they preferred Toney so they obviously would have preferred a wr at that position but they took what the bored presented to them

(02-18-2022, 08:09 PM)Upper Wrote: Bills got lucky the worst coach in NFL history forced a godawful pet project pick.

This aged well

I'm not really a fan of drafting RBs in the 1st round, but if you do, dude better be special. So far it's looking like ETN just might be that.

(11-07-2022, 06:38 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'm not really a fan of drafting RBs in the 1st round, but if you do, dude better be special. So far it's looking like ETN just might be that.

I do like him and he's playing well, but don't forget that he's already lost a full year to injury. He's special if he can stay on the field now and keep playing this way, but man was that some tough slogging yesterday. I don't want them to have to use him that way very often.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-07-2022, 06:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 06:38 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'm not really a fan of drafting RBs in the 1st round, but if you do, dude better be special. So far it's looking like ETN just might be that.

I do like him and he's playing well, but don't forget that he's already lost a full year to injury. He's special if he can stay on the field now and keep playing this way, but man was that some tough slogging yesterday. I don't want them to have to use him that way very often.

I agree and have said it for a few weeks now. I don't think he can hold up with the 25-30 touches per game output hes been getting of late. As you said, those were hard fought yards yesterday by him, they didn't come easy and he got absolutely smoked on a couple of those. He was getting up real slow by the end of that game. Thankfully he did get up, but they desperately need to get a serviceable RB behind him to help lighten the load just a tad.

(11-07-2022, 07:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 06:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I do like him and he's playing well, but don't forget that he's already lost a full year to injury. He's special if he can stay on the field now and keep playing this way, but man was that some tough slogging yesterday. I don't want them to have to use him that way very often.

I agree and have said it for a few weeks now. I don't think he can hold up with the 25-30 touches per game output hes been getting of late. As you said, those were hard fought yards yesterday by him, they didn't come easy and he got absolutely smoked on a couple of those. He was getting up real slow by the end of that game. Thankfully he did get up, but they desperately need to get a serviceable RB behind him to help lighten the load just a tad.

Yea my heart was in my mouth in some of those runs in the 4th he did.
One of then he got up from underneath the pile hobbling a bit but looked like he ran it off

They need to get hasty or connor some more runs, eaze his load

(11-07-2022, 07:34 PM)StrayaJag Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 07:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I agree and have said it for a few weeks now. I don't think he can hold up with the 25-30 touches per game output hes been getting of late. As you said, those were hard fought yards yesterday by him, they didn't come easy and he got absolutely smoked on a couple of those. He was getting up real slow by the end of that game. Thankfully he did get up, but they desperately need to get a serviceable RB behind him to help lighten the load just a tad.

Yea my heart was in my mouth in some of those runs in the 4th he did.
One of then he got up from underneath the pile hobbling a bit but looked like he ran it off

They need to get hasty or connor some more runs, eaze his load

Yea he definitely hobbled off to the sidelines a couple of times.

No clue what the deal is with Snoop. He was only in the game for 1 play yesterday and only 1 play against Denver. That's it this season. Obviously he was a healthy scratch for the majority of it.

Hasty had 13 plays yesterday, 16 vs Denver, 4 vs Giants and 10 vs clots. 3 plays per in the rest of the games.

ETN has had 80% of the Offensive snaps the past 3 games (since J Rob was traded after the clots game) 56, 57 and 57 snaps the last 3 games. 82 total touches in those 3.

My only thought is that maybe Snoop doesn't fit in the Offense that Doug wants to run. But then why draft him if that's the case? Hasty is a similar style to ETN, just not as big or explosive. He does have some speed though.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2022, 08:15 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-07-2022, 07:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 06:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I do like him and he's playing well, but don't forget that he's already lost a full year to injury. He's special if he can stay on the field now and keep playing this way, but man was that some tough slogging yesterday. I don't want them to have to use him that way very often.

Hes not going to get 25-30 touches a game lol.  If he averaged 25 touches per game in a season he would set the all time carry record for a season. Agreed though, they need to give the backup more carries.

(11-07-2022, 08:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 07:23 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I agree and have said it for a few weeks now. I don't think he can hold up with the 25-30 touches per game output hes been getting of late. As you said, those were hard fought yards yesterday by him, they didn't come easy and he got absolutely smoked on a couple of those. He was getting up real slow by the end of that game. Thankfully he did get up, but they desperately need to get a serviceable RB behind him to help lighten the load just a tad.

Hes not going to get 25-30 touches a game lol.  If he averaged 25 touches per game in a season he would set the all time carry record for a season.  Agreed though, they need to give the backup more carries.

You wouldn't think so, but so far J Rob has been gone for 3 games now and ETN has had 25 touches, 27 touches and 30 touches in those 3.