Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 01:32 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Comical people still don't think Etienne was a good pick. Clueless lol

(10-08-2023, 01:31 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:26 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Nope, RB in the 1st round will always be a bad pick. Especially for as bad as that team was when the pick was made. Thank god we were able to get Trevor though.

If it’s late round 1st, which it was, I’m ok with it. If it was top 20, definitely better be the next AP or Emmitt Smith At that point it’s basically 2nd round talent. If he were second round pick, everyone would write home run next to ETNs name
One guy on here thinks the 3rd round is to early for a RB lol.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-08-2023, 01:31 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:26 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Nope, RB in the 1st round will always be a bad pick. Especially for as bad as that team was when the pick was made. Thank god we were able to get Trevor though.

If it’s late round 1st, which it was, I’m ok with it. If it was top 20, definitely better be the next AP or Emmitt Smith. At that point when ETN was picked, it’s basically 2nd round talent. If he were second round pick, everyone would write home run next to ETNs name. A difference of four picks.

Even then I don't think so. RB is the last piece of the puzzle. Still not a fan of them taking Tank in the 3rd round either. I think he'll be a fine player, if they ever use him (again another reason why I wasn't a fan of the pick), but there's more important positions that should be addressed in the first 3 rounds.

(10-08-2023, 01:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It was a smart pick and a damn good one.  If the RB is the top player you take him.  I really liked J Rob but we still needed to add another weapon at RB if one falls to and is the top player on the board, we got lucky and grabbed him

It was a lucky pick. Urbs was going to take awful Toney, but the Giants saved us from that misery.

He'd of loved that too, probably even moreso than his trying to crow about the value of ETN.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 01:44 PM by WYjagsfan. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-08-2023, 01:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:31 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: If it’s late round 1st, which it was, I’m ok with it. If it was top 20, definitely better be the next AP or Emmitt Smith. At that point when ETN was picked, it’s basically 2nd round talent. If he were second round pick, everyone would write home run next to ETNs name. A difference of four picks.

Even then I don't think so. RB is the last piece of the puzzle. Still not a fan of them taking Tank in the 3rd round either. I think he'll be a fine player, if they ever use him (again another reason why I wasn't a fan of the pick), but there's more important positions that should be addressed in the first 3 rounds.

I would generally agree with this.

Thought ETN was a bit different though. We were desperate for any kind of spark or game breaking speed on offence.

He's been better than I thought he would be though

I liked this selection. Bringing Trevor's HB over with him is a genius move. This draft overall is panning out. 6 of those picks are still on the team and contributing.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 01:44 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-08-2023, 01:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote: It was a lucky pick. Urbs was going to take awful Toney, but the Giants saved us from that misery.

He'd of loved that too, probably even moreso than his trying to crow about the value of ETN.
I would of taken Etienne over Toney.  And it was lucky pick just being that Etienne fell to us.  On Toney though he did help the Chiefs win a SB last year.  If we drafted him and helped us win a SB I'd of been good with that.. Just eat your crow and like it

(10-08-2023, 01:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He'd of loved that too, probably even moreso than his trying to crow about the value of ETN.
I would of taken Etienne over Toney.  And it was lucky pick just being that Etienne fell to us.  On Toney though he did help the Chiefs win a SB last year.  If we drafted him and helped us win a SB I'd of been good with that.

Toney with the Giants is why you don't take that guy there. 

Toney with the Chiefs is why you can take that guy there (just like they can take Pacheco in the 7th).

Good teams can take luxury picks, bad ones need cornerstones. ETN, for all he is, already missed a whole season due to injury and likely will be replaced rather than resigned here. The team already spent more draft capital to draft the next guy, because running backs get ground up and discarded.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

A good run game is one of the most important things you can have for a young QB. If an elite is there for you to take you draft him

(10-08-2023, 01:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:31 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: If it’s late round 1st, which it was, I’m ok with it. If it was top 20, definitely better be the next AP or Emmitt Smith. At that point when ETN was picked, it’s basically 2nd round talent. If he were second round pick, everyone would write home run next to ETNs name. A difference of four picks.

Eh, agree to disagree, although I see your perspective. For a weapon like ETN, 2nd round to me, provided he has the grade, is fine. And while I like BAP in theory, many times you have to adjust your draft strategy for need. Which is why I’m completely not on board as of yet with the Bigsby pick. At that point merge BAP with need and help the damn lines

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 01:52 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-08-2023, 01:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I would of taken Etienne over Toney.  And it was lucky pick just being that Etienne fell to us.  On Toney though he did help the Chiefs win a SB last year.  If we drafted him and helped us win a SB I'd of been good with that.

Toney with the Giants is why you don't take that guy there. 

Toney with the Chiefs is why you can take that guy there (just like they can take Pacheco in the 7th).

Good teams can take luxury picks, bad ones need cornerstones. ETN, for all he is, already missed a whole season due to injury and likely will be replaced rather than resigned here. The team already spent more draft capital to draft the next guy, because running backs get ground up and discarded.
Any player can get injured.  Hell we drafted a DE with the 3rd overall pick and he got injured and missed his whole rookie season.  The late first is actually the perfect spot to get an elite back because you get the 5th year option so you can keep him for 7 years if you want without giving him an extension and that's when they are at their peak. Etieene was far from a luxury pick

(10-08-2023, 01:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A good run game is one of the most important things you can have for a young QB.  If an elite is there for you to take you draft him

As we've seen, a good line is the key to a good run game and it's far more difficult to find good linemen than an good running back. That's why I'm watching the Dolphins running back absolutely dominate even though he was just the 84th pick in the draft.

(10-08-2023, 01:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Toney with the Giants is why you don't take that guy there. 

Any player can get injured.  Hell we drafted a DE with the 3rd overall pick and he got injured and missed his whole rookie season.  The late first is actually the perfect spot to get an elite back because you get the 5th year option so you can keep him for 7 years if you want without giving him an extension and that's when they are at their peak.  Etieene was far from a luxury pick

That's what we get for taking a gater anyway. And it's good that we got ETN for 5 years since he'll only be actually playing for 4 at best now. What you really want out of those 1st round picks is hopefully 4 years of production. It's clear that I'm not changing your mind and I agree that you are certainly free to be wrong.

(10-08-2023, 01:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A good run game is one of the most important things you can have for a young QB.  If an elite is there for you to take you draft him

As we've seen, a good line is the key to a good run game and it's far more difficult to find good linemen than an good running back. That's why I'm watching the Dolphins running back absolutely dominate even though he was just the 84th pick in the draft.

That's important as well, it's why you take the top guy.  So you still think we should have taken the guy you wanted in Evan Neal just because he's a tackle?  He sucks and it's why you take the best player and don't draft for position.  You don't take Neal over Hutch just because we needed a tackle.

(10-08-2023, 01:49 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:35 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Even then I don't think so. RB is the last piece of the puzzle. Still not a fan of them taking Tank in the 3rd round either. I think he'll be a fine player, if they ever use him (again another reason why I wasn't a fan of the pick), but there's more important positions that should be addressed in the first 3 rounds.

Eh, agree to disagree, although I see your perspective. For a weapon like ETN, 2nd round to me, provided he has the grade, is fine. And while I like BAP in theory, many times you have to adjust your draft strategy for need. Which is why I’m completely not on board as of yet with the Bigsby pick. At that point merge BAP with need and help the damn lines

I think ETN is a fine pick for a good team in the 1st round. I don't think any running back is a good pick for a bad team in the 1st round. There's simply too much lost positional value that should be used on more important positions.

(10-08-2023, 01:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:49 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Eh, agree to disagree, although I see your perspective. For a weapon like ETN, 2nd round to me, provided he has the grade, is fine. And while I like BAP in theory, many times you have to adjust your draft strategy for need. Which is why I’m completely not on board as of yet with the Bigsby pick. At that point merge BAP with need and help the damn lines

I think ETN is a fine pick for a good team in the 1st round. I don't think any running back is a good pick for a bad team in the 1st round. There's simply too much lost positional value that should be used on more important positions.

You draft him to help make you team good instead of reaching for certain positions

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 02:01 PM by WYjagsfan.)

(10-08-2023, 01:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:49 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Eh, agree to disagree, although I see your perspective. For a weapon like ETN, 2nd round to me, provided he has the grade, is fine. And while I like BAP in theory, many times you have to adjust your draft strategy for need. Which is why I’m completely not on board as of yet with the Bigsby pick. At that point merge BAP with need and help the damn lines

Also by the time you're ready to be good they'll already be worn down.

I still wasn't unhappy with the pick though as I said earlier

(10-08-2023, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: As we've seen, a good line is the key to a good run game and it's far more difficult to find good linemen than an good running back. That's why I'm watching the Dolphins running back absolutely dominate even though he was just the 84th pick in the draft.

That's important as well, it's why you take the top guy.  So you still think we should have taken the guy you wanted in Evan Neal just because he's a tackle?  He sucks and it's why you take the best player and don't draft for position.  You don't take Neal over Hutch just because we needed a tackle.

Lol, sure, I get the Hutch over Neal. Hutch is a good player, but my focus was on what's best for keeping Lawrence alive, something this team hasn't focused on nearly enough IMO.

(10-08-2023, 02:01 PM)WYjagsfan Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think ETN is a fine pick for a good team in the 1st round. I don't think any running back is a good pick for a bad team in the 1st round. There's simply too much lost positional value that should be used on more important positions.

We were good last year in his 2nd year and had a shot at the SB lol.  If you draft good you can fix your team in a year or 2.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 02:05 PM by WYjagsfan. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-08-2023, 02:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's important as well, it's why you take the top guy.  So you still think we should have taken the guy you wanted in Evan Neal just because he's a tackle?  He sucks and it's why you take the best player and don't draft for position.  You don't take Neal over Hutch just because we needed a tackle.

Lol, sure, I get the Hutch over Neal. Hutch is a good player, but my focus was on what's best for keeping Lawrence alive, something this team hasn't focused on nearly enough IMO.

I don't really agree with this.

We have a first round pick and 2 second round picks at tackle and a former first round pick and high paid free agent at guard.

You can't have first round picks everywhere. They just haven't been as good as hoped but it's not like we haven't committed resources to it

(10-08-2023, 02:01 PM)WYjagsfan Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think ETN is a fine pick for a good team in the 1st round. I don't think any running back is a good pick for a bad team in the 1st round. There's simply too much lost positional value that should be used on more important positions.

Exactly. The other guy keeps harping on it because people thought it was bad value. I don't know of a single person who said ETN isn't a good player and I'm glad he's playing well now.

Along with everything else, how cool was it having your college buddy in the back field again in the pros? Good story all around and both super talented qb and rb. Great picks