Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags trade for Calvin Ridley

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2024, 09:35 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-10-2024, 09:21 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 09:12 AM)mikesez Wrote: Let him hit the market but make him a fair offer.  Even without him, WR is one of our stronger groups.  Much more important to upgrade at center and guard.

Are we still sure about that?

I am with you. I don't think it's bad but I also don't think it's one of our stronger groups. When you factor in how piss poor the separation was as a whole, along with the dropped passes, the misroutes, the fumbles and the injuries?

It's a concern. This is why we shouldn't be ruling out a WR with that 17th overall pick. If anything, we could make a strong case after that compilation that's been circulating that the WR group STRONGLY [BLEEP] this entire team over in the grand scheme of things. 

To be fair, if the running game was competent and it was actually respected the way it should be respected. We might get better output from them. If Trevor had more time back there for some of these double moves to take place? Sure, we would get more separation. 

Just trying to be realistic though. Zay Jones was way off this past season with the injuries. Kirk was the best receiver we had prior to the injury, Agnew is hit or miss per usual but I expect that out of him, you have nothing in Cooks, Washington and the other Jones really. Ridley single handedly cost you football games last season, especially earlier on in that loss to Kansas City. Which I remember saying it would come back to haunt us immediately after the game. 

If Odunze or Thomas Jr. are there with the 17th pick? I am not flinching. One of those guys is a Jaguar that night in my mind. Baalke better be doing his damn homework now and finding upgrades to the offensive line via March instead of April. When it comes to the free agency market? You at least know what you're getting most of the time Vs. gambling on a rookie lineman jumping up to this level.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

All our receivers are relatively small guys. Even Engram is a smaller TE. We need a reliable big body target for Trev, especially in the red zone. Ridley needs to hit free agency and we make him a fair offer and see what happens. I’m indifferent to the result.

(01-10-2024, 09:37 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: All our receivers are relatively small guys.  Even Engram is a smaller TE.  We need a reliable big body target for Trev, especially in the red zone.  Ridley needs to hit free agency and we make him a fair offer and see what happens.  I’m indifferent to the result.

This is my stance as well with Ridley. Would I want to keep him? Yes. It would be year two in the same offense, which should only help. However, the price has to make sense. 

I agree with getting a bigger body on the outside. Which is where guys like Odunze, Thomas Jr., Coleman and Leggett come into play for me. Unless they want to make Tee Higgins their primary target in free agency for Lawrence.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-10-2024, 09:30 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 09:21 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Are we still sure about that?
Kirk is very good. 

Zay is average and I would love to move on from him.

Ridley was ok this year and I think he will be better next year but a 2nd rounder plus a contract? I don’t know about that.

They need young juice man. This WR class is LOADED. This WR room needs a lot of help I think.

Zay when healthy I like, but he's not a "special" player by any stretch. He did get screwed on that review against Ten though.

But we could also save $5m in cap if we release him
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-10-2024, 09:52 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 09:30 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Kirk is very good. 

Zay is average and I would love to move on from him.

Ridley was ok this year and I think he will be better next year but a 2nd rounder plus a contract? I don’t know about that.

They need young juice man. This WR class is LOADED. This WR room needs a lot of help I think.

Zay when healthy I like, but he's not a "special" player by any stretch. He did get screwed on that review against Ten though.

You know what Zay and MJJ brought that we lack? The ability to catch the damn ball on the regular.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-10-2024, 09:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 09:52 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Zay when healthy I like, but he's not a "special" player by any stretch. He did get screwed on that review against Ten though.

You know what Zay and MJJ brought that we lack? The ability to catch the damn ball on the regular.
I don't even know about that. I've seen quite a few Zay drops this year and some on crucial plays.

Zay has a good connection with Lawrence, but he would be the one I would let go if someone has to go. He was hurt too much this season and the off the field drama didn’t help. He’s a good player but he needs to stay healthy.

(01-10-2024, 10:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 09:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You know what Zay and MJJ brought that we lack? The ability to catch the damn ball on the regular.
I don't even know about that. I've seen quite a few Zay drops this year and some on crucial plays.

Based on last year to this year I think he wasn't healthy the whole season. He only played 9 games this year and two of those he started and came out with injury early.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-10-2024, 09:21 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 09:12 AM)mikesez Wrote: Let him hit the market but make him a fair offer.  Even without him, WR is one of our stronger groups.  Much more important to upgrade at center and guard.

Are we still sure about that?

When healthy, yes, I believe it is a strong group for us. 

It's fun to imagine a prototypical tall, rangy, and consistent X receiver in the mix. I could dig that.  But 20 other teams are saying that right now too. 

For all the Tee Higgins groupies out there, here is a comparison of 2023 from Rid and Tee:

Yards per game:
Rid - 60
Tee - 55

TDs: 
Rid - 8 
Tee - 5 ( played 12 games) 

Receptions: 
Rid - 76
Tee - 42

Drops: 
Rid - 6
Tee - 7

They are different players with different skillsets to a degree - but the productivity result may not be much different at all with that particular switch so many are keen to make.

(01-10-2024, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 09:21 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Are we still sure about that?

When healthy, yes, I believe it is a strong group for us. 

It's fun to imagine a prototypical tall, rangy, and consistent X receiver in the mix. I could dig that.  But 20 other teams are saying that right now too. 

For all the Tee Higgins groupies out there, here is a comparison of 2023 from Rid and Tee:

Yards per game:
Rid - 60
Tee - 55

TDs: 
Rid - 8 

Receptions: 
Rid - 76
Tee - 42

Drops: 
Rid - 6
Tee - 7

They are different players with different skillsets to a degree - but the productivity result may not be much different at all with that particular switch so many are keen to make.

Higgins with 5 TDs in 12 games is great.
Higgins with 7 drops in 12 games is a red flag.

Once again I'll keep our WRs group. We have talent and speed. Lawrence know them and with a better Oline, it could resolve a lot of our 2023 problems.

(01-10-2024, 10:52 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: Higgins with 7 drops in 12 games is a red flag.

Once again I'll keep our WRs group. We have talent and speed. Lawrence know them and with a better Oline, it could resolve a lot of our 2023 problems.

I tend to agree with you. But would you give up one of our WRs for a big target for TLaw? 

Sorry if I'm quoting the wrong person . . .
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-10-2024, 10:52 AM)MikePete54 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: When healthy, yes, I believe it is a strong group for us. 

Yards per game:
Rid - 60
Tee - 55

TDs: 
Rid - 8 

Receptions: 
Rid - 76
Tee - 42

Drops: 
Rid - 6
Tee - 7

Higgins with 5 TDs in 12 games is great.

I honestly didn't know he had so many drops.

I like Tee, and I think his skillset fits what we need. Ridley and Kirk have very similar skillsets, Tee is more of that outside X guy than Calvin is.

But I'd still re-sign Ridley, even giving up a 2nd. And I'm pretty sure that's what they're going to do. He had a solid season overall and now that he's got a season back under his belt, he should take another step back to his peak form.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-10-2024, 11:08 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 10:52 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: Higgins with 5 TDs in 12 games is great.

I honestly didn't know he had so many drops.

I like Tee, and I think his skillset fits what we need. Ridley and Kirk have very similar skillsets, Tee is more of that outside X guy than Calvin is.

But I'd still re-sign Ridley, even giving up a 2nd. And I'm pretty sure that's what they're going to do. He had a solid season overall and now that he's got a season back under his belt, he should take another step back to his peak form.

Higgins also lost Burrow on the year about midway through and had to work with a new QB. 

He caught my eye big time though in their win over the Vikings. Higgins is capable of making catches along the sideline and deep downfield that a lot of our current receivers simply cannot catch or don't have the range for. 

My only concern, is he a true number one receiver? Because that's something he has not had to shoulder at all for the Bengals. A lot easier to feast and go up and get it on an offense with Ja'Marr Chase on it.

Maybe we have the big body on the roster already in Elijah Cooks. Hopefully he takes some strides in the off season and camp and comes back fighting hard for an increased role.

Although another small guy, Parker Washington looked more than adequate at the end of the season. I think we have some jars on the shelf and maybe use another day 3 pick on a guy that hopefully hits early on and maybe we don't miss Ridley all that much if we do indeed let him walk. Some of those drops he had were at key moments or were in the end zone.

(01-10-2024, 11:27 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Maybe we have the big body on the roster already in Elijah Cooks.  Hopefully he takes some strides in the off season and camp and comes back fighting hard for an increased role. 

Although another small guy, Parker Washington looked more than adequate at the end of the season.  I think we have some jars on the shelf and maybe use another day 3 pick on a guy that hopefully hits early on and maybe we don't miss Ridley all that much if we do indeed let him walk.  Some of those drops he had were at key moments or were in the end zone.

No shot I go into next season with kirk, zay, the rest, and a day 3 guy. That would be one of the worst groups in the legaue. Personally I'd like ridley back and to grab odunze, Coleman, or thomas in the first.

(01-10-2024, 11:40 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 11:27 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Maybe we have the big body on the roster already in Elijah Cooks.  Hopefully he takes some strides in the off season and camp and comes back fighting hard for an increased role. 

Although another small guy, Parker Washington looked more than adequate at the end of the season.  I think we have some jars on the shelf and maybe use another day 3 pick on a guy that hopefully hits early on and maybe we don't miss Ridley all that much if we do indeed let him walk.  Some of those drops he had were at key moments or were in the end zone.

No shot I go into next season with kirk, zay, the rest, and a day 3 guy. That would be one of the worst groups in the legaue. Personally I'd like ridley back and to grab odunze, Coleman, or thomas in the first.

If we had the luxury of going WR in the first, sure. But we NEED OL and we need it badly.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-10-2024, 11:47 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 11:40 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: No shot I go into next season with kirk, zay, the rest, and a day 3 guy. That would be one of the worst groups in the legaue. Personally I'd like ridley back and to grab odunze, Coleman, or thomas in the first.

If we had the luxury of going WR in the first, sure. But we NEED OL and we need it badly.

There's free agency and 6 other rounds for OL. I think we need an alpha #1 target for trevor. And I'm hoping we aren't picking this high again for a while. We also probably won't see a wr class with this many top end talent guys for a while either.

(01-10-2024, 11:50 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 11:47 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: If we had the luxury of going WR in the first, sure. But we NEED OL and we need it badly.

There's free agency and 6 other rounds for OL. I think we need an alpha #1 target for trevor. And I'm hoping we aren't picking this high again for a while. We also probably won't see a wr class with this many top end talent guys for a while either.

I think we should try our best to go WR/OL in rounds 1-2. Baalke needs to figure a way to get back into the 2nd if we resign Ridley, I feel like Rid will only get better with time, he was up and down this year but you can see the potential that is there if our QB has time to throw.

(01-10-2024, 12:00 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 11:50 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: There's free agency and 6 other rounds for OL. I think we need an alpha #1 target for trevor. And I'm hoping we aren't picking this high again for a while. We also probably won't see a wr class with this many top end talent guys for a while either.

I think we should try our best to go WR/OL in rounds 1-2. Baalke needs to figure a way to get back into the 2nd if we resign Ridley, I feel like Rid will only get better with time, he was up and down this year but you can see the potential that is there if our QB has time to throw.

I believe if we resign ridley it's a 3 and not a 2. It was a 2nd if he was extended in season. And yes WR in the 1st and OL in the 2nd would be ideal for me.

(01-10-2024, 11:50 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 11:47 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: If we had the luxury of going WR in the first, sure. But we NEED OL and we need it badly.

I think the hardest decision for me would be if a stud WR or the LT from Washington are both available at 17.