Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

If Cleveland says they would match anything we offer, I would call their bluff.   I would negotiate a fair contract with Mack, and see if Cleveland will match.  

They've been negotiating with Mack, and failure to reach agreement in those negotiations means the Browns do have a limit, because they've turned down whatever amount Mack has asked for.  So I believe there is a point in between what Mack has asked for and what Cleveland has offered where Cleveland will bow out. 

I mean, hypothetically, if Mack has already asked for x dollars, and Cleveland has already said no, then Mack gets an offer from us at the same amount, why would Cleveland then say yes? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They would say 'yes' to retain the pro bowl level player in order to retain him.  They would have initially said 'no' to the amount, as they thought the figure was more than the player was worth, and hoped to negotiate a lower figure.  However, in your scenario, if the market (an external team such as the Jags) is willing to pay him the amount, then they match it. 

Quote:Seriously......I really don't see us going to pony up the big bucks for Mack....maybe we make a run at him next year
I agree. I think Dave is just feeling this situation out. I don't see him spending huge bucks to land Mack. But I sure hope he did.

Quote:They would say 'yes' to retain the pro bowl level player in order to retain him.  They would have initially said 'no' to the amount, as they thought the figure was more than the player was worth, and hoped to negotiate a lower figure.  However, in your scenario, if the market (an external team such as the Jags) is willing to pay him the amount, then they match it. 

That's what they say.   I would call their bluff on that.  

Right now, Mack and the Browns cannot reach an agreement.   If Mack and the Jags can reach an agreement, then the Browns would match it?  

If he says he wants 9, and they say they will only pay 7, and the Jags say we will pay you 8.5, and Mack says okay, 8.5, you think the Browns would then say, okay, 8.5?   I dunno.   It's not a slam dunk.  

Quote:http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/4/5/55...free-agent

Alfie confirmed with 2 different sources so sounds like its for real this time. 
They have 5 days to match the offer.  How much is Dave willing to pay out for a 28year old Center even if he's one of the best in the league?  11M a year or higher I assume?

if Mack gets signed to a monster deal, that takes away cap space for the next few seasons. Cap space that could be used to lock up some current jaguars whom have expiring contracts.

Quote:What?

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:if Mack gets signed to a monster deal, that takes away cap space for the next few seasons. Cap space that could be used to lock up some current jaguars whom have expiring contracts.
Like who?

Quote:if Mack gets signed to a monster deal, that takes away cap space for the next few seasons. Cap space that could be used to lock up some current jaguars whom have expiring contracts.

We don't know what Mack's cap hit would be each year. I'm pretty sure if the jags do sign him that they make sure cap space is still available in the future. It's not like we have anyone on the roster who is going to break the bank in a couple years.

Quote:That's what they say.   I would call their bluff on that.  

Right now, Mack and the Browns cannot reach an agreement.   If Mack and the Jags can reach an agreement, then the Browns would match it?  

If he says he wants 9, and they say they will only pay 7, and the Jags say we will pay you 8.5, and Mack says okay, 8.5, you think the Browns would then say, okay, 8.5?   I dunno.   It's not a slam dunk.  

They would say yes because the market, not the agent, set the value of the player which means it will be lower than what the agent was asking for. And since the Jags set the market it eliminates any hard feelings between the Browns and the player. The Tag works that way to the benefit of the team using it.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

They have a ton of cap room going forward. Signing Mack is not going to hinder them in re-signing anybody. And who do they have coming up on their rookie deal that would be worth re-signing? Shorts? Anybody else?

The Cap will be going up 5-10 MIL per year over the next 3-5 years. Cap space for the Jags should not be a problem at all. 

Quote:They have a ton of cap room going forward. Signing Mack is not going to hinder them in re-signing anybody. And who do they have coming up on their rookie deal that would be worth re-signing? Shorts? Anybody else?

Only ones are Shorts and Pastor. And they wont even get big deals. The team can even use the 5th yr option on blackmon so there is really no one to re-sign till 2016.

Quote:Only ones are Shorts and Pastor. And they wont even get big deals. The team can even use the 5th yr option on blackmon so there is really no one to re-sign till 2016.

Yep.

And last year's rookies like Joeckel, Cyprien, Sanders, etc are not even eligible for extensions until after the 2015 season.

Quote:Only ones are Shorts and Pastor. And they wont even get big deals. The team can even use the 5th yr option on blackmon so there is really no one to re-sign till 2016.

Quote:Yep.

And last year's rookies like Joeckel, Cyprien, Sanders, etc are not even eligible for extensions until after the 2015 season.

If I remember correctly, 2013 did not count as a year for Blackmon due to him only playing in four games. I know that he did not accrue a season towards his veteran standing, but I'm not sure if that affects his contract or not. With as many hooks as Smith reportedly put into Blackmon's contract, it would surprise me if this was not the case.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:If I remember correctly, 2013 did not count as a year for Blackmon due to him only playing in four games. I know that he did not accrue a season towards his veteran standing, but I'm not sure if that affects his contract or not. With as many hooks as Smith reportedly put into Blackmon's contract, it would surprise me if this was not the case.

Not 100% sure on that.

One thing I also noticed in regards to Poz's contract. After 2015, there is no more dead money on his deal. The team could cut him loose and have no cap hit in 2016. It would free up 7.5 million bucks.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-...posluszny/

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 10:38 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Not 100% sure on that.

One thing I also noticed in regards to Poz's contract. After 2015, there is no more dead money on his deal. The team could cut him loose and have no cap hit in 2016. It would free up 7.5 million bucks.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-...posluszny/

It won't shock me to see that happen at that point. Poz will be older and declining and theres a good chance his cheaper replacement would have already been drafted and started to be developed. 

Nature of the business. 

Quote:Or you could be smart and go:

LT - Joeckel

LG - Beadles

C - Mack

RG - ROOKIE IN 3RD-5TH ROUND

RT - Paztor (WHERE HE WAS VERY PRODUCTIVE)

And get a QB/Pass rusher at 3 and more than likely be better off than in your scenario on the Oline anyway. 

Not sure what's "smart" about fishing for lesser talent.

Pass rusher or WR, not RT, is the idea with the third pick.  RT would come no earlier than the second pick.

The OT crop is more talented and deeper than guard, which is typical.  Why settle for less?  There's no reason to.  Save the latter picks for secondary and OLB rather than hope an interior lineman would be there.  "Better off" with lesser talent?  No.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Not sure what's "smart" about fishing for lesser talent.

Pass rusher or WR, not RT, is the idea with the third pick.  RT would come no earlier than the second pick.

The OT crop is more talented and deeper than guard, which is typical.  Why settle for less?  There's no reason to.  Save the latter picks for secondary and OLB rather than hope an interior lineman would be there.  "Better off" with lesser talent?  No.

But Greg Robinson at pick 3 could be BAP. Not saying I'd go that way, but one could easily make an argument for it, and I wouldn't bash Caldwell for choosing to go that route. He will be a better Leon Searcy for the better part of the next decade for anyone that drafts him. 

Quote:Not sure what's "smart" about fishing for lesser talent.

Pass rusher or WR, not RT, is the idea with the third pick. RT would come no earlier than the second pick.

The OT crop is more talented and deeper than guard, which is typical. Why settle for less? There's no reason to. Save the latter picks for secondary and OLB rather than hope an interior lineman would be there. "Better off" with lesser talent? No.

Is it really deeper? I haven't really tracked the offensive lineman but my thinking is that guard would almost always be deeper. The position isn't as valuable which makes guards fall and the tackles who aren't good enough to play tackle can be drafted as guards.

Quote:Is it really deeper? I haven't really tracked the offensive lineman but my thinking is that guard would almost always be deeper. The position isn't as valuable which makes guards fall and the tackles who aren't good enough to play tackle can be drafted as guards.

A lot of guards and centers go completely undrafted.  One might consider that depth, but it's not quality depth.

Draft an OT in the second or third if you want to, and IMO you're going to get a more talented player.

If you want to take a shot at an interior guy late or UDFA, then fine.  I just don't see much reason to peg one of few interior guys worth selecting high, when they aren't likely to fit your pick.  The odds are in favor of finding a T that fits our pick value than anything interior, until you get into later rounds where it's a wash.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."