Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:He is not a Jag yet - and may not be - but I have to admit the waiting is pretty exciting.. Thanks Dave for the intrigue....
Definitely a way to keep us interested for a week in April in a year in which the draft is so late. Though if the Browns match we will all be so let down. Whatever we would do at the Center position after that couldn't live up to adding the best center in the league.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Does anyone see whats the point of the opt out in 2 years? 

I wonder if the 3rd year is guaranteed whether he opts out or not. 

From the way Florio wrote, it sounds like the third year is only guaranteed if Mack chooses not to opt out.

Quote:I'm just glad we tried. The chances of us getting him without having to guarantee 30 million + wasn't that great to begin with. Lets just see if Cleveland is going to keep their word to Mack, who from all reports, wants out of Cleveland.

I'm glad we targeted him, but I must say if those contract numbers were accurate, I am disappointed in the contract we offered to try and get it done. Very uninspiring effort. The least they could have done was be somewhat creative in the attempt to give Cleveland something to ponder. I expected smarter out of us. 

Quote:From the way Florio wrote, it sounds like the third year is only guaranteed if Mack chooses not to opt out.

As said...this contract we wrote is almost a favor to Cleveland to aid in their re-signing of Mack. We made it easy on them to match. 

Browns fan here just sharing my two cents. I think lots of Browns fans wish we would have franchised Mack to start with to avoid all this angst. That being said things will play it over the nex few days. The report someone posted about a 2 yr 18-20 million in first 2 yrs would be an easy match for the Browns I think. They are already committed for for 10 mil this year and another 10 mil would be cheaper than a franchise tag next yr. As to next yrs contracts etc, the Brown are already top 5 for cap situations in 2015 so I think 10 mil while not desirable isn't a prohibitive sum to make them balk. I think at least they would do the deal even if Mack opts out after 2 yrs(if the contract rumors are true) to at least give them some time to fine a suitable replacement. I don't fault Mack for looking for better deals either due to finding his value or wanting a more stable situation. But I think Haslam learned a lesson the hard way and the blood letting is over for the forseeable future and I think Haslam will match to show the players he is committed to winning and willing to pay his top players.

If the Browns match, will see if they convince him into a contract extension, winning cures a lot of ills and that remains to be seen. The only way I could have seen the Browns not matching is if the contract was something where it was say 7-10 mil in yr 1 and maybe 15 mil or something like that in yr 2 with 30 mil guaranteed over the lifetime of the contract. That would make the Browns think harder. We will just have to see the contract details to see how difficult match would be in the next day or two.

We don't know the end game - keep that in mind...

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 12:33 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Browns fan here just sharing my two cents. I think lots of Browns fans wish we would have franchised Mack to start with to avoid all this angst. That being said things will play it over the nex few days. The report someone posted about a 2 yr 18-20 million in first 2 yrs would be an easy match for the Browns I think. They are already committed for for 10 mil this year and another 10 mil would be cheaper than a franchise tag next yr. As to next yrs contracts etc, the Brown are already top 5 for cap situations in 2015 so I think 10 mil while not desirable isn't a prohibitive sum to make them balk. I think at least they would do the deal even if Mack opts out after 2 yrs(if the contract rumors are true) to at least give them some time to fine a suitable replacement. I don't fault Mack for looking for better deals either due to finding his value or wanting a more stable situation. But I think Haslam learned a lesson the hard way and the blood letting is over for the forseeable future and I think Haslam will match to show the players he is committed to winning and willing to pay his top players.

If the Browns match, will see if they convince him into a contract extension, winning cures a lot of ills and that remains to be seen. The only way I could have seen the Browns not matching is if the contract was something where it was say 7-10 mil in yr 1 and maybe 15 mil or something like that in yr 2 with 30 mil guaranteed over the lifetime of the contract. That would make the Browns think harder. We will just have to see the contract details to see how difficult match would be in the next day or two.

The Jags did you guys a favor with an easy, simplistic, not all too expensive contract to match. You're welcome. 

The only thing tougher than being a fan of the Browns is being a fan of the Jags. Disappointment reigns. 

Quote:I'm glad we targeted him, but I must say if those contract numbers were accurate, I am disappointed in the contract we offered to try and get it done. Very uninspiring effort. The least they could have done was be somewhat creative in the attempt to give Cleveland something to ponder. I expected smarter out of us. 

The contract still makes him the highest paid center for the next two years by several million dollars, so I don't think this is a halfhearted attempt to sign him. The fact that he also agreed to it instead of simply choosing to play under the transitional should also say something about his belief in the contract given his desire to leave Cleveland. He would receive close to $25million if they tagged him twice, so he must feel he there is a reasonable chance Cleveland declines. Mack's not going to willingly give Cleveland a discount of $5million.

Quote:The Jags did you guys a favor with an easy, simplistic, not all too expensive contract to match. You're welcome. 

The only thing tougher than being a fan of the Browns is being a fan of the Jags. Disappointment reigns. 
When did you get a copy of the contract? Link plz. 

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Quote:The Jags did you guys a favor with an easy, simplistic, not all too expensive contract to match. You're welcome. 

Having a decent QB would help both teams a lot.

Quote:When did you get a copy of the contract? Link plz. 

They immediately fax the contract to TMD prior to any other news outlets. 

You must be new here. 

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 12:39 AM by knarnn.)

Well we do have this going for us. Cleveland has been an historically cheap team. Having to overpay for anyone works in our favor.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:They immediately fax the contract to TMD prior to any other news outlets. 

You must be new here. 
Sadly, I am not new and am fully aware of the fax every contract to TMD policy. 

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Is it too much to ask to at least wait until the numbers come out before you go all doom and gloom?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Well we do have this going for us. Cleveland has been an historically cheap team. Having to overpay for anyone works in our favor.

This is a new Cleveland owner though. 

The only thing we have going for us would be if that quote about "letting Mack leave if he didn't want to stay" was legit. Thats literally our only hope, because this contract is an easy match for Cleveland. 

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 12:52 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:This is a new Cleveland owner though.

The only thing we have going for us would be if that quote about "letting Mack leave if he didn't want to stay" was legit. Thats literally our only hope, because this contract is an easy match for Cleveland.
In case you haven't kept up with the NFL news in the past couple of months, the owner has absolutely no idea what he is doing. The entire front office is the laughing stock of the league. Sans the coaching/GM debacle, the federal indictments and players openly stating they don't want to play for the organization.

Quote:This is a new Cleveland owner though. 

Very interesting….I was just reading something very similar to this.

Now where did I see that...

Oh yeah:

Quote:As said...this contract we wrote is almost a favor to Cleveland to aid in their re-signing of Mack. We made it easy on them to match. 

Quote:I'm glad we targeted him, but I must say if those contract numbers were accurate, I am disappointed in the contract we offered to try and get it done. Very uninspiring effort. The least they could have done was be somewhat creative in the attempt to give Cleveland something to ponder. I expected smarter out of us. 

Quote:Wishful thinking IMO....

I'm sure that by transitioning Mack they knew they'd have to match whatever contract another team offered barring something with really creative/ hard to match terms. 

This contract is not that. The Browns will likely match, and quickly, too. Nothing to think about at all. 

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 12:52 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:In case you haven't kept up with the NFL news in the past couple of months, the owner has absolutely no idea what he is doing. The entire front office is the laughing stock of the league.

That doesn't mean he won't spend/ match this offer....

As said, the only chance we got is if that quote was legit about letting Mack leave if he doesn't want to be there. 

Wait, wut? We drafted Mack???

No seriously though.  What if Cleveland doesn't match and we draft Mack? We'd have an offense with Mack impact and in fact, a defense with an impact Mack on that. Immackulate Conceptz!

You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:We don't know the end game - keep that in mind...

Good point.   This applies to both teams.

For the Jaguars,  at least part of the strategy could be related to making large scale signings in the future.   The offer sheet to Alex Mack sends a message that the Jaguars are willing to pay top dollar for high caliber players and a top FA is willing to sign with the team.