Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Hey, if you like to play GM here is a great free website that lets you pit your drafting skills against a computer

http://first-pick.com/Default.aspx  Enjoy!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Well duh, what do you think hes going to say? Give me 20 million over the next 2 yrs then im heading for San Francisco? He wants a SB ring. Who do you think has the better chance the Jags, Browns or 49ers?
49ers>Jags>Browns in that order. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I know Jags fans are great and thanks for the fun discussion. Will follow this with interest. Go Browns, Go Jags.

Quote:49ers>Jags>Browns in that order. 
LOL. We will see.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 02:07 AM by Swaguars.)

Quote:LOL. We will see.

I'm sorry but your amazing defense got beat by Henne and crew.. 

[Image: 95c997bace32d5caf838f9fc99823d20.png]

Inb4 "Oh it's because we had Weeden"

Quote:I never seen such a quote from Mack, maybe you saw something I didn't.

Go back a few pages. Its there.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Don't know if this ha been posted already since I haven't read the entire thread, but it looks like Mack and the Jags have reached a deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-jagu...--nfl.html

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 03:33 AM by Predator.)

Quote:The opt out will be re-negotiated out of his deal if the Browns don't match.  After year one, the Jags will re-negotiate with him and give him more money up front in exchange for the removal of that option from the contract.  

They can't admit to that right now because it would violate the CBA, but there's almost definitely a "wink-wink" between Mack and the Jags FO involving him either promising not to opt out after 2 with Jacksonville or promising to re-negotiate it away in exchange for X million more roster bonus in year three.
I think the 2 year opt out allows for enough time before renegotiation  to prevent the league from crying foul over a possible collusion between Mack and the jags, but it is short enough to make it a bad deal if the opt out clause is enacted.

The jags can now claim the short contract and opt out clause protects both the team and the player by allowing a courting phase before committing to a long term deal, instead of just being an expensive short term deal designed to dissuade Cleveland from matching.

Now we have to hope Cleveland doesn't match just for spite.

Jags stand good chance of getting Mack. Thats a pretty big deal.  This draft is deep in G and Tackles too. Easy to find a 1st/2nd round talent in the 3rd/4th

i understand it's against convention but before I loose it and condemn caldwell I'm going to wait for the official numbers to come out on a mainstream media source.

Considering the offer sheet hasn't been signed or faxed to the league yet, as far as i can tell, I very much doubt there is a copy of it floating around the internet. What I've read suggests the basis for a deal has been agreed and the contract being written up has been agreed.

it seems like they will sign on friday which means we won't know the nofficial numbers til then and if the browns will match it til wednesday

If mack wants out of cleveland I would feel very good that he would only agree to a deal he felt the browns would not match and considering he could be on the hook for 5 years I would expect him to have put alot of wrinkles in to make it unpalatable for the browns

that being said i don't feel caldwell should be held to ransom over this deal. Ultimately he should pay what he feels mack is worth, which is the money for a top 5 centre in his prime. If cleveland match he looses nothing if not he overpays for an excellent player when cap is not an issue, I'm happy either way

getting mack would also make me feel alot better about using a lower round pick on a guard

I personally like the look of anthony steen with the ravens pick in the 4th or russel bodine at the top of the 5th

i feel like rackley mclendon brewster and  say steen could all compete for the right guard spot with one of the loosers getting cut

joeckel beadles mack steen pasztor is a very young solid line and I would be very happy going into the season with them

spending the ravens 4th on steen that would also allow us to go qb de wr in the first 3 rounds which would be huge increase in talent at the skill positions

just as an example

(insert fav top3 qb) in my case teddy, kareem martin, jordan matthews (would say moncrief but his stock seems to have risen)

Quote:This is a new Cleveland owner though. 

The only thing we have going for us would be if that quote about "letting Mack leave if he didn't want to stay" was legit. Thats literally our only hope, because this contract is an easy match for Cleveland. 

I'm with you, I'm a little disappointed they weren't more creative, but on the other hand, I can understand their hesitation to do that because "creative" contracts can come back to bite you in the butt if the player then double-crosses you and refuses to renegotiate.   Also, Caldwell may have had second thoughts about being too tricky and hardball with the Browns, thinking maybe it would cause too much bad blood.  

I think in the end, they made it a little bit difficult for Cleveland, with the high pay and the guarantees and the opt out after two years.   I give us a 40% chance of landing him.   60% chance Cleveland matches, partly because they have walked out on a limb with all their talk about how they will match anything. 

If the Browns match, Mack will say how happy he is, and how he always wanted to be a Brown for life, etc etc. 

And if the Browns refuse to match?   I will give Caldwell a lot of credit for doing this without any major tricks in the contract that we would have had to live with.  

Quote:lol, you don't understand that we pretty much did Cleveland a favor with that. In 2 years is when their contracts will be coming up for some of their players like Haden and Gordon. 

No, I think you're wrong about that.   The opt out can be exercised by Mack, not by the Browns.   If what I read is true, which is a big if. 

Brewster before his senior season was considered a top 20 draft pick. His senior year his stock fell off the truck.  If he had come out his junior year he would have probably gone in the top 60 most likely.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 06:16 AM by Predator.)

I think I know how it will be structured.

They will give him a large signing bonus like 25 million. Signing bonuses are amortized over the life of the contract so you divide the bonus by the number of years of the contract and that is how much the bonus counts against the cap each year, so $25 mil would be $5 mil each year against the cap.

So the contract is voidable after 2 years. That means $5 mil will count against the 2014 cap and $5 mil against the 2015 cap leaving $15 mil left to be amortized over the remaining 3 years of the contract. If he opts out after year two, they lose the final 3 years of amortization so the remaining $15 mil has to count against the next seasons cap which will give them a $15 mil hit on their 2016 salary cap as "dead money".

That means approximately 10% of their 2016  cap space will be tied up in a player that has just walked away and if I am correct, 2016 is also the year they are expecting to have little cap space due to a bunch of contract extensions.

If they match, in 2016 they risk not only losing Mack by him opting out of his contract but also losing the cap space needed to re-sign or keep some of  their other high priority players. A double whammy, if you would, for them.

The jags could also offer a sizable roster bonus in 2016 to be paid before the opt out date costing them even more cash and giving them an even larger dead money hit to their 2016 salary cap.

Brilliant.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 06:19 AM by Kotite.)

Gene ruffled Cleveland's feathers and we got Don Carey. If Dave pulls this off..
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Gene ruffled Cleveland's feathers and we got Don Carey. If Dave pulls this off..
We further irritate an already ridiculous organization?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

You know Browns fans are worried when they come here to post.

Huh

Quote:I think I know how it will be structured.

They will give him a large signing bonus like 25 million. Signing bonuses are amortized over the life of the contract so you divide the bonus by the number of years of the contract and that is how much the bonus counts against the cap each year, so $25 mil would be $5 mil each year against the cap.

So the contract is voidable after 2 years. That means $5 mil will count against the 2014 cap and $5 mil against the 2015 cap leaving $15 mil left to be amortized over the remaining 3 years of the contract. If he opts out after year two, they lose the final 3 years of amortization so the remaining $15 mil has to count against the next seasons cap which will give them a $15 mil hit on their 2016 salary cap as "dead money".

That means approximately 10% of their 2016  cap space will be tied up in a player that has just walked away and if I am correct, 2016 is also the year they are expecting to have little cap space due to a bunch of contract extensions.

If they match, in 2016 they risk not only losing Mack by him opting out of his contract but also losing the cap space needed to re-sign or keep some of  their other high priority players. A double whammy, if you would, for them.

The jags could also offer a sizable roster bonus in 2016 to be paid before the opt out date costing them even more cash and giving them an even larger dead money hit to their 2016 salary cap.

Brilliant.
Very nice analysis.

We still don't have the final wording of the contract and there may still be additional consequences for the Browns to match. Adding a Roster Bonus would cause a lot of additional financial concern (pain) in a very important year for the organization. This might make them fail the "Stress Test"

I have said I wouldn't want to play poker with Dave, Chess is now also on that list.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:Very nice analysis.

We still don't have the final wording of the contract and there may still be additional consequences for the Browns to match. Adding a Roster Bonus would cause a lot of additional financial concern (pain) in a very important year for the organization. This might make them fail the "Stress Test"

I have said I wouldn't want to play poker with Dave, Chess is now also on that list.

HeadSlap
Yeah, they were probably just waiting for me to post this so they will know how to word it. :teehee: