Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:I wonder if the Browns FO will now be a bit sour over this. Like is it an a unwritten rule that you dont mess with another team's transition players?
If there is, it's called collusion. Besides, it's no more a rule than "don't claim draft picks who are waived/injured"...

There's a move I wish we hadn't made.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 05:34 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:That's what I always wondered about.  If they were willing to match anything, as they were alleging, then why couldn't they negotiate a deal without us entering the picture?  

I think it was laziness.  They didn't care either way, so they didn't bother putting any effort into it.

If they'd actually thought it out, they should have franchise tagged him.  Then they're only in for a year and get hefty compensation should anyone go after him.  Now that we see that the Jaguars were the only suitors, that would have been the wiser move.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I wonder if the Browns FO will now be a bit sour over this. Like is it an a unwritten rule that you dont mess with another team's transition players?

I've never heard that. 

I've heard there was some unwritten rule about the player that Gene Smith went after a few years ago....but transition players are fair game. They are just hard to get. Besides, we did Cleveland a favor.....you think they are going to be mad at us?? Quite the contrary. 

I have never heard that rule.  If that were true, then why have the Transition designation differ from the Franchise designation?   The rules say you can negotiate with a Transition player.   And I'm sure it has been done lots of times.   I remember Coughlin doing it with Alonzo Spellman.  

Quote:Who's miserable? You? I look at it as the Jaguars taking a swing for the fences, and Cleveland choosing to eat a huge contract with a no-trade clause and an opt-out rather than let us hit the home run.

We didn't pay $42 million for a center, no. There is such a thing as paying too much, and if Caldwell had thrown $60 million over five years at Mack, we might've landed him, yeah, but how much is Mack costing us against the salary cap in 2016/2017 when we have to start signing guys to long-term deals?

The only team that didn't "get it done" was the Browns. They screwed the pooch by not franchising Mack, and now they're paying out their ears for a center who doesn't want to be in Cleveland and will bolt the second the opportunity arises.

The Browns are not "paying out their ears"....they are paying market value - for the best Center in football. Similar to what RYan Kalil and Jason Kelce just got. 

As much as I know this won't happen, it'd be really amusing if Mack came out and said, "Look, Cleveland fans, I love you guys, I love your passion, but I really, really did not want to be stuck working for these morons anymore."

Quote:Everything is either a success or failure. 

If you get the player it would have been a success. We did not. Thus it was a failure. 

Maybe thats too black and white, but as said, NFL football is a results oriented business. 

NOT getting Mack ain't gonna help us in the win column next year...

Well, if anyone would be a subject matter expert on failure....

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

No, they just gambled with the chance he might leave them without compensation and got lucky.  They knew the risk but thought so little of Mack they opened him to the market anyway.

Quote:The Browns are not "paying out their ears"....they are paying market value - for the best Center in football. Similar to what RYan Kalil and Jason Kelce just got. 
Do you actually know what "market value" is for a center in the NFL?  It's not necessarily the highest paid player at the position.   There will be opportunities in the draft to find a center, and we have no idea what will shake out after the draft in free agency.  Making a player the highest paid at his position isn't necessary to get a good center we can live with for years.

You deny it, but you'd be whining regardless of whether the team got the guy or not.  You are the straddle queen on this board.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 05:47 PM by Jagwired.)

The Brownies let the Jags dictate to them what they will pay one of their core players and accept all the wrinkles that came with the offer.  I just bet they are all warm and fuzzy inside.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:As much as I know this won't happen, it'd be really amusing if Mack came out and said, "Look, Cleveland fans, I love you guys, I love your passion, but I really, really did not want to be stuck working for these morons anymore."

If anything, after running him through the wringer to get the deal it makes the possibility he walks after year two even greater.

Quote:No, they just gambled with the chance he might leave them without compensation and got lucky.  They knew the risk but thought so little of Mack they opened him to the market anyway.
Exactly.  The Browns had an opportunity to avoid this all together, but they took a guy who is arguably one of the better players on their roster, and the dangled him out there for other teams to pursue.  That speaks volumes. 

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 05:43 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Do you actually know what "market value" is for a center in the NFL?  It's not the highest paid player at the position. 

You deny it, but you'd be whining regardless of whether the team got the guy or not.  You are the straddle queen on this board.

Mack is better than Kalil and Kelce. He just got a contract that barely pays him more than they received. Yes. Market value. 

No I would not be whining had we gotten the player. That on you. I'll never whine about the Jags spending a lot to add top players at their positions (other than Special Teams' or FB) 

Quote:The Browns are not "paying out their ears"....they are paying market value - for the best Center in football. Similar to what RYan Kalil and Jason Kelce just got.

Maybe you should take a look at the guaranteed dollars those players got. The contract isn't similar in the least.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

LOL... except he'll likely run for the hills after year two.  Yes, they are swallowing more guarantees than they would have otherwise paid, and might end up with a guy that walks away granting them ZERO compensation!

Franchise tag was a better option, and they blew it.

Quote:Exactly.  The Browns had an opportunity to avoid this all together, but they took a guy who is arguably one of the better players on their roster, and the dangled him out there for other teams to pursue.  That speaks volumes. 

Yes, that's what I don't understand.   All that bluster about how they would match anything immediately, as if he was refusing to negotiate a contract with them.   It's stupid.   Why send the guy out to negotiate with another team if you are already willing to match anything?  

If you get the player it would have been a success. We did not. Thus it was a failure. 

Maybe thats too black and white, but as said, NFL football is a results oriented business. 

I am 6'2" and 252 pounds

I want to be bigger than a guy that is 6'6" and 284

I have failed.

Do you see how stupid that sounds? It's the exact same thing.

(dang, probably shouldn't have use my real height and weight though.... )

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Yes, that's what I don't understand.   All that bluster about how they would match anything immediately, as if he was refusing to negotiate a contract with them.   It's stupid.   Why send the guy out to negotiate with another team if you are already willing to match anything?  
Ineptitude, not a doubt in my mind if his level of play remains similar he will walk asap.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Adding top 5 level players at their position's IS results, or at least a means to them.

And the beat goes on...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I am 6'2" and 252 pounds

I want to be bigger than a guy that is 6'6" and 284

I have failed.

Do you see how stupid that sounds? It's the exact same thing.

(dang, probably shouldn't have use my real height and weight though.... )

Better than being 2'6 and 252 haha

[Image: SaKG4.gif]