Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "Let's talk about"

Quote:Very. Cool! Black tarps will kill any I wanted vegetation. If a chemical is wanted and won't affect the chickens, use ortho ground clear concentrate, those little weeds/vegetation will be screaming for mercy I a few hours. Also, a salt/vinegar mix will do the trick if your looking for a " organic way".

Salt & Vinegar chips ftw!!!

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Very. Cool! Black tarps will kill any I wanted vegetation. If a chemical is wanted and won't affect the chickens, use ortho ground clear concentrate, those little weeds/vegetation will be screaming for mercy I a few hours. Also, a salt/vinegar mix will do the trick if your looking for a " organic way".

yea I'm trying to keep the garden organic"ish" I don't mind using chemicals but I just don't know enough about them to feel safe about it. Our plan is to supplement most of our grocery bill within the next 2 years with what we will grow in our own "backyard" (1 1/2 acre farm basically) So I'd just hate to start off on the wrong foot and put something in the ground that would either contaminate or kill my garden.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Salt & Vinegar chips ftw!!!

Darn right. I run a landscaping/ maintenance company. Some people want organic, other want instant death. I will provide whatever they want. Those are the best options!

Quote:Darn right. I run a landscaping/ maintenance company. Some people want organic, other want instant death. I will provide whatever they want. Those are the best options!

instant death  Laughing

Quote:yea I'm trying to keep the garden organic"ish" I don't mind using chemicals but I just don't know enough about them to feel safe about it. Our plan is to supplement most of our grocery bill within the next 2 years with what we will grow in our own "backyard" (1 1/2 acre farm basically) So I'd just hate to start off on the wrong foot and put something in the ground that would either contaminate or kill my garden.

Sounds like you want to pull out all the unwanted vegetation by hand. It is a long and tedious process, but if your looking to grow AND eat what comes out the ground, then pull it. Vinegar will kill, but won't prevent any new growth. Salt will just mess up any growing you will do in the future. I'm sure your well aware of any chemicals and their repercussions.

On that big of a scale my expertise vanishes. You'll want to consult a farmer. I deal mostly with rich/upity people trying to get rid of weed ps from their flower beds.

Quote:On that big of a scale my expertise vanishes. You'll want to consult a farmer. I deal mostly with rich/upity people trying to get rid of weed ps from their flower beds.

Thanks for the advice anyways! It was on par with what the farmers told me, they said on ground you want to re-plant and grow tarp it. To just kill it and keep it dead use the chemicals. I hadn't heard of the salt/vinegar before good to know for future reference. 

Quote:Thanks for the advice anyways! It was on par with what the farmers told me, they said on ground you want to re-plant and grow tarp it. To just kill it and keep it dead use the chemicals. I hadn't heard of the salt/vinegar before good to know for future reference.

Yeah, the salt and vinegar mix is the "wink wink" mix I use when the EPA wants to know what I'm using. Some clients prefer it, and in will use it. In your case, since your growing, it would make sense to me to use it since you plan on eating whatever you grow. If your looking to kill an area and not grow, use a tarp or ( really anything prventing light ang weeds/grass from growing and popping through) or the Ortho concentrate at full power. I won't dilute the ortho. But then again, my clients want death ASAP.

Mars, so beautiful!

Quote:The property appraisers website will give you the exact location...

Where did your son see Fred?

Before the Orange and Blue game today. Bunny boy is one of the assistant trainers.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I'd stay away from those ideas if he's wanting to grow anything back in those spots.

Quote:Darn right. I run a landscaping/ maintenance company. Some people want organic, other want instant death. I will provide whatever they want. Those are the best options!

I'm one of those instant death people! I'm not eating anything from my yard...so kill them buggers dead!!!

Quote:I'd stay away from those ideas if he's wanting to grow anything back in those spots.

That's pretty cool. Fred trumps my former jag connection. Although my connection is still cool and down to earth, he isn't Freddy T!

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2014, 12:43 AM by xJAGGYx.)

Quote:I'm one of those instant death people! I'm not eating anything from my yard...so kill them buggers dead!!!

Ortho ground clear concentrate, no dilution. Black bottle. Spray your beds down, by noon you'll hear ' 'em screaming.

Quote:That's pretty cool. Fred trumps my former jag connection. Although my connection is still cool and down to earth, he isn't Freddy T!

It's a big deal for my son...Freddy has always been his ultimate favorite player! :yes:

Quote:Ortho ground clear concentrate, no dilution. Black bottle. Spray your beds down, by noon you'll hear ' 'em screaming.

I'm not a "plant" person! My family calls me the Black Plague of the plant world! I have fake plants that are looking kind of sickly!!

Well, for whatever reason I can't quote you right now.

It should be a big deal for your son. Fred Taylor is a great role model.

As for your plants. I feel sorry for them.

Quote:Well, for whatever reason I can't quote you right now.

It should be a big deal for your son. Fred Taylor is a great role model.

As for your plants. I feel sorry for them.

I feel sorry for my plants too!! I'm the plant executioner!!!

Quote:I feel sorry for my plants too!! I'm the plant executioner!!!

Just love them. Know where you get full sun or partial sun and plant accordingly. Keep in mind whether or not they are cold hardy or not and how much water they like. If you keep that in mind and plant stuff and they still won't grow, then do a ph test and add to your soil. Plants grow naturally, they really dont need you or fertilizer. Just plant stuff in areas they like, maybe on the other side of the house or the back of the house, wherever the sun is, or isn't or wherever it is more moist and dry. All the plants you buy will have a card telling you want they prefer. After the first couple of weeks of water and possibly fertilizer your done!

A dead plant will keep its color and blooms for about two weeks. So all nurseries and maintenance companies will guarantee plants for two weeks! Either way it's your fault! Smile

Quote:Just love them. Know where you get full sun or partial sun and plant accordingly. Keep in mind whether or not they are cold hardy or not and how much water they like. If you keep that in mind and plant stuff and they still won't grow, then do a ph test and add to your soil. Plants grow naturally, they really dont need you or fertilizer. Just plant stuff in areas they like, maybe on the other side of the house or the back of the house, wherever the sun is, or isn't or wherever it is more moist and dry. All the plants you buy will have a card telling you want they prefer. After the first couple of weeks of water and possibly fertilizer your done!

A dead plant will keep its color and blooms for about two weeks. So all nurseries and maintenance companies will guarantee plants for two weeks! Either way it's your fault! Smile

If the plants could just be as annoying as my pets are when they want something, they might have a better chance of survival!!