Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "Let's talk about"

Quote:Meh, so you go to work sore. moving around can alleviate some of that by forcing blood to the muscles.

I think what he's getting at is that your bosses/coworkers/customers will think you're a weirdo who gets in back alley fights.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think what he's getting at is that your bosses/coworkers/customers will think you're a weirdo who gets in back alley fights.

They think that already.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I get a "rainy day schedule" when it rains here. Too bad that's only like twice a year :/

Cotton modules. Central Valley rain is triggered by cotton modules. I'm sure of it.

Quote:Move here....you'll get your fill!!!

But then I'd have to leave behind the job that allows the rainy day schedules.

Quote:They think that already.

Haha, touché.

Quote:This rain is draining away my will to do anything today.... This happening to anyone else?
Sounds like a regular day for me.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Cotton modules. Central Valley rain is triggered by cotton modules. I'm sure of it.

Cotton is a rare sight around here anymore.

Quote:But then I'd have to leave behind the job that allows the rainy day schedules.

I'm pretty sure we have farm land here too! You can start yourself an orange grove!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Cotton is a rare sight around here anymore.

That explains the lack of rain!!

Quote:Cotton is a rare sight around here anymore.

Wow. No kidding? I remember modules lined up for miles. It's been 15 years since I left, so... Drought?

Quote:I'm pretty sure we have farm land here too! You can start yourself an orange grove!

Citrus is a strange and mysterious beast to me. I'd die of stress.

Quote:Citrus is a strange and mysterious beast to me. I'd die of stress.

They grow a lot of potatoes in Putnam county! Big Grin

Quote:Wow. No kidding? I remember modules lined up for miles. It's been 15 years since I left, so... Drought?

Acreage increases in pistachios, almonds, and dairy led the pack from 1997 to 2008. The largest decrease was cotton which lost a staggering 75 percent in acreage; from about 1,000,000 acres in 1997 to about 250,000 acres in 2008.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.westernfarmpress.com/central-valley-permanent-crops-dairy-increase-major-cotton-reduction'>http://m.westernfarmpress.com/central-valley-permanent-crops-dairy-increase-major-cotton-reduction</a>

The article is a little old now but you get the picture. Open ground farming is becoming a niche thing, while permanent crops are going absolutely crazy. Even land we just thought of as "sand pits" goes for like $35,000/acre for almond orchards.

Anyway, huge drought problem right now. There are some folks that just gave up farming for the year and are de-budding their vines. Out on the Westside, we have 1000's of acres of dead orchards along Interstate 5.

Quote:They grow a lot of potatoes in Putnam county! Big Grin

Open ground farming is even stranger to me. I've never done it a day in my life. Bring on the citrus!

Isn't there pecans there?

Quote:Acreage increases in pistachios, almonds, and dairy led the pack from 1997 to 2008. The largest decrease was cotton which lost a staggering 75 percent in acreage; from about 1,000,000 acres in 1997 to about 250,000 acres in 2008.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.westernfarmpress.com/central-valley-permanent-crops-dairy-increase-major-cotton-reduction'>http://m.westernfarmpress.com/central-valley-permanent-crops-dairy-increase-major-cotton-reduction</a>

The article is a little old now but you get the picture. Open ground farming is becoming a niche thing, while permanent crops are going absolutely crazy. Even land we just thought of as "sand pits" goes for like $35,000/acre for almond orchards.

Anyway, huge drought problem right now. There are some folks that just gave up farming for the year and are de-budding their vines. Out on the Westside, we have 1000's of acres of dead orchards along Interstate 5.

Crazy. It was just the opposite while I was there. Does Gilroy still smell like garlic heaven?

Quote:Crazy. It was just the opposite while I was there. Does Gilroy still smell like garlic heaven?

Ah Gilroy. Yes it does, and they still do the Garlic Festival every year too. Although Gilroy is fast becoming part of the South San Francisco/San Jose megalopolis.

They've finally ok'd the fancy bullet train, when that goes in I think both the Bay Area and LA will spread quickly into the CV.

Quote:Ah Gilroy. Yes it does, and they still do the Garlic Festival every year too. Although Gilroy is fast becoming part of the South San Francisco/San Jose megalopolis.

They've finally ok'd the fancy bullet train, when that goes in I think both the Bay Area and LA will spread quickly into the CV.

I remember when Gilroy was an outpost.

Huh. Just noticed that this is the anniversary of the sinking of The Titanic.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Huh. Just noticed that this is the anniversary of the sinking of The Titanic.

Poor Leo Sad
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Poor Leo Sad

There was room enough on that plank for both of them!!