Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "Let's talk about"

Quote:My wife and I just had a little one.

A little 8wk old puppy. She was doing so well I almost thought she was pre-potty trained. Let's just say she proved me wrong this afternoon after her vet appointment.

What kind of puppy?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Been through a Typhoon or two, I'd imagine?...maybe even a super Typhoon?

Not a full blown one, but the edges.  The worst I experienced was the feeder band of a super typhoon.  The biggest threat is the ubiquitous corrugated tin roofs ripping up and flying around like giant blades.  It never failed to kill a few people in gruesome fashion.

Quote:Not a full blown one, but the edges.  The worst I experienced was the feeder band of a super typhoon.  The biggest threat is the ubiquitous corrugated tin roofs ripping up and flying around like giant blades.  It never failed to kill a few people in gruesome fashion.

eegads...

They had a real bad one there last year. One of, if not the strongest recorded on record. 

So there's this:

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-ani...hite-shark

Can I play the "I work in the heat" game?

Worst ever was being in the Engine Room as we toured the Virgin Islands in August. The thermometer that hung by the DFT (don't ask, I'm not sure I could even explain it now anyway) read 120 F. We stood five hour watches down there and to get relief we would go into an 85 degree berthing compartment and lay on the tile floor just to have something cool to touch.

I've never been so miserably hot in my life.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I've never understood how the Navy got snipes to reenlist. What a hot miserable job.

Quote:I've never understood how the Navy got snipes to reenlist. What a hot miserable job.

When we were touring the Persian Gulf in September it seemed like there was a reenlistment every other day. I couldn't fathom how anyone could talk themselves into doing that.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I grew up with no a/c and then lived in the Philippines for 4 years without it.  A person grows accustomed.   

You lived in the Philippines?   Was this during the Tim Tebow era when he was doing circumcisions?  Banana 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

....it was hot when I played golf Sunday.

The beer wasn't hot.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:....it was hot when I played golf Sunday.

The beer wasn't hot.

That's always a good thing.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:When we were touring the Persian Gulf in September it seemed like there was a reenlistment every other day. I couldn't fathom how anyone could talk themselves into doing that.

Persian Gulf=money box=no taxes on reenlistment bonuses.

The only job I've seen equivalent to snipes is V2 division on carriers - steam catapult rooms. During heavy launch schedules they sleep in that sauna. Can't be healthy. Medical kept an hourly check log on the door.

Quote:Persian Gulf=money box=no taxes on reenlistment bonuses.

The only job I've seen equivalent to snipes is V2 division on carriers - steam catapult rooms. During heavy launch schedules they sleep in that sauna. Can't be healthy. Medical kept an hourly check log on the door.

Makes complaining about working with the sun in my eyes seem a little petty, especially since I work from home. 

A good friend of mine worked in the catapult rooms when he was first in the Navy.  He said it was the most miserable experience he's ever had in his life.  He took solace by making friends among the Seals that were on his ship.  They'd let him do target practice with them when the ship did a trash dump. 

Quote:Makes complaining about working with the sun in my eyes seem a little petty, especially since I work from home.

A good friend of mine worked in the catapult rooms when he was first in the Navy. He said it was the most miserable experience he's ever had in his life. He took solace by making friends among the Seals that were on his ship. They'd let him do target practice with them when the ship did a trash dump.

New Years Day, many moons ago, I qualified on the .50 cal shooting garbage bags from the fantail while steaming north out of the Straits of Hormuz. Damn that was fun. Garbage confetti.

Quote:New Years Day, many moons ago, I qualified on the .50 cal shooting garbage bags from the fantail while steaming north out of the Straits of Hormuz. Damn that was fun. Garbage confetti.

That was pretty much his story as well.  He said it was a blast to both watch, then participate in blowing up trash bags. 

Dang it.  I got one hole of golf in before Mr. Lightning decided to show up.  I was hitting good, too.  

No, Mr. Beer.  I realize I finished well before planned and there is nothing to do now but sit inside while it rains and flashes outside, but I have work tomorrow. What's that, you say?  You promise not to pester me after only 2 or 5?  You promise?  Only a few... Yes, just a few...  Look, are we going to argue about this?  If so, I'll just leave you in the fridge. Okay, we got a deal?  Alright then, come to papa.  

Never argue with your beer..........

[Image: review.jpg]

Quote:Never argue with your beer..........

Words to live by, my good man.

I think I made a huge mistake.

I pulled every string I could find and I got into the coaching clinic that the staff is putting on.

I got in, and even got a call from the team telling me that I could attend even though I don't coach High School ball.

Then work popped up and I would have had to drive 1,200 miles in 60 hours in order to make a deadline.

I had to tell them that I couldn't make it because of work.

I love coaching and I don't love work. I chose work.

FML

Quote:I think I made a huge mistake.

I pulled every string I could find and I got into the coaching clinic that the staff is putting on.

I got in, and even got a call from the team telling me that I could attend even though I don't coach High School ball.

Then work popped up and I would have had to drive 1,200 miles in 60 hours in order to make a deadline.

I had to tell them that I couldn't make it because of work.

I love coaching and I don't love work. I chose work.

FML

Yep...huge mistake!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???