Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

Quote:TMD, you better tell Martinez he is suppose to be a bad hitter. The dude is absolutely locked in.

LOL....you are a pathalogical liar. I never, ever said Martinez was a "bad" hitter. 

I said he was older, overproducing and will likely slow down to his statistical norms soon. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:LOL....you are a pathalogical liar. I never, ever said Martinez was a "bad" hitter. 

I said he was older, overproducing and will likely slow down to his statistical norms soon. 

And I never said that you said he was a bad hitter. I'm saying that if he doesn't start sucking soon, he's going to be a top 60 lock.

FWIW:

1. He missed all of 2012 with a knee injury.

2. He had a down year last year which isn't shocking considering he came off knee surgery.

3. This is only the 2nd year Martinez has ever been soley a DH. The other year, last year, he was coming off knee surgery. When you are such a solid hitter (career .300+) and all you have to focus on over the entire season is hitting, good things can happen.

4. His BABIP is actually below his career average, so if that reverted to the mean his batting average would increase (albeit, minimally).

5. His HR/FB% is above his career career average, but not anything ridiculous. Even if it reverted back to the mean, you'd still be looking at 10-15 home runs rest of season.

It's not as if this is incredibly flukey of Victor (aside from a power bump). The guy is a switch hitter than hits for average and power from both sides of the plate. He is a guy that has as many HRs as Strikeouts this season which is an absolutely crazy stat. I don't think he is going to fall off the face of the earth.

Quote: 

It's not as if this is incredibly flukey of Victor (aside from a power bump). The guy is a switch hitter than hits for average and power from both sides of the plate. He is a guy that has as many HRs as Strikeouts this season which is an absolutely crazy stat. I don't think he is going to fall off the face of the earth.

a 40 HR pace is fluky from a guy whose career best is 25 HR, IIRC, tho....and thats particularly what I am referring to. 

Did you not read the rest of my post? I alluded to the inflated HR/FB%, but it isn't anything crazy. I also stated that even if his HR/FB% reverted back to it's mean, we would still be expecting 10-15 HRs rest of season.

Also, hitting as a full time DH probably allows a hitter to maximize his strength/potential, wouldn't you think? It's a heck of a lot different than having to play catcher.

15 HRs, 15 Doubles, 15 Strikeouts.

Steal.

I think what upset Manny was the fact that the ball was thrown directly at the knee he had reconstructive surgery on about 8 months ago.

Quote:I think what upset Manny was the fact that the ball was thrown directly at the knee he had reconstructive surgery on about 8 months ago.

that doesn't explain the exception he took to Donaldson for the tag out play. 

Quote:I wasn't explaining it to you. I'm agreeing with you that the bat was most likely intended to go at the pitcher. Why throw a bat at Alberto Callaspo if you are mat at Donaldson (not in the game) and Abad (pitcher)?

Still, throwing your bat at a pitcher because of an inside pitch is ridiculous.

I meant thank you for explaining this for me to TMD.

I agree throwing a bat at someone is probably not a good idea...but what else do batters have to defend themselves.  This is the first I've really ever heard of someone doing that.  If someone is throwing at you, and you have no way to defend yourself..."accidentally" letting the bat slip out of your hands is a good way to let them know you will defend.

Polanco finally getting called up!

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:that doesn't explain the exception he took to Donaldson for the tag out play.

The bat leaving his hand wasn't in response to the "hard" tag. Wei-Yen Chen threw at Josh Donaldson on Friday night in response to that and the ensuing confrontation. Fernando Abad throwing at Manny on Sunday was in response to that. The bat was in response to Abad throwing at Machado's injured knee.

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Diesel, hit by pitches are common and often times don't even leave a bruise. Sometimes they cause injury, but it is minor. Pitchers usually have good control of their stuff and stay away from the head area (ie. somewhere that can cause significant damage). Being it with a bat is almost sure to cause injury and I feel like its alot less controllable. A bat to the head would not be good.

Baseball has been played for over a hundred years... Do you think Machado is some kind of revolutionist? No.... every other player just realizes how messed up it is to be hurling bats out of control.

How can batters retaliate?

Ever hear of a player charging the mound? Ever hear of having your pitcher get their team back with an inside pitch of his own?

Manny Machado is not some brilliant minded revolutionist, he is a punk.

5 game suspension for Machado.

Quote:5 game suspension for Machado.

Good.

Quote:Right now Martinez is providing 2nd/ 3rd round value. By seasons end, he'll have leveled out to no better than 8th or 9th round value you watch. Last year he ended the season at 11th round value. The old man will slow down. its coming. If you were actually as baseball smart as you think you are, you'd sell him high right now, but you won't, since you're delusional, and think it will last all season. 

3 HRs and 7 RBIs in 6 games since this post. I'm glad I don't take advice from you.

Quote:3 HRs and 7 RBIs in 6 games since this post. I'm glad I don't take advice from you.

LOL, ....like clockwork. 

I'm just shocked you didn't mention Scherzer's 1st ever CG shutout. 

I just don't get why you think Victor Martinez isn't an elite hitter. Sure, the power numbers weren't there as a catcher, but do you realize how much more grueling it is to play catcher than Designated Hitter? VMart could always hit for both average and power from both sides of the plate and now we are seeing what he can do when he only has to focus on hitting night in and night out.

And before you cite last year, he was coming off a missed season and knee surgery, so a down year was expected. When batting over .300 is a down year, you've got yourself a good hitter.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014, 01:31 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I just don't get why you think Victor Martinez isn't an elite hitter. Sure, the power numbers weren't there as a catcher, but do you realize how much more grueling it is to play catcher than Designated Hitter? VMart could always hit for both average and power from both sides of the plate and now we are seeing what he can do when he only has to focus on hitting night in and night out.

And before you cite last year, he was coming off a missed season and knee surgery, so a down year was expected. When batting over .300 is a down year, you've got yourself a good hitter.

Can we just let the 2nd half play out a little bit before you put this cart ahead of the horse? 

Also, you have this disingenuous "knack" of trying to exaggerate opposing views. Its like you imply that I said Martinez was crap or something. I think he's a good hitter, very good hitter...but I'll still think he'll slow down closer to his seasonal norms before its all said and done. 

Quote:Can we just let the 2nd half play out a little bit before you put this cart ahead of the horse? 

Also, you have this disingenuous "knack" of trying to exaggerate opposing views. Its like you imply that I said Martinez was crap or something. I think he's a good hitter, very good hitter...but I'll still think he'll slow down closer to his seasonal norms before its all said and done. 

There is a big difference betweenConfusedlowing down and hitting his "seasonal norm" rates the rest of the season vs slowing down so much that his end of the season numbers line up with his seasonal norms.

Which are you saying will happen? If you take this 1st half of his and combine it with his average 2nd half, he is a top 50 player, so I'm assuming you are saying everything will revert to the mean.

Quote:There is a big difference betweenConfusedlowing down and hitting his "seasonal norm" rates the rest of the season vs slowing down so much that his end of the season numbers line up with his seasonal norms.

Which are you saying will happen? If you take this 1st half of his and combine it with his average 2nd half, he is a top 50 player, so I'm assuming you are saying everything will revert to the mean.

Obviously with his hot start, he'll likely exceed his seasonal norm's, now.....but I don't think it will be by as much as you are anticipating. You almost sound as if you are expecting he'll produce a carbon copy of his second half of what he did in the first. Highly unlikely to happen. 

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014, 04:50 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:Obviously with his hot start, he'll likely exceed his seasonal norm's, now.....but I don't think it will be by as much as you are anticipating. You almost sound as if you are expecting he'll produce a carbon copy of his second half of what he did in the first. Highly unlikely to happen. 

Do you even read my other posts? Never have I alluded to thinking he will produce a carbon copy of the 1st half. Nice strawman attempt, though.

Still, the only thing we should expect to drop is the # of HRs he is hitting. I'm curious as to what you think his end of the season stats will look like.

28 HRs

75 Runs

90 RBIs

2 SB

Sound fair? 

Now put that into context. Carlos Beltran finished 58th on ESPNs player rater last year with:

24 HRs

79 Runs

84 RBIs

2 SB

You are betting on Victor Martinez finishing outside the top 72...... that is laughable.