Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

Quote:The WC is a log jam at the top.

I dont see the Giants, Braves, and Brewers hanging on, which leaves the Pirates and Fish a good chance.

I just hope Hurdle can mismanage the Pirates out of playoff contention like he did with the Rockies a few years back.

You are wrong again, Go Buccos!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I dont see the Giants, Braves, and Brewers hanging on, which leaves the Pirates and Fish a good chance.

I just hope Hurdle can mismanage the Pirates out of playoff contention like he did with the Rockies a few years back.
Pirates win another, 4-1. Hurdle has dialed the right numbers in his time with the Pirates and got a well deserved extension earlier this season.

Giants are 81-65. Marlins aren't catching them.
TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Pirates win another, 4-1. Hurdle has dialed the right numbers in his time with the Pirates and got a well deserved extension earlier this season.

Giants are 81-65. Marlins aren't catching them.
;

Stanton took one off the face. It was ugly.
;

;

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014, 12:39 AM by AmeliaIsland.)

Giancarlo Stanton of the Marlins got an ugly beaning in Milwaukee.     :blink:    :pinch:    Sick Hope he is okay, he already leads the National League in both hits and RBI's.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/94278650/m...ches-clear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsIYfV6ADuQ

Stanton's injury was the worse thing I have ever saw since Saunders broke his arm playing for the Rays.

This is the kind of injury that can change the projection of someone's career mentally, just look at Heyward.

My main beef is why in the hell Roenicke decided to leave Fiers in there  after Stanton's injury  in which he hit Johnson in the hand, which was also high as well?

And I thought if someone is hit by a pitch, the ball is immediately ruled dead regardless if the batter went around or not? which was the case with Johnson.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Stanton's injury was the worse thing I have ever saw since Saunders broke his arm playing for the Rays.

This is the kind of injury that can change the projection of someone's career mentally, just look at Heyward.

My main beef is why in the hell Roenicke decided to leave Fiers in there after Stanton's injury in which he hit Johnson in the hand, which was also high as well?

And I thought if someone is hit by a pitch, the ball is immediately ruled dead regardless if the batter went around or not? which was the case with Johnson.

Umps were horrible. I couldn't believe how poorly they handled the situation. End result: Stanton out (most likely for the year), Mcgehee, Redmond, and then one of the next pitchers got ejected.

Could not believe they let Fiers stay in the game. You can't hit back to back hitters up and in and stay in the game. Then I found out they called strike 3......

Quote:Stanton's injury was the worse thing I have ever saw since Saunders broke his arm playing for the Rays.

My main beef is why in the hell Roenicke decided to leave Fiers in there  after Stanton's injury  in which he hit Johnson in the hand, which was also high as well?

Quote:Umps were horrible. I couldn't believe how poorly they handled the situation. End result: Stanton out (most likely for the year), Mcgehee, Redmond, and then one of the next pitchers got ejected.

Could not believe they let Fiers stay in the game. You can't hit back to back hitters up and in and stay in the game. Then I found out they called strike 3......
Haven't seen the play yet, but that sucks for Stanton and the Marlins. Was this a retaliatory thing, or a pitch that got away?

;

Quote:Haven't seen the play yet, but that sucks for Stanton and the Marlins. Was this a retaliatory thing, or a pitch that got away?

3 hits batters but I don't think any were intentional. Fiers fastball rises and it was just unfortunate he hit Stanton. You could tell by his reaction it wasn't intentional. Then he hit Johnson which I kinda get. No way in hell id be able to pitch after hitting someone like that. Poor call setting up inside by Lucroy.

Desclafani hit Gomez on the elbow. Mathis was set up inside and it didn't look intentional.

Quote:Umps were horrible. I couldn't believe how poorly they handled the situation. End result: Stanton out (most likely for the year), Mcgehee, Redmond, and then one of the next pitchers got ejected.

Yeah Kellog went to the 3rd base ump who said on both calls Stanton and Johnson both went around. I get that, but I thought my interpretation  was that how could a batter stop his swing when the ball is about to make contact with his body.

Then I saw this on MLB. after some research.

Rule 6.08(b). The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when -

He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball;

If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/off...tter_6.jsp

I would figure that rule would exempt a hit batsmen. 

Quote:Haven't seen the play yet, but that sucks for Stanton and the Marlins. Was this a retaliatory thing, or a pitch that got away?

It was a pitch that got away.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Fiers get a fine on the second hit though.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Agreed. Pretty crappy rule imo. The bat is gonna go around while you try to avoid getting hit. I still don't think johnson went around and at the very least it should have been a foul ball.

Last game of my season plan is tonight.

1 win away from our first AL east Championship since '97!

WE WONT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for the O's.  It's nice to see someone other than the Yanks and Sox take the AL East and I'm rooting for them all the way since I don't have any Cubs to root for.

Go O's!

#RaiseIt #Sweep

Big series with the Brew Crew now.

;

Raise It. Much needed win over the Brewers to start the series. Just about buries them.
;

Raise It. Much needed win over the Brewers to start the series. Just about buries them.
;