Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 05:46 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:What's racist is to assume I was making a comparison because they're both black. I was comparing them because they were both touted as the best QB in their respective classes. DE vs QB sort of debate. Give me Williams over Young, and Clowney over Bridgewater all day.
There have been plenty of Quarterbacks who were considered the best in their respective classes.  Vince Young is just one among many. You happened to cherry pick one that wasn't successful, and don't compare in any other way than being considered the best of their class of which there are several choices.

You'd take Mario Williams.  And then Williams would move on to another team like he did.  And Clowney will move on to another team like he likely will  Give me Bridgewater over the unmotivated Clowney every day of the week, and twice on Sunday's since that's the day football is played.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You realize this has nothing to do with anything right?

It has to do with Bridgewater having yet to play a reputable defense.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 05:48 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:It has to do with Bridgewater having yet to play a reputable defense.
Several successful Quarterbacks never played any reputable defenses in college.  The fact is the best defense that Bridgewater plays is closer to the best defense in college football, than the best defense in college football is to the worst defense in the NFL.  

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 05:49 PM by CSTblank.)

Quote:There have been plenty of Quarterbacks who were considered the best in their respective classes. Vince Young is just one among many. You happened to cherry pick one that wasn't successful, and don't compare in any other way than being considered the best of their class of which there are several choices.

You'd take Mario Williams. And then Williams would move on to another team like he did. And Clowney will move on to another team like he likely will Give me Bridgewater over the unmotivated Clowney every day of the week, and twice on Sunday's since that's the day football is played.
Mario leaving his team had more to do with the Texans failure to allocate cap room to retain a star player, and less to do with Mario dreaming of the day he could leave the team that drafted him. Swing and a miss.

Edit: you would pass on a star player for fear he will leave when his contract is up? What, like a QB would never think of leaving a team that drafted him? Do you see how your argument is full of holes?

Quote:It has to do with Bridgewater having yet to play a reputable defense.

The Gators had a good defense last year.  And he pretty much torched them.  It has nothing to do with what Florida's defense is doing this year. 

Quote:2006 draft: would you rather have Mario Williams or Vince Young?

That's what I thought. Clowney is being described as the best defensive prospect since Williams, if not better than him. Bridgewater is a flash in the pan, and has yet to face any REAL competition.

I know, I know "but but but he beat Florida" and how well is Florida playing this year? They were obviously an over ranked team. The same can be said about TB. Over rated.
Vince young doesn't hold a candle to Bridgewater....tell me what awesome competition Rothlisburger faced....how bout Montana....watch some tape on Teddy before you mouth off son
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 06:01 PM by CSTblank.)

Quote:Vince young doesn't hold a candle to Bridgewater....tell me what awesome competition Rothlisburger faced....how bout Montana....watch some tape on Teddy before you mouth off son
I've seen the YouTube highlights you call tape, and have watched his games live. He's pretty good, and probably the best QB in the draft, but he's not a better prospect than Clowney. No matter how much you want to spin it.

Edit: in 1973, the year before Montana's freshman year, Notre Dame won the national championship. They obviously didn't play a schedule full of scrubs that year. I'm not going to look up rankings of teams in the 70s to prove my point to you, but Montana was taken in the 3rd round. Not exactly an equal comparison.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 06:03 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:You people are delusional if you expect him to give 110% on every play all season long. He will be more successful than Bridgewater. Book it.

Stop. Just stop. He noticeably dogs it out there and has for years. Most other elite players he's competing against for draft stock, like Anthony Barr, don't do this.

And oh God, a Vince Young comparison. Classic.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 06:04 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:Mario leaving his team had more to do with the Texans failure to allocate cap room to retain a star player, and less to do with Mario dreaming of the day he could leave the team that drafted him. Swing and a miss.
Sorry.  Defensive Players are more likely to move around than offensive players are.  Of the 50 sack leaders in the NFL currently active, 24 have stuck with a single team.  Three of which came into the league in 2011.  Mario Williams likely would not have stayed here had we somehow gotten him instead.  He didn't exactly go and sign with a contender either.

But hey, anything that doesn't fit your narrative, you're not willing to accept.  Bridgewater is going to be a bust because he's <i>overrated</i>.  I bet you also think a DE is more important than a QB.  If that's the case then I just have to laugh.  

Vince Young or Mario Williams?

How about Mario Williams or Jay Cutler (the QB that turned out to be the best in that class).  I know I'd take Cutler.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 06:05 PM by CSTblank.)

Quote:Sorry. Defensive Players are more likely to move around than offensive players are. Of the 50 sack leaders in the NFL currently active, 24 have stuck with a single team. Three of which came into the league in 2011. Mario Williams likely would not have stayed here had we somehow gotten him instead. He didn't exactly go and sign with a contender either.

But hey, anything that doesn't fit your narrative, you're not willing to accept. Bridgewater is going to be a bust because he's overrated. I bet you also think a DE is more important than a QB. If that's the case then I just have to laugh.
You're proving my point. He didn't sign with a contender, he went where the money was. If Houston had planned on keeping him they could have made cap space to give him the $$$ he deserved, and he likely would not have left. You honestly think that the city of buffalo was so enticing to him that he was leaving no matter what? Pshhhh

Football games are won in the trenches, and it doesn't matter how good your QB is if the other team has all day to throw. It's like basketball on grass. Call me old fashioned but I want the opposing QB on his butt all game long.

Quote:You're proving my point. He didn't sign with a contender, he went where the money was. If Houston had planned on keeping him they could have made cap space to give him the $$$ he deserved, and he likely would not have left. You honestly think that the city of buffalo was so enticing to him that he was leaving no matter what? Pshhhh

Yes, and you don't think some team is going to offer Clowney a boatload of money too?  Really

And again forget Mario Williams vs Young.  Young was a bust and is a known bust.  How about Jay Cutler vs Mario Williams.

Quote:Sorry. Defensive Players are more likely to move around than offensive players are. Of the 50 sack leaders in the NFL currently active, 24 have stuck with a single team. Three of which came into the league in 2011. Mario Williams likely would not have stayed here had we somehow gotten him instead. He didn't exactly go and sign with a contender either.

But hey, anything that doesn't fit your narrative, you're not willing to accept. Bridgewater is going to be a bust because he's overrated. I bet you also think a DE is more important than a QB. If that's the case then I just have to laugh.

Vince Young or Mario Williams?

How about Mario Williams or Jay Cutler (the QB that turned out to be the best in that class). I know I'd take Cutler.

Williams>cutler

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM by CSTblank.)

Quote:Yes, and you don't think some team is going to offer Clowney a boatload of money too? Really

And again forget Mario Williams vs Young. Young was a bust and is a known bust. How about Jay Cutler vs Mario Williams.
If Houston had matched that offer, or even feigned interest, Mario likely would not have left. If jacksonville drafts Clowney and he leaves for more money than shame on jacksonville for not doing everything under the sun to retain him.

Edit: I've never said Bridgewater will be a bust, but I do maintain that he will not be as successful as Clowney.

Quote:Williams>cutler

I'd much rather have Cutler than Williams.  Quarterback is 100x more important than DE, and Cutler is a good Quarterback.

Quote:I'd much rather have Cutler than Williams. Quarterback is 100x more important than DE, and Cutler is a good Quarterback.

I'm not denying QB is important, or advocating that we not draft a QB. I want Clowney round 1 QB round 2.

Quote:2006 draft: would you rather have Mario Williams or Vince Young?

That's what I thought. Clowney is being described as the best defensive prospect since Williams, if not better than him. Bridgewater is a flash in the pan, and has yet to face any REAL competition.

I know, I know "but but but he beat Florida" and how well is Florida playing this year? They were obviously an over ranked team. The same can be said about TB. Over rated.

What does this years UF team have to do with last year?

Do you even logic bro?

You can basically copy-paste Pirkster's arguments from earlier in this thread and substitute them for this guy's.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 06:17 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:I'm not denying QB is important, or advocating that we not draft a QB. I want Clowney round 1 QB round 2.
I'd much rather have a QB Round 1, and a DE round 2.  

If Caldwell misses on the Quarterback, he should be fired in 2015.  GM's are tied to Quarterbacks.  They aren't tied to Defensive End's. Waiting until round two means you are left with the leftovers.  Good luck picking out the Russell Wilson over the Brandon Weedon.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 06:51 PM by CSTblank.)

Quote:I'd much rather have a QB Round 1, and a DE round 2.

If Caldwell misses on the Quarterback, he should be fired in 2015. GM's are tied to Quarterbacks. They aren't tied to Defensive End's. Waiting until round two means you are left with the leftovers. Good luck picking out the Russell Wilson over the Brandon Weedon.
I don't see a big drop off in rd 1 QBs vs rd 2 QBs.

I do however see a big drop off in rd 1 DEs vs rd 2 DEs.

But that's just me.

Quote:What does this years UF team have to do with last year?

Do you even logic bro?

I do logic. I'm just using the same thought process that the board uses in advocating that TOSU cant hang in big bowl games or the NC because they haven't before. I see a lot of picking and choosing going on