Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

Quote:Murray, McCarron, and Mettenberger are all possibilities at 33

I wouldn't take Murray or Mccarron until the 3rd round.  I'd much rather have Bridgewater + someone else in the 2nd, than Clowney + Murray or McCarron in the 2nd.  Or 3rd for that matter.  

Quote:I didn't start with the insults. But how nice of you to chime in again and show how wrong you are. First I was a racist, now I'm salty. Keep trying.

I didn't call you a racist.  I said it's racist to try and compare Vince Young to Teddy Bridgewater because the two aren't comparable in terms of being a Quarterback.  It'd be like comparing Johnny Manziel to Jimmy Clausen.  Saying that both were considered the best, still doesn't take into account the fact that Teddy is a much better prospect than VY was. 

But hey, keep deflecting. 

Quote:<div>
Edit: you would pass on a star player for fear he will leave when his contract is up? What, like a QB would never think of leaving a team that drafted him? Do you see how your argument is full of holes?

</div>

No, but I'd certainly take a good QB over a great DE any day (that's of course assuming Clowney does great.  There's always the chance he remains unmotivated and never does anything) Quarterbacks are much harder to find.  Like I said.  Good luck picking out the Russell Wilson over the Brandon Weedon.  

If Caldwell picks the wrong QB -- if he takes Murray in the 2nd, and Murray doesn't pan out, or if he takes McCarron in the 2nd, and McCarron doesn't pan out, then I think Khan will fire him in early 2016.  Then we'll get to start the rebuilding process all over.  (This goes for taking Teddy, and Teddy not working out as well, but Teddy is certainly a better shot than either of them)

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not me.  Anyone who passes on White or LT or another dominant pass rusher is foolish.   If I follow BAP not need.   I take Clowney and not even close.   Bridgewater is exceptionally good.   But nothing i have seen made me say wow! 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

The more this season pans out, the more I think we would be foolish not to take Clowney.

Quote:Not me. Anyone who passes on White or LT or another dominant pass rusher is foolish. If I follow BAP not need. I take Clowney and not even close. Bridgewater is exceptionally good. But nothing i have seen made me say wow!

Someone with a lick of sense! Thank you sir!

Quote:The more this season pans out, the more I think we would be foolish not to take Clowney.
Watching another lackluster Bridgewater performance will do that to you. CLOWNEY IS balling on one leg. While Bridgewater can't put away yet another weak opponent. 

Quote:Not me.  Anyone who passes on White or LT or another dominant pass rusher is foolish.   If I follow BAP not need.   I take Clowney and not even close.   Bridgewater is exceptionally good.   But nothing i have seen made me say wow! 

Clowney won't have close to Reggie White's numbers given how he takes plays off.  

BAP is a myth.  There's no such thing as BAP.  You don't know who's going to be the Best player in the draft.  I'm an advocate of BIP - Biggest Impact Player.  Teddy will have a bigger impact on this team than Clowney.  

If there is even 1% doubt that TB isn't the guy, they need to go Clowney and trade back up to get whomever they have their eye on.

Clowney makes Caldwells picks of Gratz and Evans look that much better too.

JJ Watt has put together the two best defensive seasons OF ALL TIME, better than anything LT or Reggie White ever did. How's that working out for Houston? Oh they're fixing to pick top 5?

It's all about the QB. 

Quote:JJ Watt has put together the two best defensive seasons OF ALL TIME, better than anything LT or Reggie White ever did. How's that working out for Houston? Oh they're fixing to pick top 5?

It's all about the QB. 
it is, but this isn't a 1 year fix.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 11:54 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:If there is even 1% doubt that TB isn't the guy, they need to go Clowney and trade back up to get whomever they have their eye on.
If there is even 1% more doubt for the guy you can get by trading up, you take Teddy.

Caldwell isn't going to be judged on how many sacks this team has next year.  He's going to be judged on the Quarterback.  That's who he's going to be tied to.  That's who Khan's going to look at and say "Is this the guy that should be my General Manager?"

You take Clowney, and you get the wrong Quarterback?  It's not going to matter that Clowney is amazing. (That's making the assumption that Clowney IS amazing.  Just because he's being touted as the next Reggie White, doesn't mean he's going to be(

Anyway, I am done worrying about who is going to outtank who because I believe the top 2 picks are can't miss prospects at premium positions

I hope the Jags take Bridgewater.. I've never been high on that guy.  I don't like his release (a little slow).. he doesn't have exceptional arm strength, doesn't posses great athleticism at the position, and he's played in a crap offense so there's not a lot of tape on him dominating big programs.

I don't think he's a #1 ovrl prospect and I think there's much more intriguing prospects in this draft.  Bridgewater is a smart QB who does a lot of things well, but doesn't really do anything that's special.  I think he'll be a serviceable NFL starter and I think he has a high floor, but I don't think there's a lot of room between that floor and his ceiling.  He's not a #1 ovrl caliber prospect to me... even if he ends up going there.  If the Jags were smart, they could get a special player early in the first and still get a comparable QB in the 2nd round.  You don't need to reach for a QB in this draft.. there is great depth, just not a great slam dunk franchise player at the position.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 12:10 AM by Trindon Holliday.)

Quote:JJ Watt has put together the two best defensive seasons OF ALL TIME, better than anything LT or Reggie White ever did. How's that working out for Houston? Oh they're fixing to pick top 5?

It's all about the QB. 

It's working great for Houston so I really don't get your point here.  Yes you need a QB.. NO DUH, but you also need other special players to win a title.  J.J. Watt is a stud and will be part of the solution. He almost single handedly won the game last week.  J.J. Watt is "working out" for Houston.. they just need other players that work too as a NFL team consists of a 53 man roster.  The QB position hasn't even been the problem recently.. the kicking game has been the biggest problem so by your argument should've the Texans taken a kicker over J.J. Watt? Rolleyes

Yes a QB has the biggest impact on your team, but Manning (one of the greatest ever) never won until his defense became the best defense in the playoffs that year and even though he won SB MVP... he was NOT the best player in that game.. the defense and running game was why they won.  Tom Brady hasn't won a title since all the great defensive talent got old and retired.. Eli Manning beat him thanks to their great Dline.. and it's funny you bring up Reggie White, the Packers couldn't get over the hump and didn't win a title until they signed him in FA and LT was one of the main reasons why the Giants won as well.  It takes a team to win, so if you get a chance to draft a once in a generation DE over a QB who might just be run of the mil.. you go with the once in a generation DE.. you can get a average starter any year if you want to.

Quote:It's working great for Houston so I really don't get your point here.  Yes you need a QB.. NO DUH, but you also need other special players to win a title.  J.J. Watt is a stud and will be part of the solution. He almost single handedly won the game last week.  J.J. Watt is "working out" for Houston.. they just need other players that work too as a NFL team consists of a 53 man roster.  The QB position hasn't even been the problem recently.. the kicking game has been the biggest problem so by your argument should've the Texans taken a kicker over J.J. Watt? Rolleyes
It means if you don't have a QB then acquiring a franchise QB become your teams obsession. It means if a QB and any other position are graded even remotely close to the same (which no matter how much you love Clowney you have to admit they're at least remotely close...and in actuality they're even at worst) you are compelled to take the QB.

It's all about the QB. 

If everything is close to equal,   I agree that QB should be the # 1 priority for any team that has a need at that position.  

In the case of J.J. Watt though,  while Houston is having a bad season this year,   Watt was a differential factor in the Texans winning the AFC South two years in a row and winning two playoff games in that time span.  Before Watt came to the Texans,  they never even reached the playoffs.

Even teams will high caliber QB's have down seasons.  The Atlanta Falcons come to mind this season.  Matt Ryan was a difference maker for the Falcons in that franchise reaching the playoffs 4 times in his first 5 seasons and the NFC Title game this past season.   Yet this season,   Ryan hasn't been able to overcome the numerous injuries the team has suffered,  along with the Falcons not going into the season with enough pass rush options.

The bottom line is the Jaguars need a QB to be a foundation piece.   Yet  if for discussion sake the Jaguars brass rates Jadeveon Clowney noticeably higher than any of the QB's in the 2014 Draft and Clowney passes the team character test,   it would be difficult to pass up Clowney if they don't trade down.  

Quote: 

Even teams will high caliber QB's have down seasons.  The Atlanta Falcons come to mind this season.  Matt Ryan was a difference maker for the Falcons in that franchise reaching the playoffs 4 times in his first 5 seasons and the NFC Title game this past season.   Yet this season,   Ryan hasn't been able to overcome the numerous injuries the team has suffered,  along with the Falcons not going into the season with enough pass rush options.

You make good points, but this one might be askew. I think the book is still being written on Ryan. He was quite good when throwing to three hall of fame talents. Without Roddy and Julio and Tony G another year older he is looking like the game manager type that most teams pegged him as coming into the draft. 

But yes I agree with your first point and that's what I was said in my next post...if everything is close to equal. I don't see how anyone can say that Teddy is not at least close to equal to Clowney. 

Also, yes, to me Mariota is very much still 'close enough' to Clowney that I would take him at #2 if somehow we are on the clock and Teddy is gone. Without a doubt.

Quote:You make good points, but this one might be askew. I think the book is still being written on Ryan. He was quite good when throwing to three hall of fame talents. Without Roddy and Julio and Tony G another year older he is looking like the game manager type that most teams pegged him as coming into the draft. 

But yes I agree with your first point and that's what I was said in my next post...if everything is close to equal. I don't see how anyone can say that Teddy is not at least close to equal to Clowney. 

Thanks.

The question that jumps out that we probably will never know the answer to is could any QB overcome the loss of Julio Jones,  Roddy White being limited at best practically all season,  the loss of LT Sam Baker,  and Steven Jackson being sidelined a good portion of the season?   This on top of the injuries and personnel issues on the Defensive Side of the ball.   

As much adversity as Tom Brady has had around him this season in New England,  the way the Falcons were constructed,  it seems like Matt Ryan has faced noticeably more hurdles than even Brady.  It's realistically possible that Ryan can only win consistently with teams that have above average or better personnel.    I probably rate him as a top 10 QB,  yet can understand the other point of view.   But how many QB's that have played over the years could win if they were the QB of the 2013 Falcons?    My guess is it would be a very low number at most.

If Teddy Bridgewater continues on his current path,  you could easily be proven correct.   I'm certainly looking forward to watching Teddy on the NFL level against the high level competition he will be facing weekly.

Quote:It means if you don't have a QB then acquiring a franchise QB become your teams obsession. It means if a QB and any other position are graded even remotely close to the same (which no matter how much you love Clowney you have to admit they're at least remotely close...and in actuality they're even at worst) you are compelled to take the QB.

So who should've Houston taken over Watt?  I think the pick has worked out great for them.

Reaching for a QB just for sake of needing a QB is exactly how you end up drafting Blaine Gabbert over a J.J. Watt.

And I don't think Bridgewater and Clowney are close in talent or close NFL prospects..  I do however feel Bridewater is close to other QBs in this draft, some of which can be picked up after the first round.  You aren't going to get a prospect with Clowney's abilities in other rounds.  Just because you need a QB, doesn't mean you have to take one #1 ovrl.. especially in this draft.  In this draft you can have your cake (good QB prospect) and eat it too (Clowney).  You don't need to force the issue in this draft.