Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

"How bout we pick the franchise qb and get a de in the second round...because I just don't see that much of a drop off from the first round de's and the second rounders.....oh...and the de must play for an SEC school or the competition he faced isn't valid....."

Yup...sounds stupid any way you twist it......
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Again, why is this still a thread? Clowney will never be drafted over Bridgewater if the Jaguars have the opportunity to choose between them. It's not a debate.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 11:49 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Teddy has not been very convincing his last few games that he is a once in a generation QB worthy of the #1 pick.

Clowney changes other teams offensive game plans and makes the entire defense better as a whole.

This isn't a 1 year fix.

Charlie Strong is really reminding me of whoever the OC for the Steelers and Colts. 

You have a dominant QB but you would rather run it twice and set up an obvious passing situation in 3rd and long. 

In the second half Teddy barely threw it on any play other than 3rd and 7+ 

Quote:Charlie Strong is really reminding me of whoever the OC for the Steelers and Colts. 

You have a dominant QB but you would rather run it twice and set up an obvious passing situation in 3rd and long. 

In the second half Teddy barely threw it on any play other than 3rd and 7+ 

I didn't quite understand that either. Maybe Strong is trying to compromise Teddy's draft position so he stays another year.

Quote:I'm not comparing McCarron to Tom Brady here.. just their situations and how they were overlooked coming out of college.  All Brady did at Michigan was win and play great in big games.. for whatever reason scouts didn't take notice and he went in the 6th round.  While McCarron won't fall that far, I don't understand why he doesn't get more pub or isn't held in a higher regard.  He has played great during his college career, in the toughest conference in the country (he's already facing the guys he'll face on Sunday) coming up big in big games, and has won 2 national championships.  His numbers have been great, but he's not putting up the eye popping #s other QBs do, because of the system he plays in (ball control) under Saben.

This draft is deep at the QB position, but there is no slam dunk #1 ovrl or even top 5 QB.  There's a bunch of promising QBs that stretch deep into the second round and possibly beyond and I don't see a great difference between a lot of them. If you need a QB in this draft.. you don't have to force the issue, just let the draft come to you.  I'd take Clowney 1st and grab one of the other QBs in the 2nd.  I'm just not as high on Bridgewater as other people on this board are.  Like I said, he's smart and will probably have a decent career (which is what I can say about a handful of other QBs in this draft), but he doesn't wow me and he certainly isn't close to being the prospect that Stafford was.

McCarron?  Really?  I wouldn't want McCarron until the 4th round at the very earliest.  I think his ceiling is game manager.  In college he benefits from playing for the most talented team in college football.  

I still disagree that this draft is QB deep.  People said that about the 11' draft too.  Honestly, Cam Newton's about the only QB I'd consider taking.  Maybe Andy Dalton if I had AJ Green.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:McCarron?  Really?  I wouldn't want McCarron until the 4th round at the very earliest.  I think his ceiling is game manager.  In college he benefits from playing for the most talented team in college football.  

I still disagree that this draft is QB deep.  People said that about the 11' draft too.  Honestly, Cam Newton's about the only QB I'd consider taking.  Maybe Andy Dalton if I had AJ Green.  
Game manager?? Try opening your eyes and losing your Bridgewater tunnel vision.

Quote:Game manager?? Try opening your eyes and losing your Bridgewater tunnel vision.

Sorry, but..

1. McCarron is a game manager

2. You have a huge picture of his butt in your signature, so clearly aren't thinking straight.

Quote:Sorry, but..

1. McCarron is a game manager

2. You have a huge picture of his butt in your signature, so clearly aren't thinking straight.
Bama fan for 32 years and dont miss a game, and he's far from a "game manager"! And the fact that you noticed the butt makes me wonder who's not thinking straight!

Quote:Bama fan for 32 years and dont miss a game, and he's far from a "game manager"! And the fact that you noticed the butt makes me wonder who's not thinking straight!

Which means you are biased, and of course going to support McCarron.  Take of your Crimson Shades.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Bama fan for 32 years and dont miss a game, and he's far from a "game manager"! And the fact that you noticed the butt makes me wonder who's not thinking straight!

Kind of hard not to.

Don't get me wrong. He will make a team VERY happy as a career backup in the 4th round.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 01:41 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:Teddy has not been very convincing his last few games that he is a once in a generation QB worthy of the #1 pick.

Clowney changes other teams offensive game plans and makes the entire defense better as a whole.

This isn't a 1 year fix.

"Once in a generation" is a ridiculous superlative. It doesn't exist. Andrew Luck is in Aaron Rodgers' "generation". Brett Favre spanned multiple generations of quarterbacks. Elway and Marino were in the same draft class.

The Jaguars aren't a one-year fix, but Caldwell and Bradley obviously need their quarterback or they'll be gone with another 1-3 win season in 2014 that doesn't include the face of the franchise already in uniform. Great quarterbacks change the other team's game plan a hell of a lot more than a single pass-rusher. Clowney doesn't possess a Lawrence Taylor-esque impact on the field, and that won't change no matter how many times ESPN shows you the video of him blowing up a 5'8 tailback after going unchecked off the line. He almost certainly won't be better than JJ Watt, either, and you wouldn't take Watt over a bonafide franchise QB prospect when you're a 1-15 team.

Quote:Teddy has not been very convincing his last few games that he is a once in a generation QB worthy of the #1 pick.

This isn't a 1 year fix.
Easy to not look convincing when every time you drop back there is a man in your face

Please stop with the Clowney dribble, He needs to be surrounded by vets that can light a fire under his butt and motivate him. 

Quote:Easy to not look convincing when every time you drop back there is a man in your face

Please stop with the Clowney dribble, He needs to be surrounded by vets that can light a fire under his butt and motivate him. 
Seems he could have easily quit after his injury last night. He didn't.

At least give credit where it is due when you are stating your agenda.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 02:05 PM by J-Mizzal.)

This isn't a 1 year fix.
He doesnt need to be a once in a generation QB

All he needs to be is a Rodgers, Stafford, Big Ben, Eli Manning, Flacco, M.Ryan, Vick, Mcnair, Rivers 

I'm just naming 1st round pick QBs whos teams were in the playoffs almost every year when they were starters. If your making the playoffs every year, you always have a chance at winning the Super Bowl and thats what I want

As long as he is not a Gabbert, Couch, Cade Mcnown, Harrington or any of those other bust 1st round QBs I will be happy

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 02:06 PM by CSTblank.)

Quote:He doesnt need to be a once in a generation QB

All he needs to be is a Rodgers, Stafford, Big Ben, Eli Manning, Flacco, M.Ryan, Vick, Mcnair.

I'm just naming 1st round pick QBs whos teams were in the playoffs almost every year when they were starters.

As long as he is not a Gabbert, Couch, Cade Mcnown, Harrington or any of those other bust 1st round QBs I will be happy

What did all the successful QBs mentioned above have in common? Stellar defensive play.

Funny how every QB mentioned is having a less than stellar year without a strong defense

(Not including the retired/injured)

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2013, 02:09 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:What did all the successful QBs mentioned above have in common? Stellar defensive play.

Funny how every QB mentioned is having a less than stellar year without a strong defense

(Not including the retired/injured)

Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan, Vick, and McNair had "stellar defensive play" every year? Seriously?

You must've only seen Roethlisberger and Flacco's names on that list.

Quote:Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan, Vick, and McNair had "stellar defensive play" every year? Seriously?

You must've only seen Roethlisberger and Flacco's names on that list.

Ryan used to have a good defense, same with Rodgers. I excluded the retired (McNair) and even philly had a good defense when Vick came back. But seeingn as that doesn't fit into your narrative, I'd expect you to shrug it off.

Quote:Ryan used to have a good defense, same with Rodgers. I excluded the retired (McNair) and even philly had a good defense when Vick came back. But seeingn as that doesn't fit into your narrative, I'd expect you to shrug it off.

Green Bay had one of the worst defenses in the league the year Rodgers carried them to 15-1. The Eagles were ranked 22nd in 2010, the only quality season Vick had in Philly (why would you even include him)? The Falcons were bottom-ten in 2011 and Ryan still got them to the playoffs; he's mostly struggling because he's missing both of his starting wideouts. These are all really bad examples and I hope you can realize that. 

I mean... Stafford? You actually included Stafford in that list? Hilarious. 

Quote:Again, why is this still a thread? Clowney will never be drafted over Bridgewater if the Jaguars have the opportunity to choose between them. It's not a debate.

There's the slight possibility the Jaguars can get one of the first-round billed QBs with the 33rd pick after selecting Clowney.

It's not what I'd do, but I'm not the GM.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.