Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

Quote:He reminds me of Marino in the pocket. 
Yeah, his pocket presence is absolutely impeccable. It's some of the most polished I've ever seen from a college QB.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:What exactly are these questions supposed to reveal?

That the Bengals would do it the same way they did last time. BAP (A.J. Green) in the 1st and then Dalton in the 2nd.

Quote:Matt Schaub and J.J. Watt or Tajh Boyd and Andre Branch?

Matt Schaub and JJ Watt, trade Schaub, draft Teddy.

TEST

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 11:34 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:That the Bengals would do it the same way they did last time. BAP (A.J. Green) in the 1st and then Dalton in the 2nd.

Cool. That's one success story comprised of two players whose successes are completely independent of the prospects that Caldwell will be looking at in the spring. You really need to learn about false equivalence, too.

But just to humor you, do you think Parcells regrets going Long-Henne?

Quote:Cool. That's one success story comprised of two players whose successes are completely independent of the prospects that Caldwell will be looking at in the spring. You really need to learn about false equivalence, too.

But just to humor you, do you think Parcells regrets going Long-Henne?

I'm not saying that you go BAP all of the time. Don't pretend like that's what I'm saying. I'm saying that there are instances where going BAP is the right thing to do. If you think you can get your franchise QB with pick #33, then why not get an elite player at another position at pick #1?

If you think Bridgewater + pick #33 makes you a better team than pick #1 + Morris/Fales/other QBs around late 1st/early 2nd value, then you go that route.

My point is that the draft has a lot of options.

Quote:Teddy reminds me of Donovan McNabb if I were to pick a straight up NFL comp.

Teddy reminds me a lot of Andrew Luck. He has pretty much every trait you look for in a QB and doesn't really have a discernible weakness in terms of ability.

Quote:I'm not saying that you go BAP all of the time. Don't pretend like that's what I'm saying. I'm saying that there are instances where going BAP is the right thing to do. If you think you can get your franchise QB with pick #33, then why not get an elite player at another position at pick #1?

If you think Bridgewater + pick #33 makes you a better team than pick #1 + Morris/Fales/other QBs around late 1st/early 2nd value, then you go that route.

My point is that the draft has a lot of options.

It's very, very rare that a GM thinks a franchise-caliber quarterback will be available at 33, especially in the new CBA where QBs come cheap and aren't cap killers like Bradford. In Cincinnati's case, they clearly weren't enamored with their options at #4 -- Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder -- and I don't blame them one bit for not wanting to trade down and nab one of them. They probably graded Dalton pretty similarly to everyone else.

Bridgewater is a much better prospect than all four of those guys. Caldwell will not be eyeing any second-round talent if he's picking first.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 12:37 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Your first mistake is comparing this class to the Gabbert class. This is a pretty deep QB class and might be one of those "rare years" that GMs like the prospects that will fall to #33.

Somebody should make up a list of teams that:

a. Are probably taking a QB 1st round. (Jaguars, Browns)

b. Possibly taking a QB 1st round. (Chiefs, Eagles)

c. Doubtful to be taking a QB in the 1st round. (Seahawks, Redskins)

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 12:52 AM by BluegrassBrandon.)

I think the gap between Bridgewater and his contemporaries is pretty large. The fact that it's a deep class and has a lot of potential franchise quarterbacks doesn't mean that you pass on the best in the bunch (by far, IMO). To be blunt, I think Boyd can be a consistent Pro-Bowler in the NFL, a Matt Ryan-esque ceiling. I believe Bridgewater can be a Hall-of-Famer.

And there is no guarantee that guys like Hundley and Mariota make the jump as third-year sophomores. The class loses a ton of its reputed depth if they decide to duke it out for the number-one pick in 2015.

<b>Probably taking a QB 1st round</b>

Cleveland

Jacksonville

Minnesota

<b>Possibly taking a QB 1st round</b>

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Arizona

Tennessee

A lot of it depends on draft position. All seven of these teams would take Bridgewater as of now if they had the chance to draft him first overall, but the Titans probably ride the Locker project out another year if they're picking in the mid-teens.

Quote:Your first mistake is comparing this class to the Gabbert class. This is a pretty deep QB class and might be one of those "rare years" that GMs like the prospects that will fall to #33.

Somebody should make up a list of teams that:

a. Are probably taking a QB 1st round. (Jaguars, Browns)

b. Possibly taking a QB 1st round. (Chiefs, Eagles)

c. Doubtful to be taking a QB in the 1st round. (Seahawks, Redskins)

Relying on depth can be a mistake.  Would you rather have a game manager and Clowney, or a franchise Quarterback and not Clowney?  

Did anyone think Aaron Rodgers would be a Packer while they had Brett Favre?  You never know what's going to happen.  

And if there's a franchise Quarterback available this year, and you don't draft him, you aren't guaranteed there'll be a good class next year no matter how it looks right now.  Not to mention you aren't guaranteed you'll be in a position to draft him.  Did anyone think Luck would be Manning's suitor?  Bam, injury.  Colts go from an aging but still great Manning, to young on the rise Luck.

If Bridgewater is a Top 10 Active QB, no matter how good Clowney is you'd always wonder... "What if the Jags did take Bridgewater"

Of course if Bridgewater is average, you'll always think "What if the Jags had taken Clowney."  But if Bridgewater is as good as advertised, I doubt people will be wondering "What if we had taken Clowney?"

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Teddy reminds me a lot of Andrew Luck. He has pretty much every trait you look for in a QB and doesn't really have a discernible weakness in terms of ability.

His only flaw really is his smaller body of work. GMs love QBs who show good progress from year to year which Teddy has done. And it's looking like this will be his best season yet.

TEST

Lol. Not McSchwabb. NOT EVEN CLOSE. You can still view some of McNabb's full Syracuse games on YouTube. He completely lacked footwork, especially for the throws on the run where you can evidently see that he always threw off his back foot. His only saving grace on those throws were his cannon arm. On the other hand, McNabb is far more of an athlete than Teddy is; he has a bigger, stronger arm. But doesn't come close to the prospect Teddy I'd right now.

Quote:Teddy reminds me of Donovan McNabb if I were to pick a straight up NFL comp.

That's actually a really good comparison.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

i see more of aaron rodgers in teddy than any qb in the league right now. but right now im still on the clowney train.

Quote:i see more of aaron rodgers in teddy than any qb in the league right now. but right now im still on the clowney train.

Where does that train go?....to the hospital? 

Sorry. but I don't want to be spending my top pick on a potential medical reject, particularly when a franchise QB (that could be on par with Luck) will be in the same draft. 

Quote:Where does that train go?....to the hospital? 

Sorry. but I don't want to be spending my top pick on a potential medical reject, particularly when a franchise QB (that could be on par with Luck) will be in the same draft. 
lol everyone is susceptible to an injury. taking clowney first and a qb in the second yields more value than teddy+a de in the 2nd.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 08:34 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:lol everyone is susceptible to an injury. taking clowney first and a qb in the second yields more value than teddy+a de in the 2nd.

How are you calculating your value? A franchise quarterback is far more valuable than an All-Pro defensive end, but Caldwell could trade the pick for one of the greatest returns in history if he really wanted value.

This obviously won't happen, though. Clowney has zero chance of going first overall in this draft.

Quote:How are you calculating your value? A franchise quarterback is far more valuable than an All-Pro defensive end, but Caldwell could trade the pick for one of the greatest returns in history if he really wanted value.

This obviously won't happen, though. Clowney has zero chance of going first overall in this draft.
the dropoff from teddy to a 2nd round qb like murray/carr/fales is way less than the dropoff from clowney to the best available de in the 2nd round.

zero chance? because you can see into the future?  :mellow:

Quote:lol everyone is susceptible to an injury. taking clowney first and a qb in the second yields more value than teddy+a de in the 2nd.

no, meaning Clowney is going to need surgery at seasons end...on his foot no less....Feet are pretty important to a DE. He wouldn't exactly be starting off on the right foot of his NFL career, yeah pun intended...

Quote:no, meaning Clowney is going to need surgery at seasons end...on his foot no less....Feet are pretty important to a DE. He wouldn't exactly be starting off on the right foot of his NFL career, yeah pun intended...
dude youre making it seem like his injury is career threatening. i mean hes gonna play with it throughout the whole season.