Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official 2016 Free Agency Thread***

Quote:Last offseason? Sure. Now? If we'd have traded for Murray I'd be pretty worried that Caldwell didn't know what he was going. I'd rather have Yeldon.

Even with Yeldon, I would gladly give away a 5th or 6th round pick for Murray.

For a 4th or more, I wouldn't. 

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Even with Yeldon, I would gladly give away a 5th or 6th round pick for Murray.

Ehh, no thanks. Stacking up on running backs in 2016 is not a good way to win.

Aging running back with lots of miles? Lol Titans going backwards.

Quote:Never expected the Jags to make a run at a TE. We drafted one last year, we're resigning Lewis and have one of the best pass catching TE's in the league. Harbor is a pretty decent 3rd TE too.

I figured Allen could slide into the the second starting spot and Lewis could become our third TE. Also Harbor is an unrestricted free agent.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2016, 08:52 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:Even with Yeldon, I would gladly give away a 5th or 6th round pick for Murray.

lol,  that big money for a aging RB can be better spent else where and you dont have to give up a pick. 

Quote:Ehh, no thanks. Stacking up on running backs in 2016 is not a good way to win.
Well, tell that to Dave Caldwell.

He's used a 2nd round pick, a 5th round pick, a 7th round pick, and has signed a free agent for a pretty big deal since he came here.

He also tried to sign Murray last year.  Despite all the talk, he obviously thinks having good running backs is very important and he is aggressive.  

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:lol,  that big money for a aging RB can be better spent else where and you dont have to give up a pick. 

"Big money" doesn't matter to me.  It shouldn't to the Jags either.  We have the most cap space in NFL history.  I'd rather have Murray at 8m/year than Toby at whatever he is getting (and he gets paid pretty well btw).

Quote:Well, tell that to Dave Caldwell.

He's used a 2nd round pick, a 5th round pick, a 7th round pick, and has signed a free agent for a pretty big deal since he came here.

He also tried to sign Murray last year.  Despite all the talk, he obviously thinks having good running backs is very important and he is aggressive.  
I think having a very good running back is nice, but you don't need 2 or 3 of them. Get one feature back and a couple of serviceable backups. You don't give up draft picks for a 29 year old a year after picking your feature back in the 2nd round.

Quote:I think having a very good running back is nice, but you don't need 2 or 3 of them. Get one feature back and a couple of serviceable backups. You don't give up draft picks for a 29 year old a year after picking your feature back in the 2nd round.
Yeah, wouldnt of been a smart move on Dave's part on top of the big cap hit. 

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2016, 08:59 PM by BritishJag.)

Quote:"Big money" doesn't matter to me.  It shouldn't to the Jags either.  We have the most cap space in NFL history.  I'd rather have Murray at 8m/year than Toby at whatever he is getting (and he gets paid pretty well btw).
Of course it matters. Caldwell has spent his first 3 years building an excellent cap for us (best in the league including almost no dead money compared to the $39m dead money we had in 2013), why would he just throw around money at will for backups?

Sign players in positions of need, save the rest for next year. We're going to have some excellent young players that need new contracts in the coming years. Caldwell is putting us in a position so we can get the players we want when the time comes instead of being like other teams who have to cut and trade away talent because they've got no cap and a big chunk of dead money from bad signings and contracts.

Quote:Of course it matters. Caldwell has spent his first 3 years building an excellent cap for us (best in the league including almost no dead money compared to the $39m dead money we had in 2013), why would he just throw around money at will for backups?

Sign players in positions of need, save the rest for next year. We're going to have some excellent young players that need new contracts in the coming years. Caldwell is putting us in a position so we can get the players we want when the time comes instead of being like other teams who have to cut and trade away talent because they've got no cap and a big chunk of dead money from bad signings and contracts.
On top of that giving away a draft pick, one we could use to move up in the draft and get a stud in the 2nd or 3rd like Dave is known to do

Quote:Of course it matters. Caldwell has spent his first 3 years building an excellent cap for us (best in the league including almost no dead money compared to the $39m dead money we had in 2013), why would he just throw around money at will for backups?

Sign players in positions of need, save the rest for next year. We're going to have some excellent young players that need new contracts in the coming years.

running back in my opinion is still a need.

we have no good backups.  I would be OK with us drafting another RB.  Question is, do we think a RB from say, the 5th round will be a better player than DeMarco Murray?  I don't.

We can agree to disagree.  I am all for signing good players.  Being frugal and "building through the draft" is fine and dandy but its time to win.  The time is NOW.  Not next year, not in 2017.  

I say get as many good players as you can to compliment what we have.  

I call it a win for us if we land Malik Jackson and Bruce Irvin. Cardinals are going after Irvin as their top target. Also sign a offensive of linemen and maybe a FS or CB. Looks like we aren't linked to any defensive backs?

Quote:many jags fans will downplay demarco murray but the reality is that most of us would've been happy if he landed in Jacksonville.

let's see what the Jags do. We have to do something.

Exactly lol.

If we wanted to give big money to a RB I would rather just sign Doug Martin.  Just came off the best season of his career 2nd in the league in rushing behind an average oline plus dont have to give up a draft pick

Quote:I call it a win for us if we land Malik Jackson and Bruce Irvin. Cardinals are going after Irvin as their top target. Also sign a offensive of linemen and maybe a FS or CB. Looks like we aren't linked to any defensive backs?

Not many teams have been. Just the first day.

Quote:If we wanted to give big money to a RB I would rather just sign Doug Martin. Just came off the best season of his career 2nd in the league in rushing behind an average oline plus dont have to give up a draft pick

Exactly. Maybe the tacks should've done this instead and keep the draft pick.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Would be crazy if we get all of Irvin, Jackson, and Vernon.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:Would be crazy if we get all of Irvin, Jackson, and Vernon.
I think it would be crazy if we get 2 of the 3

Quote:running back in my opinion is still a need.

we have no good backups. I would be OK with us drafting another RB. Question is, do we think a RB from say, the 5th round will be a better player than DeMarco Murray? I don't.

We can agree to disagree. I am all for signing good players. Being frugal and "building through the draft" is fine and dandy but its time to win. The time is NOW. Not next year, not in 2017.

I say get as many good players as you can to compliment what we have.

Demarco Murray would have been a malignant cancer if he had been traded to Jax to be a backup. Find a young stallion in the draft.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway