Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official 2016 Free Agency Thread***

Quote:Smith is 28, if you're worried about getting a CB that's 28... dang. 

I wanted Jenkins to come here so bad but I never saw Jacksonville rumored to get him, just LA/Oakland and now NYG. Feelsbadman. 

I'll take Smith runner up in a heartbeat though. 

Really really hurts seeing Oakland's name pop up all over the place being as that last year was the first year they did decent, much like us. Especially since JDR coached here before. 
29 before the season starts though. A year, maybe two, before he's on the downslide. Hayward could/should be getting even better at his age. I'll take two years and a profile that should age more gracefully personally, but it's really more than fine either way. I'd be very happy with Smith, just slightly moreso with Hayward.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

NYG and TB are going to give us serious competition for Vernon.

Quote:NYG and TB are going to give us serious competition for Vernon.

Not worried about Tampa really. NYG will give us issues though
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

@Rand_Getlin I’m told WR Travis Benjamin plans to sign with the #Chargers when the market officially opens tomorrow. San Diego gets a dangerous weapon.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2016, 08:48 AM by D6.)

Quote:How good really is Hayward? I haven't seen him play too much since he left Vandy

As someone who sees around 10 Packers games a season,   my impression is Casey Hayward is a versatile CB who does practically everything well.   Hayward doesn't jump out as much as Packers CB Sam Shields for instance but Hayward seems noticeably more consistent.   At least from my perspective,  I think he's a good # 2 CB,  who can provide move inside in nickel / dime situations.

Quote:@Rand_Getlin I’m told WR Travis Benjamin plans to sign with the #Chargers when the market officially opens tomorrow. San Diego gets a dangerous weapon.

Apparently,  the Falcons and Texans also have shown interest in Travis Benjamin:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-benjamin/

Quote:@Rand_Getlin I’m told WR Travis Benjamin plans to sign with the #Chargers when the market officially opens tomorrow. San Diego gets a dangerous weapon.

I have no idea why the Browns are letting him walk, they have all kinds of cap space and no playmakers, Benjamin is a nice player with some Desean Jackson like ability. Nice pickup for San Diego, there isn't any speed on that offense.

Quote:I have no idea why the Browns are letting him walk, they have all kinds of cap space and no playmakers, Benjamin is a nice player with some Desean Jackson like ability. Nice pickup for San Diego, there isn't any speed on that offense.

The Browns are notorious cheapskates.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I have no idea why the Browns are letting him walk, they have all kinds of cap space and no playmakers, Benjamin is a nice player with some Desean Jackson like ability. Nice pickup for San Diego, there isn't any speed on that offense.

I'm getting the impression that the Browns want to sign a number of Bengals FAs,  including WR Marvin Jones.  

Tweet from Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) - For the #Jaguars and RB Chris Ivory, it's a 5-year deal that's well north of $6M per year.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/707551736630796288
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:OVER 6 MILL PER YEAR?!?!?!?! I do not understand this what so ever and completely think it is an awful deal

If you need an upgrade, you have to pay for it. Leave the financials to the jags brass and just be happy we're going after the bigger fish instead of the jean smiff specials.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I have a feeling he won't see the end of that contract. It's most likely front loaded.

Love the Ivory signing. Brings true physicality to our running game. Perfect compliment to Yeldon.

We still need a G or C to solidify our interior, but we are on our way to solidifying our entire offense.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:I have a feeling he won't see the end of that contract. It's most likely front loaded.
First 2 years guaranteed and then if it doesn't work out, cut him and have zero dead money.

Quote:If you need an upgrade, you have to pay for it. Leave the financials to the jags brass and just be happy we're going after the bigger fish instead of the jean smiff specials.

After the Jags lost out on Demarco Murray last year,  I don't think Dave Caldwell was going to let something similar happen this year if at all possible. 

@Rand_Getlin On JR Sweezy there are over half a dozen teams still in the mix for him. One intriguing team team to pay attention to here? The #Broncos.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2016, 09:07 AM by Ordar.)

This may come as a shock to people, but in free agency when you're competing against other teams, you may need to overpay to get the players you want.

Crazy revelation I know.....

And that boys and girls, is why you build through the draft and suppliment from FA and not the opposite. (see Dolphins, Eagles)

Quote:I have a feeling he won't see the end of that contract. It's most likely front loaded.

Exactly. How much is guaranteed? Plus, he is worth the money, IMO. You need two really good RBs.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:  After the Jags lost out on Demarco Murray last year,  I don't think Dave Caldwell was going to let something similar happen this year if at all possible. 
But since then we used extensive draft capital for a RB with a very early 2nd rounder. Now on top of that we pay a backup/goalline RB top 10 money? Pretty exorbitant. 

My guess is most UFAs that sign a 5 year contract don't see the entire contract.   That much more at the RB position.   Because of Chris Ivory's running style,  he probably won't see the entire contract.   But in the next 3 years or so,  he should give the team a differential power running dimension.