Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official 2016 Free Agency Thread***

Quote:Is it that hard to envision at least mild disappointment in the Jaguars not getting a pass rusher?

It's slightly disappointing but I'm glad Dave didn't mortgage the future away to Trump that Vernon contract.

We have a ton of young talent that we are going to need that money for.

On top of that, Fowler is supposed to be our pass rush centerpiece. As long as Fowler works out and stays healthy, we won't miss Vernon anyway.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Is it that hard to envision at least mild disappointment in the Jaguars not getting a pass rusher?
Malik Jackson may not be an edge rusher... but he is a pass rusher....

Also... free agency isn't over.

Quote:Sure....

The Broncos have yet to replace some pieces lost... but that D will still be stellar. Bring in Kap at QB, and they are contenders again.

My point was that there are plenty of good uses for free agency, and steering clear doesn't guarantee any more or less than buying in big on FA.

It's how the GM works it all, including drafts, that makes a team.

At this point, I'd take 4 really good years, including a SB victory, and then having to start over again.

Would be so worth it after the last 8 seasons.

So signing Jackson, Ivory, and Gipson, and offering a record setting deal to Vernon is steering clear of free agency?

Quote:Sure....

The Broncos have yet to replace some pieces lost... but that D will still be stellar. Bring in Kap at QB, and they are contenders again.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh idk about that man. I think they'll be on but the QB market is really bad. Kaep is terrible. So is rg3. I think the speculation of Sam Bradford might be their best option if philly is even open to trading him.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Malik Jackson may not be an edge rusher... but he is a pass rusher....

Also... free agency isn't over.

Malik jackson to me is a safer, maybe slightly less talented version of what Robert nkemdiche would be in the NFL.

And I think nkemdiche would be a fantastic addition to any team (character issues not considered.)

Quote:For what it's worth, I live in NY. I hate NYC. I don't hate other big cities. I love philly, and I like Jacksonville.

It's different for everyone. Vernon was used to Florida life and wanted to try something new. Good for him, I hope he likes it. He saved us a lot of money. As much of a nice addition he would have been, that contract was ludicrous.

I live in Rochester and I too cant stand the city. But as far as missing out on Vernon, it could be a blessing in the long run if it forces us to draft a pass rusher who developes into a great player. Last year we made out in not signing Cobb. Saw the emergence of The Allens.

Sometimes the best moves in free agency are the moves you dont make.

I do feel disappointment in not pursuing Irvin, however.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Is it me or does Brad Nortman look like the bad guy from gone in 60 seconds?
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:Mild disappointment is a completely normal feeling!  A pass rusher would have been fantastic, and gone a long ways to towards suring up our defense.  But it didn't happen.  Dave chose his targets, and assigned a fiscal cap that he would not surpass.  Even throwing everything at Vernon, he choose NYC.  This whole "we suck and are a flaming dumpster fire" is not an appropriate response to day 1 of the new league year.
A reasonable take.

But attacking those who feel mild disappointment as "one of those fans" isn't.

Certainly the Jaguars themselves have to be at least a little disappointed they didn't land Vernon.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:A reasonable take.

Certainly the Jaguars themselves have to be at least a little disappointed they didn't land Vernon.

I merely asked how the Bronocs were looking now, after their Superbowl victory.

They have already lost 2 defensive starters and both quarterback.  Are they in shambles?  No not at all.  But they are no longer a division favorite, let alone a conference favorite.

God bless olivier man im so happy he skipped out on us

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016, 11:56 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:A reasonable take.

I'm disappointed but what can you do? They set a maximum that they were willing to spend. The money lined up with the Giants but he chose the big city over Jax. Nothing more could have been done. Move on to your next guy.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Is CB not a position that everyone could agree we could use a upgrade on?

It's not what WE think that matters, is it?

If they don't go for somebody they can't 'miss out on them'.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:God bless olivier man im so happy he skipped out on us
I can't even imagine what Von Miller is going to get.....

Quote:I live in Rochester and I too cant stand the city. But as far as missing out on Vernon, it could be a blessing in the long run if it forces us to draft a pass rusher who developes into a great player. Last year we made out in not signing Cobb. Saw the emergence of The Allens.

What part? I grew up in Henrietta. Really miss it up there.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Is that Jerrad dude banned yet? What a loser! Like even if he is "right" about the Vernon situation, what is the point of being so ridiculously negative? I hope you're reading this moron. WHAT IS THE POINT? Are you satisfied? Huh?

The Jaguars lost a bidding war that made OLIVIER FRICKEN VERNON THE HIGHEST PAID DEFENSIVE END EVER? ARE YOU SURE YOU WANTED OLIVIER VERNON ON THIS TEAM TO BE THE HIGHEST PAID DEFENSIVE END EVER?!?! REALLY BRO?! Loosen the hell up. Go get a girl or something. Sheesh you're ridiculous.

Go Jags Smile

Jerrad's like Ryback when he reads this, FEED ME MORE. FEED ME MORE. FEED ME MOOOOOOOOOREEEEE, IT'S FEEDING TIME.

Quote:I live in Rochester and I too cant stand the city. But as far as missing out on Vernon, it could be a blessing in the long run if it forces us to draft a pass rusher who developes into a great player. Last year we made out in not signing Cobb. Saw the emergence of The Allens.

Good point.  Plenty of times things worked out for us when it didn't appear it wasn't what we wanted.

I don't think we end up with Bortles had Blackmon not had his issues.  We might have won another game or two if his head is on straight, just enough to put us out of range for Bortles. 

TC originally wanted Curtis Enis in 1998 and tried to trade up to get him.  He wasn't able to pull off the deal and stayed at 9 overall (thanks to Buffalo trading for Rob Johnson), the guy we wound up with?  Fred Taylor.

Quote:I'm disappointed but what can you do? They set a maximum that they were willing to spend. The money lined up with the Giants but he chose the big city over Jax. Nothing more could have been done. Move on to your next guy.

Reading the comments after the fact, I'm glad we didn't shell out the big money. I want guys who want to be here and be part of this team, not just guys who want to be here because we are offering the biggest pay check.

Gipson and Malik sounds really genuinely glad to be here. We've had enough free-agents in the past who went here because the money was here.

Tashaun Gipson's 5-year, $36 million deal with #Jaguars includes $12M fully guaranteed. $500K each year tied to per-game active bonuses.

I like what they said on the radio, Robert Ayers with no help had more sacks then Vernon who had some help, and you can get Ayers cheaper while developing Fowler into being your premium pass rusher. 

We can still are gonna land a OTTO and a LEO in the draft i'll take all that over paying Vernon more then JJ Watt 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:I like what they said on the radio, Robert Ayers with no help had more sacks then Vernon who had some help, and you can get Ayers cheaper while developing Fowler into being your premium pass rusher. 

We can still are gonna land a OTTO and a LEO in the draft i'll take all that over paying Vernon more then JJ Watt 
Well. Ayers needs to get out of Miami without a deal first.