Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Official 2016 Free Agency Thread***

Quote:Sure, but when you blow the rest of the league away in money spent you better come away with pieces everyone really likes (and I actually think the Janoris deal is the worst deal of the FA period so far). What the Bears have done with a limited budget is far more impressive to me.

Well all they need to do is win the division which shouldn't be too hard. The bears look to be off to a good start in the Fox era. I dont see them making much noise this year espcially in their divison but if they commit to a rebuild like we are doing they could make a good 5-7 year run in a few years. They gotta get a qb tho.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Giants definitely made good improvement. They might have paid too much for it but they did something.

Quote:You say that with the confidence that you evaluated enough of Flowers last season to know more than two people who independently watched, charted, and graded every single snap Flowers made last year.

Bold. 

Bold like this:

[Image: 29f9um9.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016, 12:07 AM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:You say that with the confidence that you evaluated enough of Flowers last season to know more than two people who independently watched, charted, and graded every single snap Flowers made last year.

Bold. 
Yup, because PFF is a joke. I like reading stuff they write, but what they say about a player is not the end all be all, especially rankings. You taking their word as gospel is honestly laughable. There's a reason why most people think that their grading is a joke. As a Jaguars fan, with how they graded Bortles at times this year during some of his best games, you should know just how [BAD WORD REMOVED] poor their rankings are. Look at that one week where Rodgers balled out and he got some crazy negative stat from them. Their [BAD WORD REMOVED] is all over the place.

I have multiple friends who are die hard Chargers fans. I can tell you for a fact they both think he was very solid last year. He took a step back, but still an average at the very least corner.

I'll admit becuase I saw him do good in the Super Bowl and how the NFL had him rated as the highest Free Agent, I got a bit excited when I had heard that the Jaguars signed Malik Jackson.  After thinking about it I am way more excited about the Gipson signing, and wonder if GM Dave Caldwell overpaid for MJ?

Quote:Yup, because PFF is a joke. I like reading stuff they write, but what they say about a player is not the end all be all, especially rankings. You taking their word as gospel is honestly laughable. There's a reason why most people think that their grading is a joke. As a Jaguars fan, with how they graded Bortles at times this year during some of his best games, you should know just how [BAD WORD REMOVED] poor their rankings are. Look at that one week where Rodgers balled out and he got some crazy negative stat from them. Their [BAD WORD REMOVED] is all over the place.

I have multiple friends who are die hard Chargers fans. I can tell you for a fact they both think he was very solid last year. He took a step back, but still an average at the very least corner.
FIrst of all, no one has ever said their word is gospel...but 90% of the time they have put in 10x the effort doing whatever you are looking up than you could have possibly done yourself. They aren't perfect, but they're pretty close and they're the best we got at the moment. 

They're such a joke that last I knew 22 NFL teams used their date (probably more now, and yes the Jags are one of them), you can't go 10 RW blurbs w/o seeing them referencing PFF, ESPN/virtually every other major sports site mentions their grading or charting info regularly, etc...

Chris Long to visit the Patriots according to reports.

Quote:..but 90% of the time they have put in 10x the effort doing whatever you are looking up than you could have possibly done yourself. 

I can make up numbers too

;

;

Quote:I can make up numbers too
You're right. A full time player who stays relatively healthy will easily top 1,000 snaps...of which PFF watches every single of them twice. Even if you watch every game of a team you aren't specifically watching and grading any certain player every time...maybe whoever winds up touching the ball but that's about it. 

For a cornerback like Flowers the real numbers would be 99%+ of the time they have put in well over 10x the amount of work, even if you're a Chargers fan who watches every game.  

Quote:You're right. A full time player who stays relatively healthy will easily top 1,000 snaps...of which PFF watches every single of them twice. Even if you watch every game of a team you aren't specifically watching and grading any certain player every time...maybe whoever winds up touching the ball but that's about it.

For a cornerback like Flowers the real numbers would be 99%+ of the time they have put in well over 10x the amount of work, even if you're a Chargers fan who watches every game.
I can also take a way to grade players on each snap and grade them accordingly based on certain factors as well. Maybe I need to start my own website and become a pro like PFF.

Sorry but that site is a joke.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:I can also take a way to grade players on each snap and grade them accordingly based on certain factors as well. Maybe I need to start my own website and become a pro like PFF.

Sorry but that site is a joke.
Go for it. Once you've convinced well over half the teams in the league and pretty much all of the major sports websites that your analytics are superior to PFFs then maybe you can put them out of business. 

Quote:Go for it. Once you've convinced well over half the teams in the league and pretty much all of the major sports websites that your analytics are superior to PFFs then maybe you can put them out of business. 

Will his site also be able to change grades overnight after people complain about them?

;

;

Quote:Will his site also be able to change grades overnight after people complain about them?
Well it seems like it would be a lot easier to ask him wouldn't it?

PFF is an analytics tool which shouldn't be discounted for the data it provides, but also shouldn't be gospel truth on how good a player is. It is a tool which can be used to support an argument when evaluating a player. I'm sure Tony Khan uses similar metrics. You always want to see who shows up and who disappears on film, but the PFF stats help paint a more complete picture. For example, they had Beadles as the weak link in the Broncos O Line when we signed him. I would call that accurate. That said, those numbers can miss the mark sometimes.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:PFF is an analytics tool which shouldn't be discounted for the data it provides, but also shouldn't be gospel truth on how good a player is. It is a tool which can be used to support an argument when evaluating a player. I'm sure Tony Khan uses similar metrics. You always want to see who shows up and who disappears on film, but the PFF stats help paint a more complete picture. For example, they had Beadles as the weak link in the Broncos O Line when we signed him. I would call that accurate. That said, those numbers can miss the mark sometimes.

Yep this sums it up pretty accurately

@Rand_Getlin I'm told DE Quinton Coples is visiting the #Rams today.

@AaronWilson_NFL Prince Amukamara one-year Jaguars deal: $5.5 million, $3M gtd, $1.5M signing bonus, salary $3.5M ($1.5M gtd), $31,250 per game active bonus

Nice contract.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Pretty fair deal.  If he stays healthy and plays up to his ability he's going to get paid next year.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016, 10:47 AM by imtheblkranger.)

For what it's worth, I asked Mike Kaye about Dave mentioning trades:

"I think he's just acknowledging the obvious. I asked the question, he didn't sidestep"
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS