Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

Quote:the dropoff from teddy to a 2nd round qb like murray/carr/fales is way less than the dropoff from clowney to the best available de in the 2nd round.

zero chance? because you can see into the future?  :mellow:

But a quarterback's value is weighed a lot differently than a defensive end. 100 dollars is twice as much as 50 dollars, but it's less of a gap than 1,000 dollars and 750 dollars. Matt Ryan is inarguably more valuable to his football team than JJ Watt despite Watt being the best defensive player in football. (And I see a massive difference between Bridgewater and Murray/Carr as prospects, but I guess you have a different grade on the latter two).

And yeah, Clowney doesn't have a shot at going number one. He didn't before the injury concerns. Too many quarterback starved teams that will be competing for the first pick, and I think Bridgewater will likely be viewed as the third-best QB prospect in the last 15 years. No one passes that up for a mere pass rusher.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:But a quarterback's value is weighed a lot differently than a defensive end. 100 dollars is twice as much as 50 dollars, but it's less of a gap than 1,000 dollars and 750 dollars. Matt Ryan is inarguably more valuable to his football team than JJ Watt despite Watt being the best defensive player in football. (And I see a massive difference between Bridgewater and Murray/Carr as prospects, but I guess you have a different grade on the latter two).

And yeah, Clowney doesn't have a shot at going number one. He didn't before the injury concerns. Too many quarterback starved teams that will be competing for the first pick, and I think Bridgewater will likely be viewed as the third-best QB prospect in the last 15 years. No one passes that up for a mere pass rusher.
im not denying that qbs are more valuable. but imo clowney is the best player in the draft atm, i dont want to reach on a qb like 2011 and then the next pick is jj watt. as for now i dont think teddy is #1 overall worthy. so the value is going for the BAP.

he was the consensus #1 pick before the season started.  i need to see how the season progresses before i put teddy in the ranks of luck and peyton. luck and peyton were the consensus #1 pick before the college season started btw. teddy wasnt.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 09:33 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:im not denying that qbs are more valuable. but imo clowney is the best player in the draft atm, i dont want to reach on a qb like 2011 and then the next pick is jj watt. as for now i dont think teddy is #1 overall worthy. so the value is going for the BAP.

he was the consensus #1 pick before the season started.  i need to see how the season progresses before i put teddy in the ranks of luck and peyton. luck and peyton were the consensus #1 pick before the college season started btw. teddy wasnt.

Well, we're really not going to agree on much if you think Teddy's a "reach" at #1. I think that goes without saying.

It seems you've bought too much into the ESPN hype machine on Clowney, though. He was #1 in the media, but NFL scouts were already overwhelmingly sold on Teddy as the first pick by early September (as evidenced by that Jason La Canfora tweet I've posted a half-dozen times now). They're a lot more in-tune with this stuff and imbedded with their beliefs than the talking heads and general public, so I seriously doubt they all changed their minds after the first week of the season. I think Bridgewater has been the first pick since the Sugar Bowl.

Also, out of curiosity, how many QBs have recently gone into their last season as the consensus number-one pick? Peyton, Luck, Bradford, and I'm having trouble thinking of any others.

Quote:dude youre making it seem like his injury is career threatening. i mean hes gonna play with it throughout the whole season.

Not career "threatening"...but certainly perhaps career "impacting". Could be the difference between "best DE since Bruce Smith" & DE of the level of Tony Brackens for example. Now, Brackens was good, no doubt.....but theres no way I'd be taking Tony Brackens ahead of Teddy Bridgewater....

Look I really don't see the debate here. Look at our performance these past three weeks.

What unit has performed historically bad? And which position in that unit is the most critical in all of sports?

Its our offense and our quarterback. When there is a even in the discussion for being number one based off pure talent value and he fills such a glaring need, the decision is already made.

Teddy Bridgewater 2014.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Quote:Well, we're really not going to agree on much if you think Teddy's a "reach" at #1. I think that goes without saying.

It seems you've bought too much into the ESPN hype machine on Clowney, though. He was #1 in the media, but NFL scouts were already overwhelmingly sold on him as the first pick by early September (as evidenced by that Jason La Canfora tweet I've posted a half-dozen times now). They're a lot more in-tune with this stuff and imbedded with their beliefs than the talking heads and general public, so I seriously doubt they all changed their minds after the first week of the season. I think Bridgewater has been the first pick since the Sugar Bowl.

Also, out of curiosity, how many QBs have recently gone into their last season as the consensus number-one pick? Peyton, Luck, Bradford, and I'm having trouble thinking of any others.

i barely watch espn but i see how you can make that conclusion, teddy is getting the same treatment as of lately due to the average play of clowney and the fact that the worst teams in the nfl currently are in need of qbs. clowney was the best player in college at the end of the season. thats why he was the consensus #1 pick.

Quote:Not career "threatening"...but certainly perhaps career "impacting". Could be the difference between "best DE since Bruce Smith" & DE of the level of Tony Brackens for example. Now, Brackens was good, no doubt.....but theres no way I'd be taking Tony Brackens ahead of Teddy Bridgewater....
we'll see how he performs throughout the season with the injury. the surgery will surely help improve his game if its impacting his performance. if teddy is who you think he is then of course you wouldnt take him over brackens. if teddy ends up becoming an average qb, i'd rather take brackens. 

Quote:we'll see how he performs throughout the season with the injury. the surgery will surely help improve his game if its impacting his performance. if teddy is who you think he is then of course you wouldnt take him over brackens. if teddy ends up becoming an average qb, i'd rather take brackens. 

Having surgery is never a good thing. Meaning there can be adverse effects. Obviously sometimes surgery is the only option...but the point is, I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting Clowney 1st overall over a potential franchise QB when he's coming off of foot surgery of all things. 

Quote:Having surgery is never a good thing. Meaning there can be adverse effects. Obviously sometimes surgery is the only option...but the point is, I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting Clowney 1st overall over a potential franchise QB when he's coming off of foot surgery of all things. 
lol dude stop making his injury seems more serious than it is. 

The question should be. Would you pass on Reggie white or Lawrence Taylor? And if you did what if the titans or Texans grab him.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:He reminds me of Marino in the pocket.

Where with our line would he stay in the pocket?

#Gojags

Our best bet in reality is to pass on both. Trade back for two first round picks. And trade back in 2nd for same or second and third. And call it a day. Grab the best QB avail and surround by top line men.

That what SF did and worked out for them.

#Gojags

Quote:The question should be. Would you pass on Reggie white or Lawrence Taylor? And if you did what if the titans or Texans grab him.

For an Aaron Rodgers, yes.

Why some people dont want the best QB is beyond me. Why settle for less when youre in position to draft the best player at the most important position?

Quote:The question should be. Would you pass on Reggie white or Lawrence Taylor? And if you did what if the titans or Texans grab him.

Would you pass on Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers for anyone? If you're using Clowney's 100% best case scenario ceiling (in which he is very unlikely to meet), might as well use Bridgewater's.

Quote:And yeah, Clowney doesn't have a shot at going number one. He didn't before the injury concerns.

False.

Clowney would have gone first overall last year, too.

"doesn't have a shot"... this has to be some sort of bad joke.

Most prognosticators have him going first overall even after the injury.  At worst, folks have him ranked alongside Teddy as 1a and 1b.  It wasn't so before the injury when Clowney was the head and shoulders consensus.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Why some people dont want the best QB is beyond me. Why settle for less when youre in position to draft the best player at the most important position?

You may be convinced that Teddy is the best QB, but that doesn't mean everyone else is.  The same was said of Blaine Gabbert prior to a very late surge by sCam Newton.  Everyone was convinced Blaine to Carolina until very late in the process.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:You may be convinced that Teddy is the best QB, but that doesn't mean everyone else is.  The same was said of Blaine Gabbert prior to a very late surge by sCam Newton.  Everyone was convinced Blaine to Carolina until very late in the process.

Actually, in Late September of 2010, most had Blaine going anywhere from mid-first to early-second round.  He was very rarely brought up in the #1 overall pick conversation.

It wasn't until late in that particular college football season where a few draft nicks had him slotted as a potential number one pick -- and that was partly due to the lack of elite QB prospects.  Days before the draft, everybody and their mothers knew Cam was going to be the top pick.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:False.

Clowney would have gone first overall last year, too.

"doesn't have a shot"... this has to be some sort of bad joke.

Most prognosticators have him going first overall even after the injury.  At worst, folks have him ranked alongside Teddy as 1a and 1b.  It wasn't so before the injury when Clowney was the head and shoulders consensus.

Bridgewater would have gone above Clowney if they were both eligible for the 2013 draft, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to imply there.

You're talking about projections from bloggers and journalists well over a year before their draft takes place. I don't care about their opinions. NFL scouts have had Bridgewater going first overall for quite some time now, and Clowney has zero shot of going number one in a draft that contains one or multiple franchise quarterback prospects. Zero. Absolutely none. Now factor in that he'll require foot surgery.

Clowney would've gone first in a draft that had EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, and no Teddy Bridgewater, sure. Not what I'm arguing.

Quote:Bridgewater would have gone above Clowney if they were both eligible for the 2013 draft, so I'm not really sure what you're trying to imply there.

You're talking about projections from bloggers and journalists well over a year before their draft takes place. I don't care about their opinions. NFL scouts have had Bridgewater going first overall for quite some time now, and Clowney has zero shot of going number one in a draft that contains one or multiple franchise quarterback prospects. Zero. Absolutely none. Now factor in that he'll require foot surgery.
bahahaha man its nice having nfl scouts as friends