Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clowney vs Bridgewater

Drafting a DE over a QB would set this franchise back 7 years.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Drafting a DE over a QB would set this franchise back 7 years.
that worked out so well when we picked gab over watt

Quote:that worked out so well when we picked gab over watt

Watt isn't going to move the Texans from good to great. Clowney wouldn't even move us from awful to average.

Quote:that worked out so well when we picked gab over watt

If Gabbert had been good, it would've worked just fine. JJ Watt with Luke McCown at QB however probably wouldn't have gotten us any wins at all.  Which would have been preferable, because then we'd have JJ Watt and Andrew Luck.  At least assuming that McCown couldn't beat a terrible Peyton-less Indianapolis team twice.  If he could, and we won just enough games to be outside of RGIII and Luck... 

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Watt isn't going to move the Texans from good to great. Clowney wouldn't even move us from awful to average.

Quote:If Gabbert had been good, it would've worked just fine. JJ Watt with Luke McCown at QB however probably wouldn't have gotten us any wins at all.  Which would have been preferable, because then we'd have JJ Watt and Andrew Luck.  At least assuming that McCown couldn't beat a terrible Peyton-less Indianapolis team twice.  If he could, and we won just enough games to be outside of RGIII and Luck... 
because the only way to upgrade the qb is with the #1 pick? the texans were an above average qb away from a contender last season.  just because we draft clowney doesnt mean we cant also upgrade the qb position. 

Quote:because the only way to upgrade the qb is with the #1 pick? the texans were an above average qb away from a contender last season.  just because we draft clowney doesnt mean we cant also upgrade the qb position. 

Going from Blaine Gabbert to... Geno Smith or Andy Dalton is an upgrade, but it's also not enough of an upgrade to turn the team's fortunes around.  You can upgrade the QB outside of the first round.  But you're also taking a bigger gamble that it won't pan out.  Missing out on a great QB for an Average one is a career killer.

Quote:Watt isn't going to move the Texans from good to great. Clowney wouldn't even move us from awful to average.

It isn't only about the first round pick.

It's about all seven (+) of them, in addition to what you do in free agency.

It is not, was not, and will not be Bridgewater or bust for this franchise.  You can say that about any single player.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Clowney and a franchise QB at pick #33 (basically a 1st rd pick) could immediately make our both our offense (fixed QB situation) and defense (fixed pass rush woes) above average.

But it's your story, write it how you want.

Quote:Clowney and a franchise QB at pick #33 (basically a 1st rd pick) could immediately make our both our offense (fixed QB situation) and defense (fixed pass rush woes) above average.

#33 is a 2nd round pick, not "basically a 1st rd pick".

I will write it how I want. Thank you.

Quote:Clowney and a franchise QB at pick #33 (basically a 1st rd pick) could immediately make our both our offense (fixed QB situation) and defense (fixed pass rush woes) above average.

A Franchise Quarterback, sure.  

But we seem to have different definitions of Franchise Quarterback.  I would not consider Andy Dalton a franchise Quarterback.  Would you?

Quote:Going from Blaine Gabbert to... Geno Smith or Andy Dalton is an upgrade, but it's also not enough of an upgrade to turn the team's fortunes around.  You can upgrade the QB outside of the first round.  But you're also taking a bigger gamble that it won't pan out.  Missing out on a great QB for an Average one is a career killer.
i'd like to be the bengals right now tbh.  

Quote:#33 is a 2nd round pick, not "basically a 1st rd pick".

I will write it how I want. Thank you.

There are a lot of people who believe it is.  Particularly those who feel we should have used our 33 last season on Geno Smith.  Given all the reaches etc. that happen with first round picks, first round talent is available with that pick.  Every year.  That doesn't even consider the fact that the talent pool does not conform to the number 32.  In a bad draft there may not even be 32 players worth a first round grade.  In a good draft, you may find first round talent well into the second round (not just the first pick of the second round.)

So, yes... it can be considered another first round pick.  In fact, most folks do consider it just that.  It's mentioned every year on draft day.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:bahahaha man its nice having nfl scouts as friends

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora'>Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora</a><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/376491724618858496' title="7:46 PM - 7 Sep 13">7 Sep</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(246,246,246);"><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelCBS'>@GreggDoyelCBS</a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS'>@PriscoCBS</a> Bridgewater is 1st overall unless he gets his arm chopped off like Luke Wilson in the street brawl in Anchorman

<p class="" style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(246,246,246);"> 

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelCBS'>Gregg Doyel ‏@GreggDoyelCBS</a><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelCBS/status/376491925156544512' title="7:47 PM - 7 Sep 13">7 Sep</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(246,246,246);"><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora'>@JasonLaCanfora</a> Really Jason? I didn't know that. I swear! I thought Clowney was no-brainer for No. 1 overall.

<p class="" style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(246,246,246);"> 

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora'>Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora</a><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/376492228614840320' title="7:48 PM - 7 Sep 13">7 Sep</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;"><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelCBS'>@GreggDoyelCBS</a> spoke to probably 12 scouts casually during camp tour, and it was like 11-1 for Teddy. could end up a QB/Coach combo deal

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(246,246,246);">Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora7 Sep
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(246,246,246);">@GreggDoyelCBS @PriscoCBS Bridgewater is 1st overall unless he gets his arm chopped off like Luke Wilson in the street brawl in Anchorman

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(246,246,246);"> 

Gregg Doyel ‏@GreggDoyelCBS7 Sep
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(246,246,246);">@JasonLaCanfora Really Jason? I didn't know that. I swear! I thought Clowney was no-brainer for No. 1 overall.

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(246,246,246);"> 

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora7 Sep
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;">@GreggDoyelCBS spoke to probably 12 scouts casually during camp tour, and it was like 11-1 for Teddy. could end up a QB/Coach combo deal

</div>

But...but... ESPN told me Clowney was the consensus number 1 pick preseason!!

Quote:i'd like to be the bengals right now tbh.  

And have a QB who is good enough to win you 11 games but cant carry a team in the playoffs?

They probably have the best roster in the NFL aside from QB though.

One good DE doesn't fix a defensive line with no other talent on it.  

One great QB can be the difference between 0 and 8+ wins. You don't get great QBs in the 2nd round, with Drew Brees being the exception. 

Quote:i'd like to be the bengals right now tbh.  

So I take it then you would take Clowney in round 1, and then if given the offer, trade the second rounder for Andy Dalton?

I realize that you guys are used to Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne, but as someone whose team has Jay Cutler at quarterback, don't settle for just "good". Don't settle for the Andy Daltons of the league when a bonafide stud prospect is there for the taking. I love Jay in a sort of Stockholm Syndrome way, but shoot for an Aaron Rodgers with the first pick if he's there.

Quote:A Franchise Quarterback, sure.  

But we seem to have different definitions of Franchise Quarterback.  I would not consider Andy Dalton a franchise Quarterback.  Would you?

Did you consider Joe Flacco or Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick "Franchise QBs" before last year?

Quote:I realize that you guys are used to Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne, but as someone whose team has Jay Cutler at quarterback, don't settle for just "good". Don't settle for the Andy Daltons of the league when a bonafide stud prospect is there for the taking. I love Jay in a sort of Stockholm Syndrome way, but shoot for an Aaron Rodgers with the first pick if he's there.

Didn't the Bears make a Super Bowl not too long ago?