Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

You can do a LOT worse than Mike Smith
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I imagine if we don't hear who our next HC is next week, it's McDaniels.

While it might not get officially announced, there will probably be plenty of "McDaniels is going to Jax" rumors. I believe a similar thing happened with Doug Pedersen last year. He was still in the playoffs for KC but all reports said he was going to Philly.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I imagine if we don't hear who our next HC is next week, it's McDaniels.
We have no idea. We cant make that assumption, well, I guess you can, but really, I dont think its that black and white. 

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 11:40 PM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:Its time for a offensive minded coach. And his lack of success in the playoffs is troubling.
Offensive minded coach doesn't actually guarantee a good offense

Quote:We need someone whos going to change the culture of this team and i just dont see that in Mike Smith. This team has been pacified so much by Gus, its gonna take alot of work. Coughlin is the best thing for this team.
What? He came into the worst possible environment after Mike Vick's dog debacle and Petrino's whole ordeal and got a winning season with all that around the organization. If anything that's a strength of his.

Quote:Offensive minded coach doesn't actually guarantee a good offense

Not saying it does but its worth a shot. Need something different.

Quote:While it might not get officially announced, there will probably be plenty of "McDaniels is going to Jax" rumors. I believe a similar thing happened with Doug Pedersen last year. He was still in the playoffs for KC but all reports said he was going to Philly.
Also happened with Dan Quinn in SEA before he went to ATL. ATL even got his staff assembled part way while he was still with Seattle.

Quote:Makes sense. PFW reported like a month ago he was the early favorite. Thought we'd go offensive mind but Smith is a damn good candidate. Just get McCoy or another good OC.

The proven record of Mike Smith as an NFL HC and his history with Dave Caldwell could easily be the difference in Smith landing the job.  If it comes down to Mike Smith choosing between the Jaguars and Chargers HC job,   I think he's going to choose the Jaguars HC job.   Smith coached at San Diego St. many decades ago.   Yet,  his connection to Caldwell,  being the Jaguars DC during part of the last decade,  and him being on the East Coast or nearby in his coaching stops for most of his coaching career being factors in choosing the Jaguars.

Mike McCoy probably will be in demand as an OC.    On the surface,  he would be a very good choice for the Jaguars in that role.   Especially,  with a Defensive background coach being named HC.   McCoy's experience as a HC should prove very helpful for a team that hires him as an OC.

McCoy would be a damn good OC hire. One guy inside the TB org. that I could see is their QB coach though. Mike Bajakian has been there since 2015 working with Jameis who has taken some nice steps forward. Not sure if he's ready or not for a bigger role though.

Quote:McCoy would be a damn good OC hire. One guy inside the TB org. that I could see is their QB coach though. Mike Bajakian has been there since 2015 working with Jameis who has taken some nice steps forward. Not sure if he's ready or not for a bigger role though.

Mike Bajakian probably is ready to be an Offensive Coordinator in the NFL.   Combining what you mentioned with Bajakian being an OC at the major college level with both Cincinnati and in the SEC with Tennessee,  at the very least he would be well worth interviewing for the position.    One question that comes to mind is would the Bucs even let him leave for an NFL OC job?

Quote:  Mike Bajakian probably is ready to be an Offensive Coordinator in the NFL.   Combining what you mentioned with Bajakian being an OC at the major college level with both Cincinnati and in the SEC with Tennessee,  at the very least he would be well worth interviewing for the position.    One question that comes to mind is would the Bucs even let him leave for an NFL OC job?
He's a QBC, no? If so, than they can't stop him. It's a step up from his current position.

Quote:What? He came into the worst possible environment after Mike Vick's dog debacle and Petrino's whole ordeal and got a winning season with all that around the organization. If anything that's a strength of his.
Hes not young and theres no clips of him yelling so hes just like Gus

Quote:He's a QBC, no? If so, than they can't stop him. It's a step up from his current position.

The only promotion that can't be blocked in the NFL is for a HC position.   The Bucs have the right to deny permission to the other 31 teams for Mike Bajakian's services as an Offensive Coordinator.

One example of this happening in recent seasons is when the Lions denied the Bears permission to speak with then QB Coach JIm Bob Cooter for the Bears OC position.    

Quote:  The only promotion that can't be blocked in the NFL is for a HC position.   The Bucs have the right to deny permission to the other 31 teams for Mike Bajakian's services as an Offensive Coordinator.

One example of this happening in recent seasons is when the Lions denied the Bears permission to speak with then QB Coach JIm Bob Cooter for the Bears OC position.    
I highly doubt the Bucs org. would do that tbh. I don't think that's a common thing. Most coaches want their coaches to succeed and get to the best situation possible. Look at Bruce Arians petitioning for Harold Goodwin to get a HC job basically, saying "he's ready to do it."

Guess it depends on the coach. Don't see Koetter doing that though.

Quote:to be fair it was a 6th rd pick, Kaepernick doesn't have Gabbert's work ethic, I'm positive Gabbert came in prepared and worked his tail off ever day.

a typical day in the QB room would probably be Gabbert giving Kaep all the answers to the assignments like they were in a high school history class.. Kaep is 6 minutes late, not dressed and asking if they can have the meeting outside.

What makes you think Kap doesn't work hard.

Quote:Starting at the 10:13 mark of the following video,  which you can access on YouTube,  Peter Schrager discusses the Jaguars HC opening.  He's of the opinion that Mike Smith is the most likely candidate to become the next Jaguars HC.   

Mike Francesa with Peter Schrager (Jan. 3, 2017)
Coming back to this, where did you find this/where can I find this?

Smith is a solid choice, but he just doesn't do anything for me. He's never had a great top 10 Defense EVER, he had Ryan, Turner, and a young Rody White, he's always had a talented offense in his time in Atlanta. I would hope Dave would pick him because of his ability to lead NOT that he was a HC previous (although that helps)

Look at Dan Quinn, McAdoo or Gase, or Bill OBrien, Arians, etc

Then look at Hue Jackson, Jeff Fisher, Chip Kelly, Rex Ryan, John Fox...

HC experience imo doesn't matter. Either you have dat special sauce in the moment or you don't.

My vote is still for shanahan or McDaniels

Quote:I highly doubt the Bucs org. would do that tbh. I don't think that's a common thing. Most coaches want their coaches to succeed and get to the best situation possible. Look at Bruce Arians petitioning for Harold Goodwin to get a HC job basically, saying "he's ready to do it."

Guess it depends on the coach. Don't see Koetter doing that though.

It's happened a number of times in the NFL in recent years.  

The Bucs might view Mike Bajakian as their next Offensive Coordinator.   And in the meanwhile,  their most important Offensive Assistant Coach because of the progress that their Franchise QB has made under him.  

In the case of the Cardinals situation,  being that the team couldn't even block Harold Goodwin from becoming a HC even if they wanted to do so,  it's a win-win situation if they promote his credentials to become a HC.    Much like has been the case with Jim Caldwell repeatedly promoting Teryl Austin's credentials.  

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017, 12:27 AM by D6.)

Quote:Coming back to this, where did you find this/where can I find this?

On YouTube. 

I will try to post the link.   If it doesn't work with the way the Forum is now set up,  i will send you the link to the video via a PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9-J8yHrjk&t=614s

As a follow-up,  as I thought,  posting YouTube videos is no longer an option on the actual Message Board.  Hopefully,  it works with a PM.   If not,  I will come up with another plan for you to find the video. 

Quote:Smith is a solid choice, but he just doesn't do anything for me. He's never had a great top 10 Defense EVER, he had Ryan, Turner, and a young Rody White, he's always had a talented offense in his time in Atlanta. I would hope Dave would pick him because of his ability to lead NOT that he was a HC previous (although that helps)

Look at Dan Quinn, McAdoo or Gase, or Bill OBrien, Arians, etc

Then look at Hue Jackson, Jeff Fisher, Chip Kelly, Rex Ryan, John Fox...

HC experience imo doesn't matter. Either you have dat special sauce in the moment or you don't.

My vote is still for shanahan or McDaniels

He had tons of great defenses he coached here in JAX. After he left our defense dropped off significantly. Now this year he turned around TB's in a big way and nearly got them into the playoffs because of it. They've had troubles for several years defensively.

So you like McDaniels more even though his first go around he totally bombed, was an ego-maniac, and hasn't had success outside of NE? I mean come on dude, it goes both ways. If you just don't like Smith it's ok, but if we're taking away his success because he had some pieces offensively then how aren't we doing that with him having Brady? McDaniels was also the OC in STL for one year I believe and had the 32nd ranked offensive with Sam Bradford (so an OK QB). 

Considering we just fired a first time guy in Gus, it goes both ways. No, exp isn't the end all be all, but when he was the 2nd fastest HC in history to get to 60 wins and had a lot of success, showing he could most definitely lead a team, that exp. is pretty impressive/important.