Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official Free Agency Twitter and rumors thread***

Quote:There is never an appropriate time to just throw money around...

IMO, Julius Thomas at $9M/yr and Charles Clay at $7.5/yr offer the same value IMO. Even if we don't get Thomas, we have options.

And that extra $1.5M is not worth the hassle of giving Miami a chance to match. That $1.5M extra cap space will also likely never be used for the length of the contract. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Just because a team has a ton of money doesn't mean they should throw it around.  They don't need to be stingy and can afford to overpay but they should set limits on players worth and stick to it, which is what the Jags seem to be doing. 

You don't have to spend all the money this year, spend it wisely and continue to do so for years to come so you can get the impact players you need and build a championship roster.

Exactly. Exactly what was said the past two years. The fan base needs something to get excited about. The team needs to start thinking playoffs. So far, we have a back up OLineman , a discard fromMiami and Alualu resigned. Hardly ready to compete with the Colts or even Texans.

Let's see how it plays out. But I'll bet if this team does another 3-4 or even 5 win season, the stadium will still look pretty, but pretty empty as well. They said give us a couple years. We did. I'm not expecting Superbowl, but damn, just a playoff push would be refreshing.

Being a fan of more years than many, I just want something to get excited about on Sundays besides the tailgate.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:But they get a draft pick, unlike with Mack, which could make them not match 

With our Cap space I would throw McCourty money at him and say your move Browns 

This^. I don't know if I'd go as big as McCourty; but high enough for them to think hard about it. He's young enough that it's almost like drafting him and he's got experience and high talent too. I hope Dave makes an attempt. This could give us more options with the draft and trade down scenerios.

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:Exactly. Exactly what was said the past two years. The fan base needs something to get excited about. The team needs to start thinking playoffs. So far, we have a back up OLineman , a discard fromMiami and Alualu resigned. Hardly ready to compete with the Colts or even Texans.

Let's see how it plays out. But I'll bet if this team does another 3-4 or even 5 win season, the stadium will still look pretty, but pretty empty as well. They said give us a couple years. We did. I'm not expecting Superbowl, but damn, just a playoff push would be refreshing.

Being a fan of more years than many, I just want something to get excited about on Sundays besides the tailgate.

"A backup o linemen and a "castoff from Miami", man are you dense, you know nothing about the game if you think Parnell is a backup caliber talent, you're incredibly clueless if you think Jared Ordrick is merely a talent-less "castoff" from Miami, if you don't know what you're talking about (it's obvious you don't) then refrain from posting such ignorance.

Not interested in winning the most cap space race every year.

Some players resign for less with current clubs because they're contenders, not pretenders.

Does anyone think just signing Thomas ( if ) will make a huge difference?

Still hoping/ waiting for that Wow moment. Great moves Jags.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:This^. I don't know if I'd go as big as McCourty; but high enough for them to think hard about it. He's young enough that it's almost like drafting him and he's got experience and high talent too. I hope Dave makes an attempt. This could give us more options with the draft and trade down scenerios.

GO JAGS!!
Plus browns were too cheap to give the kid a 1st round tender, the dude made the probowl, they wont match a big offer 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Im not sure how I feel about giving the browns a 2 round pick but I do want a very good FS....

Quote:Im not sure how I feel about giving the browns a 2 round pick but I do want a very good FS....

Gipson is very good, young and has NFL experience. FS is a critical part of Gus' defense and Gipson is only going to get better.

Quote:Gipson is very good, young and has NFL experience. FS is a critical part of Gus' defense and Gipson is only going to get better.

I would gladly give up a 2nd rounder for him. The miss on McCourty could be a blessing in disguise if we make an attempt. And maybe for less money too. WIN/WIN!

GO JAGS!!

Quote:And that extra $1.5M is not worth the hassle of giving Miami a chance to match. That $1.5M extra cap space will also likely never be used for the length of the contract. 

I'm offering Clay as an option if we don't get Thomas, not saying we should stop pursuing Thomas. And the hypothetical $1.5M/yr absolutely directly effects your cap situation, not to mention the difference in signing bonus and guarantees between the two players.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2015, 05:12 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:I would gladly give up a 2nd rounder for him. The miss on McCourty could be a blessing in disguise if we make an attempt. And maybe for less money too. WIN/WIN!

GO JAGS!!

The Browns have tons of cap space, it'd be foolish to let a young player like Gibson go  even if they acquire the Jags 2nd round pick. It's almost impossible to find a stud FS these days, especially a 24 year old stud FS. The Jaguars would be negotiating the contract for the Browns, I can't see them not matching any offer the Jaguars drum up.

Quote:I would gladly give up a 2nd rounder for him. The miss on McCourty could be a blessing in disguise if we make an attempt. And maybe for less money too. WIN/WIN!

GO JAGS!!

We would lose our 2nd round pick...

Quote:We would lose our 2nd round pick...

haha exactly

True; but it would be like drafting our safety; coming with NFL experience and talent. It would be worth it to me. Plus maybe we trade down and pick up two more 1st's and a few more 2nd's lol

GO JAGS!!

Quote:"A backup o linemen and a "castoff from Miami", man are you dense, you know nothing about the game if you think Parnell is a backup caliber talent, you're incredibly clueless if you think Jared Ordrick is merely a talent-less "castoff" from Miami, if you don't know what you're talking about (it's obvious you don't) then refrain from posting such ignorance.

So Mr Football, these two signings put us ahead? Or gave us some depth? Depth is good, but they were obviously dispensable.

A guy with less than 10 starts and you think he's a huge talent. You nor I don't know that. He played with a lot more talent around him than he will have here. I'm hoping he's the next Tony B , but it's still premature.

But that's fine. Some are happy with a 5 year rebuilding plan, some aren't.

Are saying Parnell is better than Free? We paid him more.

Is Odrick better than Alualu? If not, it's a depth signing.

But I'll leave your expertise to explain things,coach

Hope these two put us over the top to contend with Indy. But I don't share your optimism.

Add Thomas and Murray, then we can talk.
Blakes Life Matters

We would be crazy not to offer Gipson a deal. A second round pick is a small price to pay for a probowler his age

I would trade a second rounder for a 24 year old (some rookies are that old) FS that will give me 6 solid years of near pro bowl level play.

IN. A. HEARTBEAT.

Yeah no way Gipson is a better option than McCourty. We have tons of cap space, whereas draft picks are finite commodity. I rather overspend on McCourty than overspend (since we'll need to, otherwise Cleveland will just match) on Gipson + giving up our 2nd rounder.

Quote:Im not sure how I feel about giving the browns a 2 round pick but I do want a very good FS....

If the pick was a low 2nd Round pick,  I think the Jaguars would be very tempted to put an offer sheet together.   Yet,  because it would be a very high 2nd Round pick,  I would be surprised if the Jaguars signed T. Gipson to an offer sheet.    I don't think that Dave Caldwell wants to give up the draft flexibility the very high 2nd Round pick provides.

Quote:The Browns have tons of cap space, it'd be foolish to let a young player like Gibson go  even if they acquire the Jags 2nd round pick. It's almost impossible to find a stud FS these days, especially a 24 year old stud FS. The Jaguars would be negotiating the contract for the Browns, I can't see them not matching any offer the Jaguars drum up.

This is very possible and could be their reasoning for doing it. I didn't know what their cap space looked like. So it's very possible.

GO JAGS!!