Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official Free Agency Twitter and rumors thread***

Quote:Jennings is not going to sign cheap as someone suggested.  He was playing for the Vikings around $9m per year.  Panthers and Dolphins want him, and someone is going to give him a decent deal.  He's not worth $9m per year any longer, but my gut is he won't play for less than $6m.  

While it's possible that a team will offer Greg Jennings $ 6 million a season,  he's probably closer to what Torry Holt would provide late in his career as UConnUCFjags made the reference to than the dynamic player that was on display in Green Bay for many years.   Jennings has much better intangibles than Michael Crabtree but clearly Jennings is closer to the end than what he was during his peak.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Regarding Michael Crabtree,  a question that all teams that have some interest should ask is do they think Crabtree will ever regain his pre-injury form?    My gut feeling is that many,  if not most teams, believe that Crabtree no longer has the type of ability that warrants having him on a roster when factoring in his baggage.   That much more if his asking price is still on the high side.

254 pages
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:I appreciate you trying to be cool with your one word response. A little reasoning, as hard as that may be to ask for around these parts, might be in order.

I think the article explains my reasoning. He doesn't have the same explosion since the Achilles injury and it hurts him even more so as he wasn't all that fast and explosive to begin with. That coupled with his questionable locker room character makes me think that this team would be better off exploring other options. Obviously based on his all but non existent market I'm not the only one who feels that way.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I think the article explains my reasoning. He doesn't have the same explosion since the Achilles injury and it hurts him even more so as he wasn't all that fast and explosive to begin with. That coupled with his questionable locker room character makes me think that this team would be better off exploring other options. Obviously based on his all but non existent market I'm not the only one who feels that way.

The article explains the article's author's reasoning, but you're absolutely right by saying most people think he won't be worth (what he thinks he is) after his injury. D6 really said it best; no one is going to pay the guy his 5.3 million bucks per year that he averaged on his rookie contract.

What I'm trying to decide is who's worth more; an older WR who is more established and likely wants 4-6 million per year, or the younger WR coming off injury with the "higher ceiling" who's asking for comparable money.

Idk. It's hard to take one side of the fence or the other on this one. I like the idea of riding with what we have and drafting a guy for the slot, but I'm starting to wonder how important the veteran leadership is to the FO.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2015, 12:38 AM by Treestone Ice.)

Quote:Regarding Michael Crabtree, a question that all teams that have some interest should ask is do they think Crabtree will ever regain his pre-injury form? My gut feeling is that many, if not most teams, believe that Crabtree no longer has the type of ability that warrants having him on a roster when factoring in his baggage. That much more if his asking price is still on the high side.
Very fair evaluation; I agree completely. Put yourself in the Jags FO position: you want a veteran leader for your talented but young WR corps, but you don't want to overspend for said veteran. Where do YOU go?

Me personally, I'd rather take a flier on Crabtree, assuming the price was right.

It's a moot point I know; Crabtree wants what he thinks he's worth. I'm sure the Browns will pay the man eventually, especially since they screwed up the market with that Dwyane Bowe contract.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2015, 06:00 AM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:Regarding Michael Crabtree,  a question that all teams that have some interest should ask is do they think Crabtree will ever regain his pre-injury form?    My gut feeling is that many,  if not most teams, believe that Crabtree no longer has the type of ability that warrants having him on a roster when factoring in his baggage.   That much more if his asking price is still on the high side.

He looks to be in a similar position to Hakeem Nicks last offseason. Nicks signed a "prove it" deal with Indy and only proved to be near the end of the line. He is currently sitting without a team.

;

;

Hypothetically, let's say Blackmon comes back. Would you rather have Jennings or Crabtree as the new veteran in team meetings? A guy who has had ONE season to speak of, but thinks he is a stud or a guy who may be towards the end of his career, but has put together a respectable string of seasons and knows what it takes to play at a high level. I question the price tag on both guys, but given that choice, its Jennings every time.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Today, I would take Jennings over Crabtree for the role, but would know that it is a short term fix.  Jennings is likely to sign a deal similar to Bowe, 2 years at $12.5m with $9m guaranteed.  Bowe will be 31 this season, of similar age to Jennings.     

I've repeatedly heard Gus and Dave express the importance of bringing in hard working, selfless, and disciplined veteran players. They talk of the guys they targeted as sharing that mentality. Crabtree doesn't check all those boxes. Teams often overlook a T.O. or a Steve Smith "type" in their prime because of production. Is he really worth $ ? Mil a year with all the injuries and drama? I might be bias in my opinion because I saw him as an overhyped turd since his Texas Tech days.
"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

The Jags are testing the scoreboards again right now. A beacon of light on an otherwise gloomy and overcast day. An omen Caldwell is firing up the free agency bat signal again? We shall see.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:The Jags are testing the scoreboards again right now. A beacon of light on an otherwise gloomy and overcast day. An omen Caldwell is firing up the free agency bat signal again? We shall see.
Brace yourself.......it's coming  Ninja

Quote:Very fair evaluation; I agree completely. Put yourself in the Jags FO position: you want a veteran leader for your talented but young WR corps, but you don't want to overspend for said veteran. Where do YOU go?

Me personally, I'd rather take a flier on Crabtree, assuming the price was right.

It's a moot point I know; Crabtree wants what he thinks he's worth. I'm sure the Browns will pay the man eventually, especially since they screwed up the market with that Dwyane Bowe contract.

My strategy probably would be to sign a veteran leader..........  as long as he warrants a 53 man roster spot on merit on the field,  and the asking price isn't out of proportion to what he can bring to the table.  I wouldn't give Greg Jennings $ 6 million a season.   But a $ 3 million per season contract for a couple of years is something that I think probably would be worth considering if the option is present.

Being that the Jaguars added 3 rookie WR's last season that have the potential to be part of a long term solution,   I think it would help to have an accomplished veteran around to help mentor them.   Someone like Greg Jennings at a sensible price could share with the younger WRs what it took for him to be a key part of a team that won a Super Bowl and was a regular participant in the playoffs.   While Jerry Sullivan is an elite WR coach,  it certainly would help to have an accomplished veteran helping in the developmental process.

Quote:He looks to be in a similar position to Hakeem Nicks last offseason. Nicks signed a "prove it" deal with Indy and only proved to be near the end of the line. He is currently sitting without a team.

Hakeem Nicks had many injuries with the Giants.  I believe it took its toll on his body.   Being that Nicks doesn't offer much from intangible/ leadership/  consistency standpoints,  I'm not surprised that the demand for his services is low at best.  

Quote: My strategy probably would be to sign a veteran leader..........  as long as he warrants a 53 man roster spot on merit on the field,  and the asking price isn't out of proportion to what he can bring to the table.  I wouldn't give Greg Jennings $ 6 million a season.   But a $ 3 million per season contract for a couple of years is something that I think probably would be worth considering if the option is present.

Being that the Jaguars added 3 rookie WR's last season that have the potential to be part of a long term solution,   I think it would help to have an accomplished veteran around to help mentor them.   Someone like Greg Jennings at a sensible price could share with the younger WRs what it took for him to be a key part of a team that won a Super Bowl and was a regular participant in the playoffs.   While Jerry Sullivan is an elite WR coach,  it certainly would help to have an accomplished veteran helping in the developmental process.

greg jennings seems like a guy that could definitely come in and work the slot and act as a mentor/consummate pro type guy. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:254 pages

I believe that means this is considered a HOT topic.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:greg jennings seems like a guy that could definitely come in and work the slot and act as a mentor/consummate pro type guy. 

Agreed.  At least for one season.

Yet,  even for a team like the Jaguars which has tons of salary cap space,  I would be reluctant to give Greg Jennings the type of contract that ATLjag believes that Jennings likely can command. 

After the draft,  more veteran WR's probably will be released.    There could be one or more bargains to consider at that time.   

Quote: Agreed.  At least for one season.

Yet,  even for a team like the Jaguars which has tons of salary cap space,  I would be reluctant to give Greg Jennings the type of contract that ATLjag believes that Jennings likely can command. 

After the draft,  more veteran WR's probably will be released.    There could be one or more bargains to consider at that time.   

im thinking it would be lower than the 6 mil a season but he will get a nice guaranteed amount. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I would prefer Jennings over Crabtree as well. He even said at this point in his career his most prides himself in teaching and helping to develop young WRs. Hopefully we dig a little deeper with him. 

Quote: My strategy probably would be to sign a veteran leader..........  as long as he warrants a 53 man roster spot on merit on the field,  and the asking price isn't out of proportion to what he can bring to the table.  I wouldn't give Greg Jennings $ 6 million a season.   But a $ 3 million per season contract for a couple of years is something that I think probably would be worth considering if the option is present.

From the sound of interviews with Gus and Dave, that seems precisely what they're looking for.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."