Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Quote:The fact that they traded for Gabbert then proceeded to start him this year pretty much solidifies their ineptness.

to be fair it was a 6th rd pick, Kaepernick doesn't have Gabbert's work ethic, I'm positive Gabbert came in prepared and worked his tail off ever day. 

a typical day in the QB room would probably be Gabbert giving Kaep all the answers to the assignments like they were in a high school history class.. Kaep is 6 minutes late, not dressed and asking if they can have the meeting outside. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The problem with Chip Kelly as an OC is the burden that he places on the DC when the team only has 20 minutes time of possession per game.   As a HC, you can control the DC but as an OC, I can see a DC like Rex Ryan coming over and kicking his [BLEEP] during the game.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 10:14 PM by HolsterHusto.)

Alex MarvezVerified account

‏@alexmarvez

#Dolphins DC Vance Joseph hasn't interviewed 4 @Broncos HC job yet but I'm told his to lose. CU Buffs connection w/Broncos exec Matt Russell

I thought for sure Shanahan to Denver was a lock. Guess this leaves the door open for him.

Some of the local guys seem to think that McDaniels and Shanahan are plans A for the Jags with Mike Smith or Doug Marrone being the fallback.

I found it odd that Mike Smith hadn't lined up any other interviews outside of the Jags but it was just reported that he will be interviewing with SD as well.

Quote:Alex MarvezVerified account

‏@alexmarvez

#Dolphins DC Vance Joseph hasn't interviewed 4 @Broncos HC job yet but I'm told his to lose. CU Buffs connection w/Broncos exec Matt Russell

I thought for sure Shanahan to Denver was a lock. Guess this leaves the door open for him.

Some of the local guys seem to think that McDaniels and Shanahan are plans A with Mike Smith or Doug Marrone being the fallback.

I found it odd that Mike Smith hadn't lined up any other interviews outside of the Jags but it was just reported that he will be interviewing with SD as well.
There was tons of reports that Mike Shanahan and John Elway had problems in Denver just as recent as a few years ago. Not sure why you think its a lock. Plus, coaching in your dads shadow? Meh.

Well who would you guys want then? It sounds like it's going to come down Shanahan and McDaniels.

It's honestly hard to choose

Quote:Well who would you guys want then? It sounds like it's going to come down Shanahan and McDaniels.

It's honestly hard to choose
Shanahan.

I'd be good with either, but Shanahan has been an OC for 9 years for several different teams and generally did pretty well with all thea teams he's coached...especially with Ryan. He does seem to have a bit of a personality issue though as I remember hearing he and Ryan got into it a bit last year. 

Apparently Albert Breer just said he thinks the 49ers job is the most interesting job to McDaniels of the ones he has interviews with as he'll be able to build it how he wants and be with a GM he likes such as Riddick or the guy from NE.

I mean, McDaniels did go to school with Dave, so I'm sure the relationship there would be solid...idk.

Mike Smith interviewing tomorrow.

Mike Kaye just tweeted "The favorite, in my opinion" to Rappaports tweet. So I guess it's a good bet one of McDaniels, Smith, or Shanahan are likely a lock barring something crazy. I'll be happy with any. Mike Smith is going to be the most vital one to see the coordinators. Need a good offensive mind man with Bortles.

Quote:to be fair it was a 6th rd pick, Kaepernick doesn't have Gabbert's work ethic, I'm positive Gabbert came in prepared and worked his tail off ever day.

a typical day in the QB room would probably be Gabbert giving Kaep all the answers to the assignments like they were in a high school history class.. Kaep is 6 minutes late, not dressed and asking if they can have the meeting outside.
Do you have a basis for Kaeps lack of work ethic youd like to share?

I think the whole "offensive coach" or "defensive coach" is pretty meaningless.

You're hiring a head coach - whether he is an offensive or defensive mind doesn't matter much.

Andy Reid is an offensive mind - KC is winning with defense

John Harbaugh is an offensive mind - they have been winning with defensive

Mike Tomlin, defensive mind - have been winning with offense for a while now.

Mike Smith - defensive mind - was winning with offense in Atlanta.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Mike Smith interviewing tomorrow.

Mike Kaye just tweeted "The favorite, in my opinion" to Rappaports tweet. So I guess it's a good bet one of McDaniels, Smith, or Shanahan are likely a lock barring something crazy. I'll be happy with any. Mike Smith is going to be the most vital one to see the coordinators. Need a good offensive mind man with Bortles.
when is the McDaniels Nd Shanny interview? I forgot

Quote:when is the McDaniels Nd Shanny interview? I forgot

I haven't seen anyone pin down McDaniels' date but Shanny is on Friday.

Quote:I haven't seen anyone pin down McDaniels' date but Shanny is on Friday.
thanks

Yup, I'd imagine McDaniels Saturday because of that. Who knows though. I know JMD has 3 in those two days I believe.

Quote:Mike Smith interviewing tomorrow.

Im pulling for Mike Smith. Think hes an experienced coach who has a good track record of success in the NFL. I think this is a coach who can get this turned around quickly. Im just not sold on McDaniels, I've heard hes a good coordinator but a at head coach. He apparently is a brilliant offensive mind but isnt the most friendly person and he had some road blocks over that in Denver. Also, I just dont see this team waiting for him as the Patriots most likely will be there till the end of the playoffs. 

Quote:I think the whole "offensive coach" or "defensive coach" is pretty meaningless.

You're hiring a head coach - whether he is an offensive or defensive mind doesn't matter much.

Agree

you would think it would be sometime this week being this is there off week

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 10:34 PM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:I think the whole "offensive coach" or "defensive coach" is pretty meaningless.

It isn't completely vital no, but look at Tannehill this year after getting Gase in at HC. He was terrible last year. This year, he was much improved and I'd say getting a mind like Gase in there had a lot to do with it.

If he can get an OC that can help develop Bortles, a lot of people will chill. I don't think anyone dislikes Smith, in fact I think most like him but people know this team isn't going anywhere without a QB.

If we didn't have these questions around Bortles, Mike Smith would be my #1 guy.

The guy is the 2nd fastest guy to get 60 wins in NFL history. He took a team with a bunch of problems around the org. like VIck and Petrino into a playoff team in his first year. The previous year they only won 3 or 4 games. He has shown he can get a good offensive staff considering both of his OC's (Mularkey and Koetter) got HC gigs. 

He's really a great candidate. Just like the idea of hopefully getting that next Gase who can fix the QB position. I'll be excited with any of these three guys though.

I think Smith is probably the safest bet.

McDaniels is the high risk high reward, and Shanny is the wildcard, we know he is a really good ofensive mind but can he be a good head coach?

Quote:There was tons of reports that Mike Shanahan and John Elway had problems in Denver just as recent as a few years ago. Not sure why you think its a lock. Plus, coaching in your dads shadow? Meh.

I tend to agree with this line of thought.

However - it's equally possible Elway sold Kyle on the whole "legacy" angle.  Who knows?