Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Quote:We need someone whos going to change the culture of this team and i just dont see that in Mike Smith. This team has been pacified so much by Gus, its gonna take alot of work. Coughlin is the best thing for this team.

I think you hit it with Mike Smith. He seems like a decent football mind and all but I don't see him as the type to develop a culture and that was his failure in Atlanta. Atlanta needed a coach to take them to the top and just like in Jax before, he couldn't get there. I believe the Jags would have success with Smith, I just don't see the long lasting type success that leads to a culture of winning and culture is of the utmost importance of what Khan is trying to establish as an owner. If you want Unkle Mike, that's great, but he has a high school head coach demeanor and I think we saw that in Atlanta when he was there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Hes not young and theres no clips of him yelling so hes just like Gus

Quote:He had tons of great defenses he coached here in JAX. After he left our defense dropped off significantly. Now this year he turned around TB's in a big way and nearly got them into the playoffs because of it. They've had troubles for several years defensively.

So you like McDaniels more even though his first go around he totally bombed, was an ego-maniac, and hasn't had success outside of NE? I mean come on dude, it goes both ways. If you just don't like Smith it's ok, but if we're taking away his success because he had some pieces offensively then how aren't we doing that with him having Brady? McDaniels was also the OC in STL for one year I believe and had the 32nd ranked offensive with Sam Bradford (so an OK QB).

Considering we just fired a first time guy in Gus, it goes both ways. No, exp isn't the end all be all, but when he was the 2nd fastest HC in history to get to 60 wins and had a lot of success, showing he could most definitely lead a team, that exp. is pretty impressive/important.

I should clarify my position. I wouldn't be opposed to Smith at all, he's a solid hire.

The game he called against the Pats in our playoff game was madening. I just don't think he's had a lot of success stopping the pass.

All I'm saying is I'd be disappointed if the main criteria for Smiths hire was his HC experience or his Defensive background.

Ultimately I don't think we'll go with McDaniels, he might be too much personality for the state of our franchise. But I do anticipate Shanahan being option #1 for the Jags.

And McDaniels made bad personell decisions not poor game day decisions. I'm sure he has learned from his mistakes in his youth

Quote:I think you hit it with Mike Smith. He seems like a decent football mind and all but I don't see him as the type to develop a culture and that was his failure in Atlanta. Atlanta needed a coach to take them to the top and just like in Jax before, he couldn't get there. I believe the Jags would have success with Smith, I just don't see the long lasting type success that leads to a culture of winning and culture is of the utmost importance of what Khan is trying to establish as an owner. If you want Unkle Mike, that's great, but he has a high school head coach demeanor and I think we saw that in Atlanta when he was there.

Mike Smith must be some HC if was able to win that much in Atlanta without a winning culture.

Quote:I should clarify my position. I wouldn't be opposed to Smith at all, he's a solid hire.

The game he called against the Pats in our playoff game was madening. I just don't think he's had a lot of success stopping the pass.

All I'm saying is I'd be disappointed if the main criteria for Smiths hire was his HC experience or his Defensive background.

Ultimately I don't think we'll go with McDaniels, he might be too much personality for the state of our franchise. But I do anticipate Shanahan being option #1 for the Jags.

And McDaniels made bad personell decisions not poor game day decisions. I'm sure he has learned from his mistakes in his youth

Mike Smith also has great track record of hiring quality offensive staff.

Quote:I think you hit it with Mike Smith. He seems like a decent football mind and all but I don't see him as the type to develop a culture and that was his failure in Atlanta. Atlanta needed a coach to take them to the top and just like in Jax before, he couldn't get there. I believe the Jags would have success with Smith, I just don't see the long lasting type success that leads to a culture of winning and culture is of the utmost importance of what Khan is trying to establish as an owner. If you want Unkle Mike, that's great, but he has a high school head coach demeanor and I think we saw that in Atlanta when he was there.
I just don't know how you come to this conclusion though. Not many have had the success Mike Smith has had as a head coach. If he wasn't a very good leader/head coach, I don't see how he had 4 double digit winning season and 5 playoff appearences in 7 years, as we clearly saw what a poor HC can do compared to a solid one in Marrone in just two weeks as an interim. Like I've brought up, with all the Vick/Petrino things going in right when he came in, how isn't that showing his leadership capabilities and getting players to buy into his message/focus only on football? I don't get that.

Who knows, maybe he won't ever get a team to where we want to go (SB), but he had a ton of success in ATL. Most think Mike Smith is a HIGHLY respected guy in the league as well. Most people who have brought up the job think he would be a great fit/make a ton of sense. Just don't get why people would think he'd get a HC gig the year after he was let go if people didn't think his demeanor was that of an NFL caliber coach. Just because he isn't Tom Coughlin and chews the [BLEEP] of a lot of people doesn't mean he is a pushover like Gus.

Ok I just found a connection with Mike McCoy and Mike Smith

In 2002 JDR one year with the Panthers was with Mike McCoy also in  2012 JDR was in Denver with McCoy, and we all know JDR and Mike Smith worked together in Baltimore and Jacksonville.

Mike Smith plus Mike McCoy would be huge hire's 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:I should clarify my position. I wouldn't be opposed to Smith at all, he's a solid hire.

I didn't see the Broncos games so IDK bout his game day decisions, but he also had the whole Broncos team hating him and wanting him gone by year 2. There's a lot of risk there, a lot. I would be down with him for sure, but Smith is a lot safer to go with already being a damn good coach.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017, 12:58 AM by J-Mizzal.)

Quote:I didn't see the Broncos games so IDK bout his game day decisions, but he also had the whole Broncos team hating him and wanting him gone by year 2. There's a lot of risk there, a lot. I would be down with him for sure, but Smith is a lot safer to go with already being a damn good coach.
Yea I dont get all these people clamoring for McDainels but dismiss Mike Smith, one guy got ran out of town so fast while the other guy lasted 7 years with a lot of sucess, which is the usually time for most coaches.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

I still think McCoy will likely follow McDaniels wherever he ends up. After all, Josh gave him his first shot at being a coordinator during his time in Denver.

Quote:I still think McCoy will likely follow McDaniels wherever he ends up. After all, Josh gave him his first shot at being a coordinator during his time in Denver.
IDK this for a fact, but with McDaniels having personnel control, I doubt he ALSO wanted to call plays. He didn't, did he? I'd imagine this time around with no personnell involvement he'd rather call plays then not.

If he could come be Mike Smith's OC, he'd literally own the offense like Koetter/Mularkey did before. I'd feel like that'd be more appealing...IDK.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017, 02:47 AM by TheAll22.)

Quote:What makes you think Kap doesn't work hard.

Maybe it's Cliche, maybe it's lazy and leaning on media perception too much but the overall suspicion points toward overall work-ethic, not one off-season lifting weights. 

There was an interesting article last year from the 49ers from Bill Romanowski, he talked about how coaches weren't thrilled with how Kaepernick prepared for games and how Gabbert would watch four to five times the amount of game film compared to Kaepernick last season. Cardinals DB Tyrann Mathieu is also quoted and he talked about how Gabbert knew better situational football. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/romanowski-gabbert-watched-a-lot-more-film-than-kaepernick-as-backup/ 

It's a small sample from a year ago but it echoes the larger point and screams work ethic to me. More so than an off-season where he ran around in underwear. That's easy, we can all do that. NFL qb's are held to a higher standard

Kaepernick is one of my favorite talents and I really wanted him in round 2 back in 2011 actually. The talent is incredible and that's why I lean toward mediocre or poor preparation that would cause him to go from the Super Bowl to being close to heading out the door in less than a few seasons. Of course Kaepernick is going to blow anyone away in the weight room or during practice reps. Where I think he is losing is his ability to prepare for the NFL games where it matters. 

Kaep needs his own thread. How does a player with generation skills unravel so fast? you could say maybe he's just not smart enough, theres just very little else I can think of..Coaching?  

Quote:Mike Smith must be some HC if was able to win that much in Atlanta without a winning culture.

Culture is just a buzzword though and I'm sorry I stooped to that level, it's a cliche. We should all be better than this.

He won 1 playoff game in 7 years, he brought in these decent, not great teams and couldn't get over the hump. They won the Division twice and Smith got the ugly taste of Bobby Petrino out of many Falcon's fans mouths and if that's good enough for you guys then that's fine. I would prefer a coach who can get to a higher level and sustain it. Smith's teams flatlined, they never improved where they needed to, they were never ready for playoff competition. Can smith lead this franchise to 9 or ten wins? I think he could, but what about after that? He has only proven that he can not. With the great offensive talent he had?

Smith admitted to losing his locker room after 2012 and forgot to develop players. Can he learn from those mistakes? I mean everyone wants to give McDaniels among others a 2nd chance. So, I don't mind the idea,  there is a strong case for him and he's worth an interview.. I just think there are about 4 or 5 better options 

Quote:Tom Cable?
Yea he has been quiet.  I wonder why that is?  

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Not a fan of Mike Smith. He didn't do much in Atlanta. He's average which is why he got fired.

Quote:Not a fan of Mike Smith. He didn't do much in Atlanta. He's average which is why he got fired.

I don't get this line of thinking. 66-46 coaching record with four playoff appearances. Didn't do much and average?

Is it easy to make the playoffs? This team sure hasn't come close. If you don't like the guy fine but don't be ignorant of the guys success.

Btw, we Jags fans would love four playoff appearances in the next seven years.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

He didn't do anything in the playoffs though. Some coaches are good in the season but when it really counts they blow it.

We're trying to win superbowls. not just being in the playoffs

Quote:Not a fan of Mike Smith. He didn't do much in Atlanta. He's average which is why he got fired.

Were you a fan of Coughlin during his tenure here? Mike Smith's tenure in Atlanta was eerily similar.

What's not to like?

Winning record? Check

Multiple playoff appearances? Check

Proven ability to hire top notch coordinators? Check
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:He didn't do anything in the playoffs though. Some coaches are good in the season but when it really counts they blow it.

He made it to the NFC championship game.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."