Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Remember, I like McDaniels a little more than Smith, but when we keep calling him a HR and Smith a double (i know it's just your analogy but it is correct), I'm lost.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017, 01:27 PM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:Yes they can, they won more playoff games if you want to go down that road, which you aren't ready for. 

Rex Ryan 4-2 Playoffs

Mike Smith 1-4 Playoff

Mike Smith fanatics have 1 stat, which is a quality regular season record. Good for you, read my posts and see what I said about Smith. We have established that Mike Smith had a good regular season win record in seven years as HC in Atlanta. Nobody disagrees he had a nice record. Smith was 10-22 his last two seasons and he was not lacking in talent. His teams were not good enough. 
He wasn't lacking in talent? Did you look at their defense? Do you see he had an over the hill Steven Jackson and Jacquizz Rodgers at RB? Did you see Matt Ryan's play those last couple years and up until this year?

Quote:Yes they can, they won more playoff games if you want to go down that road, which you aren't ready for.

Rex Ryan 4-2 Playoffs

Mike Smith 1-4 Playoff

Mike Smith fanatics have 1 stat, which is a quality regular season record. Good for you, read my posts and see what I said about Smith. We have established that Mike Smith had a good regular season win record in seven years as HC in Atlanta. Nobody disagrees he had a nice record. Smith was 10-22 his last two seasons and he was not lacking in talent. His teams were not good enough.

I asked this question earlier....is Mike Smith capable of learning from his mistakes or is that rule only reserved for McDaniels?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:True. But he's the only proven choice that's been considered (besides Coughlin). Everyone else is either a previous failure or an unknown gamble. This team may not be able to afford another hit and miss on the next head coach.

Absolutely.   

At the very least, a solid case can be made that Mike Smith would be a top 2 option for the Jaguars.

One thing for sure.    Every HC option has concerns associated with him.   This is the case every coaching cycle when teams are looking to fill HC openings.

Ian Rapoport – Verified account ‏@RapSheet

#Bills interim coach Anthony Lynn is expected to interview with the #Jaguars, source said. So, #Bills, #Rams, #49ers, #Jags.

9:21 AM - 4 Jan 2017
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I asked this question earlier....is Mike Smith capable of learning from his mistakes or is that rule only reserved for McDaniels?

I think you nailed it there, that's everything. Who is more capable of learning from there mistakes? 

Quote:Seriously, when has John Oesher ever been right/know things when it comes to hiring someone/picking someone in the draft? He isn't a good source for things like that at all.

Caldwell loves using the media to put out the wrong perception. Oesher is just apart of that manipulation.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Ian Rapoport – Verified account ‏@RapSheet

#Bills interim coach Anthony Lynn is expected to interview with the #Jaguars, source said. So, #Bills, #Rams, #49ers, #Jags.

And Gus coming along as defensive coordinator lol

What about Jim Schwartz in all of this.

Quote:What about Jim Schwartz in all of this.
He's a DC in PHI. I doubt he leaves for anything less than a HC gig. He hasn't come up anywhere either.

As for Lynn, good. He's a very good offensive mind and has a HUGE tree of guys he's worked with. He'd find good assistants. Obviously Gus wouldn't come here as DC with him if he ended up here.

Quote:I think you nailed it there, that's everything. Who is more capable of learning from there mistakes?

If I'm forced to choose, I would probably lean towards the guy who has shown previous success. At a minimum he should at least get you to the playoffs to have the conversation . The others may not even be able to do that.

Quote:So, like I said before, McDaniels is a home-run hire who bombed ins his first gig and was chased out of town by fans/players with a 32nd ranked offense in STL in that one year outside of NE too?

If hiring the 2nd fastest coach to 60 wins who had 4-5 playoff appearances in his 7 years while turning around a bad organization quickly into relevancy is a ground rule double but McDaniels is a HR, I'm lost.

What you mentioned makes a great amount of sense.   

Yet,  because of the results Josh McDaniels is getting in New England (  even with everything around him in that organization )  and that sometimes people learn from their mistakes when given another opportunity,   the perception among many exists that Josh McDaniels is a long ball hitter who could knock it into the parking lot.   At the same time,   the reality is he could easily strikeout,  being the NFL HC candidate equivalent of Adam Dunn,  Dave Kingman,  or Rob Deer.

Quote:He's a DC in PHI. I doubt he leaves for anything less than a HC gig. He hasn't come up anywhere either.

As for Lynn, good. He's a very good offensive mind and has a HUGE tree of guys he's worked with. He'd find good assistants. Obviously Gus wouldn't come here as DC with him if he ended up here.

One positive with Lynn is he could possibly bring Tyrod Taylor with him.

HC search is real bite:

You want a proven coach? He probably has a job still or is unavailable

You want HC Experience? He's probably been fired before

You want NFL Experience? He's probably only been a coordinator so he's not proven

He's too young, he's too old

You want a sweetheart? He'll probably lose the locker-room

You want the iron fist? He will never bring in star players and make players feel bad about themselves

Quote:Ian Rapoport – Verified account ‏@RapSheet

Lol and Gus Bradley for DC. Isnt that the rumor that Gus and Lynn are a package deal.

Quote:Lol and Gus Bradley for DC. Isnt that the rumor that Gus and Lynn are a package deal.

I think that would be the ultimate #becausejaguars moment.

Quote:What about Jim Schwartz in all of this.

If the season ended after week # 3,  it's a given that Jim Schwartz would have been a major part of this discussion one way or the other. 

Quote:I think that would be the ultimate #becausejaguars moment.

For sure.

Quote:Lol and Gus Bradley for DC. Isnt that the rumor that Gus and Lynn are a package deal.

Well if Lynn went to Denver and kept Bradley, that could make Wade Phillips available to come coach the Jags Defense