Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

If you want Doug Marrone as our coach that's fine but I just don't think he's to much better then Gus. We'll go 6-10 with Doug as our head coach at best.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:  To at least a large extent,  this is how John Clayton views it as well.

One possible X factor that comes to mind is do the Jaguars have interest talking to an Assistant Coach ( maybe more than one ) who they can't speak to until after the first round of the playoffs?

Here is my thinking. Caldwell is more likely to hitch his trailer to a guy with proven success rather than a coordinator type guy who may be a complete bust. This is Caldwell's last shot at a HC and I think Coughlin and Smith are the "safe" picks, and with TC being reportedly out of the mix, Smith makes sense.

Quote:So Bill thinks we should promote Marrone? Either that isn't a ringing endorsement for McDaniels or he just doesn't want McDaniels to leave lol.
Maybe a mix of both.

Quote:Okay...well arguing we need an offensive coach is different from classifying a Smith hire as "boneheaded" or even "average."

I understand the argument for an offensive coach, though I submit the presence of a defensive coach does not preclude the development of a Super Bowl winning QB.

As for Smith, I do have concerns about him.

I recall the loss in the playoffs to New England in 2007. Brady had ungodly numbers in that game, something like 26-28.

It seems as if we stayed in a soft zone the entire game and he picked it apart the entire game. I don't recall any sort of wrinkle thrown in that had any impact on Brady. My concern is that a similar approach would be employed here. I would consider that particularly wasteful given Ramsey's man and press cover abilities. I would hope Smith would be flexible enough to throw in more man and bump and run coverages, which would make him more apt to blitz. I would also have concerns about Smith hiring a strong offensive coordinator.

Bullseye, have you had a chance to watch Mike Smith's defense as of late? If not I highly recommend watching a few Bucs games this offseason. I think it's safe to say he's learned from his mistakes.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Then he turned into Gus Bradley 2.0 and lost the game, Gus beat the Colts 

Monrone coached the OL who was terrible at run blocking

We need a fresh mind in here not somebody from the staff that was on our 3-13 and 5-11 team

Mike Smith or Coughlin should be the hire 

If we go first time HC go Shannahan or Lynn
see zero rb, missing main receiver, and no te   Yup vs gus with all starters. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:But why do you associate Mike Smith with "average" and "boneheaded?"

He had one more winning season in Atlanta  (in one fewer years coaching) than Coughlin had here.

He took the Falcons as far as Coughlin took the Jaguars-the Conference championship game.

He coached the Falcons to their first ever back to back winning seasons in franchise history.

Were the Giants "boneheaded" and okay with average when they hired TC?

Belichick did not have Smith's track record of success in Cleveland.  Was New England okay with mediocrity by hiring him?

Why in the world are you trying to reason with Brooklyn? He's not into reasoning. He's into whining and moaning and groaning. That way he can always say he was correct. And of course he's the only one around here who wants success. The rest of us will settle for mediocrity. 

He's childish.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

I have a feeling a lot of player's also want a full change of the coaching staff.

Quote:So Bill thinks we should promote Marrone? Either that isn't a ringing endorsement for McDaniels or he just doesn't want McDaniels to leave lol.

He doesnt want him to leave lol.

Quote:I love some of the people on here.  We've been terrible for so long, without even a sniff of the playoffs, and yet some people on here are complaining that we may hire a head coach that has a track record of getting to the playoffs consistently, but faltering once there.  Give me a break man.  I'd be more than happy to become a playoff contender.  It's not like this team is ready to become a super bowl contender next year, this turnaround will have to be done in steps.  I look forward to the day that we fire a coach because he gets us to the playoffs every year, but doesn't get us to the super bowl.  That will mean that this team has improved significantly.  Some of you would have the audacity next year to complain if we made the playoffs with Mike Smith but lost in the first round.  These people obviously complain just to complain. 
Exactly, thats why I would have been happy with Marvin Lewis he took the his team to the playoffs every year until this year, I rather make the playoffs every year then suck every year.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:Here is my thinking. Caldwell is more likely to hitch his trailer to a guy with proven success rather than a coordinator type guy who may be a complete bust. This is Caldwell's last shot at a HC and I think Coughlin and Smith are the "safe" picks, and with TC being reportedly out of the mix, Smith makes sense.

I agree with you in terms of how Dave Caldwell likely is approaching this.   Yet,  because Todd Haley fits the description of a former HC who won a division title and has done a tremendous job as Steelers OC since then,   it's easy to picture Caldwell wanting to interview Haley.   

Quote:I wouldnt say bonheaded with Mike Smith but just not with this team needs. His playoff record speaks for itself. He also had a stacked team. Hes not going to have a Matt Ryan here. We need a offensive coach.
You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

The Falcons team he took over just went through a monster scandal with Vick, started a rookie QB in Matt Ryan and lost by 7 to the Cards who went on to the SB.

Smith would make an excellent HC for the Jags and if he got the right coordinators, you would see an immediate increase in wins.

Quote:Bullseye, have you had a chance to watch Mike Smith's defense as of late? If not I highly recommend watching a few Bucs games this offseason. I think it's safe to say he's learned from his mistakes.
Not to mention, Brady had ungoldy numbers that entire season.

If Mike Smith was hired, he would need to bring in someone like Mike Mccoy or Norv Turner.

Quote:see zero rb, missing main receiver, and no te   Yup vs gus with all starters. 

My tin foil hat also says that winning that game was meaningless. The jags dominated in the first have and proved their point. The second half was strategic for draft position.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:If Mike Smith was hired, he would need to bring in someone like Mike Mccoy or Norv Turner.

I don't doubt his ability to find a decent coordinator. He's done it twice now with success.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

The Falcons team he took over just went through a monster scandal with Vick, started a rookie QB in Matt Ryan and lost by 7 to the Cards who went on to the SB.

Smith would make an excellent HC for the Jags and if he got the right coordinators, you would see an immediate increase in wins.

I am completely happy with Marrone or Smith. I am pulling more for Marrone because I personally just think he is a better coach. Either way I think we are good with either candidate. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Bullseye, have you had a chance to watch Mike Smith's defense as of late? If not I highly recommend watching a few Bucs games this offseason. I think it's safe to say he's learned from his mistakes.
I have not watched them closely this year.  Hopefully you are right, especially if he becomes our coach.

Even assuming he hadn't learned any lessons from that game, I think he would still make a fine head coach here.

If he is named head coach here, hopefully NFL network will re-play some Bucs games.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

This is fun. Paging through all the posts that say " I really feel" or the definitive statements like "We're sure to go 6-10 if you hire ..."

Highly amusing.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I am completely happy with Marrone or Smith. I am pulling more for Marrone because I personally just think he is a better coach. Either way I think we are good with either candidate. 

I would be happy with either candidate too.

I don't know if I can say that Marrone is a better coach than Smith, but I can buy the argument that if Jacksonville would benefit more from an offensive coach and Marrone can lend some stability and continuity to Bortles.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I would be happy with either candidate too.

I don't know if I can say that Marrone is a better coach than Smith, but I can buy the argument that if Jacksonville would benefit more from an offensive coach and Marrone can lend some stability and continuity to Bortles.
Continuity? Isn't "continuity" the reason Bradley came back after his 3rd year? Continuity is overrated.... especially when it comes from a coaching staff that was historically the worst.

Jags need a fresh start.