Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Quote:Who's Moke?

Moke

mōk/

a donkey.

AUSTRALIAN/NEW ZEALAND

a horse, typically one of inferior quality.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Marrone has an advantage over all the other candidates as in he kind of has the answers to the test. He knows first hand everything that went wrong with the Gus Bradley era so doing a 180 flip makes sense to everyone.

Personally I wouldn't like the move compared to other candidates because I think we need a totally new staff and new perspectives but I guess he'll either fix us or be gone relatively soon.

Quote:Marrone has an advantage over all the other candidates as in he kind of has the answers to the test. He knows first hand everything that went wrong with the Gus Bradley era so doing a 180 flip makes sense to everyone.

Personally I wouldn't like the move compared to other candidates because I think we need a totally new staff and new perspectives but I guess he'll either fix us or be gone relatively soon.
Hiring Marrone would be icing on the cake of having a disaster in energizing a fanbase that has been overly patient. We absolutely would give Marrone a chance and hope he succeeds but yea....talk about a let down. They would struggle getting people into seats. 

Quote:It's gonna be pretty hilarious if they pick Marrone. Good luck selling that to the fans.

You think most of the fans are like the people on this message board? Hate to break it to you, but most fans who I'm aware of (I'm a STH since day one) aren't like Brooklyn, etc., and think they have a clue and all this insight and "inside sources". They just want someone who will do a good job.

Coughlin would have the name recognition and support, especially among the older crowd, but the beauty of sports is that all you have to do to be loved is win.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Our defense was very good. What's wrong with keeping Wash? Just cause Ramsey is a little salty? Ramsey is always a little salty.

There is a difference between being talented and being well run.  My opinion is this defense actually underperformed this year overall and the play calling at times was quite bad.  I would much prefer a totally new mind on defense and a totally new scheme(s) here.  The 2nd half of the Colts game is one example as NYC pointed out.  

This defense is primed and ready to be an excellent defense with the right coach/scheme/play calling.  I was a Wash supporter earlier prior to the season when he was chosen as the DC but it appeared he was in over his head or simply isn't a good DC.  He may very well just need more experience but that doesn't need to be here.  He can follow Gus to Buffalo or wherever he ends up and learn there.

Quote:I hope they hire Marrone just to see Bklyn's meltdown.

The more Brooklyn whines the more Morrone looks pretty good.

Quote:Khan should just sell the team, he obviously does not know how to run a team.

Stop it.  Go troll one of your hometown teams.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

While Marrone wouldn't by my 1st choice he's another one where I think we could do a lot worse than him.  I don't think he ultimately gets the job but they could make a worse choice.  I would be interested in seeing who he would bring in as DC if they were going to hire him as HC. 

Quote:This team is going to have a really really really difficult time energizing this fanbase this offseason. 
They will have the 40 to 45 thousand of us who renew no matter what. They are left needing to sell close to 20K for each game and have had the same issue for years. If they win, that issue will go away with the fair weathers.

I also believe Marrone won't do much to entice anyone new to purchase. It's why Levis sells more than Wranglers. People love a name.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:You think most of the fans are like the people on this message board? Hate to break it to you, but most fans who I'm aware of (I'm a STH since day one) aren't like Brooklyn, etc., and think they have a clue and all this insight and "inside sources". They just want someone who will do a good job.

Coughlin would have the name recognition and support, especially among the older crowd, but the beauty of sports is that all you have to do to be loved is win.
ugh, as a season ticket holder, I would disagree. They are going have issues energizing the fanbase no matter who the coach is, hiring from within and retaining many of the coaches would a disaster from a marketing standpoint. People want to watch winners. People have been calling for Bradley to be fired for 2 years. He went 14-48, the average fan isnt going to be happy when you tell them your hiring 14-48's assistant coach as the next head coach and retaining most of 14-48's staff. The fans have been sold the snake oil for a little bit too long. 

Fans pay and they pay to watch them win or lose. At some point, you have to draw a line in the sand though. People, including myself truly believed we wouldn't be 3-13 year 4 into this administration. People are upset, your going to have a hard time selling that to fans. Its the truth. Best thing this team can do is completely move on and go a different direction. You can stop the bleeding and can atleast sell that to fans who rightfully are frustrated with this team. 

Quote:They will have the 40 to 45 thousand of us who renew no matter what. They are left needing to sell close to 20K for each game and have had the same issue for years. If they win, that issue will go away with the fair weathers.

I also believe Marrone won't do much to entice anyone new to purchase. It's why Levis sells more than Wranglers. People love a name.
Your being very optimistic. Theres going to be a drop off in renewals. 3-13 year 4 into the rebuild, 15-48 over that 4 year span. Yikes.......your not going to get  many new people to buy in except the die hards. 

Quote:Your being very optimistic. Theres going to be a drop off in renewals. 3-13 year 4 into the rebuild, 15-48 over that 4 year span. Yikes.......your not going to get  many new people to buy in except the die hards. 

minor correction

15-49 over the 4 year span

Quote:ugh, as a season ticket holder, I would disagree. They are going have issues energizing the fanbase no matter who the coach is, hiring from within and retaining many of the coaches would a disaster from a marketing standpoint. People want to watch winners. People have been calling for Bradley to be fired for 2 years. He went 14-48, the average fan isnt going to be happy when you tell them your hiring 14-48's assistant coach as the next head coach and retaining most of 14-48's staff. The fans have been sold the snake oil for a little bit too long. 

Fans pay and they pay to watch them win or lose. At some point, you have to draw a line in the sand though. People, including myself truly believed we wouldn't be 3-13 year 4 into this administration. People are upset, your going to have a hard time selling that to fans. Its the truth. Best thing this team can do is completely move on and go a different direction. You can stop the bleeding and can atleast sell that to fans who rightfully are frustrated with this team. 

It seems to me than Khan doesn't really care about ticket sales and energizing the fan base. And that's a good thing. He's going to do what he thinks best. If it works out and the team improves the fans will come.

I've never been a big believer that marketing much matters. Are you telling me that you'll buy or not buy based on a particular marketing campaign? I don't think so, and I don't think other people are less smart than you or me. Tom Coughlin is the only one who may, may, move the needle on ticket sales. Anyone else, McDaniels, Shanahan, Smith or Marrone won't matter but to a handful of people on the fence regarding reupping or buying an initial season ticket.

Quote:Your being very optimistic. Theres going to be a drop off in renewals. 3-13 year 4 into the rebuild, 15-48 over that 4 year span. Yikes.......your not going to get  many new people to buy in except the die hards. 
I would not refer to my numbers as optimistic at all. That is way to low of a level but it has been that way for years no matter the record or coach. I would say the numbers are close to accurate though. The diehards you mention are us. The 40-45 thousand I mentioned.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:They will have the 40 to 45 thousand of us who renew no matter what. They are left needing to sell close to 20K for each game and have had the same issue for years. If they win, that issue will go away with the fair weathers.

Quote:ugh, as a season ticket holder, I would disagree. They are going have issues energizing the fanbase no matter who the coach is, hiring from within and retaining many of the coaches would a disaster from a marketing standpoint. People want to watch winners. People have been calling for Bradley to be fired for 2 years. He went 14-48, the average fan isnt going to be happy when you tell them your hiring 14-48's assistant coach as the next head coach and retaining most of 14-48's staff. The fans have been sold the snake oil for a little bit too long. 

The name of a coach isnt gonna sell tickets, the jaguars winning games and looking like a competent, competitive football team is going to sell tickets. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2017, 01:45 PM by Pwmccorm1216.)

Quote:It seems to me than Khan doesn't really care about ticket sales and energizing the fan base. And that's a good thing. He's going to do what he thinks best. If it works out and the team improves the fans will come.

I've never been a big believer that marketing much matters. Are you telling me that you'll buy or not buy based on a particular marketing campaign? I don't think so, and I don't think other people are less smart than you or me. Tom Coughlin is the only one who may, may, move the needle on ticket sales. Anyone else, McDaniels, Shanahan, Smith or Marrone won't matter but to a handful of people on the fence regarding reupping or buying an initial season ticket.
You dont think Shad Khan cares about revenue? If you believe that, Ive got some snake oil to sell you....................If anything, Khan is all about revenue and ratings. Its not just season tickets, its merchandise, its getting involved with the team during the offseason, clicking on the website, draft parties etc. 

Doug Marrone would be the absolute worst thing from a marketing standpoint. And yes, marketing matters, it may not matter to you or I because we have been fans for a very long time. It matters to the average NFL fan who doesnt get as involved as you or I but still is a fan of the team. Yes, I do believe a brand new head coach not involved in 14-48's coaching staff will be a much better sell and can get people atleast thinking somewhat positive going into the offseason. I dont want anyone from 14-48's coaching staff retained. I want 14-48 to go far far far way and it only will be a distant memory. 

Quote:I would not refer to my numbers as optimistic at all. That is way to low of a level but it has been that way for years no matter the record or coach. I would say the numbers are close to accurate though. The diehards you mention are us. The 40-45 thousand I mentioned.
I get what your saying and hopefully your right. Im just not as optimistic as a season ticket holder as you are. I think this team will have a bit of a difficult time energizing the fanbase after 14-48. 

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2017, 01:56 PM by Adam2012.)

Quote:You dont think Shad Khan cares about revenue? If you believe that, Ive got some snake oil to sell you....................If anything, Khan is all about revenue and ratings. Its not just season tickets, its merchandise, its getting involved with the team during the offseason, clicking on the website, draft parties etc. 

Doug Marrone would be the absolute worst thing from a marketing standpoint. And yes, marketing matters, it may not matter to you or I because we have been fans for a very long time. It matters to the average NFL fan who doesnt get as involved as you or I but still is a fan of the team. Yes, I do believe a brand new head coach not involved in 14-48's coaching staff will be a much better sell and can get people atleast thinking somewhat positive going into the offseason. I dont anyone from 14-48's coaching staff retained. I want 14-48 to go far far far way and it only will be a distant memory. 

With all due respect, Shad Khan doesn't care what you want. And do you really think Kyle Shanahan,and this wonderful marketing, will lead to thousands of new season tickets being sold? He, and marketing, may sell a hundred new season tickets and that's probably because new people are moving into the area every year.

Khan has already shown he's not concerned with short term revenue (and the real money in the NFL comes from television revenue); when he first bought the team he and Lamping made it clear that blackouts would not be an issue - i.e., he'd buy up whatever tickets he had to to avoid a blackout. Now that the blackout policy is no more it means that Khan is saving money.

I think Shad Khan is looking long term. Go with who you think is best and move on. I don't think he's about to have his marketing department do a fan poll as to who should be hired. Otherwise they'd have announced the hiring of Old Tom by now.

Quote:You think most of the fans are like the people on this message board? Hate to break it to you, but most fans who I'm aware of (I'm a STH since day one) aren't like Brooklyn, etc., and think they have a clue and all this insight and "inside sources". They just want someone who will do a good job.

It's not only about name recognition. It's about reversing this losing culture that has been instilled here for the past four years and I just don't believe you fix that with someone who was on that same staff. I think this team needs new eyes and a new vision... some outsider perspective. 

But what do I know? I'm just a dumb fan. And a STH as well.

Quote:With all due respect, Shad Khan doesn't care what you want. And do you really think Kyle Shanahan,and this wonderful marketing, will lead to thousands of new season tickets being sold? He, and marketing, may sell a hundred new season tickets and that's probably because new people are moving into the area every year.

Khan has already shown he's not concerned with short term revenue (and the real money in the NFL comes from television revenue); when he first bought the team he and Lamping made it clear that blackouts would not be an issue - i.e., he'd buy up whatever tickets he had to to avoid a blackout. Now that the blackout policy is no more it means that Khan is saving money.

I think Shad Khan is looking long term. Go with who you think is best and move on. I don't think he's about to have his marketing department do a fan poll as to who should be hired. Otherwise they'd have announced the hiring of Old Tom by now.
Your missing the point, its not just ticket sales that I'm talking about. Nobody said hiring Shanahan is going to create 40 thousand in ticket sales. Im saying that from a marketing standpoint which is more than just ticket sales, your going to have a tough time selling to the fan base "hey, I know we went 3-13, but we just hired his assistant go take his place and lead us to the promise land". Isnt going to work that way, your going to get a ton of negative feedback and honestly, it looks bad. 

Personally, it would be a stupid decision. I hope we go a different direction.