Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Quote:Ok, I'll make a quick cameo to ask the actual question that is being begged. Why in the world have you all had to spend the last 10 pages arguing about Marrone? We have had him on our staff for two years now, under potentially the worst HC of all time. Out of all of the HC options to be discussing Marrone should be the one that there should be absolutely zero questions about. 

He should have had a sample size of at least half the season, and instead of bickering about him there should be a clear "yes he truly turned the team around" or "no the common short interim spike is all it was."

We only have our front office to blame for having so much obfuscation when it comes to the only candidate that we should have a perfectly clear picture about. Especially if he is possibly the leading candidate as many think. It's truly bewildering. 

well clearly here we have a man of his word, folks. he said he wasnt gonna post here again and he sure hasnt. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Considering it seems the Broncos job is Vance Joseph's in waiting, my prediction of Shanahan being the hire is the most likely scenario. I believe Marrone is a fallback option if Shanahan doesn't take the job.

For one thing, his offenses have been top 10 every year for 5 out of the last 6 years.

Thats how I feel too. At least I sure hope so.

If i was Khan id definitely leave the options open for these top coaches to pick a gm of their choosing in the event dave gets fired for added security.

Quote:If i was Khan id definitely leave the options open for these top coaches to pick a gm of their choosing in the event dave gets fired for added security.

you would give one of your employees the power to pick his own boss? doesnt seem like a good idea. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Considering it seems the Broncos job is Vance Joseph's in waiting, my prediction of Shanahan being the hire is the most likely scenario. I believe Marrone is a fallback option if Shanahan doesn't take the job.

For one thing, his offenses have been top 10 every year for 5 out of the last 6 years.

That makes sense, which is (likely) why the Vegas sharps have bet heavily on Shanahan to the Jags, one can only hope

Quote:I think Marrone has a good shot. General Managers, like everyone else, have a hard time admitting they were completely wrong about anything. Firing the entire coaching staff and starting over with all new systems and maybe a new QB would mean Caldwell would have to admit he was wrong about everything. That's why there will be some bias towards continuity. Especially if Caldwell thought the team was close to turning the corner and only fired Gus reluctantly.

That said, that doesn't mean Marrone will be a bad head coach. I wouldn't mind him all that much. He's about my third choice.

Another reason Caldwell needed to be gone as well.

We need someone with objective eyes to look at the talent and coaching staff on this team before proceeding.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Blake will eventually get Dave fired. Next year is pretty much a wash season. The next coach could be looking at a 1 year term once the new gm comes in

Lot of posts to this thread since the last time I glanced at it and didn't want to read it all.  Apologies if this has been stated already, but a Marrone hire might be inevitable since Caldwell has apparently been retained.  Other prospective coaches may not want to come here knowing that Caldwell could be gone in a year or two which would likely mean the end to said coach's career here as well.  In other words, if you're keeping Caldwell you might not have many real options at coach outside of Marrone.  

If that ends up being the case, it's probably an "all in" one season deal for Marrone, Caldwell and Bortles which means we'd likely be cleaning house next year with the exception of key pieces that would play well regardless of scheme.  Considering the lack of talent at the the QB position in this years draft, this approach could make sense on several levels. It would be a tough sell to a significant portion of the fan base however.  

Quote:Lot of posts to this thread since the last time I glanced at it and didn't want to read it all. Apologies if this has been stated already, but a Marrone hire might be inevitable since Caldwell has apparently been retained. Other prospective coaches may not want to come here knowing that Caldwell could be gone in a year or two which would likely mean the end to said coach's career here as well. In other words, if you're keeping Caldwell you might not have many real options at coach outside of Marrone.

If that ends up being the case, it's probably an "all in" one season deal for Marrone, Caldwell and Bortles which means we'd likely be cleaning house next year with the exception of key pieces that would play well regardless of scheme. Considering the lack of talent at the the QB position in this years draft, this approach could make sense on several levels. It would be a tough sell to a significant portion of the fan base however.

I dont think this is the case tbh. Most coaches only get two years unless theres a big rebuild if the teams performance is poor. Our talent level and division should mean we should be ready to start competing.

Look at NYJ, they nearly fired Bowles and he had a worse QB situation than us and went 10-6 last year.

You think if a coach goes to SD and fails gor 2 years he'll grt a 3rd? You think Bills will give new coach 3 yrs after firing Rex who went .500 for 2 years? Whoever goes to LA is stuck with Goff for 2 years at least. If he fails you fail.

Only better situation is Denver, but expectations there are going to be SB contender.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017, 01:38 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

Some  pointers.

1. If Dave job is on the line.  Why do people thing Blake is the only qb we will have come next year? 

2. The raiders will not beat Houston with a back up qb. 

3. When all is said and done don't count out Tom. (still believe will be here)

4. If you are a threat to your boss.  Why would someone validate your ideas if you could be his replacement?

5.Anyone who thinks we will have a new HC in place by end of this weekend or beginning of next week is mistaken. 

6.Until Official announcements of filled HC.  The Jaguars will have no rush to fill that one.  Which leads to 7.

7.Nothing could be filled by any team through most of the playoffs. And no team would end up behind the rest of the nfl. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017, 01:47 PM by JackCity.)

Shanahan/McDaniels is gonna stay with their team instead of becoming a HC this year

Quote:Shanahans/McDaniels is gonna stay with their team instead of becoming a HC this year

Highly doubt it unless you have proof.

Quote:Shanahans/McDaniels is gonna stay with their team instead of becoming a HC this year
Disagree.  This would be a great year for both to find teams.  Plenty of options and teams to build upon.  

#Gojags

Quote:Highly doubt it unless you have proof.

Just an opinion my man.

Quote:Some  pointers.

1. If Dave job is on the line.  Why do people thing Blake is the only qb we will have come next year? 

2. The raiders will not beat Houston with a back up qb. 

3. When all is said and done don't count out Tom. (still believe will be here)

4. If you are a threat to your boss.  Why would someone validate your ideas if you could be his replacement?

5.Anyone who thinks we will have a new HC in place by end of this weekend or beginning of next week is mistaken. 

6.Until Official announcements of filled HC.  The Jaguars will have no rush to fill that one.  Which leads to 7.

7.Nothing could be filled by any team through most of the playoffs. And no team would end up behind the rest of the nfl.

Dave's job isn't on the line.

Houston should win, but their QB situation could actually be worse than Oaklands.

Count Tom out. They've moved on.

Nobody is "threatening the boss" here.

We will see. If the other teams we are competing with start hiring coaches, things could fall into place very quickly. It depends on how the interviews have been going.

If the team has a pecking order for how they're ranking the candidates, and someone they covet looks like they might be on the verge of being hired elsewhere, the sense of urgency will change.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The only way that happens is if neither is offered a job. That's not gonna happen. Both will be head coaches in the next few weeks.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Disagree. This would be a great year for both to find teams. Plenty of options and teams to build upon.

Not sure the choices are that great outside of the Broncos job. Both have great situations to fall back on and go again next year.

Quote:Some  pointers.

Because Bortles is "his guy" and it's possible he'll double down on the bet, risking his own employment on the back of Bortles.

Dave said "no one is safe" including himself.

To me that's just talk until we see what he actually does about QB competition in the offseason.

That's starting to be his legacy... talk.  Talking in hindsight trying to distance himself from the Bradley choice, spinning about how "we" are all accountable when only a few pay for the sins.  Talking about how he's only been associated with winners and that's what he wants here but has failed to so far.  It's been a lot of talk and not much to show for it.

If he makes the right choice and has a turnaround, then he's successfully talked his way out of responsibility for the Gus years.  If not, then he's just as responsible and we'll see if his smooth talking can survive anything less than a quick turnaround next season.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Not sure the choices are that great outside of the Broncos job. Both have great situations to fall back on and go again next year.
The Broncos situation looks great in the short term. 

In the long term. LA is an exciting new fan base, SF Is on total rebuild mode.  Jax has many pieces in places that could end up playoff runs for along time. 

These options other then total rebuild do not happen every year. 

#Gojags

Quote:The only way that happens is if neither is offered a job. That's not gonna happen. Both will be head coaches in the next few weeks.

I'm saying either Shanahan or McDaniels will return to their team. Think it will most likely be Shanahan if he doesn't land the Broncos job.