Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Quote:McDaniels would be my choice.

I think I'd take Haley over Smith too. Smith would only be and OK hire imo.

You must be a fan of watching things burn whilst in a dumpster. I too find this enjoyable, but gimme Smitty over both those guys.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Ian Rapoport – Verified account ‏@RapSheet

Storyline to watch: The contract for #Raiders OL coach Mike Tice, the man behind 3 Pro Bowlers, is up. OAK’s priority will be to keep him.

A name to keep in mind. Could be of interest to Mike Smith.

That bum sure has made a lot of money off of JDRs back.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2017, 05:19 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:Draft Cook, trade Yeldon problem solved.

David Caldwell isn't an idiot, there's absolutely no way the Jags draft a RB at 4, especially in a draft with ELITE defensive talent at the top. Ezekiel Elliot has received a lot of hype this season running behind one of the best offensive lines in history, his stat line 322 carries 1632 yards 5.1 ypc is impressive, but how much better are his stats (and Zeke in general) than a guy like Jordan Howard? (252 carries 1313 yards 5.1 YPC) Zeke was taken 4th overall while Howard was taken in the 5th round, both guys are foundational RB's who'll likely make multiple pro bowls. This is the reason you don't invest high draft picks into the RB position, these guys are a dime a dozen, it's more difficult to find an elite edge rusher later in the draft than a RB. The top of the draft is all about selecting ELITE talent at PREMIUM positions.

Quote:Lol, two big plays in 2 years.

And that 61 yard reception should've been a touchdown but he literally ran out of juice

Hence why I mentioned his breakaway speed earlier.

I was only saying that he HAS made some big plays. I like him as a #2. I like the Ivory/Yeldon combo when Ivory doesn't fumble
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Well Vance Joseph is now available so maybe things may pick up by mid week

Quote:Hence why I mentioned his breakaway speed earlier.

I was only saying that he HAS made some big plays. I like him as a #2. I like the Ivory/Yeldon combo when Ivory doesn't fumble

I like TJ overall but more as a backup and 3rd down guy that comes in and gives you solid pass protection and can catch the dumpoffs for 5 yard gains, etc.

I do think that overall - we need a RB that other teams scheme for.  We need a RB that routinely puts pressure on defenders and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.  TJ Isn't that and he never will be.  I think he was wildly overdrafted - and I think Dave and the coaching staff realized that as well - there is no other explanation than that... otherwise why would you spend big money on a free agent RB the year after spending a 2nd round pick on a RB?

Fact is, Dave has tried hard to get a good running game going - but he does not know how to evaluate RBs apparently.  

He drafted:

Denard Robinson

Storm Johnson

T.J. Yeldon

Signed:

Toby Gerhart

Chris Ivory

This list above is my argument as to why you should take an elite RB talent like Cook or Fournette (I prefer Cook) if you get a chance.

Getting these mid-round guys and free agents isn't working for Dave.  

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:David Caldwell isn't an idiot, there's absolutely no way the Jags draft a RB at 4, especially in a draft with ELITE defensive talent at the top. Ezekiel Elliot has received a lot of hype this season running behind one of the best offensive lines in history, his stat line 322 carries 1632 yards 5.1 ypc is impressive, but how much better are his stats (and Zeke in general) than a guy like Jordan Howard? (252 carries 1313 yards 5.1 YPC) Zeke was taken 4th overall while Howard was taken in the 5th round, both guys are foundational RB's who'll likely make multiple pro bowls. This is the reason you don't invest high draft picks into the RB position, these guys are a dime a dozen, it's more difficult to find an elite edge rusher later in the draft than a RB. The top of the draft is all about selecting ELITE talent at PREMIUM positions.

Meh. This draft doesn't have much elite talent outside of Myles Garrett. Everyone else is pretty much equally level. Allen, Hooker, Adams, Robinson, Fournette, Cook. Etc.

Unless you're drafting Garrett, you're just choosing a name out of the hat. With that said I would go with the best chance to succeed name from the hat.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

One of the reasons im high on LF is his ability to break tackles and he is a physical runner that can punish a defense

Quote:Meh. This draft doesn't have much elite talent outside of Myles Garrett. Everyone else is pretty much equally level. Allen, Hooker, Adams, Robinson, Fournette, Cook. Etc.

Unless you're drafting Garrett, you're just choosing a name out of the hat. With that said I would go with the best chance to succeed name from the hat.

I disagree with you about the elite talent in the draft. Garrett's the best, but it's not him and a 2013 level of prospects coming out.

Quote:I like TJ overall but more as a backup and 3rd down guy that comes in and gives you solid pass protection and can catch the dumpoffs for 5 yard gains, etc.

I do think that overall - we need a RB that other teams scheme for. We need a RB that routinely puts pressure on defenders and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. TJ Isn't that and he never will be. I think he was wildly overdrafted - and I think Dave and the coaching staff realized that as well - there is no other explanation than that... otherwise why would you spend big money on a free agent RB the year after spending a 2nd round pick on a RB?

Fact is, Dave has tried hard to get a good running game going - but he does not know how to evaluate RBs apparently.

He drafted:

Denard Robinson

Storm Johnson

T.J. Yeldon

Signed:

Toby Gerhart

Chris Ivory

This list above is my argument as to why you should take an elite RB talent like Cook or Fournette (I prefer Cook) if you get a chance.

Getting these mid-round guys and free agents isn't working for Dave.
agree with almost all of this

Quote:Meh. This draft doesn't have much elite talent outside of Myles Garrett. Everyone else is pretty much equally level. Allen, Hooker, Adams, Robinson, Fournette, Cook. Etc.

There are several prospects in this draft outside of Myles Garrett that are elite, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I think Cook is a fine player, but even if he grades evenly with a guy like Jon Allen, I'm taking Jon Allen everytime if both guys are on the board, and its not close

Quote:I disagree with you about the elite talent in the draft. Garrett's the best, but it's not him and a 2013 level of prospects coming out.

Exactly, I have no idea what he's talking about,, such a dumbfounding statement

Quote:One of the reasons im high on LF is his ability to break tackles and he is a physical runner that can punish a defense
Too bad he has trouble getting past the LOS unless there is a gigantic hole in front of him.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:I disagree with you about the elite talent in the draft. Garrett's the best, but it's not him and a 2013 level of prospects coming out.

It's not 2013 level but it's not a huge dearth of elite talent at the top of the draft either. Those other guys I listed are all good and better than the 2013 group. But let's not pretend that they are elite.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2017, 05:58 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:There are several prospects in this draft outside of Myles Garrett that are elite, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I think Cook is a fine player, but even if he grades evenly with a guy like Jon Allen, I'm taking Jon Allen everytime if both guys are on the board, and its not close
Hey, that's your choice and opinion. I'm sure there will be a GM who decides to do the opposite and that will be his choice.

I don't think the Cowboys are at home saying "Damn we could've had Howard in the 5th." Because of some dumb rule you've came up with.

lol. Allen is probably a better prospect than Garrett. In fact, the only guys you listed there that aren't "elite" prospects are probably Robinson and Fournette.

Allen is a double digit interior rusher and can bend the edge like 250lbs linebacker, i.e. elite prospect.

Hooker has range for days

Adams can have an impact similar to Collins at SS

Fournette might be a better back than Zeke

And you didn't even bring up Tim Williams who might be a better pure rusher than Garrett

So your claim that no one in this draft is elite outside Garrett is ludicrous.

Quote:It's not 2013 level but it's not a huge dearth of elite talent at the top of the draft either. Those other guys I listed are all good and better than the 2013 group. But let's not pretend that they are elite.

Allen looks pretty darn close to elite.

Quote:It's not 2013 level but it's not a huge dearth of elite talent at the top of the draft either. Those other guys I listed are all good and better than the 2013 group. But let's not pretend that they are elite.
I don't think you know what you're talking about.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2017, 06:06 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Allen looks pretty darn close to elite.

So to play along we'll add 2 "elite" prospects. Is this now the deepest draft ever? Still looks pretty much even to me.

Quote:Too bad he has trouble getting past the LOS unless there is a gigantic hole in front of him.
its clear you havent seen much of LF