Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

What are these "smoke screens" people are talking about?

The Jaguars are signaling nothing, as they aren't even commenting on interviews or candidate names at all.

Reporters and talking heads are making all this noise, and it has nothing to do with how the club feels about anyone.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Before we conclude it is in fact mike smith. who other then him could it have been?   That no one is talking bout?
Patricia, but when we never actually interviewed him unless it somehow was under wraps like no other HC candidate out there.

Mike Smith was the only defensive guy we interviewed. Dominik used to be a GM in TB and has connections. Mike Smith was the DC for TB this year. It's pretty obvious it's him at this point.

The coordinators like McDaniels and Shanahan dont want to go to a situation thats got no security. Think about it, Shanahan has never been a head coach, theres a good chance we dont turn this around in a  year which likely leads to Caldwell out the door. Means the coaches job is in jeopardy. A young and upcoming coordinator doesnt want to take that risk. McDaniels already failed once as a head coach, you dont get too many second chances. He wants the perfect situation to pry himself away a sweet gig of being Tom Bradys OC. 

Jags need an experienced coached that can get this thing turned around quickly and instal a winning culture. Mike Smith has a track record of winning and is very familiar with the Organization and Caldwell. 

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 12:28 AM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:What are these "smoke screens" people are talking about?

The Jaguars are signaling nothing, as they aren't even commenting on interviews or candidate names at all.

Reporters and talking heads are making all this noise, and it has nothing to do with how the club feels about anyone.
Dominik was the former GM in TB that likely still has friends in the organization. Mike Smith was the DC in TB. I'm sure Smith has told everyone their that he's gone. 

If it was a guy in the local media or some random dude that isn't Schefty/Breer/Rappaport, etc. than ok. Just think a guy with ties to TB would likely be a solid course.

Quote:Mike Smith is perfect for the Jaguars. Mediocre at best. Fits them like a glove.

Screw this team as hard as possible.

He's the best man for the job. Had great success everywhere has been in the NFL.

Quote:Has smith ran a 3-4 before as HC. Yes
Every 3-4 is the same.
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:Fact of the matter is, not many HC's in their first gig get it done. Mike Smith was the 2nd fastest HC to 60 wins, multiple double digit winning seasons, turned around a bad situation when he stepped in their into a great one, etc. 

Like I said before when I had this discussion, if that's mediocre, sign me up right now.
Exactly.

Quote:What are these "smoke screens" people are talking about?

Exactly. There isn't even any need for smokescreens, this isn't the freaking draft.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 12:31 AM by Tuxedo.)

If anyone is thinking he'd bring Wade Phillips, I wouldn't hold your breath. He switched to a 3-4 and let Mike Nolan run the defense because the unit played bad in his first six years as head coach. He'll likely want to run something more familiar at least at the start of his tenure, should he end up getting the job here of course.

However, I could see him luring a pretty decent OC, like Mike McCoy, since it will truly be their offense and they can mold it how they see fit.

What other quality OC are there that's available other than McCoy?

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 12:33 AM by JackCity.)

Quote:Every 3-4 is the same.

Just fact checked myself an I'm actually wrong. It was mostly a 4-3 even with Mike Nolan in the later years.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 12:35 AM by pirkster.)

Quote:Fact of the matter is, not many HC's in their first gig get it done. Mike Smith was the 2nd fastest HC to 60 wins, multiple double digit winning seasons, turned around a bad situation when he stepped in their into a great one, etc. 

Like I said before when I had this discussion, if that's mediocre, sign me up right now.

Yes, they do.  Look back at the last fifteen years or so.  Most winners won in their first or second HC job.  That's not counting the first HC gig guys that got there but lost.

31 of 32 fail to win it every year.  Those that do win it are usually in their first or second HC job.

The coaches to avoid are those who have already had more than one NFL HC gig.  Only two in recent times have done it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Su...ad_coaches

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 12:37 AM by JackCity.)

Quote:What other quality OC are there that's available other than McCoy?
I don't know if I like him but Mike Shula was on the staff with Mike Smith here. He's the Panthers OC.

Mike Tice was the assistant HC here then. He's the Raiders OLine coach.

Bill Musgrave was Smiths QB coach in Atlanta, hes the Raiders OC.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 12:40 AM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:Yes, they do.  Look back at the last fifteen years or so.  Most winners won in their first or second HC job.  That's not counting the first HC gig guys that got there but lost.

31 of 32 fail to win it every year.  Those that do win it are usually in their first or second HC job.

The coaches to avoid are those who have already had more than one NFL HC gig.  Only two in recent times have done it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Su...ad_coaches
Pete Carroll, Bill Belichek, Gary Kubiak, and Tom Coughlin are just ones off the top of my head.

The guys that have major success the first time around are guys like McCarthy, Tomlin, Patyon, etc. who had elite level QB's right away. 

Sure, there is going to be some good first time HC's. I'm not saying there isn't. The point I'm making is most that are first time flame out. I mean just in 2013 we saw guys like Gus Bradley, Chip Kelly, Marc Trestman, Mike McCoy, Rob Chudzinsky, and Doug Marrone (good HC that just left a poor situation).

Sure, you also have Bruce Arians, but the majority of 1st time HC's flame out. I believe in a 2nd time HC who had major success his first time around much more than a huge risk like that again.

Quote:What other quality OC are there that's available other than McCoy?

Not sure about the quality here, but some offensive minds potentially available:

Norv Turner

Greg Roman

Ken Whisenhunt

Mike Tice

Mark Trestman

Chip Kelly

Anthony Lynn (maybe)

Rich Dennison (maybe)

Doug Marrone (lol)

Maybe he'll just keep Hackett.

The only guy on that list I like maybe is Whisenhunt.

Now Chip Might be interesting cause plays to Bortles strengths.   I am sure has no ties with Mike Smith though. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Chip is finna be the new Cal HC.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 12:50 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

Only reason mentioned him .  Cause marcus and Blake style is similar. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Obviously there's OC's I like more than others, but Mike Smith has killed his OC hires when he's had to do it. Feel good about his ability to find one. Plus, the interview with Mike Smith he likely brought a list of top OC's he wanted, and obviously the org. must have liked what they saw...I mean there's a reason why we only looked at one defensive guy and mostly offensive...we need offensive help.