Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Post #240
Only a chump boos the home team!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Post #240

It was said, yes. But, to be fair, he did say elite in college...

After thinking about this more and as much as I want Mack, do y'all think we will pay him that much to prevent Cleveland from matching? I think they are bluffing the part saying they'll match anything; just to keep offers from being made. But do we really want to spend that much? I want to get him badly, but now thinking on it a day or so, do we really need to pay that much? I have a feeling Caldwell is thinking on how to do it, but I don't think they will submit an offer because of how much they would have to pay him. Mack is fine with it, but I don't see us doing it in the end.

GO JAGS!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:It was said, yes. But, to be fair, he did say elite in college...

Well yes - elite in college but undrafted doesn't make any sense, does it?

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Well yes - elite in college but undrafted doesn't make any sense, does it?

No, just trying to plays devil's advocate I guess.

Seriously......I really don't see us going to pony up the big bucks for Mack....maybe we make a run at him next year

Quote:After thinking about this more and as much as I want Mack, do y'all think we will pay him that much to prevent Cleveland from matching? I think they are bluffing the part saying they'll match anything; just to keep offers from being made. But do we really want to spend that much? I want to get him badly, but now thinking on it a day or so, do we really need to pay that much? I have a feeling Caldwell is thinking on how to do it, but I don't think they will submit an offer because of how much they would have to pay him. Mack is fine with it, but I don't see us doing it in the end.

GO JAGS!
I think there is definitely some bluffing going on. Of course Cleveland wants him. Otherwise they wouldn't have put the transitional tag on him. How far do they go? Who knows. Typically that tag is enough to keep other teams at bay. I'd like to see him in Jax as well, but there has got to be a point to where it would be just flat out ridiculous to sign him. Caldwell, no doubt has his numbers. At this point I think it is more of a feeler. Hey I like you you like us, what's Cleveland's hand in this? Caldwell may not even throw an offer out there. But if he does I'm sure he won't mortgage the future on him.

Alex Mack might actually be the best center in football so there is no arguing a signing. But if its for a crazy contract, id rather go with Brewster. He was a very good center at Ohio state and works better in tight quarters than at guard.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Alex Mack might actually be the best center in football so there is no arguing a signing. But if its for a crazy contract, id rather go with Brewster. He was a very good center at Ohio state and works better in tight quarters than at guard.

Its not your money..

We wont be in cap trouble..

In no alternate reality is starting Brewster over Mack a good idea.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

would you rather have Mack and lose 2-3 of your best players already on the roster? Or say use Brewster for a year if need be and draft someone like hroniss grasu or a more reasonable FA next season and keep those that need new contracts??

Quote:Its not your money..

We wont be in cap trouble..

In no alternate reality is starting Brewster over Mack a good idea.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:After thinking about this more and as much as I want Mack, do y'all think we will pay him that much to prevent Cleveland from matching? I think they are bluffing the part saying they'll match anything; just to keep offers from being made. But do we really want to spend that much? I want to get him badly, but now thinking on it a day or so, do we really need to pay that much? I have a feeling Caldwell is thinking on how to do it, but I don't think they will submit an offer because of how much they would have to pay him. Mack is fine with it, but I don't see us doing it in the end.

GO JAGS!
Yes Caldwell should go all in on Mack for 2 reasons: First, for the people who say we shouldn't overpay for him who is on this current roster who's contract is coming up worth keeping at this point? Most of our players are already locked up or on their rookie deals which aren't expiring anytime soon. Lastly and the most important point is this Caldwell is going to draft his young qb and he want to protect his most important investment by putting him in the best position to succeed in the NFL.Therefore, if that means overpaying for a couple of lineman in free agency because if they do their jobs right and his qb flourished in the NFL it would be all worth it. Let me ask everyone this so if you brought a brand new car is you clear need insurance are you going to overpay for a top notch insurance but with full coverage benefits like State Farm or Allstate or go to a cut rate insurance like Florida No Fault and settle for P.I.P and hope nothing happen to your brand new car? Now answer this question about your own situation and now put yourself in Caldwell shoes.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Sign Mack to a big contract and you can cut Lewis/Poz and they are relatively easy to replace.  You strengthen the O-line end up with a better salary cap situation going forward. 

Quote:would you rather have Mack and lose 2-3 of your best players already on the roster? Or say use Brewster for a year if need be and draft someone like hroniss grasu or a more reasonable FA next season and keep those that need new contracts??
Like I said, we have a lot of cap room and the cap will continue to rise.

We won't have to lose any of our top players.

Quote:Sign Mack to a big contract and you can cut Lewis/Poz and they are relatively easy to replace. You strengthen the O-line end up with a better salary cap situation going forward.

They are not cutting either one.
;

;

Quote:I guess I don't understand how the Jaguars can structure a tax incentive contract when taxes are not considered in the contract. Mack still pays state taxes in the states he plays a game in. I am uncertain how the London game(s) work out.

I do understand the lack of state taxes being an incentive, but I am suspicious of a 15% difference without seeing the breakdown of the numbers. The Jaguars players still play six games in states that collect takes from them for the most part.
Unless things are completely for an NFL player, that's incorrect. A person's tax status depends simply upon his state of residence along with the state of employment. If both are Florida, which they would be in this case, he isn't subject to any state taxes.

Plus, if they did that to football players, you can bet your bottom dollar that they're doing it to people on business trips and things of the sort. I know for a fact that they don't do that. Hell, could you imagine the nightmare that would make for filing taxes if you're an airline pilot?

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Unless things are completely for an NFL player, that's incorrect. A person's tax status depends simply upon his state of residence along with the state of employment. If both are Florida, which they would be in this case, he isn't subject to any state taxes.

Plus, if they did that to football players, you can bet your bottom dollar that they're doing it to people on business trips and things of the sort. I know for a fact that they don't do that. Hell, could you imagine the nightmare that would make for filing taxes if you're an airline pilot?

They do it for pro athletes. Just because it doesn't seem right doesn't mean it isn't.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Enroute to Manziel

Lets hope so..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I kinda skimmed through this topic, so I might have missed it after your post, but I didn't see anyone answer your question. According to PFT (I know, I know. "PFT, more like pfffffffffttttttt") the "poison pill" was abolished under the new CBA.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-from-cba/

Thanks. I knew they weren't really in favour among teams anyway, but good to see they're eliminated. With that pointer I found the relevant wording:

Quote:Notwithstanding Subsections (i) and (ii) above, no Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills').

Of course, technically that makes an awful lot of incentives difficult to associate with a contract, but the spirit of it makes sense at least.

Quote:Unless things are completely for an NFL player, that's incorrect. A person's tax status depends simply upon his state of residence along with the state of employment. If both are Florida, which they would be in this case, he isn't subject to any state taxes.

I may have mis-read you on this.

If I remermber correctly, NFL players are paid in 17 weekly installments with signing, roster and other bonus handeled by contract designation. Usually a bonus is paid on signing day, first day of league year. Said players pay taxes in each taxing location they play. If Jags play Cincy in Week 4, they pay Ohio/Cincy taxes on the amount of wk 4 paycheck. They are non residents (NR) of Ohio, earning taxable income in the State for that week. I do not know what arrangements were worked out with the U.K. for the London Team. This creates a small mountain of paperwork for the teams and playersto be filled, usually handeled by agent or accountant of the player.  There is actually a tax program written expressly for professional athletes and the locations taxed.  Do you remember Wayne Weaver saying that the day after rookie signing, looking out in the player parking lot that the auto dealers in Jax should take him to Ruth's Chris at least once a week for the year.

Taxing Authorities are not going to let that income escape.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:would you rather have Mack and lose 2-3 of your best players already on the roster?

What?