Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM by Ronster.)

Quote:Joeckel - Beadles - Mack - (?) - Pasztor (?)

Potentially a very good O-Line to protect our quarterback. I'd love to see us get Mack as that should solve the center position for a long time.

Ya, but with that ugly QB Henne we would still suck. I cannot stand Henne, he has no business being an NFL QB.... 

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

When will we know if a contract has been offered or signed?

I don't expect it to last very long before we hear something.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Ya, but with that ugly QB Henne we would still suck. I cannot stand Henne, he has no business being an NFL QB.... 
He's better than Gabbert.....

Quote:He's better than Gabbert.....

I wish that made it better, but it doesn't.

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:When will we know if a contract has been offered or signed?

I don't expect it to last very long before we hear something.

Well, we have to hear something in the next few weeks, as the deadlines for other teams making an offer to transition players arrives prior to the draft, IIRC. 

OK  ya'll are not happy with Henne.  We got that.

But he is a backup, a place holder till we get a QB.

Management didn't
think that the available pool offered any upgrade/value.

He knows the system and is going to be here till outplayed.

If we let him go, someone would have signed him for backup.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 01:36 PM by empty.)

Quote:If I remember correctly, 2013 did not count as a year for Blackmon due to him only playing in four games. I know that he did not accrue a season towards his veteran standing, but I'm not sure if that affects his contract or not. With as many hooks as Smith reportedly put into Blackmon's contract, it would surprise me if this was not the case.

Spotrac claims he is still an UFA after the 2015 season, but one site I found claims he would be a RFA if he did in fact not get an accrued season in 2013.

http://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/0...d-seasons/

No idea if/how it applies to Blackmon.

Of course I would like Mack but I don't want it to be a ridiculous contract that might limit us within the next few years. What I did like about this news is that they are interested in picking up a starting center in FA. Brian de la Puente has since signed with the Bears though so I'm not really seeing any other good options. I just hate to go into the draft with 2 glaring holes on the line that absolutely have to be addressed.

Quote:Spotrac claims he is still an UFA after the 2015 season, but one site I found claims he would be a RFA if he did in fact not get an accrued season in 2013.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-credited-vs-accrued-seasons/'>http://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-credited-vs-accrued-seasons/</a>

No idea if/how it applies to Blackmon.

So his contract will run out but he will not become an unrestricted FA. We can slap him with any tender we want, even 1st round if he is able to get his career back on track and play like he is capable of.

Quote:So his contract will run out but he will not become an unrestricted FA. We can slap him with any tender we want, even 1st round if he is able to get his career back on track and play like he is capable of.

Man I sure hope Blackmon gets on track. Such a great talent and sad thing is he's a good guy just obviously has addiction issues.

Quote:Of course I would like Mack but I don't want it to be a ridiculous contract that might limit us within the next few years. What I did like about this news is that they are interested in picking up a starting center in FA. Brian de la Puente has since signed with the Bears though so I'm not really seeing any other good options. I just hate to go into the draft with 2 glaring holes on the line that absolutely have to be addressed.

This team isn't going to be strapped with a burdensome contract. They have a lot of cap space to work with. Any deal would be structured to take advantage.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Of course I would like Mack but I don't want it to be a ridiculous contract that might limit us within the next few years. What I did like about this news is that they are interested in picking up a starting center in FA. Brian de la Puente has since signed with the Bears though so I'm not really seeing any other good options. I just hate to go into the draft with 2 glaring holes on the line that absolutely have to be addressed.

How much do you think they are going to pay him? They will still have a lot of cap room.

;

;

Quote:How much do you think they are going to pay him? They will still have a lot of cap room.
I know, one contract for him isn't going to get us into cap issues. But it might prevent us from signing another couple players like Clemons/Bryant like we did this year. It just cones down to do you want multiple impact players or one all pro?

IDK, with the cap expanding thru 16/17, the current salary structure of the team, several players due amounts in the final year of their contract that possibly their replacements are here or to be drafted and the importance of the position of Center in a Pass-Centric NFL it would make sense to secure the services of one of the best.

I remember when the pecking order of importance was QB, LT, RB, DE, WR.

The Center is becoming more and more important to a cohesive O-Line to protect your QB.

Will be interesting to see the offer

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Quote:I know, one contract for him isn't going to get us into cap issues. But it might prevent us from signing another couple players like Clemons/Bryant like we did this year. It just cones down to do you want multiple impact players or one all pro?
You're acting like they're spending your money.  You can't live in fear of what might happen a couple of years down the road and allow that to drive the decision making process, especially if you don't know for certain what's going to happen with the cap 2 or 3 years down the road.

You make smart decisions in free agency, and then you draft well.  Signing a guy like Mack shouldn't take anything into consideration beyond whether the team can afford him, is he an upgrade, and is he a good fit.  If the answer is yes, then you pull the trigger.  If Cleveland matches that offer, so be it.  At least they're looking at their options here.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If we sign Mack I doubt we draft a center or combo guard, which I think would be a shame.

Quote:If we sign Mack I doubt we draft a center or combo guard, which I think would be a shame.

I don't think one would impact the other.  The team will still have a need at the Guard position, and having a guy who can play G or C makes him even more valuable in the event something happens to Mack.  I'd be shocked if they didn't draft a C/G at some point.

Quote:Unless things are completely for an NFL player, that's incorrect. A person's tax status depends simply upon his state of residence along with the state of employment. If both are Florida, which they would be in this case, he isn't subject to any state taxes.

Plus, if they did that to football players, you can bet your bottom dollar that they're doing it to people on business trips and things of the sort. I know for a fact that they don't do that. Hell, could you imagine the nightmare that would make for filing taxes if you're an airline pilot?

I realize it sounds preposterous, but it is quite literally fact. NFL players can pay state, and local taxes in up to nine different states for the regular season. They are able to deduct those cost on both their own state tax filing (if applicable), as well as their federal tax filing. In most cases the tax rate for an NFL player playing a game in a state he does not reside in is adjusted to a non resident higher tax rate. Which means if Mack plays for the Jaguars, and list his main residence as being in Florida, he could, and most likely would have a higher state, and local tax rate than the players on the opposing home team.

I was not disputing that there are tax savings for an NFL player that plays for a team in a state with no state taxes, I was considering what that difference would be in Mack's case in particular between playing in Ohio, or playing in Florida. The posted 15% calculations seemed to negate the taxes from games played in states that do collect state, and local taxes from opposing NFL players. In addition, the overall difference in cumulative tax considerations that were posted didn't appear to take into account the deductible relief from federal, state, and local taxes, nor the elevated tax rate for being an out of state worker.

I understand this may not seem to make “common” sense, but it is absolutely pinky swear true.

That's very intriguing but I don't think it's true.  I thought athletes pay tax in their state of residence.  That's why people like Tiger Woods move to Florida -- to escape the California State tax.

I need to gather more information on the subject matter.

Quote:That's very intriguing but I don't think it's true. I thought athletes pay tax in their state of residence. That's why people like Tiger Woods move to Florida -- to escape the California State tax.

I need to gather more information on the subject matter.

Nope, they got taxed for the states they play games in.