Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Does anyone know this:

If the Jaguars submit an offer sheet and Cleveland decides to match, if Mack doesn't actually sign it can the Jaguars come back and make a counter offer?

Or do they even need him to sign it?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Well, smart guy, you are also holding on to mistakes made by previous regimes in Cleveland. We don't know that the new regime will ultimately blow this decision here, just because of past errors from other owners/ GM's, what not. 

Letting Mack walk, per the contract numbers being reported would be foolish by Cleveland. 
Man. Been off the board until recently. Nothings changed. Ironic too, as I'm listening to the Beatles and Fool on the Hill is playing.

Anyway. Put me in the 60/40 group. 60% back to the city where water catches fire. But fingers crossed. The team can use this guy, and break him in with the next new quarterback

Quote:Does anyone know this:

If the Jaguars submit an offer sheet and Cleveland decides to match, if Mack doesn't actually sign it can the Jaguars come back and make a counter offer?

Good question..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Mack has to sign the offer sheet for Cleveland to match. Therefore, he would be binded to Cleveland if they match it.

GO JAGS!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 02:07 PM by AgentOrange.)

Iff Mack does not sign he is considered a hold-out. Neither Jacksonville nor any other team can make him any further offers. Mack is only permitted to submit one offer to the league office.

Quote:Iff Mack does not sign he is considered a hold-out. Neither Jacksonville nor any other team can make him any further offers. Mack is only permitted to submit one offer to the league office.

Then lets really see how bad he wants out of Cleveland..

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM by kenudo.)

I think Cleveland fans and Jags fans hate each because both teams have been terrible lately and are desperately trying to find another franchise who is worse. Difference is Browns have ALWAYS been terrible, and while they have a few promising young players, they have an inferior overall team, coaching staff and front office, oh also city, to the Jags. One of their best players would also prefer the Jags to them even though they drafted him and have been his home for the past handful of years.

Quote:Iff Mack does not sign he is considered a hold-out. Neither Jacksonville nor any other team can make him any further offers. Mack is only permitted to submit one offer to the league office.

So teams can submit multiple offers but Mack can only choose to sign one, and once he does the ball moves entirely into Cleveland's court?

If Cleveland matches, they retain his rights regardless.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

i agree that even the attempt is a huge positive. for a while jacksonville was the punch line for a lot of jokes about places that no one wants to play. my older brother used to make fun of them all the time but he called me last night actually giving props to the move to try and sign mack. the whole culture and perspective of jacksonville is on the upswing and i like it. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:i agree that even the attempt is a huge positive. for a while jacksonville was the punch line for a lot of jokes about places that no one wants to play. my older brother used to make fun of them all the time but he called me last night actually giving props to the move to try and sign mack. the whole culture and perspective of jacksonville is on the upswing and i like it.

That had a lot to do with passive ownership and an inept GM in my opinion..

Quote:Deflect when challenged.  Another typical maneuver once the ignorance is exposed.

You're really not smart enough to distinguish between your opinion and actual fact.   It's pretty funny actually.

Man FBT, being a little hard on the guy aint ya? Geez, we are all Jag fans here...

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

Quote:Man FBT, being a little hard on the guy aint ya? Geez, we are all Jag fans here...

I wouldn't assume that.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:If Cleveland matches, they retain his rights regardless.

And we'll see soon enough if they do.

After all, they said they'd match "immediately"...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:So teams can submit multiple offers but Mack can only choose to sign one, and once he does the ball moves entirely into Cleveland's court?

Correct.

Those browns fans are hilarious haha! What a bunch of losers!
Shock the world

Quote:Correct.

All right, thanks for the info!

Not trying to troll you guys.  Just wanted to see what the fans here are saying regarding Mack.   As with all boards, some very insightful things written and some just flat out goofy.   With what is leaking out about the contract, if the contract pays $20 million over first two years and then he voids the deal, the Browns are still at a lot less ($5M) than if they franchised him for 2 years.   Personally that would be quite fine for me as I think this does the Browns a favor and won't complain if he does walk in 2 years.  That money can go to "skill positions".

I've seen people say the Brown's were stupid to not franchise him.  The transition tag guaranteed him $10M right off and the Browns used the trasition tag with a little good faith and $1.5M savings from the franchise tag.   The thinking is that if they match an offer, Kevin (a pro's pro in the lockeroom, btw) can't feel cheated out of anything since the market set his value.  In the end, this is all about the money.  IT IS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY.  He's going to get paid a king's ransome for a center and will play just as hard in C-Town as he would in J-Ville if C-Town matches.  Mack is a pro, Joe Thomas is a close friend and how can anyone sulk at being the highest paid center in the history of the NFL?  As for wanting out of C-Town.  If he REALLY wanted out, he would sign the one year tender for $10M and do everything in his power to hit the bricks next year which C-Town would let happen.

Assuming what has been leaked is true to this point, I would say it is 90% certain the Browns match and will draft Mack's replacement this year or next unless there is some goofy stuff in that contract we haven't heard about.    Devil is in the details yet.    As for my personal opinion on giving a center $10M a year?   For one year, yeah, probably.   Longer?   No.  The guy is going to get overpaid by somone and in the end Jacksonville just made all linemen in the NFL do a happy dance.

As for the Browns message boards, I can only recommend one where there isn't expletives and has a super group of smart, friendly (for the most part) members.   www.dawgtalkers.net   You are welcome to come on over and discuss too.

Quote: 

As for the Browns message boards, I can only recommend one where there isn't expletives and has a super group of smart, friendly (for the most part) members.   www.dawgtalkers.net   You are welcome to come on over and discuss too.

First thing I see on that forum was:

"How many people are on a Jags board, 5, 6?"

Rolleyes

And?   Aren't we both interested in what the other side thinks?  If not, I wouldn't be here and you wouldn't have looked over there.