Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

I won't be too disappointed either way - whatever happens it appears our GM/owner has shown a real vision and willingness to do what it takes to go get it. Clearly the offer has given the Browns 'paws' (hehe) for thought, so it's no half baked effort here on Caldwells part. Let's see what plays out...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:yawn...

I have people PM me all the time talking about how they enjoy my posting. These aren't people I regularly converse with, so "fans" is probably accurate usage. 
Well ignorance can be amusing.. no offense. 

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 03:57 AM by Voltage-.)

Quote:Only in your head...

Fans...LOL!

Seriously, that is the funniest [BAD WORD REMOVED] ever.

I'm far from a TMD fan, but this forum would be a lot better if we didn't have moderators throwing out insults at members. For whatever that's worth. 

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM by no1jag.)

Quote:Reading all this, I felt like I was watching a pack of middle school bullies beating on some kid. If I was a Jacksonville jaguars fan reading that, dude id be embarrassed. I know on the Browns board we might cuss like sailors and make a few momma or [BLEEP] jokes, but we respect our fellow Browns fans. THE MAD DOG, if you ever want to talk football with some real fans, drop on by. You even have a name that will fit in......

There is an element of that, especially with a few people who should know better. But you're ignorant of the history behind it. TMD is a troll, pure and simple. He's admitted as much in the past, describing his posting style as his 'schtick'. He's one of those unfortunate individuals who gets off on thinking that he's cleverer than everyone else because he can pull their strings on a message board. Yes, there are some people who will now shout him down if he claims the sky is blue, and I can see how that looks a bit embarrassing for an outsider. But he has such a history on this board that the reaction most fans here have to him is understandable.

Actually, it is kind of an embarrassment that he gets this type of treatment - not because he doesn't deserve to be roundly mocked, but because the way some of these people react to him just feeds his ego.

Quote:I'm a Jags fan 100%. However, I usually post objectively regarding team matters. I have had stances in the past that criticize the team sometimes (usually where warranted) and this makes me a target around here. It is what it is. I'll never be a "company line" sort of poster.

So your a PESSIMIST...

Admittance is part of the healing process...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Jax is the 10th biggest market small market team......is that what you just said?.....

That attempt at a crafty comment still probably puts the Jags in the 29th or 30th market in the NFL, I'm guessing. 

I don't think you understand the meaning of a market.

Quote:Only in your head...

Fans...LOL!

Seriously, that is the funniest [BAD WORD REMOVED] ever.

A legend in his own mind.

This is probably about the only (pseudo) human interaction he gets daily.

He has the trolling thing down pat. Post some outlandish thing, get a rise out of the Jaguar fans, get the attention he needs.

Repeat every day....for ten years.

It's sort of sad if you think about it.

Quote:Rapoport reported late Thursday that the <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE'>Browns</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/454411732866187264'>have not made a decision</a> on whether they'll match the <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/jacksonvillejaguars/profile?team=JAC'>Jaguars</a>' offer. Sources in Cleveland indicate the team is "really mulling it over" and that the specifics of the offer has made the decision tougher than originally imagined.

NFL Media's Albert Breer earlier reported that Cleveland <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/454363699768086528'>planned to match</a> any deal for Mack, a notion supported by <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/profile?team=CLE'>Browns</a> owner Jimmy Haslam's <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340195/article/haslam-hints-browns-would-match-alex-mack-deal'>public statements</a>.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340444/article/alex-mack-to-sign-5year-42m-offer-sheet-with-jags'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340444/article/alex-mack-to-sign-5year-42m-offer-sheet-with-jags</a>
If I kept saying I was going to do something then changed my mind I'd say something similar. Not that I make a habit of going back on my word, but you know what I mean. It's like they said this to save face if they decide not to after repeatedly saying they'll match anything. I wonder how much Mack not wanting to be there factors into the equation.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 07:12 AM by no1jag.)

Quote:Exactly this. At a minimum the Browns keep their stalwart center for 2 more seasons. During that time Mack can guage whether or not things are on the upswing and restructure or opt out for free agency. Personally I can't Blame the guy for wanting to test the open water after 5 years, and I understand why The browns made the move they did by giving him the transition tag. At that point with the cap space Cleveland had, every team in the NFL knew they would have to pony up the big bucks just to have a shot. All the while Mack knew he was gonna get paid big time either way and that was all that mattered.

Also to the posters who think that if the Browns match, its gonna prevent them from re signing Hayden, Gordon etc... Runyon said it quite a few times, they will have plenty of space to do those deals. Farmer is no joke, he knows what he's doing.

I came to this site to see what the jags fans thought about the whole situation. I have read the last 20 or so pages in this thread and something really jumped out at me. When the first reports of a deal between Mack and the jags came out, THE MAD DOG made quite a few comments that were pretty much spot on. Granted, not every detail is out there yet, but the main issue THE MONEY is, and being reported by multiple sources on NFL.COM and just about every other sports site you can think of. The offer that the jags made just wasn't enough to get it done, and even if the Browns only have Mack for 2 more years, that offer saved them a few million. Then from that point quite a few of you went on to to just lambaste the dude for stating the obvious. Reading all this, I felt like I was watching a pack of middle school bullies beating on some kid. If I was a Jacksonville jaguars fan reading that, dude id be embarrassed. I know on the Browns board we might cuss like sailors and make a few momma or [BLEEP] jokes, but we respect our fellow Browns fans. THE MAD DOG, if you ever want to talk football with some real fans, drop on by. You even have a name that will fit in......

This is the A-Typical response. Just like most Americans that doesn't know the True History of the U.S. You don't know the true history of TMD but if you were to hang out for a few years I'm sure that your opinion would reverse...

Just Sayn...

BTW, don't be like TMD and get suspended...

NH3...

"AZANE"

Is slimdawg TMD?

Quote:I won't be too disappointed either way - whatever happens it appears our GM/owner has shown a real vision and willingness to do what it takes to go get it. Clearly the offer has given the Browns 'paws' (hehe) for thought, so it's no half baked effort here on Caldwells part. Let's see what plays out...

On the topic of DC's real vision I wonder if what we are seeing in terms of the quality he is seeking for our offensive line isn't coming from his vision of the kind of team that he must build to win it all, starting with our division.

Is he looking ahead to what is needed to consistently win our division given that the most likely first selection in the draft will be a freakishly talented defensive end, Jadeveon Clowney, going to a team in our division who already has one of the very best in J.C. Watt?  

Is the need to build a team that can deal with that challenge what is motivating the acquisitions of Joeckel, Beadles and Mack, all well above the norm at their positions and quite different in stature from the rest of DC's acquisitions?  Let's also remember that Pasztor looked pretty good when he was going up against Watt.

Quote:Or the original report may have been completely accurate. Then things were added to the contract later.
Either way, as is probably the case in most instances for you, you were premature. Tap dance however you see fit to placate your self inflated ego, and to satisfy all those "fans" you have dancing around in your head.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I am confused I hear that Mack is pretty much equal to B. Meester in skill meaning a great center near the best but not the best a tier 2 guy if you will...

so why pay him near franchise tag money for only 2 years since the contract is voidable..

but then i hear that Cleveland will easily match it and why didnt the Jaguars GM offer Mack more if he really wanted him...

I'm confused in my mind i feel Dave Caldwell paid slightly over what Mack is worth due to him being a proven great veteran premium position center at a huge need since Meester retired, but to be told he shouldve payed an extra 2 million a year more...

i mean its not my money, and the jaguars have the cap room so should Dave have paid more to ensure Mack was ours?

or should this just be a 2nd round pick (or 1st round pick if we trade down in the draft)?

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

Quote:yawn...

I have people PM me all the time talking about how they enjoy my posting. These aren't people I regularly converse with, so "fans" is probably accurate usage.
No one cares. I dont come on the board to make friends. I come here to see others opinions on Jags.

Also my opinion is a true one. Yours is a troll. Who sways on emotions and makes a case to support your arguement. At end of day. True Jags fans dont talk junk about Jags players to the Players family.

So I will never buy your trolling what ever issue to fit your agenda.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:At the time, what was being reported was a weaker offer. The Jags went back to the drawing board today and fixed a few things after word got out that the original was too easy for the Browns to match.
And you know this how? I mean since you didn't know any of the numbers to begin with.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I am confused I hear that Mack is pretty much equal to B. Meester in skill meaning a great center near the best but not the best a tier 2 guy if you will...

so why pay him near franchise tag money for only 2 years since the contract is voidable..

but then i hear that Cleveland will easily match it and why didnt the Jaguars GM offer Mack more if he really wanted him...

I'm confused in my mind i feel Dave Caldwell paid slightly over what Mack is worth due to him being a proven great veteran premium position center at a huge need since Meester retired, but to be told he shouldve payed an extra 2 million a year more...

i mean its not my money, and the jaguars have the cap room so should Dave have paid more to ensure Mack was ours?

or should this just be a 2nd round pick (or 1st round pick if we trade down in the draft)?

You are hearing wrong. He is a top 5 center and a case can be made that he the best center.

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 08:02 AM by leopold332002.)

I slept on in last night and i still hate Cleveland.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:I am confused I hear that Mack is pretty much equal to B. Meester in skill meaning a great center near the best but not the best a tier 2 guy if you will...

PFF had him as the 3rd best center in the league last season.  Where Meester was near the bottom.  Meester was a great story for this franchise with how he played for every coach in our teams history and got drafted and finished his career here.  But he didn't do much to help on the field the last two years.  His playing the last two years is because there weren't any other options and Rackley turns out is horrible.  If we get Mack, we end up with a guy who hasn't missed a single game in his entire career and has played as one of the best at his position for the last couple of seasons.  And he's a perfect fit for the ZBS that Jedd wants to run.

Quote:If I kept saying I was going to do something then changed my mind I'd say something similar. Not that I make a habit of going back on my word, but you know what I mean. It's like they said this to save face if they decide not to after repeatedly saying they'll match anything. I wonder how much Mack not wanting to be there factors into the equation.

It has to be a big factor, because they told him if he didn't want to be there, they wouldn't stand in his way.   Now, if they match the offer, they have publicly lied to one of their best players.   So Mack goes back into that Cleveland locker room and there is talk among the players about how the front office lied.   At that point, the only guy who can save them from a poisonous situation in their locker room is Alex Mack.   If he doesn't want to let them off the hook for lying to him, it can somewhat poison the locker room.  

Credibility is important, and that's why owners should not talk to the media about things like this.   The owner inevitably contradicts the GM. 

Quote:Is slimdawg TMD?
I wouldn't be surprised.