Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Hate is a strong word, there's only a couple of things I actually hate (the dookie browns being one of them).. I actually like TMD, he gives effort in his posts. Sometimes those posts are way, way, WAY off, but he still gives effort.. He's like that one family member that you keep chained up in the basement and feed fish heads to.. Not a bad guy, just being himself, which I respect.

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For what it's worth, Mark Long seems optimistic still.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AlfieBCC'>Alfie ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@AlfieBCC</span> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AlfieBCC/status/454634929436250112' title="10:59 AM - 11 Apr 2014">17m</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(245,248,250);">On radio <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/APMarkLong'>@APMarkLong</a> said he thinks Jags end up with Mack. I think it's a good chance.

Quote:I get the price point, and I know that as the Cap goes up over the next few years his hit is going to diminish. And this isn't necessarily a concern of mine as much as it is a 'thinking point', but $10+ million a year for a Center is a pretty steep price to pay. Now, if I had to pay that kind of money out, then Mack is the kind of player to which I would write the check. He still has several years left in his career, he's already accomplished, etc etc etc.

It's not that I don't want Mack on the roster nor that I don't want to pay $10 Million for his services, but rather me having a "holy [bad word removed]! We just paid a Center $10 million!!!" moment.

Agreed.  But, it is what it is.  The cost of building a winning team ain't cheap.  The Jags were spoiled to have Meester around for as long as they did, and for most of his career, he was solid in the middle of the line.  With him out of the picture. and a new CBA to deal with, we are now on the front end of the next frontier in veteran salary increases.  I would imagine the sticker shock of what it will cost to get a top tier center will diminish when we start looking at true skill positions where the price tags are going to be even higher. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Not surprised at this either. Just like the Shea Weber (NHL) example I gave. Even if Mack does indeed want out, if Cleveland matches, expect him to say in public that he's happy to remain a Cleveland Brown, blah blah......

I don' think anyone would expect him to trash Cleveland regardless of how things play out.  If they match the deal, he's got to work there for 2 more years.  There's no point in doing anything but tow the line.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I'm curious about the whole "If he doesn't void, then the third year $8M is fully guaranteed"

If say... the Browns cut him, do they have to pay him that $8M?

Like for instance... Mack gets injured, and he's unable to play at the level he's been playing.  The Browns decide to cut him.  Does he get that $8M?

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I'm curious about the whole "If he doesn't void, then the third year $8M is fully guaranteed"

If say... the Browns cut him, do they have to pay him that $8M?

Like for instance... Mack gets injured, and he's unable to play at the level he's been playing.  The Browns decide to cut him.  Does he get that $8M?

Yes.   If the Browns cut him, they have to pay him that $8 million.   If he voids, he doesn't get it.  

Also, start the timer.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'>Ryan O'Halloran ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@ryanohalloran</span> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/454658407018938368' title="12:33 PM - 11 Apr 2014">7s</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Alex Mack has signed his his offer sheet with <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Jaguars&src=hash'>#Jaguars</a>.

Quote:Also, start the timer.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'>Ryan O'Halloran ‏<span style="color:rgb(136,153,166);"><span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@
ryanohalloran
</a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/454658407018938368'>7s</a></span></span>

Alex Mack has signed his his offer sheet with <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Jaguars&src=hash'><span style="color:rgb(224,132,163);">#

Jaguars</a>.</span>

Good to hear.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

The ball is in the brownies court now.. Hopefully, they don't buck the trend of being a brownie..

Quote:Also, start the timer.

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Ryan O'Halloran ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@ryanohalloran</span>  7s
<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Alex Mack has signed his his offer sheet with #Jaguars.

</div>

[Image: post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif]

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Probably gonna be matched. But whatever at least Dave tried. Cant do much more than making a guy the highest paid player at his position. 

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter  3m
Alex Mack can void final three years of deal with promise he cannot be tagged again. Deal also includes a no-trade provision.

Ok, so two opt outs, a no tag clause, a no trade clause, biggest contract in C history, and double the guaranteed money in C history. If the Jags don't get him it certainly won't be from a lack of trying. It just means the Browns have the means the rights to match if they want and there's nothing more that could have been done.

At this point the only numbers out are just the guaranteed amounts. We still don't know the base salaries and workout bonuses etc.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

A lot of money for a darn center. 

I applaud the efforts of this new regime in trying to put together a competitive roster. Heres hoping the Browns realize its too rich for their blood and don't attempt to hold Mack hostage.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Quote: 

<div>Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter  3m
Alex Mack can void final three years of deal with promise he cannot be tagged again. Deal also includes a no-trade provision.

Ok, so two opt outs, a no tag clause, a no trade clause, biggest contract in C history, and double the guaranteed money in C history. If the Jags don't get him it certainly won't be from a lack of trying. It just means the Browns have the means the rights to match if they want and there's nothing more that could have been done.

</div>

Totally agree.  If it works or not time will tell, but props given to Khan and Caldwell for trying to get it done.  A+ on there part.

9 times out of 10, you get what you pay for. Alex Mack has already proven himself.. 

@MichaelLKelly BREAKING: Alex Mack signs 5-year offer sheet with #Jaguars. Browns have until Wednesday at 4 PM to match.

The thing I don't understand is that there are a lot of people that seem confident the Browns are going to match.  If that was the case, why would they waste untold amounts of days on working this out if there wasn't much chance of it succeeding?