Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:I could see the Browns making a last minute deal just to annoy.
Me too. That's the type of thing a franchise like that would do.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

#Mostexcitingoffseasonever

Thank God for new blood..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Give up a pick for a center, as well as a BOAT load of guaranteed money?  I don't see why this would be prudent.

We're not talking about an early round pick.  The guaranteed money is the cost of doing business, and it will be worth the investment as long as he remains healthy.  The guy has been extremely reliable so far. 

Quote:I thought one of the Browns fans cited some CBA by law saying that was illegal?... I hope its not, and I'd dangle one of the 5th rounders as incentive. 

It's only a violation of the CBA if they just hand over the pick.  I'm sure there's a prospect on the Browns practice squad they could trade off a 5th or 6th for.

Quote:do i want a cookie? or does FBT want the cookie?

I guessed 75 pages, so i was wrong, but if a cookie is my consolation prize... i'll take an oreo

I figured we'd get close to 75 pages, and depending on when Mack actually signed the deal, it was possible the over would be hit.  Enjoy that cookie. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Nope, can't do this.

They can't just offer the pick to sign the deal, but there are ways to work around that as I've stated above.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:By the time the dust settles on this thing, if the Jags land Mack, those same people will be spinning this as a bad deal because we overpaid. If the Jags DON'T land Mack, those same people will be saying the Jags are idiots for not making the deal tougher to assure we got him.
Who are these people exactly? Also please find proof of them complaining about this deal specifically. Then we can prove you right I'm sure.

Quote:I won't be spinning it as we overpaid. Speak for yourself. 

I don't think we're overpaying, but I know you'll look for any possible angle to find a way to complain about the deal if it happens.  It's what you do.

Quote:26 MIL over 3 years, not 2, just making sure you got it right. Maybe you were just exaggerating to make the Jags offer seem better than it is. 

The offer is still a reasonable match for Cleveland. 
I wasn't exaggerating anything. I saw "26 million guaranteed" and "player option to opt out after 2 years"

then i posted.

then you corrected it, so i looked up the details via BCC's post to find the 10 mil in year one and 8 each year following.

If the player opts out of the contract after two years, it truly only makes it 18 guaranteed. And 26 guaranteed if Mack chooses to stay another season.

I think 18 guaranteed is a fine offer for a C over two years. I don't think it is soft at all. And if Cleveland matches it, good for them.

If not, good for us.

Quote:26 MIL over 3 years, not 2, just making sure you got it right. Maybe you were just exaggerating to make the Jags offer seem better than it is. 

The offer is still a reasonable match for Cleveland. 

That part of the offer is.  I don't think that is the issue (potentially) the browns are having with this contract.  If the reports are true about the other items in the deal, then it is a very strong offer and one they crafted to make the decision tough for the browns.

Quote:If thats true than why didnt dave offer 11million for the first year & 10 for 2nd i mean the browns are already up to 10m this year seemed kind of low as an offer by the Jags with the void in there?

The contract offer is a $46 million contract total.  That would make him the highest paid center in the league.  I don't think it's a soft offer.  

Quote:Who are these people exactly? Also please find proof of them complaining about this deal specifically. Then we can prove you right I'm sure.
Feel free to scroll back through the pages of this very thread to see where some here have indicated, based strictly on rumors, that the deal wasn't strong enough to deter Cleveland from matching it.  Then they came to the realization the rumors they were clinging to as gospel were incorrect, and the deal was actually plugged full of qualifiers that made it much less appealing to Cleveland, and suddenly they're saying the only reason the deal changed was because the Jags front office found out their deal wasn't strong enough based on those media rumors, so they went back and re-worked the deal.  I think the who here is pretty obvious.

Hope the Browns match. Jaguars don't need to be using that cap space on a center.

Quote:I don't think we're overpaying, but I know you'll look for any possible angle to find a way to complain about the deal if it happens.  It's what you do.

Nope. 

I have said many many times that I have zero problem overpaying/ paying a lot for free agents that are top 5 at their position. 

What I have also said is the type of FA deal I HATE is overpaying for AVERAGE to GOOD FA's like we have been known to do in the past with Pashos, Session, Landry, Porter, et al....

You're wrong again. 

Quote:Hope the Browns match. Jaguars don't need to be using that cap space on a center.
. You don't get football do you?

Quote:Unless they plan to respond immediately, as in today, I would imagine they'd make their decision over the weekend.  Nothing official can happen over the weekend as far as the league is concerned, but if they decide to match, they can put that out in the media.  Same thing if they decide to walk away. 
I thought it was 5 straight days. maybe not, but if so, Sat and Sun would count

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:I could see the Browns making a last minute deal just to annoy.

That's certainly possible, but then they look foolish.  The deal is the deal.  They either endorse it or they don't.  Either way, the Jaguars have done their due diligence here.  Even the Jags front office sees this as a 50/50 prospect right now.

Quote:They can't just offer the pick to sign the deal, but there are ways to work around that as I've stated above.

No, they can't offer anything to persuade the Browns to not match:

"No Consideration Between Clubs. There may be no consideration of any kind given by one Club to another Club in exchange for a Club’s decision to exercise or not to exercise its Right of First Refusal"

Quote:Premature?  They have indicated they're mulling it over.  That is a different tune from "immediate" as Schefter was spinning it last night. 

Bingo.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Hope the Browns match. Jaguars don't need to be using that cap space on a center.

2 other playoff teams disagree with you. (Kalil/ Kelce)

IMO 80% chance the Browns match.   The worst that can happen is they get the guy for two years for $18 million.   They can use those two years to persuade him to sign a new, longer contract.   I don't see how this is any worse than signing him to that transition tag they had on him. 

They're "mulling it over" because they need to read the contract.   They haven't even read it yet.   And now that the Jags have called their bluff, they can quit the posturing and take the available 5 days to consider their options.   

They will match.  

Quote:I thought it was 5 straight days. maybe not, but if so, Sat and Sun would count

Saturday and Sunday count in the process, but no official transactions can be posted by the league over the weekend, so if it doesn't get closed out today, "officially" it would have to wait until Monday.  Now, the Browns can make their decision, do a press release, and as far as we're concerned it's over.  It would then just be a matter of submitting the paperwork to the league on Monday.