Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:No need for them to do it today. My prediction is that they will take a few days, leak word of their decision to match, and file the papers with the league next Wednesday. We're going to be twisting in the wind until then.

And no reason to wait if they are going to sign him. If they are waiting then that means they are thinking it over. If it's a slam dunk (80% as you say) then what is the purpose of waiting?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:That's all fine and good.  If you don't think it could be done in a way to get around this, you're kidding yourself. 

For the record, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's certainly something they could navigate to assure Cleveland plays nice.

Lol, you can't exchange players/picks on the sly. Everythng has to pass through the league office.

That said, this contract is a favor to the Browns. They're assured of getting to keep him at least an extra year at a cheaper rate. Mack has the opportunity to re-assess the direction of the team in two years time. There's nothing in this offer that would deter the Browns when there easily could have been.

Quote:Hope the Browns match. Jaguars don't need to be using that cap space on a center.
Yes, because Centers are so worthless..... It's better than spending it on a OLB who only plays a few games out of the entire contract. It's better than paying a certain TE who's always hurt. It's better than paying a QB/QB's who stink it up. He's a proven O-lineman. O-Lineman are very important in the following order: LT, C, RT, LG, RG. I'd say the cap is being spent very well with the new regime.

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:No need for them to do it today.   My prediction is that they will take a few days, leak word of their decision to match, and file the papers with the league next Wednesday.    We're going to be twisting in the wind until then. 

I don't think they'll leave anyone twisting.  if they don't decide to match it today, there's more to it than just being vindictive, IMO. 

Quote:Who else are we going to use it on?  We don't have any blue chip players coming up anytime soon that will need to be resigned.  Cecil is probably the closest thing we have to a high end player right now and he won't break the bank.  You gotta spend it.  Spend it.  Doesn't hurt the team at all, but only makes our line a LOT better than it was last year.

Exactly. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 02:24 PM by jtmoney.)

If it is out of spite then that shows the maturity level of the browns organization. And as bad as they have been, I just don't see this new regime starting things off on that foot.

Quote:If they do it like that, its probably just for spite. 

I think at this point, the adults take over, and the Browns take their time and check everything backwards and forwards, and give a lot of thought and discussion to their decision.  

I'm assuming, of course, that there are some adults in the Browns front office.   It would be stupid for them not to take their time on this.  

If I were them, I would make this look difficult, just so the other players will not think the Browns are pushovers. 

Quote:They also have Haden and Gordon that are going to be getting big deals coming up soon.  That's why this will give them pause, and why it was front loaded.  If they take mack, they lose Gordon or Haden.  It's a lose/lose situation basically for them regardless of what they do.

I don't think they'll lose either with the Cap continuing to rise 5 10 MIL per year over the next 5 years. It might be tougher for them to sign others, but they'll have enough to sign their core. 

Quote: 

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter'>Adam Schefter ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@AdamSchefter</span> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/454686247437365248'>1m</a>

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Browns have until midnight Wednesday to match the five-year offer sheet that Pro-Bowl C Alex Mack signed with Jacksonville.

Quote:I think at this point, the adults take over, and the Browns take their time and check everything backwards and forwards, and give a lot of thought and discussion to their decision.

I'm assuming, of course, that there are some adults in the Browns front office. It would be stupid for them not to take their time on this.

If they are taking their time then it isn't a slam dunk. Just saying. If they are taking their time it's because there are things they have to consider for the future. I'm sure they have talked about what the Jags may do already. Early reports are the Jags made it tougher then expected and it isn't a slam dunk. We shall see.

Quote:IMO 80% chance the Browns match.   The worst that can happen is they get the guy for two years for $18 million.   They can use those two years to persuade him to sign a new, longer contract.   I don't see how this is any worse than signing him to that transition tag they had on him. 

Actually the worst that can happen is Mack gets an injury in his second season -- and doesn't play up to the level that he once did.  Mack blows out his knee for example, and he's not going to be leaving Cleveland after his second year.  They then have to pay him $8M guaranteed.

Honestly I'd say 60% chance the Browns match.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:They also have Haden and Gordon that are going to be getting big deals coming up soon.  That's why this will give them pause, and why it was front loaded.  If they take mack, they lose Gordon or Haden.  It's a lose/lose situation basically for them regardless of what they do.
The Browns still have $30mil to play with, and are projected top-5 in cap space next season. This contract would not hinder their ability to re-sign those players.

Quote:Lol, you can't exchange players/picks on the sly. Everythng has to pass through the league office.

That said, this contract is a favor to the Browns. They're assured of getting to keep him at least an extra year at a cheaper rate. Mack has the opportunity to re-assess the direction of the team in two years time. There's nothing in this offer that would deter the Browns when there easily could have been.

Unfortunately thats how I see it too. 

Agreed.  The Jags worked with Mack and his agent to structure this deal.  They had to have insight into what was on the horizon for the Browns with other contracts.  Mack's agent, Marvin Demoff, is a guy who has been around the league a long time, and has negotiated a lot of contracts for his clients.  If he knows his client wants to be done with Cleveland, he's going to do what he can to put something together that will assure he has a happy client. 

They know what deals are coming, and they have a good idea of what kinds of contracts they're looking at with guys like Haden and Gordon.  I'm sure that played into the structure of the contract.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">

Adam Schefter ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@AdamSchefter</span>  1m

<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Browns have until midnight Wednesday to match the five-year offer sheet that Pro-Bowl C Alex Mack signed with Jacksonville.

</blockquote>

Now its midnight???....it went from an extra 4 hours to an extra 12 hours.....

why don't they just give them extra money to match too???

Id rather overpay and take the brownies out of the equation and lock Mack up.. My 2 cents..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote: 

Honestly I'd say 60% chance the Browns match.  

You say 60%, another fan in another post recently said 80% chance the Browns match....most people see it as a relatively easy match for the Browns, which suggests we didn't do that good on this contract offer. 

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 02:29 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:Now its midnight???....it went from an extra 4 hours to an extra 12 hours.....

why don't they just give them extra money to match too???
Do you always worry about insignificant issues? If he isn't signed by morning Wednesday then it is unlikely they will sign him not matter the deadline. It either is something they will do or it isn't.

Quote:If they agree to match within 24 hours that pretty much constitutes as "immediately" IMO

Ahh, so "immediately" has an evolving definition that can be spun to fit agenda.  Typical.

<sup>1</sup>im·me·di·ate·ly
adverb \i-<span>ˈmē-dē-ət-lē also -ˈmē-dit-, British often -ˈmē-jit-\</span>
<div>
: with no person or thing in between

<p class="">: without any delay

</div>

1:  in direct connection or relation :  directly <span><the parties immediately involved in the case> <the house immediately beyond this one> </span>

<div> 
2:  without interval of time :  straightway <span><I'll make that call immediately> </span>
</div>
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I think at this point, the adults take over, and the Browns take their time and check everything backwards and forwards, and give a lot of thought and discussion to their decision.  

I'm assuming, of course, that there are some adults in the Browns front office.   It would be stupid for them not to take their time on this.  

If I were them, I would make this look difficult, just so the other players will not think the Browns are pushovers. 
Well, now that Kevin Costner is their GM, we know there's an adult at the helm. 

Seriously, the Browns won't be vindictive in their dealings here.  You never know when you're going to have a need to approach a team for a possible trade, or other business.  If they're going to match the deal, they're not going to make anyone wait any longer than absolutely necessary, IMO. 

Quote:You say 60%, another fan in another post recently said 80% chance the Browns match....most people see it as a relatively easy match for the Browns, which suggests we didn't do that good on this contract offer. 

I said 80%.    I'm not making any judgment with that as to whether we should have done something different.