Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:You do understand they aren't going to put a contract together that puts the Jaguars in a bad spot, right?  They're going to put a deal together that might sting a bit for the Jags, but that they hope will cause Cleveland to pause before instantly matching it.

I agree with that.   We gave him a contract that gave us a chance to land him, not a slam dunk, because we have to live with that contract if they don't match.   It's already a very rich contract for a center. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Toss in the fact that they can't trade him either, and it makes the deal even less appealing for Cleveland.  If they match it, they're stuck.

WELP, forgot about that little no trade clause. Makes it even tougher. Awful contract for Browns and Jags even. 

Follow me on twitter @Demetrius82

Quote:A lot on here expected more from the Jags in terms of the contract. Like what? You want them to cripple themselves? No you dont. They made the best offer they could have without actually making a fool of themselves in the process. Its a tough contract. Think of it as if you are the one with Mack already. As if you were the Browns. Would you match that? Probably not. 
TMD could have negotiated a better deal. Heck, he played McDonalds off of Burger King and got an extra nickel an hour!

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:TMD, I just want to thank you. I am having a slow day at work and watching you get raked over the coals in this thread and kept me entertained. Keep it up!

If being right = "being raked over the coals" then oh well. 

If browns were signing Mack no matter what then they would have franchised him. This was never 100%. browns made that apparent from the get go.

Quote:If being right = "being raked over the coals" then oh well.

Ah yes, you nailed the terms. Basic...

Quote:TMD could have negotiated a better deal. Heck, he played McDonalds off of Burger King and got an extra nickel an hour!

Sounds like you're hungry again.....you must have missed your lunch. 

If who is right? Laughing

Quote:I agree with that.   We gave him a contract that gave us a chance to land him, not a slam dunk, because we have to live with that contract if they don't match. 
Exactly.  All reports indicate the Jaguars are looking at this as a 50/50 prospect.  They're not thinking slam dunk at all.  They're also not willing to put the team in a hole that could damage the build process currently underway.

It's the best deal they could put together, and they put a lot of time and effort into it in the hope that Cleveland would think twice.  We'll see how it plays out.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote: which suggests we didn't do that good on this contract offer. 
and the beat goes on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

Quote:The notion that Mack is going to be playing on a "cheaper deal" is hilarious to me. Barbecue no only are you guys assuming they would transition/franchise tag him two years in a row, you also are asserting that they would love to have paid him that. The contract never was about the money. Its about the clauses placed. 

If you think a no franchise/transition tag clause is very important as they can now do nothing at all if he opts out of the contract. Then there is the whole, you know OPT OUT CLAUSE. He literally would be paid 18 million (9('14)+9('15) for those of you counting at home) + base salary whatever that may be, just to play two years somewhere. That is an awful contract already. Then if hes hurt or playing horribly he can get an extra 8 million just for not opting out. So if you think this is some sort of simple/easy to match contract then you are wrong. 

I for one wouldnt want the Jaguars to match anything that looked so awful. WOOOO two years, who cares if you are not doing anything this year and next? Its about year 3 people. 

I think you misunderstand the terms of the deal. Mack would receive $10mil this season, then $8mil for each of the last 4. The $18mil he is guaranteed is the total he would be paid for the first 2 seasons.

Cleveland has already committed to giving him $10+mil this season, so they would be getting him for at least a second season at $8mil. That is a reasonable rate, and much cheaper than if they woud have elected to tag him again next year. None of this would deter Cleveland from matching.

Quote:Sounds like you're hungry again.....you must have missed your lunch. 
Sorry, you must have gone big time and gotten an extra 2 bits an hour.

Quote:Exactly.  All reports indicate the Jaguars are looking at this as a 50/50 prospect.  They're not thinking slam dunk at all.  They're also not willing to put the team in a hole that could damage the build process currently underway.

It's the best deal they could put together, and they put a lot of time and effort into it in the hope that Cleveland would think twice.  We'll see how it plays out.

Yes.  So when I say "80% chance Cleveland matches..." I'm not saying the Jags did the wrong thing. 

If Cleveland does what I hope they will do and decides not to match, we will all swallow hard and say, "Okay, we just paid an awful lot for a center..."  

Quote:No, its just that you're being too literal. WHen people said the Browns would immediately match, they didn't mean they'd be waiting with a pen for the fax to come through the maching to sign it. Reasonable people understood this meant within 24 hours they would agree to match. 

No, you're backpedaling and you're wrong again, again.

They have clearly changed their stance.  You do it all the time, so there's no surprise why you're defending their flip flop.

This was not the contract they were expecting to immediately sign, so that's why it hasn't happened "immediately."

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

what exactly have you been right about?

:blink:

Quote:Sounds like you're hungry again.....you must have missed your lunch.

Look, I don't find you to be a troll as others and sometimes you make good points... But you love to throw outrageous stuff that us logical people find hysterical. Did you seriously use message board posters' percentage guesses as backup? I mean come on... HAHAHA!!

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 02:50 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

edit: nvm, its working now. Wasn't initially. 

Quote:I think you misunderstand the terms of the deal. Mack would receive $10mil this season, then $8mil for each of the last 4. The $18mil he is guaranteed is the total he would be paid for the first 2 seasons.

Cleveland has already committed to giving him $10+mil this season, so they would be getting him for at least a second season at $8mil. That is a reasonable rate, and much cheaper than if they woud have elected to tag him again next year. None of this would deter Cleveland from matching.
The money amount was never the rub with this deal.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:No, you're backpedaling and you're wrong again, again.

They have clearly changed their stance.  You do it all the time, so there's no surprise why you're defending their flip flop.

This was not the contract they were expecting to immediately sign, so that's why it hasn't happened "immediately."
He should run for POTUS