Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:No your opinion all along was that even if the Browns matched you would be encouraged that they showed good effort in getting a marquee FA. Then you believed PFT's bogus report and completely did at 180 on your word.

Then you found out the deal included the most money in C history, more than double the guaranteed money in C history, an opt out, a no trade, and a no tag clause, and you still decided you were going to go back on your word. Just admit the Jags did all they could, but a team that had the trump card in every way is probably going to use said trump card. The Jag made a heck of an effort but unfortunately it probably won't work out, that's life sometimes. 

I still give Caldwell credit for targeting the right guy. So, no "180". 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No your opinion all along was that even if the Browns matched you would be encouraged that they showed good effort in getting a marquee FA. Then you believed PFT's bogus report and completely did at 180 on your word.

Then you found out the deal included the most money in C history, more than double the guaranteed money in C history, an opt out, a no trade, and a no tag clause, and you still decided you were going to go back on your word. Just admit the Jags did all they could, but a team that had the trump card in every way is probably going to use said trump card. The Jag made a heck of an effort but unfortunately it probably won't work out, that's life sometimes.

Exactly. Earlier in this thread, TMD said he'd give credit where credit is due if the Jags made an offer on Mack. They did so and now he changes his position. Again. I'm more convinced than ever that Mad Dog's simply a troll with nothing better to do in life than hate on the Jags. Have fun with that I guess.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Quote:He certainly does not come off as a happy camper. I understand he is a professional and will perform no matter what but who knows what goes on sub consciously? I just wonder along with the other wrinkles do the Browns really want him if he does not want to be there.

More than likely he's just trying to and is going to get paid and don't really care where it comes from.
I think you're believing too much of what you're reading on internet forums. Mack hasn't given any indication that he's unhappy in Cleveland, quite the contrary. What he has given indication of is the desire to get paid.

Quote:All you people can do is name call. 

I , they and everyone knows they have more available cap space than we do. It doesn't change the fact that everyone has their price. You act as if Cleveland would have matched ANY number. They wouldn't have. Theres a chance an extra million per year might have done the job. 

So we should have seen Mack's price and paid way over the odds to scare them off? The only money that would do it is silly money that neither team wants to pay.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

I , they and everyone knows they have more available cap space than we do. It doesn't change the fact that everyone has their price. You act as if Cleveland would have matched ANY number. They wouldn't have. Theres a chance an extra million per year might have done the job. 

Yes, but you and I are fans, and unlike us, Caldwell has to actually manage this team, and that means he has to have a limit beyond which he will not go, and he has to stick to it, no matter how much he wants a player.   It's called discipline, and it pays off in the long run.  

Quote:Pray tell then sir, what major (non CBA breaking) clauses could the Jags have used? Seems to me like adding opt out, no trade, and no tag clauses is about as good as you can do. 
It could have been something as simple as a balloon payment in a key year (next year) when the Browns have several contracts coming due. Not any additional money, just timed to make it more difficult dor the Browns.

Quote:I think you're believing too much of what you're reading on internet forums. Mack hasn't given any indication that he's unhappy in Cleveland, quite the contrary. What he has given indication of is the desire to get paid.
Probably correct. But why then make the deal tough to sign if it is just money? Why not something easy with the highest possible dollars? His agent and him have reportedly worked on these details for quite some time.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Exactly. Earlier in this thread, TMD said he'd give credit where credit is due if the Jags made an offer on Mack. They did so and now he changes his position. Again. I'm more convinced than ever that Mad Dog's simply a troll with nothing better to do in life than hate on the Jags. Have fun with that I guess.

Its called being disappointed from getting caught up in the hype. Before any numbers were leaked, the rhetoric from the agent and some writers was that Jax would be able to write the contract in such a way that Cleveland wouldn't match. So, that kinda got hopes up more than they were. Its a let down now if the Browns match. 

That said, not going back on giving Caldwell credit for targeting the right player. 

This is just as I said before. More projection of anger thrown my way instead of throwing your disappoointment of missing out on Mack towards the Jags. 

Quote:Contract aside, the Brownies do have to consider the PR side of this deal. Mack's already come out and publicly stated he wants out of Cleveland and the owner has already come out and publicly stated he won't hold him hostage. Now, add back in a tight deal with some sexy language, add back in the fact they have lots of contracts to negotiate coming down the pike and it starts to look like they might have reason to let him slide.
Please show the quote where Mack said that. 

I figured it was the only way to get your attention. You have replied to none of my comments that are pretty much directed ONLY at you. So sorry if you feel offended, but I guess I was right in that it got your attention. You respond to none of my reasons, and continue to act as though you know everything

Of course Cleveland wouldnt have matched ANY number, but then why would you want the Jags to overspend by that much. I bet the Jags factored in that the Browns probably do not care much about money so an extra million wouldnt have done much. Yeah theres a chance it could have done the job, but theres also a chance it wouldnt have. Stop it man.  

Follow me on twitter @Demetrius82

Quote:Probably correct. But why then make the deal tough to sign if it is just money? Why not something easy with the highest possible dollars? His agent and him have reportedly worked on these details for quite some time.
I disagree that it's tough to match. This contract would give them one more year than the tag alone would, but still gives Mack the opportunity to leave in 2 years if he's unhappy with the direction of the club. I see it as Mack giving the new regime a 2 year audition, rather than losing him this year or next for nothing. I think this contract is a no-brainer for Cleveland.

Quote:I disagree that it's tough to match. This contract would give them one more year than the tag alone would, but still gives Mack the opportunity to leave in 2 years if he's unhappy with the direction of the club. I see it as Mack giving the new regime a 2 year audition, rather than losing him this year or next for nothing. I think this contract is a no-brainer for Cleveland.

So you would like the Browns to gamble on that? Its not just an audition for team success, its a tryout for himself as well. If he plays like an all pro again the next two years then hes opting out because he can get more money. Unless of course the Browns get to the playoffs for the first time in forever. 

Quote:I disagree that it's tough to match. This contract would give them one more year than the tag alone would, but still gives Mack the opportunity to leave in 2 years if he's unhappy with the direction of the club. I see it as Mack giving the new regime a 2 year audition, rather than losing him this year or next for nothing. I think this contract is a no-brainer for Cleveland.
I guess I find it odd as to the public rhetoric by his agent boasting of how he could compose a contract that the Browns would not match. What does it gain him to have done that? I'm sure the money was going to be the money no matter what. Why do that unless your client is asking you to?

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We all know they have more expensive re-signings to make than we do, too.  And now those signings are going to get much, MUCH more difficult if they sign the match.  Which they haven't yet.  ("immediately")

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:So you would like the Browns to gamble on that? Its not just an audition for team success, its a tryout for himself as well. If he plays like an all pro again the next two years then hes opting out because he can get more money. Unless of course the Browns get to the playoffs for the first time in forever. 

Where's the gamble? The Browns already committed to pay him $10mil+ this season when they tagged him. This would just be a little under an additional $8mil to keep him an additional year.

If Mack walks in two years for nothing, that's better than walking now for nothing.

Quote:I guess I find it odd as to the public rhetoric by his agent boasting of how he could compose a contract that the Browns would not match. What does it gain him to have done that? I'm sure the money was going to be the money no matter what. Why do that unless your client is asking you to?

Get other teams involved and drive up the garanteed money? While the year-by-year numbers might have been the same, the guaranteed money almost certainly would have been a lot lower.

The way these last comments read makes it sound like cleveland has already matched the offer? is that the case or is everyone just expecting worst case scenario?

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Where's the gamble? The Browns already committed to pay him $10mil+ this season when they tagged him. This would just be a little under an additional $8mil to keep him an additional year.

If Mack walks in two years for nothing, that's better than walking now for nothing.

You act as thought they actually wanted him to play on the transition tag and not work out a long term contract. Whats the point?! I just do not get the two years thing. Do you guys really think you are that close? 

Quote:I guess I find it odd as to the public rhetoric by his agent boasting of how he could compose a contract that the Browns would not match. What does it gain him to have done that? I'm sure the money was going to be the money no matter what. Why do that unless your client is asking you to?

I'm sure his agent could compose a contract the Browns would not match.   I could do that.   The question is, would the Jags agree to such a contract.   Apparently not.  

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 03:58 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:The way these last comments read makes it sound like cleveland has already matched the offer? is that the case or is everyone just expecting worst case scenario?

Just a couple guys rooting for the Browns.

The Browns boasted of an "immediate" match, but it hasn't happened yet.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."