Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:I don't believe them that it would have needed to go that far for them to not match. They're still playing poker, yet the hand is over.
So you pick and choose which 'sources' are the right ones. Interesting how that works.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Of course, because you have an agenda.  When you have an agenda you just cherry pick what information backs up your argument and the other information you dismiss.  PFT says something and it is gospel.  Another source says something and you don't believe it.  You believe what you want to believe and will argue to that benefit no matter what comes out.  You either don't see it or you purposefully do it and don't care.  

You're talking about 2 different types of info that the media was reporting on. One is numbers and the other is some person's rhetoric. 

Cleveland has motive to continue to act as if it would have taken a mammoth contract of all 5 years guaranteed for them not to match - because they are posturing just in case they ever find themselves having to transition tag another player - so they are trying to send the message of scaring potential future teams off from trying to beat them in this venue. 

Quote:I didn't believe it before, but now I am becoming convinced that he will criticize this organization no matter what.

No matter what? Nope. When they fail? Yep. 

Quote:No its not that simple....

The Jags also might have offered what they thought Cleveland wouldn't match and simply underestimated.

The Jags needed Mack more than the Browns do, IMO.
Here's some breaking news. Maybe they offered what they thought he was worth. They probably should have consulted you first though. Only you seem to know his true value.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:If you look at the Browns forums they are praising their FO for being so smart... LIKE THIS WAS THEIR IDEA.

Um, maybe it was their idea to let another team do their negotiating for them?...

Granted it was a gamble that no other team offered more than what we happened to, prior to now, but to me it looks like Cleveland gambled and won. 

Um, what do we talk about now???? Oh, we can recycle the Bridgewater vs. Clowney debate.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Except no one called for that above type of money to be spent. Not me, not anyone. I advised another 1 or 2 MIL per year through the life of the deal to make the decision more difficult for Cleveland. People assume that the Browns would have just matched that but I do not think it would have been a slam dunk for them to match that amount combined with the contract language we used. 
well, 1 OR 2?  What would you have offered?

5 year 52 mil?

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Um, maybe it was their idea to let another team do their negotiating for them?...

Granted it was a gamble that no other team offered more than what we happened to, prior to now, but to me it looks like Cleveland gambled and won. 

They didn't "win" squat.  They keep a player who is getting a very hefty pay increase.  Mack is good, so he's worth it.  But he is getting a lot of money, not like they're getting him at some discount.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Well Mack cracks the top 25 list with most money guaranteed in the league.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/guaranteed/

Cleveland will have over 50 million guaranteed tied up in their offensive line.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I wanted Mack but hopefully it turns out better for us where we can find a good one in the draft for much cheaper

Quote:Well Mack cracks the top 25 list with most money guaranteed in the league.

no way can you read that and think our offer wasn't aggressive or good enough.

making that list as a center is crazy

Quote:The Jags also might have offered what they thought Cleveland wouldn't match and simply underestimated. 

LOL... what's it tell you when no one else even kicked the tires, McFly...?

Just wow.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Um, what do we talk about now???? Oh, we can recycle the Bridgewater vs. Clowney debate.

That's actually somewhat on topic.  One of those two could be a Brown now.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:LOL... what's it tell you when no one else even kicked the tires, McFly...?

Just wow.

...No other team had as dire a need at Center as we did, Skolnick....?

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014, 07:48 PM by jobclarke.)

Much respect to Caldwell and the jags brass for this attempt to get Mack. This deal will resonate with the rest of the league because it gave the player everything he could ask for. Guaranteed money, an ability to void, the inability to be traded and the inability to be tagged. Players can't ask for much more

Quote:Much respect to Caldwell and the jags brass for this attempt to get Mack. This deal will resonate with the rest of the league because it gave the player everything he could ask for. Guaranteed money, an ability to void, the inability to be traded and the inability to be tagged. Players can't ask for much more

Actually it won't resonate because the Jaguars won't be willing to do this with every FA that they decide to bring in. Nor should they. This was just a one shot deal that we failed on. Sucks, because Mack would have been a great addition. 

Quote:Actually it won't resonate because the Jaguars won't be willing to do this with every FA that they decide to bring in. Nor should they. This was just a one shot deal that we failed on. Sucks, because Mack would have been a great addition. 
Your jaded eyes will not let you see. I see the word fail is now your flavor of the hour. Must just suck to be you.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Honestly, I'm surprised TMD hasn't tried to blame Goodell yet.  The League keeping the Jaguars down and all that.

The chances of getting Mack were always slim.  The Browns had the right to match any offer, and that's exactly what they were going to do barring it being a crippling contract for both the Jaguars and the Browns.  We did Cleveland no favors here though.  The amount of guaranteed money is probably something Mack wouldn't have seen if the Browns just signed him outright.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Unless there are any decent centers left in FA, looks like we'll be getting one in the draft.

Quote:Honestly, I'm surprised TMD hasn't tried to blame Goodell yet.  The League keeping the Jaguars down and all that.

dang, I almost  forgot about him and that, but yeah....nothing would surprise me there.