Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:What I still don't understand is, if this deal is so great for the Browns, and Mack was willing to sign it, how come the Browns couldn't have done this themselves?    Are the Browns that incompetent?

Looks that way.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Are you serious? The diva would buy ANYTHING from ANY source that allows him to take shots at the Jaguars because that's what he thinks real "fans" do. The credibility of the source is irrelevant if it serves his agenda to get more attention for himself.

Pretty much. The Browns were going through so much crap this offseason they didn't start contract negotiations until 2 days before free agency started.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Exactly. Earlier in this thread, TMD said he'd give credit where credit is due if the Jags made an offer on Mack. They did so and now he changes his position. Again. I'm more convinced than ever that Mad Dog's simply a troll with nothing better to do in life than hate on the Jags. Have fun with that I guess.

He has done that forever.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014, 11:14 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Are you serious? The diva would buy ANYTHING from ANY source that allows him to take shots at the Jaguars because that's what he thinks real "fans" do. The credibility of the source is irrelevant if it serves his agenda to get more attention for himself.

The facts are we failed in our attempt to get Mack. Bottom line. 

Us not getting Mack disappoints me because I know his addition would have made us a better football team. Would have helped bring along a young QB as well. 

Your problem is you are incapable of venting any disappointment at the team where it belongs in matters like these, and always seem to need a scapegoat poster instead. 

Quote:The facts are we failed in our attempt to get Mack. Bottom line. 

Us not getting Mack disappoints me because I know his addition would have made us a better football team. Would have helped bring along a young QB as well. 

Your problem is you are incapable of venting any disappointment at the team where it belongs in matters like these, and always seem to need a scapegoat poster instead.

You are as predictable as the sunrise. You add no value. Please go away.

There's no reason to"vent disappointment at the team," you ignorant narcissist. They put together a good deal. Cleveland indicated they'd match any offer, and they did.

You're not a scapegoat, but playing the victim here certainly serves your agenda for attention. Pathetic as usual.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Exactly. Earlier in this thread, TMD said he'd give credit where credit is due if the Jags made an offer on Mack. They did so and now he changes his position. Again. I'm more convinced than ever that Mad Dog's simply a troll with nothing better to do in life than hate on the Jags. Have fun with that I guess.

Quote:Its called being disappointed from getting caught up in the hype. Before any numbers were leaked, the rhetoric from the agent and some writers was that Jax would be able to write the contract in such a way that Cleveland wouldn't match. So, that kinda got hopes up more than they were. Its a let down now if the Browns match. 

That said, not going back on giving Caldwell credit for targeting the right player. 

This is just as I said before. More projection of anger thrown my way instead of throwing your disappoointment of missing out on Mack towards the Jags. 

Quote:He has done that forever.

I already addressed this (as proven above). There's no reason to bring it up again, unless agenda. 

Caldwell gets credit from me for targeting the right player. Not taking that away. But in the end, the Browns matched the deal immediately - and that suggests that the offer wasn't quite good enough. 

Quote:You are as predictable as the sunrise. You add no value. Please go away.

The diva is desperately trying to stoke outrage here in an attempt to get attention for himself. The fact that people aren't upset the way he would expect now has him diagnosing them as incapable of pointing blame at the team for screwing this up. This dime store diagnosis is brought to you by a fry cook clown who isn't even a fan of the team.

Quote:I already addressed this (as proven above). There's no reason to bring it up again, unless agenda. 

Caldwell gets credit from me for targeting the right player. Not taking that away. But in the end, the Browns matched the deal immediately - and that suggests that the offer wasn't quite good enough.
The team was smart to not overextend themselves for any player to the point where it hurts.

They are smart.

You? Not so much.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014, 11:24 AM by jtmoney.)

No, some people can put things in perspective and don't whine when they don't get their way.  I'm sure Caldwell is disappointed as well, but time to move on.  You are taking this above and beyond.  At this point, in your eyes, they would have gotten less flack for not trying... 

Quote:There's no reason to"vent disappointment at the team," you ignorant narcissist. They put together a good deal. Cleveland indicated they'd match any offer, and they did.

See I don't get this. 

In essence, everything is fine simply because we "tried". 

Trying without succeeding in getting the player isn't improving the roster. Its not helping improve the W column.

Its like I said yesterday. The NFL is a results orientated business. You either succeed or fail. There is no "try". I think I'm quoting Yoda, but whatever......its true.  

Quote:See I don't get this.

In essence, everything is fine simply because we "tried".

Trying without succeeding in getting the player isn't improving the roster. Its not helping improve the W column.

Its like I said yesterday. The NFL is a results orientated business. You either succeed or fail. There is no "try". I think I'm quoting Yoda, but whatever......its true.
Well, you should try adopting a similar mindset in the real world to match this high standard you set sitting in moms basement bellowing on like you have a clue in the virtual world.

To be honest, we're not going to see any major improvement in this team until Chad Henne is no longer our starting Quarterback.  I know that some people want to believe that he's going to turn things around.  Many of those same people said the same thing about Gabbert.

Alex Mack was never going to be the guy who put us over the top.  He'd have been a great addition to the Jags.  But the chances of ever getting him were slim.  To think that we did Cleveland a favor is ignorant.  Only blind homer browns fans think that this deal is great for Cleveland.  Like our good friend Mr. Grossi, who thinks Cleveland will be competitive and that Hoyer is the answer at QB (or at least until Cleveland drafts a QB, at which point he'll change his tune, and the new guy will be the future!)

If we did anyone a favor, it was Alex Mack.  Players around the league will see that.  And it will draw future free agents here, instead of elsewhere.  Which will help, because this team needs all the help it can get.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:To be honest, we're not going to see any major improvement in this team until Chad Henne is no longer our starting Quarterback.  I know that some people want to believe that he's going to turn things around.  Many of those same people said the same thing about Gabbert.

Alex Mack was never going to be the guy who put us over the top.  He'd have been a great addition to the Jags.  But the chances of ever getting him were slim.  To think that we did Cleveland a favor is ignorant.  Only blind homer browns fans think that this deal is great for Cleveland.  Like our good friend Mr. Grossi, who thinks Cleveland will be competitive and that Hoyer is the answer at QB (or at least until Cleveland drafts a QB, at which point he'll change his tune, and the new guy will be the future!)

If we did anyone a favor, it was Alex Mack.  Players around the league will see that.  And it will draw future free agents here, instead of elsewhere.  Which will help, because this team needs all the help it can get.

So you're another one unwilling to vent your outrage at the team. Shame on you.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014, 11:29 AM by jtmoney.)

Quote:See I don't get this. 

In essence, everything is fine simply because we "tried". 

Trying without succeeding in getting the player isn't improving the roster. Its not helping improve the W column.

Its like I said yesterday. The NFL is a results orientated business. You either succeed or fail. There is no "try". I think I'm quoting Yoda, but whatever......its true.  

Actually, there is a pay off.  You shouldn't look at single events as failures or successes.  It is doing the right thing constantly, working hard consistently and making good decisions over a period of time that will lead to good results.  Doing the little things over a long period of time will pay off.  You won't win every small battle because it isn't possible.  I'm sure Caldwell has gained some valuable experience in this situation as well.  And if we offered $1 or $2 million more as you suggested a 100 times, we still would have "failed" in your eyes.  So really there was no possible outcome that you would have approved of.

Quote:Actually, there is a pay off.  You shouldn't look at single events as failures or successes.  It is doing the right thing constantly, working hard consistently and making good decisions over a period of time that will lead to good results.  Doing the little things over a long period of time will pay off.  You won't win every small battle because it isn't possible.

You're talking to the queen of Myopia here. He's never going to focus on the big picture.

Quote:Actually, there is a pay off.  You shouldn't look at single events as failures or successes.  It is doing the right thing constantly, working hard consistently and making good decisions over a period of time that will lead to good results.  Doing the little things over a long period of time will pay off.  You won't win every small battle because it isn't possible.  I'm sure Caldwell has gained some valuable experience in this situation as well.  And if we offered $1 or $2 million more as you suggested a 100 times, we still would have "failed" in your eyes.  So really there was no possible outcome that you would have approved of.

FAILURE!!!!!

Quote:I already addressed this (as proven above). There's no reason to bring it up again, unless agenda.

And its been brought up time and again that no offer other than an absolutely RIDICULOUS one would have been enough to pry Mack from Cleveland.

Here are the facts:

1) Cleveland has more cap space than the Jags.

2) Cleveland is record stating that it would have taken a fully guaranteed 5 year contract for them to not match the offer.

No amount of ifs, ands, or buts will change what we know and what has happened. It was a nearly impossible feat.

Get over it.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote: 

Its not like we had a problem luring the 2nd tier free agents over the past 10 years. We just largely targeted the wrong ones.(pre Caldwell)  

As for the very top level Unrestricted Free Agents, or the ones that can seemingly pick their next destination - we won't be any more attractive of a destination for them until we emerge as a team that is seen as a legit SB contender. Just merely making an offer to Mack isn't making any of those FA want to come here. 

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014, 11:45 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

And if we offered $1 or $2 million more as you suggested a 100 times, we still would have "failed" in your eyes.  So really there was no possible outcome that you would have approved of.

Why would we still have failed? That would have been a contract that totaled upwards of 50 MIL over the life of it, and the extra 1-2 MIL per might have been enough of a deterrent combined with the other contract language, to make the Browns pass. The final contract we offered totaled 42 MIL, only slightly more than Kalil, Kelce. The contract I suggest was enough over the next closest that if the Browns matched, you simply tip your cap and say, congrats. Our offer really wasn't that high. People are quick to say we offered the highest C money in the league, but that alone, really is a claim that essentially falls after every successive FA period. Its not that a big a deal beating the previous highest by a couple $5 bills (figuratively) ...

Yeah, I know the rhetoric/ posturing coming from the Browns camp is that "the deal needed to be fully guaranteed 5 years for them to not match", but I don't buy that for a second. The Browns are merely using that platform as a flimsy attempt to discourage the rest of the league ( should the Browns transition another player down the line), from going after one of theirs in the future....